PDA

View Full Version : Updos and driving...

silverthread
April 27th, 2014, 08:13 AM
Whenever I wear an updo at the back of my head, it bumps into the headrest of the car seat when I'm driving, and it makes me crazy. Is there anyone else on LHC with this problem? Any suggestions (other than just not wearing updos when I'm driving?):confused:

spidermom
April 27th, 2014, 08:14 AM
Try one of those neck pillows like people use on long flights.

silverthread
April 27th, 2014, 08:28 AM
Thanks, Spidermom. Great idea. I'm going to try it and let you know.

Macaroni
April 27th, 2014, 10:06 AM
My Camry has driver seat adjustment buttons, one of which allows me to tilt it back so it doesn't bump into my bun.

MINAKO
April 27th, 2014, 10:12 AM
I cant even drive, but pretty much have the same problem even when i'm in the backseat, unless i sit in the middle. I agee the pillow thing would be a good way to avoid ruining your bun.

Anje
April 27th, 2014, 10:41 AM
Some cars are worse than others -- my Civic is HORRIBLE in terms of my headrest sticking out against my updo. It's worth at least a passing thought if you ever have the luxury of picking out what car you want, since I've had remarkably little luck searching for aftermarket headrests that are more bun-compatible.

For short trips, I just make sure my seat back is a little farther back so I don't have to lean against it. On long trips, I prefer to braid my hair and pull it over a shoulder, so I can lean against the seat a little without my chin being pushed to my chest by the headrest.

OperaPhantom
April 27th, 2014, 11:31 AM
I'm not driving yet, will be soon, but even in the passenger seat I have this problem. I'm going to try doing headband braids more often. Not only do I really like the styles, but they sit towards the top of my head, which means I won't bump into things when I sit or fiddle with my hair as much.

Jumper
April 27th, 2014, 11:53 AM
I don't put my head back when I'm driving so unless I slam on the brakes my head doesn't bump into the headrest.

I sort of just live with it bumping into my bun if I'm a passenger.

tetisheri72
April 27th, 2014, 01:45 PM
Before you use a neck pillow like that while you are driving, I recommend that you check to see how it could affect your safety. The headrests are there for a reason, not just to annoy us when we have our hair up. It could cause you issues if you get in an accident.

chen bao jun
April 27th, 2014, 08:34 PM
I tried using a neck pillow like that when I had neck issues last fall. I had to stop, I found I couldn't turn my head around rapidly enough to be safe when checking behind me.

Islandgrrl
April 27th, 2014, 08:39 PM
Try a bun low on the nape of your neck for driving, then fix your updo however you want it later.

swords & roses
April 27th, 2014, 09:45 PM
There were some good tips on the thread I started over here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=122140). :)

Katrine
April 27th, 2014, 10:19 PM
I covered my head rest with silky fabric so if my bun comes into contact with it, there's some slip to help prevent it from getting messy.