PDA

View Full Version : There is hope.

xoChesleyy
April 27th, 2014, 02:28 PM
This is a novel, be prepared.. Growing up, I was always the skinny girl with long hair. That changed once I turned 11-12. Before that, I had long, dirty blonde, tbl hair. Everyone always complimented me on it. Asking how I grew it so long.. (I never understood why people ask this). Regardless, I didn't like my hair like others did. I was so bored of it and decided to go to the salon and get a fringe, layers, and dyed very light blonde. Once the hairdresser finished cutting and dying my hair, she flat ironed it. I was amazed at how much a flat iron could change the hair's appearance so much. I enjoyed the way my hair looked after, with my new layers and haircut. The following morning, I grabbed my sister's flat iron and straightened my hair for school. After this, it became habitual. I would straighten my hair for school every single day, or I hated the way it looked. Aside from straightening my hair daily, I also washed my hair every day just using whatever shampoo was in the shower (your generic SLS chemical-filled shampoos/conditioners), and I blow-dried my hair after every shower. Of course, I thought nothing of any of this or the damage it caused. I knew nothing of the damage it was causing. I was too young to even care. This continued for years.. Dying my hair every single month, usually not just roots, but an all-over dye. I was constantly experimenting with new looks and always wanting to change things up. I got hair cuts very often, which were usually just "touch-ups" of my current hair style because my layers and fringe looked horrible once they started growing out. When I became a freshman in high school, I hated my hair. The ends were horribly thin which was a combination of my 'abuse' to my hair as well as the tons of short, choppy layers on top. I hated it so much that I resorted to hair extensions (which I also knew nothing of). I ordered some hair extensions and glue, that I ended up applying to my hair incorrectly, and just left it be. The hair extensions were horrible. They would get matted constantly, the glue itched my scalp and caused rashes, chunks of it would get stuck in my hair where the wefts were, the wefts would fall out and have to be re-glued.. It was just a mess. Me being the 14 year old that I was thought "Well, at least it's better than showing my APL, thinning hair right?" Wrong. It was eventually too much. At the time I also couldn't afford to go to a hairdresser to get the extensions removed properly, so I just ripped them out. Yep.. I just took them one by one, grabbed them, and pulled them out. Which led to a new problem. My hair looked worse than before, and on top of that, chunks of hair were now missing. But I was so fed up with the hair extensions that sadly, it was mostly a relief for me. Well.. My problem was still there so I just resorted to a different kind of extensions. I got clip-ins. I kept those in for awhile, despite the constant "pulling" feel. The hair extensions would shed like crazy. They eventually looked too thin so I removed them. I now had traction alopecia. I was an emotional wreck, even though I brought all of this upon myself. My right edges are what suffered the most from it. The bald spot was quite big, but fortunately I could hide some of it with the layer of hair on top. I showed my boyfriend the bald spot, and he was in shock. After that, I decided what I should have decided the first time- No more hair extensions for me again, ever. I was still dying and bleaching my hair at this time.. About a year and a half ago I dyed my hair dark brown with a "professional" dye I purchased from Sally's. After the second wash, the majority of my hair color was down the drain. My hair was left a muddy brown with patches of darker and lighter color. I then resorted to bleaching my hair. The first bleach, my hair turned orange. The second time, a dark yellow with some orange left. The third time, a neutral yellow. Two more times plus a toner shampoo and it was platinum with some darker patches still. I was okay with it because looked so much worse before. I had purple added into my hair shortly after, to hide some of the patches, which would fade into a gross color. I kept my blonde hair probably for about half a year when I got tired of how dry it constantly felt. My top layers would feel like mush when I got out of the shower, the hair breakage was horrible, and when it dried, it would frizz like mad. I then dyed it red.. The red faded extremely fast and I had to dye it every two to four weeks.. So that got old pretty quickly, plus I was tired of having pink-y faded red hair. I didn't want to risk dying it any other color and the red showing through, so I just ended up dying it black. It immediately looked healthier, although I knew that it wasn't especially considered it had just been dyed.. After everything that had happened, plus finding out about the horrible chemicals in hair dyes, I decided to quit dying it altogether. I was fed up with the hair dying going wrong, the split ends, breakage, emotional stress my hair was causing me, the traction alopecia, everything. I looked for solutions. I bought expensive shampoos and conditioners that were all around $20-$30 each that claimed to "repair damage". I bought "repairing" hair serums. Nothing would work. I really didn't want to just cut off the damage, because all of my hair was damaged. My hair would be short, but the majority of damage would still remain. I looked for other solutions and discovered the S&D method which sounded perfect because I was trying to grow out my hair while removing damage. I loved S&Ding. My hair felt better after a couple weeks of daily S&Ding. I left my hair alone for the most part, S&Ding often and only flat ironing my hair on occasion. Months later, I discovered henna on LHC and I transitioned to the two-step henna then indigo and I couldn't be happier with the results! The conclusion is, no matter how bad your hair mishaps are in the present moment, there is hope. I had given up hope a long time ago, but now my hair is slowly being restored. I honestly think my diet change was a huge contribution to this. On 11/02/2013, I converted to a vegetarian diet.. And this month, I converted to veganism, incorporating lots of raw fruits and veggies in my diet. My hair has shine for the first time in ages. My breakage has slowed down. My hair is actually growing. I have been SLS-free for over a year. I only use organic/natural hair products now. I sleep on a silk pillow case, use no heat or dyes, I oil my ends daily and do an all-over oiling with coconut oil before every wash. I asked my boyfriend about my bald spot where most of the traction alopecia occurred years ago, and he didn't even notice a bald spot anymore. I do notice a big improvement, but the hair is still a bit thin there and I do feel pulling in that area if I am untangling knots or putting my hair up, even loosely. I am currently at 28.75" and nearing waist length. I am working on growing my layers and fringe out. I S&D daily and once my hair is goal-length, I will be micro-trimming until all of the damage is gone, and to thicken my hemline. I apologize for the novel! I didn't intend on babbling so much at first. :p What I am telling you all is, please do not make the same mistakes that I did. If you are considering any drastic hair changes, make sure you thoroughly weigh the pros/cons of whatever it is that you want to do. And if you are trying to grow your hair or get healthier hair don't give up- I didn't! Patience is all that it takes. Nobody's hair is perfect, but your hair doesn't need to be perfect. It's your imperfections that makes you, or your hair beautiful. I don't regret everything that has happened throughout my experience, I took it and used it all as a huge learning experience.
Join me on my hair growth journey! :heart:

