PDA

View Full Version : Any wig wearers out there?

Nope
April 26th, 2014, 12:56 PM
(Once again don't know where to post this, so sorry! D:)
Anyway. So I've been really interested in the idea of experimenting with neat colorful wigs while my frustrating hair grows out; I even ordered my first wig yesterday. But I'm a little nervous because I've heard that wearing wigs can damage your hair. Do any of you wear wigs on a regular/occasional basis? Do you notice any damage? Any tips for me? Thanks guys C:

Dreams_in_Pink
April 26th, 2014, 01:18 PM
I used clips and half wigs all the time when my hair was around shoulder length, especially half wigs which only covered backside of my hair where my hair was short. Despite all that handling my hair didn't show any signs of damage, but my hair is quite strong.

as far as i know, you need to let yor hair and scalp rest for a while after 12 hours of wearing a wig, or else your hair sheds due to lack of air. I'm not sure if that is true but i would stay on the safe side and not wear it for extended periods of time.

Loviatar
April 26th, 2014, 05:32 PM
I wear wigs for theatre/opera/Larp and love them :) I also have a switch, which is a clip in ponytail.

I have never experienced shedding from wig wearing but I do get "flat bangs" when I have combed all my hair back off my face to wear the wig. It is a pain getting the hair to lay right after even only a few hours' wear but I think that's because I have fine hair.

I tend to comb oil or leave in conditioner through my hair and put on a wig cap before I wear my wigs.

I don't wear them day to day though. My friends would laugh. I'd like a 3/4 fall wig though, like my mother wore in the 70s. A fall of hair on an Alice band to give her long hair at the back. She only had a pixie in real life.

OperaPhantom
April 26th, 2014, 06:20 PM
I'm no expert on wigs, but I do know a lot of cosplayers who wear wigs with their cosplays. I've never heard them mention hair damage, and some of them have hair down to their feet. They do recommend not wearing wigs when you sleep to let your hair breathe, but I don't know if that does anything. Also, wearing a wig to bed would damage the wig, so I wouldn't do that.
Depending on how short your hair is, you may or may not want to wear a wig cap. I wore a black bobbed wig when my hair was shoulder length, and didn't use a wig cap, and I was just fine. But my hair is dark/medium brown, so I wouldn't have known if it showed that much. If your wig is wildly different in colour to your hair, then I would suggest a wig cap. They're cheap at beauty supply stores.
Also, find out how to wash your wig. If it's a really cheap quality wig, you may not be able to. Most good quality wigs are washable, though. To store your wig, use either a foam head or wig stand, or keep in in a plastic zippy bag.
I really want to wear colourful wigs, but even the cheaper quality ones are expensive for me. :( I wish you luck!

MadeiraD
April 26th, 2014, 06:26 PM
I use a wig cap and it seems to be fine for my hair.

Rosa Harris
April 28th, 2014, 02:54 AM
always wear a wig cap - preferably breathable cotton that will absorb the sweat you may get if you are in the heat (big problem down here in south georgia) With the wig cap you hair is just as protected as it can possibly be in any style - you can even oil treat while wiggin out. My mom used to do that. She wore a wig when she would oil her hair if she needed to go out. I love crazy long wings and it lets you wear any style without damaging your own hair. My mom had very elaborate formal up-do wigs complete with rinestone tirras and stuff for special events.

YvetteVarie
April 28th, 2014, 03:47 AM
I wear my wigs with a wig cap, no problems as yet

laceyfairy
April 28th, 2014, 04:52 AM
When I wear wigs for cosplay I like to braid and lightly oil my hair and arrange the braid under a wig cap. I use the mesh kind of cap that looks like fishnet stockings because it happened to come with a wig. I have yet to notice significant damage

0xalis
April 30th, 2014, 02:02 AM
My hair doesn't seem to mind at all :) In fact, I think of it as a protective style!