PDA

View Full Version : Protective styles for layered hair? And which is your favorite?

xoChesleyy
April 26th, 2014, 05:10 PM
Hi LHC! :D So.. I have several layers in my hair as well as a fringe, both which I am trying to grow out. I have read on LHC about how leaving your hair down often (which I have always done) leads to breakage and split ends. I just went to Sally's Beauty Supply and bought some hair sticks as well as a satin pillow case. (I've been needing one of these for ages!) I have honestly never really been one to know how to do different types of updos. I have always just left my hair down. Also, having so many layers makes many hairstyles difficult for me to do. I was wondering if anyone knows of some *beginner* protective updos that would be simple for someone with layered hair to do? Also, what is your favorite protective style? :)

meteor
April 26th, 2014, 05:13 PM
I've grown out my layers a while ago, so I don't have much experience with this, but I think mini-accent braids, twists and other accents help keep small layers away from the face. Also, French/Dutch braids and crown braids keep layers in one place.

xoChesleyy
April 26th, 2014, 05:23 PM
I've grown out my layers a while ago, so I don't have much experience with this, but I think mini-accent braids, twists and other accents help keep small layers away from the face. Also, French/Dutch braids and crown braids keep layers in one place.

Thanks for your input! I'm googling all of these now.. As I said, I literally have no idea about the vast majority of hairstyles. :doh:

meteor
April 26th, 2014, 05:45 PM
If you are a total beginner at buns, try cinnabun (twist your hair into a bun), a braided bun (a braid wrapped around itself), a French twist. I don't know if your hair is long enough for a lazy wrap bun or a nautilus yet, but you can try from midback or longer. All styles will work on layered or not layered hair, so choose whatever you like visually.

By twists and accents helping hold short layers I mean this:
http://hairstylesweekly.com/images/2012/10/cute-little-accent-braid.jpg
http://hairstylesweekly.com/images/2012/07/Crown-Braid.jpg

Crown braid: http://salonsantinas.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/headband-braid.jpg

For Dutch/French braids and crown braids, it's good to check out some Youtube videos to learn the styles.

xoChesleyy
April 26th, 2014, 06:46 PM
I am currently at mid-back length! A lot of my layers are about the length of the bottom of my ear or chin length.. I had a horrible choppy hair cut that I am trying to grow out. I'm watching some YouTube videos now about how to do a french twist using a hair stick.. I tried it and it was quite simple, except my bangs aren't yet long enough to fit in the twist. Ah well, maybe I could braid them and secure it with a bobby pin doing one of those accent braids you were talking about. I'll be doing a bit of experimenting for awhile, haha.

meteor
April 26th, 2014, 07:00 PM
Yes, little bobby pinned braids or twists should help keep those layers within the French twist.
Alternatively, you could create a braided headband (braid a small section of hair behind your year and pin it behind the other ear). A headband will contain the short layers underneath, creating something like this (with a thin braid instead of headband): http://stylenoted.com/hair-how-to-accented-french-twist/

xoChesleyy
April 26th, 2014, 09:15 PM
Okay, awesome! Definitely going to give these a shot. Thanks. :o

torrilin
April 27th, 2014, 07:29 AM
The #1 thing I'd suggest learning is a lace braid. They're doable even on very short hair, and they really help give you options.

French twists and peacock twists work well for a lot of people. They're a really classic look, and they're easy to jazz up with lace braids and pretty hair toys.

A lot of hairstyles are based around twin braids. A LOT. Taking your mad lace braiding skills and doing twin braids opens up a world of possibilities.

jacqueline101
April 27th, 2014, 07:33 AM
How about a bun covered with a snood? That's the first up do I did. My hair was a v hem line at the time. The snood will keep your layers confined.

xoChesleyy
April 27th, 2014, 07:49 AM
I'm looking at lace braids now. I could definitely do something like this, with a cinnamon bun. http://www.historyhats.com/image/cache/data/products/Snood-Bun-V-750x750.JPG And I basically already have the hang of hair sticks! :D I don't have a snood- I probably should buy one.

fairylover46
April 27th, 2014, 08:14 AM
Seeshami and Torrin Paige have videos that are very informative where they are doing the style while talking you thru it. I have learned alot from them. You can also type in braided updo, Medieval hairstyles, and so forth and find literally hundreds of tutorials. Have fun!

xoChesleyy
April 27th, 2014, 08:23 AM
Seeshami and Torrin Paige have videos that are very informative where they are doing the style while talking you thru it. I have learned alot from them. You can also type in braided updo, Medieval hairstyles, and so forth and find literally hundreds of tutorials. Have fun!