*Please excuse these pictures. :eek: Here is my hair when it was blonde, then red.
http://i58.tinypic.com/1j9nqg.jpg

*And here are some photos of my hair now. My hair is heavily layered still, unfortunately, and cut in a v-shape. The left picture is my first "stick bun" as of 04/26/2014.. Quite horrid, but I am learning! ;)
http://i61.tinypic.com/24yy5om.jpg

I have a long ways to go until I reach my TBL goal and have all of my damage cut off, but I am determined and willing to get there!

AmyBeth
April 27th, 2014, 02:44 PM
Wow, what a story! How much your hair went through! Your hair looked good in the before pictures, but now the shine is incredible. It has the unmistakable look of healthy loved hair. Chemical processing just can't touch the look of really cared for hair. I am vegan also, and use hendigo to color my hair, and try to use natural shampoos and conditioners. I can't imagine the relief to know that the alopecia is resolving. It sounds like you do almost all you can to heal your hair. Just add in a few minutes of daily scalp massage and I think you have it covered. Your stick bun is charming, like a purposefully messy bun. I love your story- I can't resist a happy ending!:) The Zappa quote is amusing too. I saw him in concert in the late '70s and he was the first man I ever saw wearing a man bun, and there was absolutely nothing femine about it.

blue_eyes
April 27th, 2014, 02:53 PM
Very inspirational story! It definitely made me recall the reasons I stopped dyeing my hair last year. I've been through a lot of the same things. I actually did exactly what you did when it came to extensions. I had cut my hair into an edgy bob when I was 14, got it highlighted, then dyed it red the next year. Then I got bored and wanted long hair again, so I bought extensions online & they came with glued tips and this heating device to attach them. My mom helped me put them in, but of course this was by no means a professional job. I'd curl them everyday and the glue would melt from the heat of my straightener. They became so matted it was a nightmare. Eventually, from repeated washing, they began to soften up and a few began to slip out. Finally I just sat down one day, while they were soft and wet, and took them out myself. I don't recall how much hair I lost, it was just a relief to have them out! Never again. Anyway at that point (and all the while I had extensions) I was still dyeing my entire head of hair red regularly, since the color would fade so quickly. This lasted about 3 or 4 years until I got sick of the upkeep and began dyeing my hair black. Then I wanted blonde, so I got it bleached professionally, and when it looked awful I dyed it black (with drugstore dye) again to hide the mess. I did this at least 4 or 5 times over the next 5 years; when I think back on it it was literal insanity. After my last attempt in August 2013 my hair snapped, literally. It was waist length and the majority of it broke to only about 8 inches long, the shortest sections being 2 inches long and the longest being around BSL. And of course, my hair was a patchy mess of orange, yellow, and brown. So I dyed it black (again) to hide the mess and haven't dyed it since. I got the longest pieces cut to about APL so they would be slightly less noticeable compared to the short, broken pieces, and haven't cut it since. The ends look very thin, but once the majority of my hair reaches BSL (which should be by December 2014) I will cut off the longest, damaged pieces and have hair that's mostly one length again.

