PDA

View Full Version : Children's Shampoo vs Regular Shampoo

ArtThistle
April 29th, 2014, 12:33 PM
A friend of mine started using Suave Kids about a year ago. Over the past few months, most of my other friends have switched to children's shampoos. I laughed at them a little bit at first but then I noticed that their hair was softer, shinier, and smelled AMAZING! The only thing they changed about their hair routine was their shampoo and conditioner.

I did a little bit of research into it and it seems like the general consensus is that there's nothing wrong with using children's shampoo and, it would appear, that there are actually a lot of benefits.

I'm wondering if anyone here has tried this and if they had good results?

Nadine <3
April 29th, 2014, 12:38 PM
*sits in thread and waits for answers*

Nightshade
April 29th, 2014, 12:51 PM
I suppose it depends. Some "children's" shampoos are just diluted versions of adult shampoos, but often without the "damage repair" silicones, but are still slightly acidic (your scalp and hair prefer an acidic environment). "Baby/No More Tears" shampoos are alkaline because they're tuned to the PH of eyeballs (hence why they don't sting when they get in your eyes). I would say the former might produce better results on adults than the latter. It's just a less harsh shampoo than they're used to using with fewer ingredients that might coat the hair.

Weewah
April 29th, 2014, 12:51 PM
Looks like all the Suave kids shampoos are 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioners, so maybe that has something to do with it?

Here's the ingredients for the Suave Kids 2-in -1 Hair Smoothers Shampoo:
Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Hydroxysultaine, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Dimethiconol, Carbomer, Fragrance, Polyquaternium 10, TEA Dodecylbenzene Sulfonate, Tetrasodium EDTA, DMDM Hydantoin, PEG 150 Distearate, Sodium Citrate, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, PPG 9, Mica (CI 77019), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891)

Eta: For comparison here's the ingredients for the Suave Adult 2-in-1: Suave Performance Series 2 in 1 Plus Shampoo & Conditioner:
Water (Aqua), Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Dimethiconol, Sodium Chloride, TEA Dodecylbenzene Sulfonate, Carbomer, Propylene Glycol, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Tetrasodium EDTA, Fragrance (Parfum), PPG 9, Citric Acid, DMDM Hydantoin, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Methenamine, Mica, Titanium Dioxide (Cl 77891), Yellow 10 Aluminum Lake (CI 47005), Blue 1 Lake (CI 42090)

patienceneeded
April 29th, 2014, 12:56 PM
I used Burts Bees Baby for about 6 weeks one time. It left my hair feeling a bit funny. It was definitely one of those kid-safe, tear-free shampoos. It didn't work well for me. I believe there is a difference between baby shampoo and "kids" shampoo though.

Kids shampoo is essentially the same as an adults, just marketed with cuter bottles, cartoon characters, childish scents, and don't forget...a higher price because it's "for the kids."

Sorry. My cynicism is showing again...

DD never used "kids shampoo." She went from baby stuff to regular stuff.

AcornMystic
April 29th, 2014, 01:04 PM
Actually... at the beginning of my hair journey I went a step further and used baby shampoo. Johnson and Johnson lavendar scented. I felt as though I was constantly walking through a garden of lavendar wherever I went. Goodluck finding a beautiful scent like that in the regular shampoo amongst synthetic plastic-y fruit aroma. If I had my way I'd tell everyone to boycott "adult" shampoos and stick to the gentler stuff. The only reason anyone should use that nasty stuff is to remove the plethora of just as nasty gunky styling products they have out there. Unnatural chemicals to remove even more unnatural chemicals.

The only reason I stopped using it is because it was at the beginning of my journey and I had discovered so many options I needed to experiment. I recommend baby shampoo. It will open your eyes to just what little it takes to maintain hair. It's also a nice transition product the more natural hair care methods.

sarahthegemini
April 29th, 2014, 01:32 PM
Personally I don't think baby shampoos are anu gentler than most 'adults' shampoos. The only difference is the pH level.

Nightshade
April 29th, 2014, 01:43 PM
The alkaline PH of baby shampoos is actually worse for your scalp and hair- a slightly acidic PH balances your scalp and also lays the cuticle of your hair down more tightly.

AcornMystic
April 29th, 2014, 01:48 PM
The alkaline PH of baby shampoos is actually worse for your scalp and hair- a slightly acidic PH balances your scalp and also lays the cuticle of your hair down more tightly.

So would simply adding ACV fix it?

AcornMystic
April 29th, 2014, 01:52 PM
Personally I don't think baby shampoos are anu gentler than most 'adults' shampoos. The only difference is the pH level.

Any baby shampoo I haved read the ingredients of are considerably shorter in length and don't contain sls and similar "engine cleaner" ingredients.

Nightshade
April 29th, 2014, 01:57 PM
So would simply adding ACV fix it?

I think chasing it with an ACV rinse would be better, that way you're not altering a formula that otherwise works for you. :)

HazelBug
April 29th, 2014, 05:43 PM
I've started to use my son't baby bubble bath/wash as shampoo. I find that it doesn't strip my hair as much. My scalp likes the more gentle wash. I tried the specific baby shampoo though and my hair didn't like it as well.

DweamGoiL
April 29th, 2014, 08:07 PM
I have been using a combo baby wash/shampoo and love it!