PDA

View Full Version : Is it normal to have little hairs sticking out of your braids? (non-layered hair)

Larki
April 27th, 2014, 10:30 PM
I have a bunch of tiny hairs sticking out every time I braid. It's been like this as long as I can remember, and I figured it was normal, but I've heard that they can be splits? When I look at the ends of the little hairs most of them look normal, though. And I have trich, so I always figured that these hairs were just new growth, shorter than the rest and therefore unable to make it to the end of the braid. Can anyone help me out? Are these splits or trich growth, or something else? Are they normal?

http://i61.tinypic.com/dlpa2g.jpg http://i57.tinypic.com/1au8g.jpg

Islandgrrl
April 27th, 2014, 10:36 PM
It's totally normal. There is never a time when all the hairs on your head are exactly the same length. You shed hairs, then the follicles become active again after a period of time and grow new hairs. There will always be hairs of different lengths.

Aderyn
April 27th, 2014, 11:06 PM
Completely normal. Each individual strand of hair grows at a different rate, starts at different points on your head and the growth/shedding phases can differ as well. Trich may further emphasize the different hair lengths. I don't think what you've taken a photo of is abnormal, though.

If you want to minimize that, a little bit of oil goes a long way for making sleeker braids, in my experience.

Sharysa
April 28th, 2014, 12:02 AM
Perfectly normal. It's not very noticeable unless you're a foot away from someone or they're wearing a shirt that contrasts with their hair. My braids always get fuzzy after a few hours, so I just redo them.

Wosie
April 28th, 2014, 03:40 AM
I don't need to say it again, but I agree with the others above me. :D As normal as normal goes. I remember when I was in highschool and my best friend said my braid (hip length) looked like a centipede due to all the escaped hairs... I don't think I liked to wear it braided after that comment.

kganihanova
April 28th, 2014, 04:51 AM
Yeah, even on layer free hair there's breakage and such

Panth
April 28th, 2014, 02:20 PM
Totally normal. That is not (necessarily) breakage - it's most likely all the hairs that have not yet grown as long as your hemline (as, thank goodness, we do not grow every follicle in and then molt every follicle out in sync ... otherwise we'd be like some birds and have a time when we're completely bald and odd looking).

Tbh, yours looks very mild. Even immediately after braiding, mine looks at least as "bad" as yours. After a few hours with the braid unbunned, my braid always has a 1-2 inch halo of fuzzy hairs all down its length and looks horrifically messy.

I agree with the others - a light oiling will help braids look sleek (though don't overdo it or you'll get the "otter in an oilslick" look).

Anje
April 28th, 2014, 08:19 PM
They can be broken hairs, but it's also likely that they're hairs that started growing after the longest ones started. We've all got them.

That said, I do like checking the hairs that are sticking out of a fuzzy end-of-the-day braid for splits, because it's a fairly easy way to see quite a few shorter ones without having to deal with the bulk of your hair hiding them. Makes for a quick S&D session.

spidermom
April 28th, 2014, 09:11 PM
Agreed. Before I had layers, I always had so many sticky-out hairs that my braid would look like one of those baby bottle washers after a couple of hours of hanging loose. Now I usually bun my braids; it keeps them neater, plus all the hairs that stick out tangle up with each other if my braid is swinging around. It's a nightmare I prefer to avoid.

Larki
April 28th, 2014, 10:04 PM
Thank you, everyone! This is so reassuring!

Heavy Raindrops
April 29th, 2014, 05:39 AM
I have them too, it's' perfectly normal. :) Also I think it's because of the waves so they stick out even more. :p

Fairlight63
April 29th, 2014, 03:26 PM
Yours is not bad at all! Mine gets the fuzzy's from rubbing on my clothes. Got to try the oil trick next time, thanks for the tip!

spidermom
April 29th, 2014, 05:22 PM
Yours is not bad at all! Mine gets the fuzzy's from rubbing on my clothes. Got to try the oil trick next time, thanks for the tip!

YMMV. Oil doesn't help the sticky-out problem for me at all. Neither does gel.