Haha, I didn't mean to give you my hair's life story but I just relate to yours so well. It is utterly horrifying to see what years of damage can do to your hair. I literally had chunks of hair coming out after the last bleaching incident. It was just breakage, not from my scalp, but it was still terrifying. I just want to scream "I'm sorry hair!! Give me another chance and I'll never hurt you again!!" hahaha. We all learn from our mistakes right? :) I certainly did.

xoChesleyy
April 27th, 2014, 03:04 PM
Wow, what a story! How much your hair went through! Your hair looked good in the before pictures, but now the shine is incredible. It has the unmistakable look of healthy loved hair. Chemical processing just can't touch the look of really cared for hair. I am vegan also, and use hendigo to color my hair, and try to use natural shampoos and conditioners. I can't imagine the relief to know that the alopecia is resolving. It sounds like you do almost all you can to heal your hair. Just add in a few minutes of daily scalp massage and I think you have it covered. Your stick bun is charming, like a purposefully messy bun. I love your story- I can't resist a happy ending!:) The Zappa quote is amusing too. I saw him in concert in the late '70s and he was the first man I ever saw wearing a man bun, and there was absolutely nothing femine about it.

You're so kind! Thank you so much dear! I'm glad I didn't bore you to death, hehe. I know- I honestly don't know how my hair has even slightly recovered from all that it has been through, but I am so thankful that I am headed in the right direction now. :D I agree with you 100%, it really can't. And your hair does end up thanking you for it. I am absolutely addicted to henndigo.. The application/waiting process is a bit tedious, but it's all worth it in the end. That is great that you are vegan as well. How long have you been a vegan? I appreciate the advice, I'll definitely incorporate a scalp massage into my daily routine. And it's awesome that you got to see Zappa in concert! (:

xoChesleyy
April 27th, 2014, 03:16 PM
Very inspirational story! It definitely made me recall the reasons I stopped dyeing my hair last year. I've been through a lot of the same things. I actually did exactly what you did when it came to extensions. I had cut my hair into an edgy bob when I was 14, got it highlighted, then dyed it red the next year. Then I got bored and wanted long hair again, so I bought extensions online & they came with glued tips and this heating device to attach them. My mom helped me put them in, but of course this was by no means a professional job. I'd curl them everyday and the glue would melt from the heat of my straightener. They became so matted it was a nightmare. Eventually, from repeated washing, they began to soften up and a few began to slip out. Finally I just sat down one day, while they were soft and wet, and took them out myself. I don't recall how much hair I lost, it was just a relief to have them out! Never again. Anyway at that point (and all the while I had extensions) I was still dyeing my entire head of hair red regularly, since the color would fade so quickly. This lasted about 3 or 4 years until I got sick of the upkeep and began dyeing my hair black. Then I wanted blonde, so I got it bleached professionally, and when it looked awful I dyed it black (with drugstore dye) again to hide the mess. I did this at least 4 or 5 times over the next 5 years; when I think back on it it was literal insanity. After my last attempt in August 2013 my hair snapped, literally. It was waist length and the majority of it broke to only about 8 inches long, the shortest sections being 2 inches long and the longest being around BSL. And of course, my hair was a patchy mess of orange, yellow, and brown. So I dyed it black (again) to hide the mess and haven't dyed it since. I got the longest pieces cut to about APL so they would be slightly less noticeable compared to the short, broken pieces, and haven't cut it since. The ends look very thin, but once the majority of my hair reaches BSL (which should be by December 2014) I will cut off the longest, damaged pieces and have hair that's mostly one length again.

