PDA

View Full Version : Scalp help!

moniquerenaud
April 30th, 2014, 04:57 PM
Today I noticed my scalp was itchy and there were tiny little bumps on it. Upon further inspection, I found the bumps are red. Not big, no puss coming out, not pimple. Just red little itchy bumps. There are also dandruff-like flakes in my hair. Is this dandruff? The only thing I can think of that caused this is yesterday I clarified using Ferraki apple cider clarifying shampoo-except I've used it before and never had this problem. I usually use sulfate free shampoos and every few weeks I clarify. Does anyone know what my problem is and/or how to treat it?

vindo
April 30th, 2014, 06:36 PM
I suspect a fungus. They are very common and almost 50% of people have at least a mild case of yeast. If it is mild it can simply cause flakes, then itching, then advance to bigger flakes and stinky scalp residue...
Bumps like what you describe can happen when a fungus clogs up your pores so much that all the dirt gets trapped and little pimples grow. I had a fungal infection on my face even, and the same small, red and mostly puss free bumps. Anti Fungal Cream will help (like Monistat for example). It can be applied diluted and should be used every day for at least three months. The hair will look slightly greasy when dried...not the best look but a fungus is no fun either. It can lead to increased hair loss as well.
You can test to see if the cream helps you, if it doesn't after ten days you can stop using it and the problem is something else. Additionally you can also wash with Anti Fungal (Dandruff) Shampoo.

ErinLeigh
April 30th, 2014, 07:00 PM
Emichiee, do you think the reason Monistat works for some and not others is due to their being an underlying fungus issue? I have wondered about that.

meteor
April 30th, 2014, 08:58 PM
It's so tough to recommend anything without a diagnosis. :( I really recommend getting a doctor's opinion.

My go-to solutions for problematic scalp are neem oil, aloe vera with water, honey with water, maybe some herbal rinse with calendula or chamomile. They won't hurt (if you aren't allergic, of course), and they are somewhat anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory.

vindo
May 1st, 2014, 07:50 PM
Emichiee, do you think the reason Monistat works for some and not others is due to their being an underlying fungus issue? I have wondered about that.

Yes, that is a theory I have! A fungus can inhibit growth that you would naturally be able to enjoy if your scalp was 100% healthy.
Yeast is so common also because a modern diet can really feed a yeast problem. We eat much more high and processed carb foods that people in past centuries. And all sorts of skin issues have really boomed!
For example, modern grains like the wheat we consume nowadays were altered to contain "more" of everything, more starch, more gluten etc. But, this is much more than many of us can handle, so illnesses related to gluten also rise.

moniquerenaud
May 1st, 2014, 10:21 PM
Sad to say that I've come to the conclusion I have lice:( ugh so upset