PDA

View Full Version : Long hair and Sleeping!!

shaman
September 15th, 2008, 03:39 PM
How do you guys do it?? is there some sort of way to wrap it; wear a beanie to bed??

I am very annoyed with waking up tangled and am just plain tired of sleeping with my hair down. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! thanx!

lynnala
September 15th, 2008, 03:40 PM
I put mine in either one braid or two. Some here wear nightcaps.

Bene
September 15th, 2008, 03:41 PM
my hair isn't nearly long enough to give significant advice. but, i put it in a single loose braid before bed. no tangles for me :)

bunnii
September 15th, 2008, 03:42 PM
I braid or when my scalp's sensitive I just do a loose ponytail.

Brianna
September 15th, 2008, 03:42 PM
I either put mine in a braid or a sleep-tail (hair bands all down the length). I'm not really sure which one is my favourite. On one hand, the braid is more flexible and easier to sleep on, but then the sleep tail is much easier to comb out again in the morning.

BunnyBee
September 15th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Before I got my hair cut I used to put my hair in a low ponytail with bands all the way down the length. It stayed in place all night (and I toss and turn a lot!) and was completely tangle free in the morning.
Since my hair is shorter and layered now it doesn't work so well.

I've heard that sleeping on a satin pillowcase can help stop your hair tangling too, but I've yet to try that. :)

Gumball
September 15th, 2008, 03:48 PM
I'm another nighttime braider. I sleep with one braid and I wake up with much less hair frustration than I might have had should I have gone to bed with my hair loose. How you do it will be personal preference, but a sleep braid seems to work for a good amount of people. It just might work for you.

Ohio Sky
September 15th, 2008, 03:51 PM
I usually braid, but bunning also works well if you sleep on your side. Or, you can always pul your hair all the way up to the top of your head and bun it there! Just don't let anyone take pics of you like this.

Many swear by silk/satin pillowcases but I'm too cheap to go for that one.

Toof
September 15th, 2008, 03:59 PM
I moved my mattress a few inches away from the headboard and just drape the hair over the pillow and let it hang down through. It always stays put and I rarely even have nape tangles in the morning.

saracuda
September 15th, 2008, 04:05 PM
I lay down, pull all my hair up to my crown, and make a scrunchie bun. It works great for me! Make sure you pull a little bit loose in the back so it doesn't feel tight on your neck hairs all night.

bjt
September 15th, 2008, 04:06 PM
I moved my mattress a few inches away from the headboard and just drape the hair over the pillow and let it hang down through.
I do the same kind of thing. my bed at home has a headboard with widely spaced metal bars, so my hair just flows between the bars and down the back of the bed. It works great--never have any problems with tangles.
I do braid my hair when I'm in a hotel or something, but its kinda like sleeping on a thick rope so its not my favorite thing.

I also used to know someone who would make a braid straight out from the top of her head to sleep. Looked funny, but worked well for her.

PhillyGirl1978@
September 15th, 2008, 04:31 PM
I have curly hair and I sleep in a pineapple (a high pony tail on top of my head) I actually have to put it up in a scrunchie and then put the tail of that in another ponytail holder a little closer to the ends. It works well for me. I actually can do it when it's wet. I wake up and take it out, shake it out a little and the curls are pretty perfect.

Suitsuki
September 15th, 2008, 05:07 PM
I move a lot in my sleep and find two braids uncomfortable, a single one is so much better. My hair is tangle-free in the morning, I only fingercomb. And braidwaves are always nice to have :cheese:

Shypii90
September 15th, 2008, 05:15 PM
My hair isn't long per se, it's just very curly and tangle-prone!
Lately I found a satin pillowcase (yay me!) but when I wake up I still have tangles. I toss and turn all night; I can't keep my head still. So whatever method exists doesn't work for me; I have to 'rinse out the tangles' every morning!

Chromis
September 15th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Satin pillowcase and a single braid.

My scalp doesn't like high buns and my hair doesn't stay put when draped.

FrannyG
September 15th, 2008, 05:41 PM
I use a satin pillowcase, and while I used to braid, I find it more comfy to make a bun on the top of my head. I think it looks cute. :)

Anje
September 15th, 2008, 05:42 PM
I normally wear a satin sleep bonnet. The silly thing is horribly unsexy, but it keeps the Evil Braid Tassel Munching Cat at bay. I often braid my hair before tossing it into the thing, but it doesn't seem necessary. It doesn't tangle much in there either way, and it keeps me and DH from sleeping on my hair.

