View Full Version : Toner for home use?

tsf
April 30th, 2014, 07:30 AM
My hair was BSL and I gave up and whacked it off to collar length because the texture had become very bad. I stopped using henna, and had it streaked to allow me to grow out the gray gracefully. That actually worked pretty well.

My texture is still a little rough but definitely better. It's been about year since I had the highlights and they did a good job of hiding the skunk stripe for the grow out process. Now, I have 50/50 gray/brown mix for about 5 inches from the scalp, and about 5 inches of brown/highlighted hair at the ends. The transition line is visible but not too terribly obvious.

My issue now is that the highlighted area will be with me for a while as it grows out and it has become brassy. It needs a toner on it. I have used a couple of the "purple shampoos" and they did a good job of fixing the color but they were very very drying. I usually do CO, so would like to avoid the shampoo. How do I select a toner at the beauty supply store? I've done color at home but toner is a whole different thing and I do not know how to select one.

Any tips?

Laccaria
April 30th, 2014, 11:32 AM
There are purple conditioners avaliable. I didn't find the one I tried (Clairol Shimmer Lights) to be very moisturizing. It did tone, though. You can also add just a little bit of a purple semipermanent dye like Manic Panic (I've used the purple from the Ion Brights line) mixed with your regular conditioner. Obviously, this mix is going to require a bit of tweaking to get the right level of toning without turning the bleached bits lavender, but it is cheap and easy and completely non-damaging. Plus, if you do go a little too purple it does wash out.

CremeTron
May 3rd, 2014, 11:38 AM
I second this ^^

I use purple crazy colour weekly to keep my white streak at the front, white. I used a bit too much today and so it is stained purple for now. When mixing aim for the conditioner to be lavender colour. Don't accidentally dye your hair purple!

MINAKO
May 3rd, 2014, 11:42 AM
Revlon Nutri Color in Platinum gives an amazing cool tone to brassy hair. I actually use it, although i have black hair, but for me i often mix it with the blue. Anyways, the color payoff is pretty amazing and it leaves the hair in great condition.