PDA

View Full Version : Where did THOSE come from?

swords & roses
April 25th, 2014, 06:26 PM
What the--
WAVES!!! :happydance:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10570&d=1398470782
(Before brushing)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10571&d=1398470783
(After brushing)

Where on earth did THOSE come from?

While technically not a hairtyping experiment, could this bump me up to 1c/2a territory, possibly? I always *thought* I had stick straight hair since childhood. Then discovered really unattractive waves when I chopped to mid neck length, which thankfully went away as my hair grew long again. I started noticing a bit more wave to my ends in the past 2 or 3 weeks, but assumed that was just due to split ends that are long overdue for a trim. This is the highest up, most pronounced waviness I've ever seen in my hair! Good job, hair!

But..... what am I supposed to do with it? I love being able to run my fingers through my hair, especially right after a wash when it's super soft & silky, but I can only do that after it's been brushed. And while most days, my hair looks best after a brushing, I gotta say it looks better in the unbrushed photo, above. Granted, it looks like crap in a bun if it's unbrushed, and buns are required during the work day. Soooo, what's the proper care & feeding of this newest phase of my head?

For those who'd like to know, my procedure the day of these photos was thus:

Brush to detangle (brush is a combo of wire bristles to detangle & boar bristles to smooth)
Hop in shower
Shampoo, rinse. Condiiton, rinse. (Scalp to end with both.)
Squeeze out excess water once with hands, then once with towel.
Puddle hair onto towel, & give it one good scrunch. Release hair.
Comb scalp only, to tidy up the part & get crown frizzies to calm down.
Let air dry, leaving hair loose
Surprise! Waves!

FallingDarkness
April 25th, 2014, 07:47 PM
Wow those are really pretty waves!
I don't think you're quite a 2a, I have myself classified as a 2a and those are my waves *stares at avvie for a moment* but I'd say about 1c. :)
Congrats on the gorgeous waves! *applauds*

Wildcat Diva
April 25th, 2014, 07:52 PM
Those are beautiful waves!

From reading the thread title, I thought the thread might be what we might say coyly when yet another package of hairtoys comes in the mail!

Kat
April 25th, 2014, 07:56 PM
No advice really, but, pretty!!

Although, as far as brushing is concerned-- I do have quite straight hair, but brushing it, while tidying it (getting rid of the "stringiness") also tends to puff up the damaged bits (my hair's very prone to dryness/damage, so these bits are legion) and then my hair looks ratty and damaged (not so when it's not been brushed out). I find that combing with a fine comb sorts it out into being smooth, but doesn't make my hair turn poofy-ratty looking.

I also have one of these, which almost seems a brush-comb hybrid on my hair, but it also doesn't exacerbate the appearance of damaged hair.
http://www.sallybeauty.com/Comb/SBS-502100,default,pd.html

swords & roses
April 25th, 2014, 08:24 PM
Those are beautiful waves!

From reading the thread title, I thought the thread might be what we might say coyly when yet another package of hairtoys comes in the mail!

I WISH another package of hairtoys would come in the mail! Not int he budget, though. ;)

swords & roses
April 25th, 2014, 08:27 PM
No advice really, but, pretty!!

Although, as far as brushing is concerned-- I do have quite straight hair, but brushing it, while tidying it (getting rid of the "stringiness") also tends to puff up the damaged bits (my hair's very prone to dryness/damage, so these bits are legion) and then my hair looks ratty and damaged (not so when it's not been brushed out). I find that combing with a fine comb sorts it out into being smooth, but doesn't make my hair turn poofy-ratty looking.

I also have one of these, which almost seems a brush-comb hybrid on my hair, but it also doesn't exacerbate the appearance of damaged hair.
http://www.sallybeauty.com/Comb/SBS-502100,default,pd.html

THAT is a tool I haven't seen before! Looks interesting. I saw my local Sally's has Tangle Teasers too, but I'm not sure what hair types those are supposed to be for. (And the TTs look hard to hold onto, without a handle like a regular brush!) I might give your comb a try one of these days! Thanks for the link!

swords & roses
April 25th, 2014, 08:29 PM
Wow those are really pretty waves!
I don't think you're quite a 2a, I have myself classified as a 2a and those are my waves *stares at avvie for a moment* but I'd say about 1c. :)
Congrats on the gorgeous waves! *applauds*

Ok, good to know! Thanks! I think I'll leave my profile's classification as it is, at 1b/1c, since this waviness was encouraged by scrunching a bit, so if I did a true hairtyping experiment, I doubt it'd be this wavy. Thanks for helping with the distinction! :)

ashke50
April 26th, 2014, 03:01 AM
What lovely waves! I think you could drop the 1b from your classifier and go for 1c, unless this is really different from how it goes when drying without scrunching.

Wosie
April 26th, 2014, 03:08 AM
To me you could definitely be a 2a, and perhaps even a 2b if you continue encouraging the waves. Your hair looks very pretty unbrushed. Have you ever gotten properly hairtyped before? 1b/1c sounds way too straight for your hair.