Haha, I didn't mean to give you my hair's life story but I just relate to yours so well. It is utterly horrifying to see what years of damage can do to your hair. I literally had chunks of hair coming out after the last bleaching incident. It was just breakage, not from my scalp, but it was still terrifying. I just want to scream "I'm sorry hair!! Give me another chance and I'll never hurt you again!!" hahaha. We all learn from our mistakes right? :) I certainly did.

OMG. I used those too! I was going to include that in my "story" but I felt it was already much too long. They are called u-tip hair extensions, I believe. I had gotten mine from Sally's and they were ridiculously expensive just to have them ruin my hair even more.. Mine also began slipping out and I ended up removing them myself, too. I feel the same exact way. I can't believe I ever did any of this to my hair or how I "abused" it so much! It seems like once you neglect your hair once, it's easier to do from there on. That is basically what I plan on doing, too. I will be so happy to have all of the damage finally gone for good! And it's perfectly fine.. That's what we are all here for. (: Yes, that is all that you can do- When you realize you make mistakes, learn from them. It's good to see that others can relate to my story and are in this "journey" with me. With time our hair will thicken and be healthy again. ;)

divinedobbie
April 27th, 2014, 03:27 PM
So glad your story has a happy ending. I went through the same things. I started with the straightening and blowdrying when I was 14, went to dyes, bad cuts, and layers , then extensions when I was 16 because I missed my long healthy hair. Tried fixing everything with expensive salon and miracle products but nothing worked, so I went natural and have been slowly cutting away old dye and layers. Ive been heat free for approx two years, dye free for 14 months, and havent been anywhere near a hairdresser for almost a year in fear of more razors and layers.

Im actually really curious about becoming vegetarian. I don't think I could take the full leap and go vegan but Ive been heavily considering going vegeterian for the past two years. My family and friends are terribly unsupportive though saying I won't get enough nutrients etc.

MINAKO
April 27th, 2014, 03:44 PM
Intense journey!!! :shocked: Especially the part with ripping out extensions was sort of horrifying. But as they say, NOW is the time and your hair recovered beautifully. There's only so much error a girl can do until there is a solution. And believe me, i have failed pretty badly in the past many many times as well. Nothing of the kind related to dye or exensions, but finding a way to get my hair straight without causing any damage was quiet a struggle too.
Im also very pleased with the results of using henna and indigo to boost the black.
Your hair is so mega shiny already, all you need to do now is keep up your routine and be patient until it reaches TBL. Will be quicker then you think if you can resist daily measuring :p . Mine went fron CBL to BCL in about 2,5 or maybe 3 years and i did trim a good bit every now and then.
Enjoy your healthy hair, it suit you very well! :o

xoChesleyy
April 27th, 2014, 04:01 PM
So glad your story has a happy ending. I went through the same things. I started with the straightening and blowdrying when I was 14, went to dyes, bad cuts, and layers , then extensions when I was 16 because I missed my long healthy hair. Tried fixing everything with expensive salon and miracle products but nothing worked, so I went natural and have been slowly cutting away old dye and layers. Ive been heat free for approx two years, dye free for 14 months, and havent been anywhere near a hairdresser for almost a year in fear of more razors and layers.

Im actually really curious about becoming vegetarian. I don't think I could take the full leap and go vegan but Ive been heavily considering going vegeterian for the past two years. My family and friends are terribly unsupportive though saying I won't get enough nutrients etc.

Yeah.. The truth is, there is no "miracle" product. It is all just fancy marketing for the hair industry to make billions. That is great that you made the switch to natural! Your hair looks lovely. To be completely honest with you, becoming vegan is one of the best decisions I have made in my entire life. I'm not just talking about hair, but my overall well-being. The funny thing is, it seems like the majority of non-vegetarian/non-vegans are horribly mislead into thinking that you don't get enough nutrients or protein. Too much protein in excess is actually a bad thing. I get much more nutrients now than I ever did before my 'lifestyle change'. When I went vegetarian, I just stopped cold turkey, which isn't usually recommended.. But I hardly ate any meat other than chicken anyways. The great thing about being vegetarian/vegan, is that there are literally substitutes for everything that a non-vegetarian/vegan would eat. If you are seriously wanting to go vegetarian, I would recommend a slow transition.

