PDA

View Full Version : How much do you shed?

queenovnight
April 25th, 2014, 05:45 AM
Firstly, do any of you keep track of this and if so..
How many hairs do you guys and gals shed a day?

I'm oddly curious! I did have a shedding count of 100-150 a day. 100 is considered average, but I could see the decrease in thickness. I also had an iron deficiency. When I used Mane 'n Tale, the count when up to more than 200. All of this led me to start keep tracking of my shedding. I don't count daily because sometimes I will leave my hair up for several days, but I check several times a month. It's sounds slightly OCDish. Anywho, after I changed my diet and obviously stopped using that product, I noticed a significant change. Now, I shed about 20-30 hairs. It's been over a year now. - Keeping track is super easy if you wear your hair up all day, and comb at night.

emilia1992
April 25th, 2014, 05:50 AM
Hmmmm, an interesting question! I don't actually count, but I think between 10-20 a day. I'm actually the opposite to you in terms of shampoo - after using Mane n Tail my shedding went down! (At least we'll never fight over the last bottle in a shop, haha). When my hair was shorter it was 50-100; it's really gone down as my length has increased, surprisingly.

Larki
April 25th, 2014, 08:11 AM
Probably between 15-30 strands a day.

AnnaKoschka
April 25th, 2014, 09:08 AM
I'm really sad right now because I'm most definitely shedding a couple hundred strands a day or more...but then I'm going through a hormone-related hair fall, and have done before. Hopefully it doesn't get like last time where I could get a whole handful off my brush and ended up with multiple ziploc baggies full of it by time the shed stopped :\

Wosie
April 25th, 2014, 09:51 AM
It's hard to tell, as my shedding fluctuates depending on how much I scratch my scalp. But I'd say I lose about ~45 hairs each day (around ~80 during a wash day, but I'd say it evens out to ~45 as I lose about ~20 during the days when I don't wash and I wash every other-every third day).

Nadine <3
April 25th, 2014, 10:09 AM
I'd say maybe 5-10...I really don't shed much at all. Sometimes during my entire shower I'll only loose 1-5 hairs. :cool:

Hedera
April 25th, 2014, 11:01 AM
About 80 - 100 a day, on average.

Which sounds like a lot, but it does not lead to a decrease in my circumference.
I do have very fine hair, which means that although each individual strand is extremely thin, there are a LOT of them, which also means that every day a lot of those fall out!

I wonder if people with a similar circumference but with thicker individual strands would shed less hairs a day?

leilani
April 25th, 2014, 11:17 AM
I'm shedding like crazy lately but it's due to postpartum hormonal shift, so all the hair I didn't drop during pregnancy and the first few months are now all at once jumping ship. Broke my vacuum cleaner head because it got so clogged up with hair.
I have never counted but anytime I brush my hair it's a fistfull. This has been going on for maybe two months, and I measured my ponytail circumference for the first time this week and it's well over 4" so I guess it doesn't do anything.

molljo
April 25th, 2014, 11:23 AM
I barely shed at all. 10-15 a day, maybe? It used to be much worse a few years ago, though, so I hope my hair stays this way!

OperaPhantom
April 25th, 2014, 12:04 PM
I shed a lot, probably close to 100 a day, but I have a lot of hair to begin with. I've been shedding less since I started putting my hair in braids at night. Even when I was shedding more, though, my hair was still really thick. My average ponytail circumference was about 4.5 inches, even with shedding a couple handfuls a day. Now that I'm not shedding as much, the average circumference is about 5-5.5 inches! O.O

FallingDarkness
April 25th, 2014, 12:27 PM
I shed about 25 whenever I brush out my hair, and now that my hair is up all the time, I'd say I shed about 50? On wash days I shed a bit more, but I'd say no more than 70 shed hairs a day.
My ponytail circumference does not seem to be decreasing, so that's good. :)

FallingDarkness
April 25th, 2014, 12:28 PM
OH Forgot to mention I comb my hair in the morning when I take out my night braid, and then again in the evening when I take down whatever protective style I chose for the day and put it in a night braid. :P

jeanniet
April 25th, 2014, 01:39 PM
Lots. I'd guess 80ish on average, 100+ in late spring/early summer, sometimes another heavy shed in the fall for a few weeks. This is totally normal for me; I have a lot of hair.

ExpectoPatronum
April 25th, 2014, 02:05 PM
Man I'm jealous of you people who lose ten a day. I lose twice that just in a shower. My hair just doesn't like being attached to my head :/. It makes me sad because my hair used to be much much thicker than it is now.