LilyMunster
September 15th, 2008, 05:52 PM
I normally wear a satin sleep bonnet. The silly thing is horribly unsexy, but it keeps the Evil Braid Tassel Munching Cat at bay. I often braid my hair before tossing it into the thing, but it doesn't seem necessary. It doesn't tangle much in there either way, and it keeps me and DH from sleeping on my hair.

That's funny about your DH sleeping on your hair. My husband, in a deep, sound sleep will automatically sit-up halfway if I say 'My Hair!'. He does not even remember it in the morning. Not that I've just said that for the fun of it when having an insomnia night..................(going on 23 years of marriage has it's fun moments).

embee
September 15th, 2008, 06:21 PM
I used to do a single braid, but it's pretty warm in summer. So I've started doing a loose very high bun and that works well. Scrunchy or a big hairpin, either one for me.

A good side effect of the very high sleeping bun is that I seem to now have fewer scalp/hair aches! Maybe the roots are getting used hair gathered up high *and* hair gathered at the nape. Who knows...

freznow
September 15th, 2008, 06:28 PM
I do a braid slightly to one side, that goes on top of me while I sleep. It moves during the night, but it's okay cuz it's in a braid.

Teazel
September 15th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Satin pillowcase and a single plait. :)

Kittee
September 15th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Usually a single braid. Either straight behind, or to one of my sides. Still tangly in the morning. Tonight I am going to try a high bun as others have suggested. :)

ssjhotau2
September 15th, 2008, 08:04 PM
I always had to braid mine. Otherwise I would wake up in the night, unable to breathe, strangled by my own hair.
This was back when my hair was long :(

Pierre
September 15th, 2008, 08:08 PM
I wear a Buff, and if I braid it, I keep it braided at night so that the curly hairs will align to the braid.

Stagecoach
September 15th, 2008, 08:09 PM
How do you guys do it?? is there some sort of way to wrap it; wear a beanie to bed??

I am very annoyed with waking up tangled and am just plain tired of sleeping with my hair down. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! thanx!

How long is your hair Shaman? And what all have you tried? I sleep with mine loose, but I always place it over my pillow and let it dangle back there.

Reptilia
September 15th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Ugh, I need help with this. I toss and turn a LOT. Even with a braid, it's usually at least a bit knotted up in the back.

rubyredslippers
September 15th, 2008, 08:33 PM
That's funny about your DH sleeping on your hair. My husband, in a deep, sound sleep will automatically sit-up halfway if I say 'My Hair!'. He does not even remember it in the morning. Not that I've just said that for the fun of it when having an insomnia night..................(going on 23 years of marriage has it's fun moments).

I laughed so hard at this! I can just picture it, too. Good to know that there's something to look forward to:twisted:.

MermaidGirl
September 15th, 2008, 11:51 PM
Satin pillowcases and either a bun right on top of my head, or a single braid down the back. Apparently I do gymnastics during the night (and not the fun kind, but the "I can't get comfortable to save my life" kind) and I find the braid stays better. The bun oftentimes gets flung out of its scrunchie.

yuccalyptus
September 15th, 2008, 11:55 PM
I wear it in a loose bun on the top of my head, secured with a hair elastic. It's not so much so my hair won't get tangled, but rather to help prevent my hair from touching my face at night (recommended to me by esthetician as I have acne).

Duchess of Erat
September 16th, 2008, 01:44 AM
Another braider here, mainly because a braid is much easier to keep close to myself, so my bf doesn't sleep on it.

Lisa-Maria
September 16th, 2008, 05:03 AM
I've braided my hair for sleep since I was about seven and it has worked very well all these years. Now I even have trouble falling asleep if my hair isn't braided.

Ketisfolk
September 16th, 2008, 05:14 AM
I usually just leave it loose, however I think I may have to start braiding it or something soon. Problem is I find that I can't get one braid down my back tight enough to stay in all night so I'll have to do pigtails. Hmm.