Here are some useful guides and information about becoming vegetarian: http://www.spiritvoyage.com/blog/ind...getarian-diet/
http://www.happycow.net/becoming_vegetarian.html
You may find this interesting: http://www.celestialhealing.net/physicalveg3.htm

Also, some incredible documentaries are Food, Inc. and Forks Over Knives. Food, Inc. is what initially made me decide to stop eating meat/dairy. In the end, it is whichever diet works best for you but regardless, I wish you luck!

Intense journey!!! :shocked: Especially the part with ripping out extensions was sort of horrifying. But as they say, NOW is the time and your hair recovered beautifully. There's only so much error a girl can do until there is a solution. And believe me, i have failed pretty badly in the past many many times as well. Nothing of the kind related to dye or exensions, but finding a way to get my hair straight without causing any damage was quiet a struggle too.
Im also very pleased with the results of using henna and indigo to boost the black.
Your hair is so mega shiny already, all you need to do now is keep up your routine and be patient until it reaches TBL. Will be quicker then you think if you can resist daily measuring :p . Mine went fron CBL to BCL in about 2,5 or maybe 3 years and i did trim a good bit every now and then.
Enjoy your healthy hair, it suit you very well! :o

Yeah, it was not fun whatsoever. Thanks heaps, and welcome to LHC! You guys are all so kind/supportive. :o Haha, the daily measuring is very tempting.. But I'm trying to hold off for 3 more weeks until my monthly measuring. I am sticking very closely to my current regimen because I can definitely see results! It only took you around 2.5 years? Your hair grows very fast, lucky you! (:

SunlightShines
April 27th, 2014, 04:58 PM
Wow, that is definitely learning things the hard way, but it sounds like you've got a great foundation for your future all over health! Becoming healthy from the inside out is the best formula for great hair! Thank you so much for sharing your story in such a positive way! :grouphug:

meteor
April 27th, 2014, 05:06 PM
Oh wow, what a story! The part about pulling extensions out was so scary! shudder: I'm so happy the traction alopecia is over. :) Isn't it awesome that hair almost always grows back as healthy as before the experiments/abuse began? :)

xoChesleyy
April 27th, 2014, 05:55 PM
I agree SunlightShines! Internal health really is one of the best things you can do for your hair, and overall wellness.

I am glad too, meteor. The only thing that still bothers me though, is the area where I had the alopecia has remained tender since, even when I'm putting my hair up loosely.. But I would still much rather have to feel the tenderness than have a permanent patch of missing hair. :?

spidermom
April 27th, 2014, 06:51 PM
I don't have the attention span to make it through the whole narrative, but of course there's hope. Old damaged hair sheds out (or is cut off), new undamaged hair grows in. Enjoy!

LauraLongLocks
April 27th, 2014, 08:24 PM
Wow, I'm actually surprised you still had any hair at all after all that. Mine is too fragile to hold up to that kind of abuse. Glad you are on the right track now. Henna is amazing. S&D really helps make your hair livable until you are ready to microtrim and maintain. Good luck on your continuing journey!

CurlMonster
April 27th, 2014, 11:39 PM
Thanks for sharing your story! I can certainly relate, although thankfully I never went near extensions (although I was tempted as my ends started to thin with damage like yours!). It's a long journey growing out damaged hair, but so worth it when every once in a while you notice just how much healthier your hair is, or thicker your ends are, or how much easier to detangle it is... :)
Also, vegan fistbump! I can honestly say that changing my diet was the best thing I ever did for my well-being. :)

xoChesleyy
April 28th, 2014, 12:20 AM
Thanks LauraLongLocks, I agree!

Thanks for sharing your story! I can certainly relate, although thankfully I never went near extensions (although I was tempted as my ends started to thin with damage like yours!). It's a long journey growing out damaged hair, but so worth it when every once in a while you notice just how much healthier your hair is, or thicker your ends are, or how much easier to detangle it is... :)
Also, vegan fistbump! I can honestly say that changing my diet was the best thing I ever did for my well-being. :)

Definitely worth it in the end! (:

Same here! I honestly wish I had never even touched meat or any dairy product in my entire life.. But of course, when you're a child or you have grown up around people who are avid meat-eaters to you it's just another 'norm'. I am so thankful that I came to the realization and became conscious of what I was actually consuming.

P.S. Is that a prairie dog in your avatar? So cute! :o

Dreams_in_Pink
April 28th, 2014, 02:04 AM
wow, thank you so much for sharing this! Although not as drastic as yours, i recalled my own journey.

