PDA

View Full Version : I made my own sea salt/leave-in spray!

Ravenwind
April 26th, 2014, 11:56 AM
And I love it!!

After I wash and towel dry my hair, it's usually a little frizzy after it dries. This stuff actually helped tame the frizz and texturize my waves and layers. :) plus it's good for your hair!

http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t405/kirstiedawn/seasaltspray_zps678f8379.jpg (http://s1058.photobucket.com/user/kirstiedawn/media/seasaltspray_zps678f8379.jpg.html)

Here's what I used:
Everyone probably has these sitting around their house :)

An old perfume bottle (any spray bottle will do)
Aussie 3 minute miracle - Smooth (you can use any deep conditioner of your choice)
100% Aloe Vera gel
Coconut oil (or any other oil you prefer)
Sea salt
Warm water

I didn't go by any measurements, I just eyeballed it and used as much as I thought was necessary. But I did use 2 pumps of the deep conditioner, and 2 pumps of aloe vera gel.

I noticed sea salt sprays are becoming popular to create beachy/mermaid hair, and wanted to make my own! I thought it would be perfect for my hair type, and I wanted a leave-in spray of my own.

Let me know if any of you make your own and tell me how you like it!

Syren_Curls
April 26th, 2014, 12:07 PM
Great! Thanks for sharing! How much of the sea salt did you put into the mix, roughly, in comparison to the other ingredients...?

Ravenwind
April 26th, 2014, 12:10 PM
Great! Thanks for sharing! How much of the sea salt did you put into the mix, roughly, in comparison to the other ingredients...?

Maybe 2 tablespoons... I literally just started pouring and counted to 3 :grnbiggri

Ravenwind
April 26th, 2014, 12:11 PM
I also suggest using this on damp hair. I tried it when my hair was dry and it didn't feel very nice. lol

cheetahfast
April 26th, 2014, 12:25 PM
Posting so I can find this later!

Love the idea.

ArienEllariel
April 26th, 2014, 12:31 PM
ooooh. I need specifics so I can make this!

Henna Girl
April 26th, 2014, 12:40 PM
Thanks for sharing, I will make this since my hair also tends to frizz out a bit after washing.

Ravenwind
April 26th, 2014, 01:09 PM
ooooh. I need specifics so I can make this!

What kind of specifics do you need?

I'm glad you all like this! :)

Anje
April 26th, 2014, 09:21 PM
Looks nice!

One bit of advice though -- don't overdo it on the salt. Those of us with long memories on LHC can tell you it's a bad idea to put too much salt in a saltwater spray. (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=12690)

DweamGoiL
April 26th, 2014, 09:33 PM
I used to use this in the Summer to refresh waves in between washings when my hair was a bit shorter. Since I have fine hair, I would use a regular conditioner and was quite conservative with it. This was my recipe:

Fill Koi bottle with warm distilled water
1 tsp Conditioner
2 tbs DevaCurl Angel or Aloe Vera Gel
1½ tbs sea salt

Some people like to add a light oil as well depending on how much moisture your hair needs. I loved it, but now that my hair is longer, it waves naturally when I first wash it and I like that it straightens as it gets closer to the next wash day.

Ravenwind
April 26th, 2014, 11:20 PM
Looks nice!

One bit of advice though -- don't overdo it on the salt. Those of us with long memories on LHC can tell you it's a bad idea to put too much salt in a saltwater spray. (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=12690)

Yikes. I had a feeling it would be somewhat drying, my hair does feel on the drier side right now but I don't plan on using it all the time. I don't think I added TOO much O.o

Anje
April 27th, 2014, 06:09 AM
I think she used a LOT, if I remember right. It's been a while since I tracked down what happened, and following the links to anything before 2008 on LHC is harder. I think chelating was the thing that did the most to fix her hair, in the end - might be worth keeping in mind if you do have problems with dryness, with this or a commercial salt spray.

Ravenwind
April 28th, 2014, 10:42 AM
I think she used a LOT, if I remember right. It's been a while since I tracked down what happened, and following the links to anything before 2008 on LHC is harder. I think chelating was the thing that did the most to fix her hair, in the end - might be worth keeping in mind if you do have problems with dryness, with this or a commercial salt spray.

My hair feels fine now, the sea salt probably just coated my hair and that's what made it feel dry to make it texturized, since I did add in coconut oil and a deep conditioner. But who knows. :)