Jean_Grey
September 16th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Another braider/ponytailer here. When I was younger, I used to tie it in a sock. :P

LibbyO
September 16th, 2008, 09:03 AM
I braid it every single night unless it is damp. I hate having to leave it loose then, I get all tangled up in it while I'm sleeping!

Speedbump
September 16th, 2008, 09:45 AM
I braid mine. Only way to keep it from turning into one giant tangled knot.

mooglewoo
September 16th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Sidebraid for me. Any other braid and I get tangles in the morning. Sometimes I wear it down, but I try not to or it gets full with static.

shaman
September 22nd, 2008, 05:46 PM
I'm 6'2 and my hair is a lil' lower than mid back. I yell 'hair' at night too with my girl. pure comedy.

MountainGypsy
September 22nd, 2008, 09:30 PM
I sleep with mine loose. It does not get tangled. I am sure it would be better for it if I put in a braid, but I just can't sleep in braids or buns.

Luonnotar
September 23rd, 2008, 08:21 AM
I used to braid it but that really damaged the ends.. so lately I've been making a bun on the back of my head which I hold with a large ficcare, works much better for me :)

Nyghtingale
September 23rd, 2008, 08:39 AM
I used to braid it but that really damaged the ends.. so lately I've been making a bun on the back of my head which I hold with a large ficcare, works much better for me :)
I agree, the ends started to get damaged so I do a high bun now held with my favorite pins. very comfy.

NeilTheFuzz
September 23rd, 2008, 09:41 AM
I struggle with this all the time too. I would tie my hair in a tail with ties all the way down, but it kind of gets in the way and is uncomfortable, like I'm laying on a stick - and I'm a REALLY light sleeper - so that's no good. So, I normally just tie my hair into a low pony tail and deal with the mess in the morning!

Neil

Amara
September 23rd, 2008, 11:39 AM
I do twin braids, a figure 8 bun on the top of my head with two hair scroos or a short stick, or sometimes leave it loose. I've also done twin wrapped crown braids with a couple of clippies on the top of my head, and that works well, but if I'm ready for bed and my hair's not already in twin braids, I don't bother making this style.

LaurelSpring
September 23rd, 2008, 11:56 AM
I was doing a single braid but it became uncomfortable when I sleep on my back so I switched to pigtails and I like this much better. If my hair is damp and I want curls in the morning I have a fuzzy wire thing called a brain noodle that I found in a craft store that I wrap on top of my head. Its very light and perfect for sleeping. I use to do this with a hairdini but its much heavier and tighter and the dampness made it fall apart.

spidermom
September 23rd, 2008, 12:21 PM
Most of the time, top of head ponytail or scrunchie bun. Sometimes side braid.

Iylivarae
September 23rd, 2008, 01:33 PM
I mostly braid it, sometimes I just wrap scrunchies around it every 5-10'', so it stays in place, but I don't have braid waves in the morning.

Tressie
September 23rd, 2008, 04:58 PM
Lately, I have been sleeping with my hair in a not too tight cinnabun on top of my head with very short sticks! It stays put fairly well and really is surprisingly comfortable.

bohemian
September 23rd, 2008, 05:33 PM
My hair is maybe BSL with layers. I wear it up in a twisty type bun on top of my head (think, looser ballerina bun). I tye it with just two wraps of my no snag pony tail. I find I get more body too when I take it out and the curls are better defined. When it gets longer I'm going to try the single braid idea. (To many layers right now to make even a pretty braid.)

Bronwyn Grace
September 23rd, 2008, 09:02 PM
I usually just do a low ponytail, considering my hair isn't that long... and then sometimes I will braid it and take it down in the morning so I have waves. I really like the idea of a loose scrunchie bun.

gav616
September 24th, 2008, 06:03 AM
loose, like this on the pillow; (lol all you want at the pic, i was gonna do arrows but i think its easy to work out what's what's :D)

http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/1959/60582204zr9.png

Addy
September 24th, 2008, 06:12 AM
loose, like this on the pillow; (lol all you want at the pic, i was gonna do arrows but i think its easy to work out what's what's :D)

http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/1959/60582204zr9.png

Yep! That's how I do it gav616! Same side of the bed too!:D

mortiziia
October 2nd, 2008, 03:45 AM
This has been my first tangle-free morning ever. I followed your tips and tied my hair in a low, loose pony tail with small-ish bands all the way down, et voilà, no struggling with my comb today, no shedding, no breakage! Even coffee tasted better :D!
It had plainly never occurred to me that I could avoid the daily morning detangling routine by simply tying my hair up with a few bands (ok I'm slow). Admittedly it was not comfortable but I'm sure it'll get better as I grow accustomed to it.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Sarahmoon
October 2nd, 2008, 05:15 AM
I braid mine. Works very well against tangles (only sometimes the tassel is a bit tangles but I can detangle that quite easily) and I wake up with wavier hair :D It's one of the best changes I ever made to my hair routine.