Awesome! Thanks. I couldn't find Seeshami's channel, but I did find Torrin and I love her nautilus bun tutorial.. It looks difficult, but it's so pretty!

jacqueline101
April 27th, 2014, 08:33 AM
I'm looking at lace braids now. I could definitely do something like this, with a cinnamon bun. http://www.historyhats.com/image/cache/data/products/Snood-Bun-V-750x750.JPG And I basically already have the hang of hair sticks! :D I don't have a snood- I probably should buy one.

Snoods are easy to make if you have a grandma that knits she might make you one.

soothsayer
May 9th, 2014, 05:19 PM
If yo haven't seen this, I would recommend checking it out. (Braid-tionary by Ladollyvita333 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2ifoTyHoA4)) She goes over so many different braid styles, many of which I've never even heard of! A lot of the lace braids and braids made tinier can definitely scoop up those layers.

xoChesleyy
May 9th, 2014, 05:36 PM
If yo haven't seen this, I would recommend checking it out. (Braid-tionary by Ladollyvita333 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2ifoTyHoA4)) She goes over so many different braid styles, many of which I've never even heard of! A lot of the lace braids and braids made tinier can definitely scoop up those layers.

Thanks! I'll be sure to check it out. :o

Nadine <3
May 9th, 2014, 08:50 PM
I'm growing out layers and my go to's have been french/dutch braids. Single ones are good, but those can get messy as my layers fall out. Twin french/dutch braids keep them in check longer :) For growing out bangs, depending how long or short they are, braiding them back or headbands work well.

vsvisionz
May 9th, 2014, 08:57 PM
When my hair was at the awkward stage with layers I did a gibson tuck a lot. So long as you can get most of your hair in a low pony you can do a gibson tuck. I got a bunch of really cool hair clips on amazon for cheap with free shipping to dress it up a bit. Granted they took awhile to get to me because they came from China, but they were so worth it.

I also would twist or braid my fringe and start a half up sort of hairdo and then put the rest in a bun so the fringe would be out of my face during the day.

MungoMania
May 10th, 2014, 12:47 AM
When my hair was at the awkward stage with layers I did a gibson tuck a lot. So long as you can get most of your hair in a low pony you can do a gibson tuck. I got a bunch of really cool hair clips on amazon for cheap with free shipping to dress it up a bit. Granted they took awhile to get to me because they came from China, but they were so worth it.

I also would twist or braid my fringe and start a half up sort of hairdo and then put the rest in a bun so the fringe would be out of my face during the day.

I've used the Gibson too with some success while growing out but the last time I had uneven layers to deal with I just put it up into a messy bun.

PrincessPhoebe
May 10th, 2014, 05:55 AM
I do have some layers but they are quite long ones - the disc bun with a hair stick was the first one I found easy to do and stable.

queenovnight
May 10th, 2014, 06:01 AM
Well, I had layers and still have quite a few. When my hair was shorter, I just kept it in a single braid, or two. Kinda like Wednesday from The Addams Family lol. With my bangs, I twisted them back and secured them with bobby pins. When it comes to growing out bangs, bobby pins are your best friend.

florenonite
May 10th, 2014, 06:02 AM

This is one of my favourite hair YouTubers! I'd recommend checking out her styles, too; I think her hair is similar to yours, although she doesn't have as many layers. Although some of them can be quite complex, there are others that are pretty simple as long as you can braid, and braids (especially on damp or oiled hair) are great at containing layers.

spidermom
May 10th, 2014, 09:26 AM
I like the equilibrium bun because it seems to catch and hold more layers than other buns. I do like to have some layers fall free around my face as the skinned-back look doesn't suit me, but if I need for all my hair to be back (like for gardening), I add a fabric head-band.