PDA

View Full Version : Scalp hates SLS free?

Kherome
April 30th, 2014, 07:19 AM
I have tried more than once to go SLS free. I have tried Aubrey products. I have tried Shea moisture products. Burts bees, etc. My hair always ends up feeling sticky/coated (NOT a rinsing issues since after the first time I got that feeling I made sure to spend lots of time carefully rinsing each section of hair for a long time to try to avoid it.) and my scalp ends up feeling itchy/dirty in 1 to 2 days time. (Sometimes it has even caused a "break out" of my scalp skin.)

WHY? Am I just not going to be able to switch to gentler products? I really would like to. But I end up grabbing the SLS bottle and shampooing the itchy dirty feeling away. Is there another brand I should try? Shea moisture was my latest failed SLS free shampoo. I loved their "curl and style" milk but the shampoo doesn't work for me. This is frustrating to feel trapped into SLS shampoos.

Imalath
April 30th, 2014, 09:25 AM
I had this problem myself in the past with CO washing; no matter what conditioner I used, my scalp hated it. I gave up and went back to sls and coney products after it broke out in bleeding sores and I lost half my volume. :( Now I am having allergic reactions to every soap/detergent that touches my skin and starting another attempt at sls and cone-free hair products. I bought a few things from the SheaMoisture line to try yesterday, but haven't used them yet.

I don't have any advice for you, but I just wanted to say I understand your frustrations! I hope you can find a balance of products for your hair that your scalp is happy with :D

bunnylake
April 30th, 2014, 10:16 AM
SLES or Sodium Laureth Sulfate is considerably gentler than SLS. Maybe look for shampoos that contain that particular sulfate. There may be other types of sulfates that are less harsh than SLS but I don't know them offhand. What I do know is not all sulfates are the same!

earthybee
April 30th, 2014, 10:27 AM
The only SLS free shampoo that works for me is Dermorganic conditioning shampoo. All other's drive my scalp nuts.

Verdandi
April 30th, 2014, 11:06 AM
I can't use sulfate free shampoos either. It's allright the first two washes but then the scalp rebellion starts; itchies, flakyness and if I continue, my scalp gets sore.
I've settled with using products containing Sodium coco sulfate instead, they're supposed to be more gently than SLS, and my scalp is fine with the compromise.

ExpectoPatronum
April 30th, 2014, 12:12 PM
You're not alone. I can't go SLS free either. My scalp likes its sulfates. My length also likes cones. It just goes to show that what works for some people doesn't work for others. And look on the bright side, it's easy to find cheap SLS shampoo :)

panffle
April 30th, 2014, 12:22 PM
Just because some say SLS free is better doesn't mean it's better for you. Use whatever works for your scalp.

Panth
April 30th, 2014, 12:22 PM
Perhaps because sulphate-free shampoos are catered to the 'natural' crowd, and thus often contain lots of plant extracts? That's the only thing I can think of...

(If I was you, I'd just go back to SLS, but dilute it to minimise the stripping.)

Mya
April 30th, 2014, 12:35 PM
If it's SLS that works for you, why change?

two_wheels
April 30th, 2014, 12:46 PM
My scalp hates non-SLS too- I've tried CO, different SLS-free shampoos, shampoo bars. Bars seemed to last longest before rebellion, a couple of weeks.

I've decided to go back to SLS and use coconut oil as a prewash to stop the shampoo from drying my hair out.

Subscribing for more ideas/experiences though :)

sourgrl
April 30th, 2014, 12:47 PM
I thought the same until I tried Giovanni. It's the only SLS fee shampoo that works for me. Prior to finding it I used a shampoo like bunnylake suggested with good results. If sulfates are working for you but you're looking for a gentler way to shampoo maybe diluting what already works for you is the answer.

molljo
April 30th, 2014, 12:56 PM
There's no law that says you must be SLS free. I think all the different washing techniques/products exist so everyone can find the special thing that works best for their own scalp and hair. If SLS gives you the best results, then there's no reason for you not to use it. If you're really concerned, I second what was mentioned above to dilute it.

ravenreed
April 30th, 2014, 01:21 PM
I haven't found an SLS-free shampoo yet that works for me. It doesn't seem to matter the ph level or anything else. I have tried all sorts and either they leave my hair dry, don't clean well enough to use, or something in them irritates the heck out of my scalp. I mostly CO, and when needed just use an SLS shampoo. I know my scalp isn't keen on SLS, so I am more likely to shampoo from the ears down. However, I do shampoo the scalp too from time to time. In the long run my hair and scalp are less unhappy with SLS than with the SLS-free stuff.

dancingrain91
April 30th, 2014, 01:45 PM
My head gets itchy without SLS too. I just preoil my hair and try to keep it down to once or twice a week. I CO the rest of the time.

Kherome
April 30th, 2014, 01:50 PM
There's no law that says you must be SLS free. I think all the different washing techniques/products exist so everyone can find the special thing that works best for their own scalp and hair. If SLS gives you the best results, then there's no reason for you not to use it. If you're really concerned, I second what was mentioned above to dilute it.

