PDA

View Full Version : Will longer hair make a short person look taller or opposite?

MissPetite2010
April 27th, 2014, 02:16 PM
Not sure if this is a question that has been asked before. Either way still growing my hair to wl, or tb length. I'm only 4'7, and I have 5 inches left to grow to my waist. Was wondering any thoughts or experiences you may have had with the hair growth process, tall vs short, with hair length being the factor. Thanks in advance...

Larki
April 27th, 2014, 02:19 PM
I haven't personally had any of these comments (I'm between 4'11"-5'0"), but I know some people on here have had people tell them that they're too short for long hair, that having long hair will make them look even shorter.

MissPetite2010
April 27th, 2014, 02:23 PM
I haven't personally had any of these comments (I'm between 4'11"-5'0"), but I know some people on here have had people tell them that they're too short for long hair, that having long hair will make them look even shorter.

okay thank you. I've heard the same thing, but then I've been told it can make a person look taller as well? Who knows! lol Either way, hair is hair, and if a person wants tall, short, Mohawk or whatever the choice may be, more power to 'em :) Thanks again. Any info, greatly appreciated :)

momschicklets
April 27th, 2014, 02:25 PM
Well I'm fully 6 feet tall ;) with a long torso and after having both very long and then short(ish) hair I didn't really notice a difference in how tall I felt or appeared to others. However, my neck looks a lot longer with my short hair :( which I didn't anticipate. And even though it's probably not true, I sort of feel like I have further to go to get to APL then my shorter counterparts :) because of my long body.

xoChesleyy
April 27th, 2014, 02:34 PM
It seems to me that short hair would give the illusion of being taller if you're short, versus being short with long hair.

I honestly doubt it makes a significant difference though, if any.

White
April 27th, 2014, 02:49 PM
I had really, really short hair when I was 14. looked hideous on me. Not that I have anything against short hair in general, smome girls do look great with it, but on me... very bad idea.

I have 160 cm and many people told me that I shouldn't have long hair since it's gonna make me look even shorter. One girl even told me that short girls look fat with long hair (o.O). Well, based on my experience, not true. I wear what suits me, and the longer my hair gets the better I look, and even if it makes me look shorter (which it definitely doesn't), I don't care since I like how I look, and I don't have any problems with my height (meaning, lack of :D)

So, you shouldn't worry about that, enjoy your hair and new growth. It is, after all, a very nice journey. :)

divinedobbie
April 28th, 2014, 12:02 AM
I think longer hair would make a person look shorter, but I doubt it would be very noticeable.

As for thoughts, I have to say I'm envious of shorter people because their milestones are usually closer together so it seems like their hair grows faster.

Syren_Curls
April 28th, 2014, 12:20 AM
Well... I'm 5'1" and I haven't had any comments on looking taller with my hair longer. I've been at this height since I was like 10 or 12 and have had every length from pixie to TBL at this height. No illusion of greater height with longer hair.

The one way I can think of that longer hair *may* appear to add height is with a big or knot bun on the very top of a person's head... :-P

Singing Bird
April 28th, 2014, 12:36 AM
I'm 5'2" and I think there is no difference - I neither look shorter nor taller with my over classic long hair.

Henna Girl
April 28th, 2014, 12:51 AM
I am 5'1'' and I have heard this comment before especially after cutting my hair that I look taller. Maybe it is true, I don't know and really I don't think it is that big of a difference. On the other hand, wearing hair in an updo will most certainly give the illusion of being taller and you cannot do that with short hair.

YvetteVarie
April 28th, 2014, 01:41 AM
I don't think it really makes a difference. What makes a difference (in my mind) is the confidence with which you carry yourself. That can give an illusion of height I guess

Lyv
April 28th, 2014, 03:02 AM
I'm 4'11" and I do think I look smaller over all with longer hair than I do with a pixie. I don't know if it's because of the actual length or if it's because of how thick my hair is paired with being short and thin that makes me seem smaller (to myself)

Kherome
April 28th, 2014, 04:59 AM
Well I'm fully 6 feet tall ;) with a long torso and after having both very long and then short(ish) hair I didn't really notice a difference in how tall I felt or appeared to others. However, my neck looks a lot longer with my short hair :( which I didn't anticipate. And even though it's probably not true, I sort of feel like I have further to go to get to APL then my shorter counterparts :) because of my long body.

I am 6'1" tall and built the opposite, with a short upper body and a loooong lower body. It didn't take me long to reach waist at all but now that I am at Classic my hair has to start creeping down a 37" inseam. I agree that my neck looked longer with short hair, but I don't think my hair makes me look taller or shorter at this point...it's always in a bun anyway. I DO think that really short people look shorter with long hair, but who cares really? Just wear it as you want it!

Dreams_in_Pink
April 28th, 2014, 05:46 AM
I think long hair elongates the body. Anything long emphasizes the feeling of "length" IMO. But that might just be me :)

veryhairyfairy
April 28th, 2014, 07:34 AM
Well... I'm 5'1" and I haven't had any comments on looking taller with my hair longer. I've been at this height since I was like 10 or 12 and have had every length from pixie to TBL at this height. No illusion of greater height with longer hair.

The one way I can think of that longer hair *may* appear to add height is with a big or knot bun on the very top of a person's head... :-P
Hah, I could have written this post (except I'm 5'2")! :D

I actually feel more proportionate and like I have more visual 'length' when I wear a long dress or long loose hair. :shrug:

Really, though, as Kherome said; Who cares???

tanchoulita
April 28th, 2014, 09:41 AM
I am just 4'11. I had short hair and long hair growing up. Shorter hair on me did make me taller. It also makes me look younger. Now I tend to have longer hair and it did feel like I'm squished down on the ground a lot more and make me feel fatter. Again this is just a psychological and illusion part of the human brain. I just wear my hair up in a bun if I wanna feel taller and slimmer. Lol.

Anabell
April 28th, 2014, 02:39 PM
No hair experience here, but have some insight about it from nails, clothes, etc.
It depends. Horizontal lines along the body make it looks shorter while vertical lines make it looks longer. So from one hand your hair supposed to make you look taller because it's like one long vertical stripe, especially if it's a narrow one (can look like that in half ups, single long braid, etc). From another hand the hemline, especially if it a blunt thick one can look like a horizontal line that makes you shorter. But who cares? Do what's make you happy :)

meteor
April 28th, 2014, 02:48 PM
I think long hair underlines extremes, so taller people look even taller while shorter people look even shorter. It looks great either way IMHO. :)

ErinLeigh
April 28th, 2014, 04:08 PM
I agree with meteor with one exception in my mind. Waist length seems to remain neutral to my eye. It follows the natural curve of the body and draws the eye to a place that is neither too tall or short visually. Something about that length I find flatters everyone's size/shape without being overwhelming or underwhelming I just love WL hair I suppose. Just a personal opinion. Any visual effect on height is minimal in the end. If you are short, you are going to look short regardless, same with tall. Only difference is you will look short or tall with a head of gorgeous hair. I think your goal lengths will be very flattering on you :)

I admit in the past I believed long hair would overwhelm me. Now I regret that thinking because I missed out on having something I think I would have enjoyed immensely.
This is an interesting read for me. I am glad you posted it as I forgot how much I actually used to wonder about this topic.

MissPetite2010
April 29th, 2014, 10:27 PM
I agree with meteor with one exception in my mind. Waist length seems to remain neutral to my eye. It follows the natural curve of the body and draws the eye to a place that is neither too tall or short visually. Something about that length I find flatters everyone's size/shape without being overwhelming or underwhelming I just love WL hair I suppose. Just a personal opinion. Any visual effect on height is minimal in the end. If you are short, you are going to look short regardless, same with tall. Only difference is you will look short or tall with a head of gorgeous hair. I think your goal lengths will be very flattering on you :)

I admit in the past I believed long hair would overwhelm me. Now I regret that thinking because I missed out on having something I think I would have enjoyed immensely.
This is an interesting read for me. I am glad you posted it as I forgot how much I actually used to wonder about this topic.

Thanks, it was just something that I always wondered about. Having both hair fairly long and short styles as well over the years, I've had compliments with longer hair, vice versa. Wasn't sure if it depends on torso too? Anyway, long or short, whatever length a person is happy with, then go for it. :) you guys have helped a bunch. Thanks again. :)

Agnes Hannah
May 1st, 2014, 03:55 PM
I am 4'10" and my hair is midback. I have heard that long hair is supposed to make us petite people look shorter, but it is my belief that our hair is naturally complementary to our body shapes size etc, therefore, nature has stepped in and given us hair that suits us best. When I get to waist and beyond, it will be with hair that suits my body shape etc, so I can grow it without worrying about it making me look different. I was made to look this way by nature.