PDA

View Full Version : Sensitive scalp from sleeping with a bun?

Myork
April 30th, 2014, 12:29 PM
Is it normal for my scalp to hurt too much to do anything with my hair after I kept it up for a day? I have fine hair and I slept with my hair in a bun on top of my head to increase volume. Works like a charm, but it isn't the most comfortable sleeping style for me. I wore a braid for most of the day, but now my scalp hurts too much even for two side plaits, my go-to-style for relaxation.

Is this normal? The only way it doesn't hurt at the moment is when I let it hang loose. Should I be more considerate to my scalp or is this normal when your hair gets to this length? My hair is 6 inches from my tailbone and this is the longest it has been since I went in high school.

Mya
April 30th, 2014, 12:43 PM
I think it's totally normal. Sensitivity is individual, so you don't have to worry if someone else doesn't have the same reactions as you.

Keeping my hair up or braided as a habit doesn't feel comfortable to me, so I almost always wear it down and as sleeping style I wear a ponytail on the top of my head with the elastic loosely wrapped.

ravenreed
April 30th, 2014, 01:17 PM
Some people just seem to have more tender scalps than others. Mine gets more sensitive the longer my hair gets. So, I would say it's 'normal for you (and me).'

Madora
April 30th, 2014, 01:22 PM
If your hair isn't used to being in an up position, then there's a good chance your follicles will protest and your scalp will hurt.

To avoid this, wear the style up for a short period of time, then take it down.

Increase the length of time you wear the style each day until you can comfortably wear it for 8 hours or longer.

You should also be careful not to pull up the hair too tightly when wearing it up. That puts too much strain on the follicles.

schnibbles
April 30th, 2014, 03:00 PM
On nights I wash my hair, I sleep with it damp in a loose top-knot. On nights I don't wash it, just a loose ponytail draped over my pillow. (I don't move a lot)
Both held with a fabric scrunchie (Kimmie Gibbler style) I also think it's normal to have some scalp sensitivity... what helps me is alternating methods every other night. :sleep:

Nadine <3
April 30th, 2014, 03:11 PM
Same here. I wore a french braid for 3 days straight and it hurt when I took it down. This morning my roommate was complaining that her eyebrows hurt. I probably gave her a weird look, but she says sometimes her eyebrow hairs get pushed in the wrong direction because she sleep on her stomach. In the morning her follicles hurt. Totally normal.

gonzobird
April 30th, 2014, 03:12 PM
When my hair is really dirty it hurts to keep it on top of my head for any lengthy amount of time.I put it up when my hair is about 80% dry and clean, let it dry on the top of my head, and theres lots of volume.

Brileeka
April 30th, 2014, 03:20 PM
yes you are normal. My scalp hurts from everything. Every time I put my hair up I have to take it down and leave it alone for a couple days for it to stop hurting. Then I can't stand to have it down all the time. It's tbl now and it gets in the way of everything! I can never win.