Unfortunately, I think I get more shedding when I use non SLS cleansing methods. I used head and shoulders last night because my hair needed a good clarifying wash and I had less shedding than normal - and that was with shampooing twice! I'm actually thinking about going back to Herbal Essences when I use up my current bottle of shampoo. If I remember correctly, my hair was very fond of their long term relationship line. Not bad shedding. My hair was shiny. And it smelled good. (And was cheap!). Maybe my hair likes cones and SLS after all...

Anyway, when I wash, I usually lose between 30-50 hairs. I probably lose the same amount when I do a good detangling with my tangle teezer beforehand. I also lose anywhere between 10-30 hairs when finger detangling. Even more comes out when I start to put it up in an updo. And god forbid I mess up the braid and have to gently detangle and do it over :/

Aderyn
April 25th, 2014, 06:50 PM
I don't shed very much. 10-50 a day.

On wash day, I lose maybe 30 in the shower.

I used to get more shedding (50-100) when I first switched to non-SLS shampoos or shampoo bars, but that adjustment period was over within a couple of weeks. Since wearing my hair up and not detangling so much, my shedding has decreased further.

Symphony
April 25th, 2014, 07:02 PM
Shedding is hard for me to keep track of because I only comb my hair (in the shower) maybe twice a week. Other than that, my shedded hair largely stays on my head until then. I might get maybe 10-20 hairs out when I am oiling my hair, but honestly I have never counted how much hair I lose.

ravenheather
April 25th, 2014, 08:28 PM
I shed about 100-150 but when I use neelibringhadi oil every other night and minimize handling hair I shed like 50. But I don't count every day.

Jumper
April 25th, 2014, 08:41 PM
Since I almost never cleaned my brush before LHC, and don't have a shower trap, and no longer brush or comb my hair except MAYBE before showering, and only then if I remember...

All those things together add up to "I have no idea"

I will say I doubt it is very much since its never been noticeable. I've never had loose hairs caught on my hands when I shampoo or anything unless I accidentally pulled them out of my head.

I do know every once in awhile I have to get some liquid plumr or draino and clean the sink and shower drain, and sometimes I find little balls of my hair in the carpet, so I know I shed it, it's just that I don't notice.

Wisteria
April 25th, 2014, 08:54 PM
I shed in the 20s when I comb my hair with a wide-tooth comb. Last brush I lost 40 hairs. I really freaked out, but it was close to wash day. From now on I'll keep a closer watch on this.

Weewah
April 25th, 2014, 09:02 PM
I'm bad at estimating, but I think roughly 30 a day.

Janette17
April 26th, 2014, 01:59 AM
I shed a LOT, 100+ per day. I think how much you shed depends on a number of factors... seasons, hormones, stress, iron levels etc. it's driving me insane just now, there is hair everywhere!

momschicklets
April 26th, 2014, 05:54 AM
I easily shed 50-70 per day but it doesn't really bother me because my hair always seems to be about the same thickness. If I wear my hair up for the day (which I can finally do again!) a lot of hair that's been shedding all day will come out all at once and look sort of alarming, but I guess that's just normal.

ashke50
April 26th, 2014, 06:33 AM
I haven't been counting lately, but a couple of years ago I did keep track for a few months, and I was shedding an average of 60 a day, with most coming out on wash days and fewer in between.
My hair diameter hasn't changed lately, so I'd assume I'm still shedding roughly the same amount. I'm surprised by the people saying they don't shed much even in the shower - when I was measuring I often shed around 100 hairs in the shower, and now I have one of those drain filter things I catch loads of hair there!

Wisé
May 1st, 2014, 05:49 PM
Phew... I really wonder what is wrong with my diet or routine, because I shed like crazy.
around ~100 a day normaly, but up to 200 depending on the circumstances.
Ever counted 400 hairs after wearing it in a protective style for 3 days? Yep, that's me.

And not like most others who have reported high shedding here, I do not have much hair, and my circumference decreased a lot in the last years (you can look at fotos in my album).

It is really frustrating! I want it to grow back, not thin even more...

vindo
May 1st, 2014, 08:56 PM
15-25 when I don't lose hair, but I have lost as much as 150-200 which caused rapid thinning, and 60-90 which does cause slow thinning for me. My sheds have been less bad the past year+ but eventually even shedding 60-90 strands a day "only" will shrink my braid very, very visibly!

100 strands is common, but not ideal. This number is quite old and tests were conducted regardless of a person's health. Most healthy people also tend to shed less. Increased shedding can have many reason but often it is stress, health, product or hormone related.