What i really want to talk about is the initial hair depression stage. I've been through that as well; I had hip length, thick, hennaed hair. Everyone LOVED it, even the hairdressers (they refused to cut it when i asked for a haircut!) But for some unknown reason i hated my hair. Why? I really don't know. Because it didn't fit into fashion? Or it wasn't silky and straight like all hair should be? (sarcasm intended). I have half the hair i had back then; it's not damage or alopecia, it's a natural shed that started early in my 20s. But i would DIE to have that thick hair again.

xoChesleyy
April 28th, 2014, 10:28 AM
wow, thank you so much for sharing this! Although not as drastic as yours, i recalled my own journey.

What i really want to talk about is the initial hair depression stage. I've been through that as well; I had hip length, thick, hennaed hair. Everyone LOVED it, even the hairdressers (they refused to cut it when i asked for a haircut!) But for some unknown reason i hated my hair. Why? I really don't know. Because it didn't fit into fashion? Or it wasn't silky and straight like all hair should be? (sarcasm intended). I have half the hair i had back then; it's not damage or alopecia, it's a natural shed that started early in my 20s. But i would DIE to have that thick hair again.

I'm sorry about your hair troubles. Your hair still looks very lovely and thick! (:

Crumpet
April 28th, 2014, 10:44 AM
Congratulations on recovering your hair. You're lucky it recovered so well. My hair is so delicate, I don't think it would have held up half as well!

I'm also a vegetarian (since childhood) and I think my health is so good because of it. I'm glad to hear that vegetarian and vegan have helped you!

Your hair looks lovely now and I'm sure it will only improve!

ErinLeigh
April 28th, 2014, 11:20 AM
I read the whole thing and was happy to see how the story ended. Your hair looks wonderful. I think so many can relate to the abuses on hair before realizing what it is truly doing.
You spend so much time thinking it is your "normal" and that you have problem hair, then once you see and feel otherwise you wonder how you ever could have done it in the first place as you realize the problem was you.. I thought for most of my life I just had "difficult" hair. Who knew that changing a few things could turn things are so dramatically.

I like your story and am glad you posted it :)

xoChesleyy
April 28th, 2014, 12:25 PM
Congratulations on recovering your hair. You're lucky it recovered so well. My hair is so delicate, I don't think it would have held up half as well!

I'm also a vegetarian (since childhood) and I think my health is so good because of it. I'm glad to hear that vegetarian and vegan have helped you!

Your hair looks lovely now and I'm sure it will only improve!

Thank you so much! (: Whoa- I'm so surprised at how many other vegetarians/vegans there are here at LHC!

I read the whole thing and was happy to see how the story ended. Your hair looks wonderful. I think so many can relate to the abuses on hair before realizing what it is truly doing.
You spend so much time thinking it is your "normal" and that you have problem hair, then once you see and feel otherwise you wonder how you ever could have done it in the first place as you realize the problem was you.. I thought for most of my life I just had "difficult" hair. Who knew that changing a few things could turn things are so dramatically.

I like your story and am glad you posted it :)

Thanks dear, I'm glad you liked it. I felt like I did a lot of babbling.. But I just wanted everyone to understand that despite all that someone's hair has been through, there is usually hope as long as you just have patience. Your hair looks wonderful, by the way. :)

pixldust
April 28th, 2014, 02:01 PM
Wow, your hair story sounds so much like mine! It's incredible what we put our hair through because we convince ourselves that it's the only way it'll look good. I'm glad that you came to a point where you realised that it'd be better for your hair if you stopped all those damaging practices and you can really see the difference it has made to your hair, it looks lovely and shiny now. I don't know about you, but I found it kind of liberating to not have to worry about things like dyeing and daily heat styling.

xoChesleyy
April 28th, 2014, 02:41 PM
Wow, your hair story sounds so much like mine! It's incredible what we put our hair through because we convince ourselves that it's the only way it'll look good. I'm glad that you came to a point where you realised that it'd be better for your hair if you stopped all those damaging practices and you can really see the difference it has made to your hair, it looks lovely and shiny now. I don't know about you, but I found it kind of liberating to not have to worry about things like dyeing and daily heat styling.

