PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on travel hair care - Vegas water hates me.

lovinglocks
April 27th, 2014, 06:06 PM
So, I'm going to Vegas in July (woohoo!) and I'd like to have, well, even just my normal looking hair. I seem to have an issue with washing my hair with the water in Vegas. My hair looks slimy when I wash! I usually wash my hair with natural shampoos and use whatever for conditioner. But, that left my hair looking gross there, and when I'm on vacation I like to get dolled up (do my makeup, my hair, wear somethi something cute)! Does anyone have any advice or ideas on shampoo etc I could use to fight off the greasy slimy look? I'd honestly use any sort of hair care products just for the one or two times I'll wash my hair while I'm there.

Thank you in advance :)

hafattack
April 27th, 2014, 06:45 PM
My vote is stock up on distilled water while you're there and use that :)

chen bao jun
April 27th, 2014, 08:21 PM
It may not be the water. the air in Vegas is incredibly dry. Be sure you have products with you that have NO humectants.

jeanniet
April 27th, 2014, 08:59 PM
Are you staying in a hotel? I think the hotels soften their water, which can make hair funny, especially if you're used to somewhat harder water. I find that soft water makes it harder to rinse shampoo and conditioner out. Also agree with chen that Vegas is very dry all year round so you may need different products while there.

lovinglocks
April 27th, 2014, 11:48 PM
Thanks for the advice. I am staying in the hotels and I mostly assumed it was the water, as the tap/shower water tastes horrible, so there's got to be something different about it and that's messing with my hair.

ravenhair44
April 28th, 2014, 12:08 AM
It may not be the water. the air in Vegas is incredibly dry. Be sure you have products with you that have NO humectants.

Yes, I totally agree with this. I was there last year for my birthday in July and it was super hot. Be prepared for 100 degree weather. I'm used to it being from Texas. Today it was 96. :sun:

chen bao jun
April 29th, 2014, 02:18 PM
The dryness got to me totally. There is no humidity. Add to that the drying effects of the airconditioning in hotels to combat the heat and it was pretty awful. My skin dried out and flaked. My hair dried out completely. Maybe the water added to it, but the dryness was enough to make me miserable for the whole week I was there. I guess its great if you have asthma or breathing problems, but its pretty bad for most hair.
I suggested being sure to use no humectants because they will suck any moisture out of your hair into the dry air, but you might google what to do for your particular hair type in no humidity, it's just a challenging place in that particular way.

swearnsue
April 29th, 2014, 08:13 PM
Maybe carry a small mister bottle with you? You could spritz your hair often.

jeanniet
April 29th, 2014, 10:37 PM
The dryness got to me totally. There is no humidity. Add to that the drying effects of the airconditioning in hotels to combat the heat and it was pretty awful. My skin dried out and flaked. My hair dried out completely. Maybe the water added to it, but the dryness was enough to make me miserable for the whole week I was there. I guess its great if you have asthma or breathing problems, but its pretty bad for most hair.
I suggested being sure to use no humectants because they will suck any moisture out of your hair into the dry air, but you might google what to do for your particular hair type in no humidity, it's just a challenging place in that particular way.

Believe it or not it's actually worse in the winter! We lived there for a little over a year and I still have nightmares that we're moving back, lol. I guess it's fun to visit, but I've had enough of Vegas for a lifetime.

OP, if nothing else, avoid humectants and maybe get a few jugs of distilled water so you can at least do a final rinse with it. I'd do a good DT when you get home, too. I think if the water is the main problem doing a distilled rinse will help.