patissegrietje
October 2nd, 2008, 08:30 AM
I usually make a single loose braid and toss it over my pillow so i don't sleep on it, but i'm experimenting with a bun wrapped in a silk scarf right now, just to see if it is better for my fragile ends ;-)

Jim
October 2nd, 2008, 09:25 AM
I either braid it or if it is loose, I pull it up over the end of the bed and let it hang or pull it over the pillow and tuck it under. It stays there surprisingly well.

Monsterkitti
October 2nd, 2008, 09:45 AM
I tried a single braid but didnt get on too well with it so now I just pile it all up in a bun high on my head held by a soft scrunchie, seems to work pretty nicely.

dor3girl
October 2nd, 2008, 10:00 AM
I used to braid mine. Lately, I just bun it & stick in a ketylo. I am a tummy sleeper--so I am sure the bun thing wouldn't work if you like sleeping on yer back. I have even stuck my hair in some pantyhose & put a rubber band on the outside (that was just weird--but it worked for a while).

heidi w.
October 2nd, 2008, 10:56 AM
Glad to hear your success.

My only further suggestion is two thoughts:

Make sure that when you sleep your hair part is in its natural position. NO drawn back hair over the head. You want to allow the capillaries and roots a time to rest too. Drawing them too tightly or (day AND night) against the way they naturally lie (down, not lifted) can mean irritation and headaches. This helps you sleep better.

Thus, make sure the ponied hair (braided...) is not taught and doesn't begin too flush to the head.

I find that positioning the pony off to the side or higher up on the back of the head, loose beginning point, helps to ensure that I don't sleep on some weird lump. Consider 2 ponytail lengths....

Next, be sure to use binds that are soft such as scrunchies or cloth covered, and again, not overly tight. Be sure to position these at different locations each night so you don't create lines of demarcation. You only need containment, not hard core tightness in the bind.

Finally: sleep on a slippery surface so hair can slide and glide.

With added length, you'll get more weight and then eventually you can loosely braid with no binds and the weight will lay over the pillow just fine -- either off to the side or over the pillow above the head and down the edge of the bed (I also use an old silk dress to line the edge of my bed where hair can spill down -- slide & glide!)

heidi w.

sibylla
October 2nd, 2008, 12:29 PM
I lay my hair on the other side of my pillow in form of an "L" (upside down). That way I can twist and turn but the length is still. I couldnīt sleep if I had my hair near my body.

musicmomma
October 2nd, 2008, 08:37 PM
i just bought a sleep scarf today. let you know how it works tomorrow. i have my hair in a braid down my back normally. :)

hennared
October 2nd, 2008, 09:20 PM
If I am reading you guys correctly, the point of tying up the hair is to protect the length and prevent tangles.. right? do you think, though, it's best for the scalp? I guess I feel my scalp overall is happier if I leave my hair loose. If I tie it up, it is easier to comb out in the morning, but I feel that hair pulled back sensation, no matter how loosely I tie it back. so, what do you think is most gentle on the scalp? I have a really nice silk pillowcase I made to lie on..... :)

zaftig2k
October 3rd, 2008, 01:11 AM
I have always just put my hair up in a high bun, and sleep on a satin pillowcase. Works like a charm.

chantiny
October 6th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Hi, this may have been asked already as I read through this entire thread half asleep, so missed out on some big chunks I'm sure. I have begun to braid my hair to sleep, but it always ends up SUPER SUPER tangled afterwards. Worse than if I had left it loose. My hair is just past BSL, pretty much fine and somewhat thick. It seems like my ends are uneven because a braid for me always ends up with hairs sticking out of every individual plait, and if slept on, it turns into a giant ratty nest running down the length of it. Am I just doing something wrong? Any tips to make the braid not tangle itself while I sleep?