PDA

View Full Version : Hello lovelies! Quick question about length!

missquinzel
April 29th, 2014, 11:27 AM
I started a personal tumblr for myself just to kind of blog my progress and whatnot so i'm not constantly bothering my FB friends with pictures of my hair progress. I don't think they will ever quite understand my excitement :p

I always let my hair air dry and then i'll wrap in a towel for a bit. Then I put it up in big claw clips while it air dries naturally and comb it through with a wide toothed comb made specifically for wavy/curly hair. So the question is, since this is how I do my hair 99% of the time i'm more comfortable taking my progress pictures when it looks like that. So with that in mind, is where I marked my line on my picture about where BSL would be? http://37.media.tumblr.com/27b300f428c52d5f82dad6d2d3557951/tumblr_n4relgxcat1rp3psco1_500.png

And do you think if I continue going heat and trim free for a year I could reach that length by April 2015? I measure my hair length when it's wet (just because it's more accurate for me that way) but prefer to take my progress pictures dry and "Styled" the way it would typically look so I don't feel like i'm cheating. My avatar picture shows how my hair really waves when it is allowed to drip dry and be un-scrunched and uncombed.

Laurenji
April 29th, 2014, 12:01 PM
The rough rule of thumb I always go by is that hair grows (on average) half an inch a month, so 6 inches in a year. With wavies/curlies it's obviously a little different since the curl pattern eats up a little length, but looking at your picture, I'd say it's doable, although you probably shouldn't trim much or at all if that's what you're going for, since it looks like it's probably right around 6 inches away.

DancingQueen
April 29th, 2014, 12:11 PM
Well, I think people define BSL slightly different. To me, BSL is when my hair reaches the bottom line of where my bra is supposed to be (not when it slips up). Wether or not you can make it, I couldn't tell you; it depends how fast your hair grows, and how often you have to cut it. :)

jacqueline101
April 29th, 2014, 12:19 PM
Well, I think people define BSL slightly different. To me, BSL is when my hair reaches the bottom line of where my bra is supposed to be (not when it slips up). Wether or not you can make it, I couldn't tell you; it depends how fast your hair grows, and how often you have to cut it. :)

Bra strap is at the bottom of the bra strap. We used to have the official hair chart somewhere and they have a stickied guideline on the one that gum ball put on here. It has bsl and all the other lengths. Growth rates vary and you could do an intervention method to speed up hair growth.

missquinzel
April 29th, 2014, 12:37 PM
Thanks all :) I guess i'll just consider where I marked it for now a sort of a "mini" BSL. That will be my mini goal for the year haha. I was following sort of along the lines of this chart here http://thehairvolution.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/untitled3.png

but wasn't sure if it was completely accurate or not. But I suppose it will suffice, anything just to show some progress. I'll do measurements every month with the same bra and same shirt with my hair styled the same for more accurate measurements. It's just tough with thick hair because it likes to grow "Wider" than it does long if that makes sense. Plus the longer it grows the more my little waves kind of like to turn upwards lol So getting it accurate is quite the pain.

lazuliblue
April 29th, 2014, 12:47 PM
Would you be willing to share your tumblr URL? I have tumblr and I'd love to follow your blog!

ARG
April 29th, 2014, 12:49 PM
The second post (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=54874) will tell you the definitions of BSL and other lengths.

How fast your hair grows really depends upon body chemistry. .5"-1.0" Is typically viewed as normal growth, but that to can change depending on changes in season and hormones. Fragile hair can sometimes seem like it takes longer, since its more prone to breakage.

Good luck on your journey!

tigereye
April 29th, 2014, 04:01 PM
I'd put it a little lower to be honest. Firstly, I always thought of BSL as the bottom of the bra-strap. I think the other thing that makes me think that it is lower is that it looks to me like the back of your bra strap is up too high, like the shoulder-straps are too tight or the band too loose so it's rising up at the back. Pull a tape measure around your underbust, parallel to the floor, and that should give a pretty good indication of where BSL should be.

lapushka
April 29th, 2014, 04:34 PM
I'd put it a little lower to be honest. Firstly, I always thought of BSL as the bottom of the bra-strap. I think the other thing that makes me think that it is lower is that it looks to me like the back of your bra strap is up too high, like the shoulder-straps are too tight or the band too loose so it's rising up at the back. Pull a tape measure around your underbust, parallel to the floor, and that should give a pretty good indication of where BSL should be.

I'd put BSL lower as well. To me it's bottom of the bra-strap as well (underneath the breast in front). Happy growing.

divinedobbie
April 29th, 2014, 11:51 PM
I am also under the impression that it looks like your bra strap is riding up and should actually be about 2 inches lower. Also most people define BSL as the bottom of the bra strap (as has already been mentioned). :)

molljo
April 30th, 2014, 12:06 AM
I am also under the impression that it looks like your bra strap is riding up and should actually be about 2 inches lower. Also most people define BSL as the bottom of the bra strap (as has already been mentioned). :)

Agree with all of this. Semi-off topic, missquinzel, I definitely think you're wearing the wrong size bra.

missquinzel
April 30th, 2014, 01:15 AM
Would you be willing to share your tumblr URL? I have tumblr and I'd love to follow your blog!

Sure :) This is it but it's not very exciting lol http://notsogoldielocks.tumblr.com/ I'm not very tumblr savvy!

missquinzel
April 30th, 2014, 01:18 AM
Agree with all of this. Semi-off topic, missquinzel, I definitely think you're wearing the wrong size bra.

It's possible! This bra has been a bit tight but just happened to be one of my clean ones that day. I'll have to loosen the straps I think or find one of my other bras to use for measuring.

