PDA

View Full Version : Growing out hair ughhhh

creme
April 25th, 2014, 10:39 PM
So I had dyed my hair with henna. Which I don't know if it's BAQ or compound (bought in a container from Bonvit naturall henna colours)

The colour turned out absolutely terrible. It's patchy, becoming really orange and uneven. i have yellowish splotches on my crown etc. My natural colour was an ash brown. I researched about trying to remove henna and nothing seems to be able to work. my only resort is to..
Grow the darn hair out which is making me go flippin crazy :cheese:

So my main concerns are...

- The skunk line that will appear when growing out the henna. (Will it grow unevenly and not too noticable or will i grow very straight and obvious)
- How fast on average can hair grow? (every week, month, year etc)
- Will the baby hairs (whispy hairs) around the face grow out the henna? Because they're generally lighter, thinner, shorter hairs - the red/orange is much brighter and horrible on this part of my hair..
- Could my new growing hair come out redish because of the dye. (I heard that henna can stick around forever and continue dying the new grown hair)
- Which section of the hair generally grows faster?

I won't be re-dying over my hair or touching up roots in order to even it out or fix the skunk/demarcation line.

two_wheels
April 25th, 2014, 11:21 PM
First, your new hair will be your natural colour, henna won't creep inside your follicles & continue to dye your hair, don't worry! Your baby hairs will grow out too.

Hair grows about 0.5" per month on average. Iirc you are young, right? It's likely to be faster for you.

If you only hennaed once, it is likely to fade over the next few months, try not to freak out although I can understand that.

Henna grow out lines seem softer than box dye, so it will not be really harsh, especially because it should fade.

For me, the hair at the back and nape grows faster, this varies between people.

Hang in there. You could also try toning it with an ashy based toner.

creme
April 25th, 2014, 11:25 PM
First, your new hair will be your natural colour, henna won't creep inside your follicles & continue to dye your hair, don't worry! Your baby hairs will grow out too.

Hair grows about 0.5" per month on average. Iirc you are young, right? It's likely to be faster for you.

If you only hennaed once, it is likely to fade over the next few months, try not to freak out although I can understand that.

Henna grow out lines seem softer than box dye, so it will not be really harsh, especially because it should fade.

For me, the hair at the back and nape grows faster, this varies between people.

Hang in there. You could also try toning it with an ashy based toner.

thank you for this

KittyBird
April 26th, 2014, 12:03 AM
- The skunk line that will appear when growing out the henna. (Will it grow unevenly and not too noticable or will i grow very straight and obvious)
- How fast on average can hair grow? (every week, month, year etc)
- Will the baby hairs (whispy hairs) around the face grow out the henna? Because they're generally lighter, thinner, shorter hairs - the red/orange is much brighter and horrible on this part of my hair..
- Could my new growing hair come out redish because of the dye. (I heard that henna can stick around forever and continue dying the new grown hair)
- Which section of the hair generally grows faster?

(bolded mine) I wish!!! That would make my life so much easier! But no, the henna will not stick around and automatically turn the new growth orange.
The first few inches are the worst when you're growing out, but after that it gets easier. Trust me. I started growing out black dye and dying the new growth with henna, and it looked pretty strange to have pitch black hair and neon orange roots. However, after a while the black started to fade, and the red became long enough to be incorporated into my braids and updos. It makes for a nice ombre effect.
I think your demarcation line will be fairly soft and not very noticeable after a while. There's a growing out dye thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=51155&page=483) here, you can check that one out if you haven't already.

creme
April 26th, 2014, 12:43 AM
(bolded mine) I wish!!! That would make my life so much easier! But no, the henna will not stick around and automatically turn the new growth orange.
The first few inches are the worst when you're growing out, but after that it gets easier. Trust me. I started growing out black dye and dying the new growth with henna, and it looked pretty strange to have pitch black hair and neon orange roots. However, after a while the black started to fade, and the red became long enough to be incorporated into my braids and updos. It makes for a nice ombre effect.
I think your demarcation line will be fairly soft and not very noticeable after a while. There's a growing out dye thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=51155&page=483) here, you can check that one out if you haven't already.

thankyou very much

ErinLeigh
April 26th, 2014, 01:29 AM
What color is your natural hair and what color did the henna bring you too? I find a demarcation line is pretty harsh (stripe appearance) in the first 2 inches, then softens and starts to become more uneven after that

There is a giving up dye thread that is filled with photos of people growing out dye that should be able to give you some comfort as well as let you see the grow out process in the various stages.

