PDA

View Full Version : do your temple hairs take this long?

mamaherrera
April 25th, 2014, 01:12 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=11167&attachmentid=15203

Does anyone else have this issue, where there temple hairs take forever going inwards, before they start growing long??? I Have all these "short" terminal length hairs, and it goes pretty far in, before they grow normal length.http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=11167&attachmentid=10569
This is me bringing them forward, to see how far back I have my "wispies"

Rhodugune
April 25th, 2014, 02:15 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10569&d=1398453110

Just wanted to help you out with your pic, hope someone has a useful answer for you. :)

mamaherrera
April 25th, 2014, 02:23 PM
thanks, I don't know how to put pics on these threads. Thanks

Madora
April 25th, 2014, 02:43 PM
The hair around the temples and sides (at the hairline) is very delicate and extra care is needed when dealing with them (gentle combing/brushing).

To help encourage growth, you might want to try daily massaging (with your finger pads) in the bent at the waist position.

Nadine <3
April 25th, 2014, 03:16 PM
Yes, mine take AGES to grow. I have to be very careful with them and massaging the as Madora suggested helps me.

mamaherrera
April 25th, 2014, 03:26 PM
but do yours tend to shed short?? Or i mean, not grow much longer like mine?? and it takes like an inch or so inward for them to become long.

lapushka
April 25th, 2014, 03:39 PM
They just don't get past a certain length, it is the way it is. Nothing you can do about it... Same for everyone, so I don't see the big deal, honestly. :)

sourgrl
April 25th, 2014, 03:58 PM
My temple hairs were always short until I started sleeping on a silk pillowcase. Now they're at chin length. Another LHC benefit :)

mamaherrera
April 25th, 2014, 04:03 PM
Thanks, no and I'm glad for you to see it as no big deal. I just wanted to know if others have the same issue. I have been doing the silk pillowcase for over a year, don't think it's made much of a difference.

lapushka
April 25th, 2014, 04:07 PM
Thanks, no and I'm glad for you to see it as no big deal. I just wanted to know if others have the same issue. I have been doing the silk pillowcase for over a year, don't think it's made much of a difference.

Well at least you know it's not breakage - and that's important to know.

mamaherrera
April 25th, 2014, 04:46 PM
yes , it's just that when I pull them down and see how "inward" this short hair thing lasts, it kind of worries me, like my hair on my temples is getting shorter and shorter in its cycles. Has it always been like this, to some extent, I can say "yes", but did I pay attention when I was younger like I do now, no! That's the problem!

darklyndsea
April 25th, 2014, 05:46 PM
The pattern of where that hair is looks very similar to the pattern of where I have sections of fine, short hairs that are thin enough to see scalp through. I've noticed that my dad and brothers don't have any hair in those areas, so I'm thankful that that trait is only partially expressed on me and don't worry about it since it's clearly genetic.

swearnsue
April 25th, 2014, 07:25 PM
My temple hairs are finer and thinner than other hairs, except maybe the lower nape, that is pretty fine and thin too. The temple hairs grow so slow too. For a while I was putting castor oil on that area every few days and it helped them come in a bit thicker and I stopped once they got long enough to put behind my ears and stay out of my face.

mamaherrera
April 25th, 2014, 07:58 PM
so there are definitely others that have this issue!! Thanks for sharing!

woodswanderer
April 25th, 2014, 08:02 PM
No, but I have "sideburns" of this weird angel fluff hair. At least it is pale and delicate enough to be barely noticeable.

browneyedsusan
April 26th, 2014, 05:34 AM
It's normal.
Our body hair transitions to "head" hair gradually: fuzzies on your face, teensy temple hairs, longer temple hairs, head hair.
Some people have more of a transition than others. Indians seem to have a more gradual transition, and more fuzzies.
(On a side note: American Indians don't make whiskers!)

It's normal. Just go with it and enjoy the ride. :)

mamaherrera
April 26th, 2014, 10:52 AM
thanks!! I appreciate that note, it's probably always been like that, but just never paid attention!

HazelBug
April 26th, 2014, 01:17 PM
My problem with the temple hairs is that my stupid glasses catch on them. I've ripped out too much hair from those dumb things. I've got a pretty sizable chunk that got torn short a couple months ago. I try to be careful. But sometimes my glasses just eat my hair.

Dessi
April 26th, 2014, 01:28 PM
My problem with the temple hairs is that my stupid glasses catch on them. I've ripped out too much hair from those dumb things. I've got a pretty sizable chunk that got torn short a couple months ago. I try to be careful. But sometimes my glasses just eat my hair.
I think your hair is too tasty and your glasses just can't take not eating it :D Jk.

A few years ago my temple hairs were short and curly while my whole hair was straight?! And they were really annoying... now when they're longer it's better plus my whole hair is wavy so I kinda like them. I don't think it's a big deal. They may grow, just be patient and don't think about them.

pogo0685
April 26th, 2014, 11:08 PM
I had this problem but mine was caused by me putting my sunglasses up on my head (like a headband) and I always had short short little sideburns. I decided one day that I was tired of forgetting where I left my sunglasses and so I stopped wearing them. Now my sideburns and temple hairs are over a few inches but I don't think I will ever get them to fully grow back in. But it's summer now and I kinda want to start wearing sunglasses again.

veryhairyfairy
April 27th, 2014, 07:34 AM
I have a very similar bunch of temple hairs on either side of my head, and they go back just as far as yours (and pretty much always have).
These hairs are incredibly fine and almost white-blonde on me, so I figure they must be super delicate. I think that in order to grow them long, there might be some real effort required (like massaging the scalp there with oil and taking extra super care when washing to not scrub that area).

