PDA

View Full Version : Any routine changes?

ErinLeigh
April 30th, 2014, 06:20 PM
With the new season coming up I am trying to evaluate my routine to see if it will work in the summer weather. It got me thinking about changes, experiments and seasonal routines.
I was wondering..has anyone changed their routine lately? Tried anything new? Did something different to you hair?
If so..what caused the decision..and how are you feeling about the change?

Even if you are thinking about a change..why?

vindo
April 30th, 2014, 06:40 PM
I never change up my routine actually. It is perfect for every day and every season. Sometimes I will use conditioner and sometimes skip it, but that is about it.
I wash gentle, oil a lot, do S&D as often as possible, don't dye, no heat...the usual stuff :)

ErinLeigh
April 30th, 2014, 06:50 PM
I never change up my routine actually. It is perfect for every day and every season. Sometimes I will use conditioner and sometimes skip it, but that is about it.
I wash gentle, oil a lot, do S&D as often as possible, don't dye, no heat...the usual stuff :)

I have looked at your blog site. I really enjoyed it. Your hair is beautiful and your story is really inspiring. You really took control and learned so much about yourself and your health. I am so glad you posted it. :) I am glad you have a solid routine that you can stay with. I wouldn't mess with it either if it worked.

BambooBeauty
April 30th, 2014, 06:51 PM
I am. I usually wash every other day, but I'm going to start co washing or using a cleansing conditioner (wen) instead of the shampoo every other time. For example I washed today with shampoo and then tomorrow Ill wear my hair up, Friday Ill co wash Sunday Ill shampoo etc etc. I'm also going to start leaving coconut oil in my hair over night before I shampoo.

Nadine <3
April 30th, 2014, 07:11 PM
My hair is getting greasier so I've been washing more, but that's it.

swearnsue
April 30th, 2014, 07:24 PM
I've started conditioning with two conditioners. After I shampoo I put one conditioner #1, Yes to Carrots, from ears down. Then after a few minutes I put on conditioner #2, Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose, ears down for a few minutes and then rinse.

The weather has been so dry, hot one day, then cold the next, it was making my hair very dry. After this double conditioning my hair feels much better.

ErinLeigh
April 30th, 2014, 07:40 PM
I like WCC also. I wonder how it will do in the summer but so far no signs of thinking I should stop it.

ErinLeigh
April 30th, 2014, 07:41 PM
I am. I usually wash every other day, but I'm going to start co washing or using a cleansing conditioner (wen) instead of the shampoo every other time. For example I washed today with shampoo and then tomorrow Ill wear my hair up, Friday Ill co wash Sunday Ill shampoo etc etc. I'm also going to start leaving coconut oil in my hair over night before I shampoo.

That sounds nice. :)

roseomalley
April 30th, 2014, 08:01 PM
I have started using Camellia oil on my ends. It is lighter and I am trying to not over oil. Also. i bought Lilly of the Desert, aloe vera styling spray. I stopped using hairspray a while ago, but needed a little something at times. Anyway, I spritzed it on my damp hair the other day, and my hair loves it! It gave it shine and body. My daughter noticed the shine right a way.

meteor
April 30th, 2014, 08:16 PM
Yes, seasonal changes are practically inevitable for me as dryness subsides a lot, and I need to wash hair almost twice as frequently. I also use harsher shampoos and lighter conditioners. And oils become unnecessary. Ironically, I use coconut oil more because it's finally not freezing in my hair like in colder months, so I might as well use it now.
I use more humectants and proteins because they don't give that crunchy/dry feeling that I get in winter time.
I also get to wash with slightly cool water because I'm not freezing in the shower anymore. :)

ARG
April 30th, 2014, 08:16 PM
I noticed my hair getting oily faster, so I'm definitely washing a bit more often. I do have more changes in the works, but those are yet to be decided, it'll really depend upon my hair's response to other things.

Weewah
April 30th, 2014, 09:14 PM
I don't have a routine change planned for the season changing, I'll just change it as I go since I'm still figuring out the best routine for myself. I've only been sporting my natural waves for like 2 months now so I'm still experimenting.

My current routine change though involves not using gels anymore. I like the controlled style gel gives me, but I cannot detangle my hair at the end of the day without it knotting up and causing splits. The gel glues the hairs together or something.

Yozhik
April 30th, 2014, 09:18 PM
I've been washing my hair more often (upped from 2 times a week to 3 :(), which has been making my scalp flakier, but in contrast, my roots have been getting greasier faster. I need to switch up my routine and change out my coney conditioner for my summer routine with AO honeysuckle rose, but I haven't taken the necessary steps to "reset" my routine yet...

I've been treating my scalp with tea tree oil, which seems to be helping quite a lot, but unfortunately, my roommates hate the smell of it, so now I feel self-conscious using it...I suppose I could try jojoba oil or coconut oil instead, but I'm barely at home, so I haven't had opportunity to do a good deep treatment for my scalp recently.

jacqueline101
April 30th, 2014, 09:19 PM
I'm thinking about keeping mine. I do hope saying this doesn't jinx my luck. I'm happy with this routine.

Dark40
April 30th, 2014, 09:24 PM
Yes, I've changed my routine lately for the spring and summer seasons. Instead of co-washing every other day I co-wash everday now.

ProverbsGirl
April 30th, 2014, 09:27 PM
Just this week (yesterday actually) I attempted a co wash..wanting to stretch my shampoo washes out again this summer.
It was a bit on the greasy side this morning, can't say I was surprised.
Going to add in some nightly scalp massage to help distribute oils..and wait out the grease. Really want to get closer to once a week washing.

