PDA

View Full Version : Question About Measuring Hair Thickness

Kayleena
September 15th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Hi, everyone! :bluesmile Okay, I've measured my ponytail twice with two slightly different results. My DH measured it at 2-3/4" on 09/17/07, then my GM stylist measured it at 2-7/8" on 10/09/07. As you can see, these measurements are very close, but I still don't know which measurement to use as my ponytail thickness. How tight {or loose} should the ponytail be tied when measuring its circumference? I have this concern because many hairties slide out of my fine hair. I will be visiting my GM stylist again soon, at which point I will have him measure it if there's time, so I was wondering if the hairtie I take along with me should compress my hair as much as possible or allow the hairs *a little* breathing room. Thanks in advance for any advice. :)

bunnii
September 15th, 2008, 04:17 PM
I did mine as tight as possible to get it as accurate as possible. But I may have been doing it wrong? hmmmm now you got me thinking lol

sapphire-o
September 15th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Your pony size might vary a bit depends on how clean your hair is, if it's dry or damp, and maybe even the weather. :) Mine vary up to 0.5", and my hair isn't thick or curly. I try to measure mine as tightly as possible.

Kayleena
September 18th, 2008, 11:36 PM
Hi to all! :) Thanks for the replies, bunnii and sapphire-o! :flower: I just got to thinking that maybe the hairties I used weren't tight enough when I measured before because of the sliding, but OTOH, I'm afraid that if I put my hair in too tight of a hairtie, it might cause the hairs to break, so I was trying to find out the definition of a "comfortable" tight ponytail, if that makes any sense. :lol: From what both of you are saying, though, it sounds like I should find a smaller hairtie to take to my next hair appointment for measuring. It will be soon; I'll post an update after that.

bunnii
September 19th, 2008, 04:24 PM
I think it should be tight but not so tight that it's a struggle to tie it then you might get some breakage. I look forward to your update :flower:

WritingPrincess
September 19th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Whichever it is, you *are* a solid ii, that's not varying. Let us know how the appointment goes.

Periwinkle
September 20th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Have you seen those bendy plastic rulers you can get? I use one of those: I wrap it round my hair to make a pony, then slide one end down so that the end of the ruler is touching the part that's gone once round my hair. Then I put my fingers on the part it touches, take it off, and voila!

Kayleena
October 1st, 2008, 01:32 AM
Hi, everyone! :bluesmile Sorry I’m a little slow with this update, the schedule got busy again. When I went for my hair appointment on 09/25, I made sure that I had a smaller hairtie this time; it was tight, but not uncomfortable to wear and not difficult to put in my hair. {Thanks for your advice on that, bunnii. :)}. My GM stylist measured my ponytail circumference at 2-7/8”, the same result he had nearly a year ago, so now I will stick to that number. As you said, WritingPrincess, I am definitely a solid ii either way, so that's good. :cool: Periwinkle, I haven’t seen those bendy rulers before, but I’ll go looking for them sometime. They sound neat. Again, thanks to all who replied! Have a good day!

sky
October 1st, 2008, 01:54 AM
Have you seen those bendy plastic rulers you can get? I use one of those: I wrap it round my hair to make a pony, then slide one end down so that the end of the ruler is touching the part that's gone once round my hair. Then I put my fingers on the part it touches, take it off, and voila!Oh, that's a great idea!

sky