PDA

View Full Version : How do you see your hair in the future?

catekat
September 15th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Recently, I've been thinking about my longterm goals for my hair. I'm aiming for hip length. What I never thought of was; what will I do with my hair after I reach that goal? Will I keep it that length for decades? Will I experiment with henna/indigo? Might I change the taper? Will I grow it longer?

I've decided that I'm really not sure, although I know I'll keep it long for a very long time. What I do know is that when I'm sixty-five I'll have hair down to my butt with a single pink streak. :cheese: Yeah. I'm weird.

What is your hair going to look like 25+ years from now?

ChloeDharma
September 15th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Well presuming i make it to that age, my hair will be at least hiplength in a braid. I don't ever plan on going actually short. I expect i'll still be hennaing, unless i get that lovely white hair coming in, then i'll want to show it off.

bunnii
September 15th, 2008, 02:53 PM
When i'm old and have a ton of grey i'll strip the black out and use lemon and honey and such to lighten as much as possible maybe have some purple streaks just so people think i'm nusty :D

Brianna
September 15th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Well, my goal is primarily tailbone, though I may try growing to classic, just to see what that is like. :)

I fully expect to have at least waist-length hair for the rest of my life. When I get to tailbone I might end up growing the henndigo out of my hair to get back to my old colour. My hair hasn't been all its original colour since I was about 12 years old, so it would be about time. :o I'm also curious to see if I'll inherit the early greying of my father's side of the family. (My brother's 22 and already 30%+ grey. I've been dying my hair forever and haven't got a clue.) If I do, I'll want to show it off!

When I get old I expect I'll have a really really long grey or silver braid. :)

Islandgrrl
September 15th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Big fat long braid suits me just fine. I don't see myself cutting my hair again.

Beatnik Guy
September 15th, 2008, 03:14 PM
More. :wink:

wintersun99
September 15th, 2008, 03:25 PM
I'm chiming in to vote for a long, silver braid :)

Ohio Sky
September 15th, 2008, 03:30 PM
I have no idea what my hair will look like in 25 years. I hadn't even really thought about the possibility that I may still be alive in 25 years.

But in 2 years? 2 years I can do. My hair will be around classic by then if I don't go crazy and chop it all off. And hopefully by then I will have figured out how to appease the beast so we'll be getting along famously and the diva will reward me by being her true beautiful self.

Ok, wishful thinking.

xrosiex
September 15th, 2008, 03:31 PM
I'm with the big longgg fat braid. I can never see my hair short.:)

Patrycja
September 15th, 2008, 03:37 PM
I see more of it.Lots more. Not gray because I will either henna or chemical dye until the day that I die LOL.I just don't think I can look good gray.Never really could imagine myself with gray/silver hair so I just figured I'll keep on dying it.

I will also have fairy tale ends :D

Finoriel
September 15th, 2008, 03:38 PM
I was going to say:"Probably with glasses." :p but I guess that wasn't the question.

Hm, I hope it will change to a nice white and not get too thin. Thatīs all.

<She>
September 15th, 2008, 03:47 PM
I plan to grow it to about mid-thigh and keep it at that. But in 25 years I'll still have that long braid in either grey-silver or in some fun color like light purple or blue.
(few days ago I saw an old lady with light green, above shoulder hair. She looked great:))

Katurday
September 15th, 2008, 03:49 PM
I just want all natural hair to my tailbone.
Then, once its all natural and purty, I wanna dye it (ONLY ONCE) purple.
And keep it that way for a while.
As for la futura?
Que sera sera.

Arctic_Mama
September 15th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Wow... my ten-fifteen year goal is that my hair will be to a long length I find can do all the styles I want - mainly intricate wraps and braids - and has a thick, full hemline with a gentle curve, not much thinning.

My loooong term goal? I'd love to have beautiful silver hair but I am a hennahead, sadly. We'll see what happens. I'd like to keep it long even then, we'll see. A lovely bun and a great hat? Oooh yeah :)

Bene
September 15th, 2008, 03:50 PM
today, before i washed, i was looking at my hair in the mirror. and i was happy that it looked strong and shiny, and better than it's looked in years. i was like, "this is how my hair will be, but longer."

:)

jojo
September 15th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Oh in 25 years time I hope my hair is silver, silky and classic length.