I noticed how prominent those hairs were a couple months ago, so I've been taking care to be extra gentle with them, but I might also start massaging that scalp area with oil to encourage more/faster growth. (I've slept in a satin sleep cap for years, so I doubt that night-time friction is the cause of mine)

fairylover46
April 27th, 2014, 08:29 AM
Mine do not grow past a certain length. If I do a style where I want all my hair smoothed back, I just comb those fine short hairs back and lightly hairspray them or spread a tiny bit of vaseline on my fingers and smooth them back. If I want soft wisps framing my face, I just leave them alone, they blend right in. I have even had a few people ask what stylist I went to to get my hair cut that way because they thought it was cut like that for wispiness! I don't even worry about them. I have accepted them as an aspect of how my hair is. Just incorporate yours into whatever style you want to wear that makes you happy and enjoy your hair.

silverthread
April 27th, 2014, 08:36 AM
This happens to me, too. Especially if I'm wearing my hair in a low pony tail. So irritating!

MINAKO
April 27th, 2014, 10:01 AM
Mine do shed on the short side alot in that area, but i've never seen it as a bad thing because i sometimes like a bit of hair around my face with an updo.

Rosa Harris
April 28th, 2014, 02:47 AM
I have these natural bangs/fring in the front of my hair and always have. Just assumed everyone has them. My temple hair stars with tiney black hairs at my eyebrows and get gradually longer as you move back. You can see in my avatar pic.

Allie_snowflake
April 28th, 2014, 07:46 PM
I've got those hairs too. Mine go back about an inch to inch and a half. Very thin too. Right after a wash, they're the most annoying. Like static-charged almost. Before LHC I'd plaster them with hairspray, slick with plastic brush, and plaster again (which probably explains why they're so thin and short) Now I use a dab of conditioner. They're not in an even enough pattern to work as whispies.

ReneeG
April 28th, 2014, 08:05 PM
I have this problem too! They are shorter and never seem to get long and but mine are super frizzy even though the rest of my hair is pretty smooth.... and mine are an entirely different texture than the rest of my hair. I have a pretty loose wave overall in my hair, but the hair around my temples is corkscrew curly! Its ridiculous. Cant do anything with them, because they never quite get long and just sit there and frizz when the rest of my hair isnt. Tried straightening them awhile back but that just damages them and they get even shorten. I did grow them out to chin length once about a year and a half ago,. but then i had a silly hair stylist decide to "frame my face" by making them worse all over again. Been a year and theyre not any longer than after the cut :(

Its definitely genetic for me though, my mother has crazy curly typical Jewish hair over her whole head, but her temple curls actually stick straight out, making them even more noticeable! Glad mine don't stick out as much as that lol. Maybe the massaging with oil will help, I'll have to try that for awhile and see if I notice a difference. You're not alone!

mamaherrera
January 11th, 2015, 10:32 PM
All these replies have been helpful, the only difference is that mine are thick, like the rest of my hair, but yeah, same area, same issue, thanks everyone!

Pseudoavatar
January 12th, 2015, 01:33 AM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=11167&attachmentid=10569http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=11167&attachmentid=10569

Does anyone else have this issue, where there temple hairs take forever going inwards, before they start growing long??? I Have all these "short" terminal length hairs, and it goes pretty far in, before they grow normal length.http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=11167&attachmentid=10569
This is me bringing them forward, to see how far back I have my "wispies"

I think most people have this 'issue'. Mine are curly and very blonde, unlike the rest of my hair, which is kind of irritating because it makes my forehead look huge when I do hairstyles where I pull all the hair back. But with hair spray and careful styling it doesn't look bad, I don't think anyone ever notices anyone else's baby hairs, just their own :)

mamaherrera
January 12th, 2015, 01:37 AM
Yeah it's true, but nice to hear it from others! Thanks

mamaherrera
January 12th, 2015, 01:41 AM
. sometimes, I notice the whole "patch" of temple hairs is longer, other times shorter. Don't know if they all fall out in a big bunch and start over again. Who knows, but I never put them in ponytails because they grow in the opposite direction so it's hard to get them turned that way.

redeyedtreefr0g
February 11th, 2015, 03:43 PM
I have these hairs, and I swear it a recent thing within the last few years. I've always had a few near my temples that didn't want to play nice with the rest, but after my last shorter cut 2 years ago, I've been growing out and I've noticed these hairs just haven't kept up with the rest.

At first I wondered if I'd broken them- I wear ponytails a lot and sometimes pigtails. But I've realized that these hairs are not at my temples. They curl a different way than the rest of my hair- they like to curl to the back of my head and then out and forward- so they stick out awfully. I found this thread during a search before I created one about this. Your picture illustrated exactly where mine are- not at the temples, and not only from the hairline, but almost like male pattern baldness- at the top corners of the forehead.

Mine are long enough that they look like escapees from a ponytail. I hope they get longer.