Yes! You save lots of money, too.. Not feeling obligated to purchase all of these styling products, curling irons, blow dryers, etc. What's ironic is we think all of these will make our hair look better, when in reality it is best if we just leave it be. (:

CurlMonster
April 29th, 2014, 08:16 AM
P.S. Is that a prairie dog in your avatar? So cute! :o

He's a bunny actually, he belongs to my friend. He was pretty young then, so that's why he's so tiny! A prairie dog would be awesome though, I didn't know they could be domesticated!

cat11
April 29th, 2014, 11:46 AM

Hehe my SO has APL hair (it was male BSL before he cut it.. but he needed to lots of damage on the ends it was constantly tangled) and he wears man buns a lot. I like them. I like anything that makes him not cut his hair. Haha. I think he likes me playing with it and combing it and stuff too much to cut it now.

OP you can seriously tell you've put effort into making your hair healthy again, it looks so good and shiny in the after pics! Extensions seem like a hair nightmare.

memeow
April 29th, 2014, 12:15 PM
Thank you so much for this story. I haven't done anything quite so drastic with my hair, but it is damaged to the point that the ends break off in my fingers. It's reassuring to know that in time, all the new healthy habits I'm learning here will actually make a noticeable difference. It's just so hard to be patient!

HazelBug
April 29th, 2014, 01:05 PM
I'm not vegetarian. But I don't see why it wouldn't work. I think vegan is a little harder to do though. Vegetarians tend to eat some eggs and dairy and that easilly makes up for any meat not eaten.

Personally I wouldn't go that route. But I have a very hard time absorbing iron from plant based sources. I've had anemia problems off and on my whole life. I'm egg intolerant so I just can't eat them. And unless it is the good organic stuff, cows milk gives me cystic acne. But if I eat beef or another red meat 2 times a week then I feel healthy.

I think vegetarian or vegan can work well for some people though. So if you really want to go that route then I say go for it. Of course if you are still young and living with parents it may not work so well, since they probably pay for the groceries.

I personally really like the idea of going full on paleo. But I need to do more research first.

HazelBug
April 29th, 2014, 01:07 PM
Sorry, I meant to reply with quote!

xoChesleyy
April 29th, 2014, 02:37 PM
He's a bunny actually, he belongs to my friend. He was pretty young then, so that's why he's so tiny! A prairie dog would be awesome though, I didn't know they could be domesticated!

Awh, haha. I always see prairie dogs in pet stores, they're so cute and have so much energy! Caring for one would definitely be a handful. I have a bunny myself, along with a GSD who is a big baby, and around 12 outdoor cats.. More soon because three of them are currently pregnant. :thud:

Hehe my SO has APL hair (it was male BSL before he cut it.. but he needed to lots of damage on the ends it was constantly tangled) and he wears man buns a lot. I like them. I like anything that makes him not cut his hair. Haha. I think he likes me playing with it and combing it and stuff too much to cut it now.

OP you can seriously tell you've put effort into making your hair healthy again, it looks so good and shiny in the after pics! Extensions seem like a hair nightmare.

Thank you! They are, and are not worth the trouble at all.. It is best to just be patient until your real hair grows!

Thank you so much for this story. I haven't done anything quite so drastic with my hair, but it is damaged to the point that the ends break off in my fingers. It's reassuring to know that in time, all the new healthy habits I'm learning here will actually make a noticeable difference. It's just so hard to be patient!

I recommend S&Ding and just closely sticking to your hair regimen.. With time, it will make a difference. Good luck on your path to healthy hair! :D

robijntje
May 6th, 2014, 12:28 AM
this sounds a lot like my story! i would dye and bleach it almost 2 times a month. from black to white, to brown, to blonde. i would flat iron it every day if not two times a day, because i didnt thought my curls looked good on me.. 3 years later my hair was so damaged, ( i was 17 at the time ) and i thought it was just my hair being horrible... how could ive been more wrong haha!! i started wearing clip in extensions (so expensive) and it made my hair look even worse... i would have this straw looking hair on top and silky smooth hair at the end.. people must have thought i was crazy.... :( at one point i runned my fingers trough my hair and just had a hand full of hairs that would fall out. so i threw the extensions away and i realized i wanted long healthy hair again. i started wearing youtube videos and articles and found lhc. after three months of reading i finally joined lhc. now my hair has gone from almost apl to bsl today. and it keeps looking healthier every day!! i quit all the dye and irons and i love how my hair is changing. i still have a long way to go, im growing all my damage out and it might take a few years :) thanks for your story and i could totally relate to it!!