Anje
April 26th, 2014, 05:41 AM
To me you could definitely be a 2a, and perhaps even a 2b if you continue encouraging the waves. Your hair looks very pretty unbrushed. Have you ever gotten properly hairtyped before? 1b/1c sounds way too straight for your hair.

This is more what I'm thinking. That's a really small wavelength for 2a. I think if you tweak your routine to encourage waves, you might be about 2b.

torrilin
April 26th, 2014, 06:34 AM
yeah, definitely try curl friendly stuff, see what happens. I'm seeing some attempts at corkscrews at the very end and a short wavelength overall. I don't *think* you belong in the 3s, but no way are you a 1.

Aingeal
April 26th, 2014, 06:43 AM
Beautiful waves! Would love to see what happens when you try to encourage them .

BonnieU
April 26th, 2014, 06:52 AM
Purely dropping silicone would encourage the waves if that is what you're looking for. There's a whole regimin if you are really looking to be a wurly/curly though, so you'd have to consider that....but your hair is beautiful so you don't necessarily "need" to do anything :)

swords & roses
April 26th, 2014, 07:38 AM
I'm not sure if I want to encourage more curl/wave, or discourage it, to be honest. I LOVE the way the waves look! But wurly hair means no brushing. I don't know if I could handle the tangles without going a little crazy, or getting sad that I couldn't run my fingers through it any more.... :/

As for products, I'm currently using some "fancy to me" stuff that was given to me for free: Suave Professionals Almond & Shea Butter Moisture shampoo & conditioner, which have SLS & dimethicone, respectively. When those are empty, I'll be back to my usual, $1/bottle V05 set, which is cone-free. We'll see what it does when I switch! Whenever I get around to trimming off my splits, I may lose those corkscrews at the ends, but we'll see! (My splits go pretty high, usually; like 2+ inches up.)

I should be able to do a proper typing tonight or tomorrow morning. *Must remember not to squeeze out water or scrunch hair or comb crown!* I'll let y'all know how that goes!

swords & roses
April 26th, 2014, 07:47 AM

This is more what I'm thinking. That's a really small wavelength for 2a. I think if you tweak your routine to encourage waves, you might be about 2b.

Wha-- Really?! *squee!!!*

I need to retype again. Any other time I've typed, it's been much straighter than this. When I type this weekend, we'll see if my hair has actually changed that much, or if it's just highly encourageable. ;)

lapushka
April 26th, 2014, 04:57 PM
I do think that's 1c/2a!

swords & roses
April 27th, 2014, 09:36 AM
Hairtyping experiment complete!

Here it is, untouched:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10597&d=1398612542

And after detangling with a comb meant for curlies:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10598&d=1398612546

And again after brushing:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10599&d=1398612550

Given how it looks untouched, I think I'll call it a solid 1c. What say you?

I think I'll either encourage more waves or encourage more straightnes at each wash day. My natural wave pattern, when left to its own whims, is kinda meh, and will apparently flee at the slightest attempt at detangling.

flemeister
April 27th, 2014, 09:48 AM
1c/2a *at least*, or maybe just a solid 2a? :D

Looking at the 1c/2a photo in this thread: Visual Hairtyping Guide (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=116252)

"2a - loose, stretched out S-waves throughout the hair" =3

Kiwiwi
April 27th, 2014, 10:09 AM
If there are any waves then you are without a doubt OUT of the 1 range. There are no waves in 1.
So I'd say 2A/2B.
In the first picture of this thread you are def. a 2B. Maybe even close to 2C. As there are almost spirals forming.

I think if you'd treat your hair like you did for your first picture for a longer period of time, your waves will show a lot more and who knows! You might have some curls going on.
Cos that's what happens with wavie/curlie hair. If it's treated like that for a longer time, they will form better and better :)

Wosie
April 27th, 2014, 10:23 AM
If I were you I'd go with 2a/2b. You are definitely a wavy girl! Lucky you, it looks beautiful. :)

Anje
April 27th, 2014, 10:36 AM
From those pics, I'd put you at about 2a, I think.

That said, hair type does seem to change with increasing moisture, hair health, and just over the course of people's lives. Given the pics at the beginning of the thread, I still think that a little routine-tweaking might push you more to 2b or so. My 1c/2a hair wouldn't ever get tight waves like that without doing something relatively intensive like rag curls -- that you can do it by scrunching suggests to me that you've got a lot of hidden wave potential.

swords & roses
April 27th, 2014, 05:51 PM
You're all awesome! I'll call it a 2a, then, & see where it ends up over time! When I get a chance, I'll have to start researching ways to encourage waves (besides the scrunching I did in the first post of this thread) & how to care for them when they show up!

Thanks for your help, everyone! :flower:

swords & roses
April 28th, 2014, 02:26 PM
I updated my siggy pic to the one fromt he beginning of this thread, and now ever time I scroll past my own posts, I think "Wow, that lady has some awesome hair! Oh wait, that's mine! No way that's mine!" ;)

Tried plopping this morning, using a long-sleeved T-shirt. No notable results. But I'll keep trying things! :)