Quick edit: Since I was awake I tried on another one of my bras and it seems like it's rather close to the same spot as this one as well. I think this is just where "BSL" is on me because of my rather...interestingly sized chest I prefer my straps a bit tighter to hold me up. So I think i'm just going to call this my "mini BSL" for now. It just seems like it works for my body/bra wearing. In 6-12 months though as the growing becomes more noticeable I may tweak it a little bit.

Flor
April 30th, 2014, 01:51 AM
^ Sweets, you might want to look up proper bra fitting. The shoulder straps are not supposed to hold you up. If the bra band is tight enough, it accounts the biggest part of the support job that the bra is doing. Try hooking up the one you're wearing on the photo to its last set of hooks (looks like you're using the loosest ones), pull it a few inches lower, loosen the shoulder straps by a few inches as well. You may need to go at least a size smaller in the band and a size bigger in cups for your future bra purchases, but do look up proper bra fitting guides online or consider getting fitted in store.

tigereye
April 30th, 2014, 02:00 AM
^ Sweets, you might want to look up proper bra fitting. The shoulder straps are not supposed to hold you up. If the bra band is tight enough, it accounts the biggest part of the support job that the bra is doing. Try hooking up the one you're wearing on the photo to its last set of hooks (looks like you're using the loosest ones), pull it a few inches lower, loosen the shoulder straps by a few inches as well. You may need to go at least a size smaller in the band and a size bigger in cups for your future bra purchases, but do look up proper bra fitting guides online or consider getting fitted in store.

This. The shoulder-straps shouldn't be holding you up. I could almost wear my regular bra strapless because the band does at least 90% of the work (probably just as well since the vast majority of bras have the shoulder straps too wide-set for my shoulders).
if you're currently, for example, a 32 C, try a 30 D, keep the shoulder straps loose and see whether the band sits lower. Try the measuring-tape thing I mentioned earlier to see where it should be.

EDIT: I think some scientist did an estimate a couple of years ago that 80% of British women are wearing the wrong bra size, the vast majority with a band too big and cup too small. It's pretty common.

missquinzel
April 30th, 2014, 02:11 AM
I just followed the advice above and loosened my straps and put it on the last hook instead of the first one. The bra still fits me fine but the strap is now about 2 inches lower which is honestly depressing me :( I wear a 36 to a 38D sometimes and I even own a 32DDD bra that fits quite nicely but id a different brand. I've lost over 100lbs so they are a bit oddly shaped and have a LOT of excess skin and used to wear a size F. So I think it's just a force of habit that I tend to prefer my bras to have tighter fit even though I don't really need it. But I honestly didn't realize it wasn't the "proper" way. I just wore them how they were comfortable to my body...

LanaBanana
April 30th, 2014, 03:03 AM
Definitely look into having a proper bra fitting! It will be much more supportive and comfortable if the band is the right size. Since bra strap length is a couple more inches away than you had planned, maybe you could aim for APL for a short term goal, and then start looking at working your way to BSL? I like having shorter goals, it feels like I'm growing faster that way! Looks like you are probably atAPL when stretched, but maybe an inch and a half away when wavy.

share801
April 30th, 2014, 12:24 PM
APL is much higher and BSL is much lower for me personally. Maybe I'm shaped weird

Suze2012
April 30th, 2014, 01:05 PM
I just followed the advice above and loosened my straps and put it on the last hook instead of the first one. The bra still fits me fine but the strap is now about 2 inches lower which is honestly depressing me :( I wear a 36 to a 38D sometimes and I even own a 32DDD bra that fits quite nicely but id a different brand. I've lost over 100lbs so they are a bit oddly shaped and have a LOT of excess skin and used to wear a size F. So I think it's just a force of habit that I tend to prefer my bras to have tighter fit even though I don't really need it. But I honestly didn't realize it wasn't the "proper" way. I just wore them how they were comfortable to my body...

Aw Sweetpea! Most...honestly most if not pretty much all of us have been through the bra size dilemma ...I certainly have!!

If you can do up a 32 and if it doesn't dig into you but when you jump around, bend over reach up(all in the privacy of your own room/bra changing room. then it fits.you in the inches wise department.

Your bra should sit exactly at the back as that diagram shows and should be straight across always.
Measure yourself properly, look online at how to do this and check a few sites.
Your cup measurement follows and should be a clean line with no bulge and no sticking out of cup when wearing it.
From the sound of it you need to invest in some good bras and believe me they are worth it!
I have a very short (compared to most shoulder to underbust ratio and I have to buy bras that have a good good amount of shoulder strap adjustment so I cannot buy some of the pretty lacy strapped bras because I cannot do the shoulder strap on them tight enough to support me...you might be the same as me.
You'll never look back once you get the right size for you. You bra will feel like a second skin....I promise! :)

You say you measure when wet.
Wet hair will elongate your measurement.

Looking at your pic you are not yet to APL.

My hair is curly but to measure mine wet or straight would be waist. I am not waist though as mine sits on my bra strap.

I would think BSL at the right level (where your bra strap should sit) is achievable in a year. No cutting is the way forward and then get a trim once you have reached your goal to get rid of tired ends.
Mine was about APL and I didn't cut mine for 2.5 years(wasn't on LHC and wasn't looking after it much.except for air drying it plus it was very dry, damaged ,, highlighted and I still used sulphate shampoo) and it got to between BSL and waist (dry and curly measured) in that time.

CremeTron
May 3rd, 2014, 03:48 PM
wow! congrats on the weight loss! Good luck growing..

Thank you whoever posted the LHC glossary link, I am sorry I cannot remember your name but that was very helpful to me.