ErinLeigh
April 30th, 2014, 09:47 PM
I love seeing people share their plans or satisfaction with routines. I tend to glean a lot from the ideas people have. Like the Camellia and aloe gel sound nice.
Seems some of us are increasing out washes for summer. Could there be any small link to the heat, humidity and more scalp massaging from extra washing in the summer effect why hair seems to grow faster this time of year?

Does anyone put away the butter in the summer? Do they get heavy or sticky? This is my first summer paying attention to hair.

For my changes..
I have been shedding last 3 days and I never shed so I am a bit perpelxed and nervous actually. I don't know if it is seasonal, high stress, normal, wearing hair up in the same way daily, or just time to tweak routine and put the heavy oils away for a while. I have noticed the shedding is where my clip sits. It didn't feel that way though. Lost a good 15 hairs per shed incident and there were 3 of them.

Since I haven't identified the reason yet I am going to take changes slow..but I am strongly considering bringing some cones in once in a while and since hair has felt tangly and dry. Maybe the Loreal Naturals Mega Moisture once a month, pulling out the Paul Mitchell Conditioner , and adding some Loreal Split End repair to the tips of the layers. I did a light SMT and then sealed the damp hair with avocado and emu to see if that will help.

I don't know why I would be getting these dryness tangles when others are getting oilier with the warming weather. I need to tweak something for sure. Too much coconut oil perhaps? Been using nightly to smooth the tangles.

meteor
April 30th, 2014, 10:07 PM
ErinLeigh, I really hope this shedding is just seasonal and will stop soon. If you get uncomfortable with the amounts, don't hesitate to ask your doctor to check your blood work.
In the meantime, I'd minimize all manipulation and not wear hair up in that clip if that's bothering your scalp and since that's where you are noticing shedding.

Seems some of us are increasing out washes for summer. Could there be any small link to the heat, humidity and more scalp massaging from extra washing in the summer effect why hair seems to grow faster this time of year?
Yes, both heat and scalp massages (from washing) can stimulate hair growth. And anecdotally, many people report faster hair growth when they move somewhere with hotter climate. But I think this initial surge in hair growth stabilizes over time. Nothing tricks the genes into growing hair much faster than what you are supposed to in the long run.

HumanBean
April 30th, 2014, 11:12 PM
Yea, with the warmer weather and increased humidity, my scalp is experiencing dryness and flakes within about 3 days after a wash, while my normal fall winter routine only requires me to wash once a week. So, washing more often and using more oil. Not sure what else to do.

clioariane
May 1st, 2014, 04:44 AM
I went from a more nourishing shampoo & conditioner combo to a lighter one recently. In the winter I tend to use thicker products but I wanted to switch it up now that my hair is longer and could use some more volume! I still do weekly deep conditioning treatments though.

Stray_mind
May 1st, 2014, 04:47 AM
I'm gonna try out CO washing next time i wash. I'm not sure though if i'll stick to it. I'll see how my hair reacts to it.

momschicklets
May 1st, 2014, 05:39 AM
Well I just recently switched to this sulfate-free shampoo and it's the best I've ever used....

http://www.amazon.com/DermOrganic-Sulfate-Free-Conditioning-Shampoo-Organic/dp/B002XWZH6A/ref=sr_1_1?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1398944019&sr=1-1&keywords=dermorganic+shampoo

Also I've decided to stop putting so much styling gel, cream, etc into my hair because, even though my hair looks a little frizzier with my waves than it did, I can stretch my washes better. It seems putting anything in my hair is a magnet for dirt and before I know it, I need to wash again. I get more volume and softness when I use less gunk.

jeanniet
May 1st, 2014, 10:19 AM
I don't think so. We don't have a big shift in terms of humidity/dew point that other areas do--warmer, of course, and somewhat drier, but not a huge difference--so I don't think there will be a big effect. I'm at the point where I have a good curly routine so that my hair looks pretty good most of the time. I'm not too eager to mess it up! :p

vindo
May 1st, 2014, 07:53 PM
I have looked at your blog site. I really enjoyed it. Your hair is beautiful and your story is really inspiring. You really took control and learned so much about yourself and your health. I am so glad you posted it. :) I am glad you have a solid routine that you can stay with. I wouldn't mess with it either if it worked.

Thank you! Glad you enjoyed my page :)
And that is exactly what I mean, once you have found something that works, you will stick with it. Most longhairs will be able to settle for a simpler routine with improved hair and scalp health.
My hair used to need very frequent washes because it would get oily and flat so quickly, but years later I found myself stretching to weekly washes :) (Atm every 3 days because of a scalp issue since pregnancy)
The ends also eventually responded well to natural moisture instead of silicones.

arr
May 2nd, 2014, 08:10 AM
Im incorporating a silicone conditioner back into my routine. My ends have been feeling velcro-y lately no matter what i do. Its to be expected since i haven't trimmed in a whole year except S&D, and I'm aiming for another 4 to 6 months before i trim. Oiling helps, but it makes my hair feel slightly sticky and attracts lint. I recently used the loreal total repair 5 reconstructive conditioner with ceramides and i love it! I only use it on the last third of my length so my hair doesn't get weighed down, and now i can run my fingers through my hair all the way to the ends and not "catch" on the ends. I also use a small amount as a leave in. So that is my main change to my routine. I have other cone free conditioners i like and will continue to use. My husband finds it humorous that i only have one shampoo but five conditioners in the shower.