I do think your color will fade a lot over time so your demarcation line should be very gradual eventually.

creme
April 26th, 2014, 01:54 AM
What color is your natural hair and what color did the henna bring you too? I find a demarcation line is pretty harsh (stripe appearance) in the first 2 inches, then softens and starts to become more uneven after that

There is a giving up dye thread that is filled with photos of people growing out dye that should be able to give you some comfort as well as let you see the grow out process in the various stages.

I do think your color will fade a lot over time so your demarcation line should be very gradual eventually.

my natural hair colour is ash brown, and the henna gave me a coppery tone. I'll have to really discipline myself when growing this out

Lyv
April 26th, 2014, 02:04 AM
I think it should fade some and after a couple of inches the demarcation line isn't as obvious. Mine was bleached blonde dyed red and then hennaed over and while you could tell that it was different colors the longer it got the less harsh it looked. I did end up just cutting my hair because I didn't want to deal with the grow out but I still have some henna left now and it's not noticeable anymore at all. As for hair growth the average is .5" but I get between .75"-1" a month so the best way to know is to track your own growth to see what you get a month.

creme
April 26th, 2014, 02:33 AM
I think it should fade some and after a couple of inches the demarcation line isn't as obvious. Mine was bleached blonde dyed red and then hennaed over and while you could tell that it was different colors the longer it got the less harsh it looked. I did end up just cutting my hair because I didn't want to deal with the grow out but I still have some henna left now and it's not noticeable anymore at all. As for hair growth the average is .5" but I get between .75"-1" a month so the best way to know is to track your own growth to see what you get a month.

yes thankyou. Hopefully my demarcation line won't be too harsh.
your hair is very beautiful btw

snuflan
April 26th, 2014, 05:28 AM
Try colour b4! Lots of people have had success with it :) sure, it makes your hair smell like rotten eggs but it does take away a fair amount of colour even from henna. It's worth a shot!

Dreams_in_Pink
April 26th, 2014, 05:33 AM
When exactly did you henna your hair?
When i cut my 2 year old hennaed hair, it was a black-burgundy color although it was lighter than my own hair 4 days following the application.
Henna oxidizes (darkens) greatly in first 4 days but keeps on changing as time goes by. Henna isn't one single color, it keeps changing. And even if it stays bright, since it's a translucent dye it will only show when in front of a very bright light source (sun, most probably :) )

Wait a while. It will get better :)

torrilin
April 26th, 2014, 06:44 AM
The skunk line that will appear when growing out the henna. (Will it grow unevenly and not too noticable or will i grow very straight and obvious)

For most people, the demarcation line between dyed and undyed will be fairly visible for the first 2-3" of growth. If your hair tends towards growth spurts and not growing super evenly, it might disappear by 2", if your hair is like mine it will take more like 6-8" for the line to soften up.

So, that's the bad news. The good news is most ash blondes and ash browns get natural red tones if it's the sort of hair to go streaky and get lots of natural highlights. And it sounds like you've got that sort since your baby hairs are lighter. So the dye should be less obvious the longer your hair gets.

Wildcat Diva
April 26th, 2014, 07:38 AM
Yeah, remember that each hair grows slightly differently, so that line is going to soften due to some racer hairs growing longer. This effect will continue and increase the longer you grow. I'm thinking... anyone else agree?

veryhairyfairy
April 26th, 2014, 01:40 PM
Oil soak!

If you just did your henna recently, you could pull some of the color out by soaking your hair with oil until it is drippy (coconut, olive, sunflower oil, etc) and then leaving the oil in for as long as you can stand (overnight is best).
Then soak your hair in your conditioner (without wetting it) and leave that for as long as you can stand (at least an hour). Then hop in the shower and do your usual hair routine. :)

I did a henna recently and then decided to remove some of it, and the 3 oil-and-then-conditioner soaks I've done since then have really made a difference in how red my hair is!

Hope this helps, good luck! :flower:

lapushka
April 26th, 2014, 03:19 PM
If you only colored your hair with henna once, it will gradually fade with time. It's not as if it was a full-on multiple application process, so there should not be a visible line of demarcation. Henna will not keep on dying your hair - impossible! Just leave it be and grow it out, there's nothing more you can do. Hair does grow, but it grows slowly, so first and foremost you are just going to have to be *patient*. :)