PDA

View Full Version : Simplistic Designs metal combs

dulce
April 29th, 2014, 12:14 PM
I just found this online site-what gorgeous combs!Would love to see action pictures if anyone has any..

Stormynights
April 29th, 2014, 09:35 PM
Did you watch the last video? Now I want one.

dulce
April 29th, 2014, 09:44 PM
I would love to see action pics and hear if people like theirs.The videos make them look super easy to wear in many different styles ..But they are pricey.

Stormynights
April 29th, 2014, 10:19 PM
I think the cheapest ones were $85. but they have a lifetime warranty. I won't be getting one any time soon.

Alaska98
October 16th, 2015, 05:39 PM
Bumping this. I've been looking at the "silver rain" comb for well over a year... I know there are somewhat similar and cheaper things on Etsy, but as of yet none of the designs have impressed me like the silver rain.

PrincessBob
October 18th, 2015, 02:37 PM
Here are a couple old pictures of my SD comb, I don't know the name of the style. It is something like a cross between the Aubrey and the Astoria.http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y163/Princess_Bob/hair/peacocktwistback.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y163/Princess_Bob/hair/peacocktwistback-1.jpg

Alaska98
October 18th, 2015, 06:21 PM
Do you own any of the cheaper Etsy ones (skydesigns, Northwestgoods, oregonjewelry)? I figure if the quality of simplistic designs is significantly better, it may be worth the large price difference. But if it's just that they have, imo, prettier styles and not better quality, it's not worth it to me.

PrincessBob
October 22nd, 2015, 01:09 PM
Do you own any of the cheaper Etsy ones (skydesigns, Northwestgoods, oregonjewelry)? I figure if the quality of simplistic designs is significantly better, it may be worth the large price difference. But if it's just that they have, imo, prettier styles and not better quality, it's not worth it to me.

I do own a large fork from NorthwestGoods it has straight tines and little blebs or balls of metal on the end of each tine. Before I had my SD comb lengthened it had just very smoothely rounded ends to the tines. After it was lengthened, the tines had almost blunt ends with just the corners of the cut rounded (if that makes sense). I have an easier time getting the NWG fork into my hair, because the lack of wiggle, but the SD is easier to remove, thanks to lack of blebs.

I also have a SkyeDesigns skinny fork that also has blebs. You will have a hard time finding combs from members of the Spehar family that are as wide as the SD combs, but it is possible. Both styles are worthwhile for their own reasons. For me, the SD fork is more fancy and formal and the price reflects this. The joins will all be fairly smooth and the wavy tines are great for learning how to use a metal comb. Also, the SD lifetime warranty is pretty nice. The combs by the Spehar family are more quirky and less elegant, but very worth the price. If you are already proficient with combs, you may find the price break a welcome advantage.

I endorse and support them both.

Alaska98
October 23rd, 2015, 08:12 AM
Thanks for the comparison! I think I'll browse the Etsy shops again, and if I actually like the metal, maybe try to get a SD for a birthday or something.

missrandie
October 23rd, 2015, 09:23 AM
Oh my word! The Ruby comb caught my attention the most.. I may have saves a screenshot of it.

I think most of the price of the SD combs comes from the material. They are, after all, using silver for most of this. So the price doesn't bug me. It's hair jewelry.

Alaska98
October 23rd, 2015, 09:31 AM
"German silver" is not actually silver. It's not just the price holding me back (I do own several tt of comparable price point), it's also that I don't know if I'll like a metal fork/comb. I'd hate to buy a SD and end up hating metal in my hair and never use it. I have a set of bijoux Manoel pins I don't care for, but I'm not sure if it's because they're metal. They're kind of malleable and curved in such a that I can't make them comfortable.

PrincessBob
October 23rd, 2015, 10:52 AM
Oh my word! The Ruby comb caught my attention the most.. I may have saves a screenshot of it.

I think most of the price of the SD combs comes from the material. They are, after all, using silver for most of this. So the price doesn't bug me. It's hair jewelry.

The Spehar family also uses German Silver (a bronze alloy), I think it more comes with the style. SimplisticDesigns, takes themselves very seriously and the style is very elegant, Oregon Jewelry, playful designs and a style somewhat folk art-ish.

two_wheels
October 25th, 2015, 06:44 AM
I've been messing around with mine today... totally stole your french-twist-into-pony idea PrincessBob, thanks! :)
http://i.imgur.com/a1EM2hC.jpg
I find it holds very well on big hair days, but overwhelms my hair on small hair days. So I use it when I want a bit of whelming.

missrandie
October 25th, 2015, 08:09 AM
Well, I stand corrected and a little disappointed. Oh well.. I suppose I could get one in just bronze and coppper if I ever got one, because my body plays hell with nickel.

PrincessBob
October 25th, 2015, 11:18 AM
I've been messing around with mine today... totally stole your french-twist-into-pony idea PrincessBob, thanks! :)
http://i.imgur.com/a1EM2hC.jpg
I find it holds very well on big hair days, but overwhelms my hair on small hair days. So I use it when I want a bit of whelming.

I learned how to do it from the man at Simplistic Designs (I tracked them down at the Oregon State Fair about four years ago to buy mine). Please do steal it, because it takes so little effort, but looks really elegant. My ex girlfriend always showers me with compliments if I wear my hair this way.

two_wheels
October 25th, 2015, 11:21 AM
I learned how to do it from the man at Simplistic Designs (I tracked them down at the Oregon State Fair about four years ago to buy mine). Please do steal it, because it takes so little effort, but looks really elegant. My ex girlfriend always showers me with compliments if I wear my hair this way.

Oh that's cool! yes, it's very easy, and it's cute to have a shoulder length ponytail again :cloud9: one day maybe I'll think it's cute to have a waist length ponytail again like you :laugh: