PDA

View Full Version : splits everywhere !!! need advice

hikarilu
April 27th, 2014, 12:35 PM
Hi,

I have very fine BSL hair and fairytale ends (kinda benign neglect, only s&d).
I never noticed more than 2-5 splits during my occasional S&D session (which are very random, i can do one per week as i can do one every two months) but today I have THOUSANDS of them!!!! :(
I also notice I have tons of shorter hairs (1 to 5 inches shorter) everywhere, especially around my face. Lots of them have split ends.

I don't know why this happened. I recently to keep my hair up most of the time (simple bun held by a stick) and stopped using cones.
I stopped using sulfates, heat and use only my tangle teezer when i joined here...
My hair doesn't seem to like or dislike using sulfates and cones... Except not using cones makes my hair less manageable... I'm still testing though.
Could it be that my stopping cones made my hair split like crazy ? Or maybe cones used to "hide" the splits and now i can see them ?

I like my fairytale ends but seeing the damage makes me want to trim 1-2 inches asap...But i'm sure that if i do trim i'll be sooo sad for at least a couple of months because i'm very impatient when it comes to growing my hair long :doh:

Help and advice, pretty please !!! :o

And as always, sorry if my english isn't perfect :rolleyes:

meteor
April 27th, 2014, 12:46 PM
Could it be that my stopping cones made my hair split like crazy ? Or maybe cones used to "hide" the splits and now i can see them ?

Yes to both questions. I can't stress enough that when people go completely cone-free from routines that heavily rely on cones, they should replace cones with something else for slip. Oils do a passable job, but may not be enough.
It could be seasonal - many people see lots of slip ends after winter dryness is finally behind us.

hikarilu
April 27th, 2014, 12:50 PM
Yes to both questions. I can't stress enough that when people go completely cone-free from routines that heavily rely on cones, they should replace cones with something else for slip. Oils do a passable job, but may not be enough.
It could be seasonal - many people see lots of slip ends after winter dryness is finally behind us.

My hair doesn't do well at all with oils, so i only oil the night before wash day.
I think i'm gonna use my super-cony leave-in again... It made my hair smell so good and not stringy like oils, no matter how little i use !

The problem with dryness is that i have difficulty saying when my hair is dry and when it's not... I know it's weird but it always behave the same and as soon as i try to oil it it's super stringy and gross...