Dilute it with what? Water? A non-sls shampoo? Oil? Conditioner?

Kherome
April 30th, 2014, 01:56 PM
If it's SLS that works for you, why change?

Because my hair is very fine and if I hope to grow longer than it is now (Classic) I'm going to need to be as gentle as possible to grow on further.

sourgrl
April 30th, 2014, 02:00 PM
Dilute it with water

meteor
April 30th, 2014, 02:33 PM
Because my hair is very fine and if I hope to grow longer than it is now (Classic) I'm going to need to be as gentle as possible to grow on further.

Hm, I'd be surprised if it turned out that SLS can keep a person from growing to terminal length. If you've read about this somewhere, could you please let us know, because it would probably make many of us review our routines.

Shampoos can be mild or stripping whether they have SLS or not, a lot depends on the formulation.

Personally, I only use SLS-free shampoos in rotation, and SLS products once a month or so, since they make my scalp happy. I dilute with water a lot, as I get a better cleanse that way, and it's less stripping too.

Kherome
April 30th, 2014, 02:43 PM
I didn't say it would prevent TL growth. I said I need to be as gentle as possible and SLS is not known for being gentle. I'm QUALITY over quantity any day. I don't want to have long "eh" hair, I want it nice, and with hair this fine that takes a lot of work. I've had taper issues already. Microtrimming is helping but I am attempting to weight the deck in my favor as much as possible.

molljo
April 30th, 2014, 03:57 PM
Dilute it with what? Water? A non-sls shampoo? Oil? Conditioner?

Water. Get a separate bottle, probably travel sized, so you have more frequent occasions to experiment with finding the dilution that works best for you. Start with 1/3 shampoo to 2/3 water. I use distilled, but that's only because I have hard water, and I'd prefer not to get my shampoo all mineral-y.

ErinLeigh
April 30th, 2014, 03:58 PM
I understand what you are saying. Bunnylake is right about the more gentle sulfates which can be an option. One I like is Temple Spa Good Hair Day Frequent Use Shampoo. Has the (Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate and Cocamidoprophyl betaine) and smells so relaxing.
Another option may be to rotate..use the sulfates one wash and a really gentle non sulfate another time. Solves half the issue.
Sometimes I think fine hair appreciates sulfates. Our hair can build up so quickly sulfates end up helping sometimes more than hurting. My all time favorite hair days are sulfate washing days but since they are harder on my hair I just use them in a rotation.

If you are on the hunt, Makeup Alley has great reviews on a lot of products.

Have you tried The Loreal Eversleek? They make a creamy and a clear version of the shampoo both is cone free with excellent lather. Maybe slightly coating in an oil based way but not sticky. The Loreal Everstrong Version has cones in the Shampoo so if you like cones that is another. Demorganic has rave reviews. Renpure if you haven't tried may be a good one to test first as it is drugstore available. Giovanni. Trader Joes Tea Tree Tingle (this one is great, feels clean)) Possibly the Yes to carrots/Blueberries. Aveda, Jason, Morrocanoil (good lather), Pureology, Joico even has one. Just a few that come to mind to test. Oh, there is one at Sallys which smells like ginger/pumpkin that rinses well and doesnt leave film. It is in ethnic section..Naturally Silk Elements Moisturizing Shampoo.

If you find sulfates are a must, products like Biolage and Nexxus are fantastic. Sally's has knock off of them both, huge bottles for $6. Pre wash oiling with coconut or CWC may be of help if you stay with sulfates (not sure if that is already in routine or not)

Shea Moisture and Burts Bees make my hair feel really coated too. I think it could be the formula and extras more than the cleansing ingredient sometimes. I couldn't use either of them more than once it was so bad. If you want something like thick like Shea Moisture without the stickiness...Creme of Nature Argan Shampoo is that same thick/creamy texture and it is so gentle and moisturizing.

If you can, get some sample sizes from Sallys, drugstores and online of various SLS free and try. There may be one needle in the haystack for you with a little searching.
I wish you really good luck. Product experimenting can be costly and stressful. Marshall and TJ Max are a good place to find the higher end brands at an affordable cost if that helps. All the ones I have gotten there were quality and not watered down or fakes so far.

EDIT: Another option if you use sulfates is to look with one with water soluble cones, This will help the cuticle lie smooth in wash, yet will rinse out clean and not weigh down fine hair. That may help with some of the concerns you have with sulfates. Paul Mitchell line is excellent for this.

patienceneeded
April 30th, 2014, 07:04 PM
I can't use SLS free shampoos either. After 2-3 washes my whole scalp itches and I start to break out in little bumps. I did have success with Giovanni brand shampoo (specifically the 50:50 Balancing) but switched back to a "normal" shampoo and conditioner with SLS and cones in the conditioner. My hair and scalp are happier that way.