~GypsyCurls~
September 15th, 2008, 04:08 PM
I plan on keeping mine long for life, I'm not sure exactly how long it will get but the longest I've had it was at about classic length as a child. I currently dye my hair burgundy/red, but when my haiir turns completely white or grey I will keep that color instead. I think it looks regal.

Hatsumomo
September 15th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Well in the near future it'll be shorter while I grow out my natural colour and in 25+ years, it will be at least BSL, probably varying between there and TB and dyed my old natural colour using natural dyes to the best of my ability.

invisiblebabe
September 15th, 2008, 04:21 PM
I have no idea, but I will never ever get one of those scary poodle perms. :P

Euphony
September 15th, 2008, 04:27 PM
My first goal is tail bone, now that I'm nearly there I've been thinking about this. I want to trim, trim, trim the layers out. Once that's done I think I'll keep growing. My natural hair color is a milk chocolate brown that the sun bleaches to gold. With my coloring it looks unnatural, my eyes and eyebrows are too dark for it, so it looks like I bleach it on purpose.

My husband was teasing me that eventually I will have silver hair to my waist, then red hair to my ankles. I don't want to cut the henna off, but once I get more grays in I will quit using henna and I don't mind two-tone hair (I'm actually a fan of it, especially when it's dramatic).

Samikha
September 15th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Have fun with it for a while and then go short. Never had really short hair. Never had hair past BSL either. Unknown territory both ways. So, short for a while, then long again, then who knows?

But when I get old, as in, having more silver than not, it's gonna be long. Loooong. I always wanted to have long silver hair when I got older. Must be a consequence of having a short-haired mother.

GlassEyes
September 15th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Short. I don't plan on having long hair all my life, probably not even for much longer than eight.

Yeah, I'm totally going to take the shears to my hair. And then I'll start washing it in pig and snake oil, and I'll grow a horn on my head and call myself the Sacred Unicorn of Honalee while singing and prancing around to lyra accompaniment with accents from a lute. Yessss, it shall be wonderful.

Long. In a braid. Possibly trimmed to maybe BSL, but I don't see myself with any shorter hair ever. I already plan on buying a wig if I can't work with it.

Tangles
September 15th, 2008, 05:12 PM
I'm really looking forward to being like my 40-something year old aunt, who keeps her hair just a bit past waist. She has a few greys, but for some reason it just emphasizes how relatively young she looks. The only thing is that she doesn't trim often enough. It looks kind of frizzy at the ends sometimes.

Suitsuki
September 15th, 2008, 05:24 PM
I can't wait to have a long, thick white braid when I'm 60/70+!

For the time being I'll just enjoy a red one :D

And once I reach tailbone lenght, I doubt I'll ever go shorter. Probably I'll just jump from there to knee or somewhere in between if I ever want a change.

BlndeInDisguise
September 15th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Hopefully with it at least as long as it is now. I'd really like to get to my goal length, but I'm afraid I'll hit terminal before that. :(

embee
September 15th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Well, I may not be here in 25 years, that's asking a lot! But I plan to keep my hair long until I simply cannot manage it at all any more. Then I want to fold up my tent and disappear, thank you.

But I expect to have a bit more grey or white as I move into Old Age. :)

Jessie Rose
September 15th, 2008, 06:54 PM
My perfect hair image is hair that is long, healthy and thick down to my hips. How that hair will look will depend on which side of the family I take after. My dad is nearly fifty with just the occasional white hair in his beard, while my mom says she was grey by the time she was 30 :p If I go gray, I'll probably dye it to keep it red, if not, then I'll have long dark auburn hair ;)

ssjhotau2
September 15th, 2008, 08:08 PM
I would actually like to keep mine growing. I say my goal is 40 inches (about tailbone on me...I think) But I'd really like to see if grow for the rest of my life.

I wouldn't mind having hair longer than I am tall. As long as I learn to do some of the awesome things people do with their hair on this forum. Eh I'll have a lifetime to learn right :p

ssjhotau2
September 15th, 2008, 08:09 PM
I'd really like to get to my goal length, but I'm afraid I'll hit terminal before that. :(

This confuses me... what does "terminal" mean? As applied in this situation ofcourse. I've seen it elsewhere and I'm somewhat confused

1nuitblanche
September 15th, 2008, 08:14 PM
I really love seeing white hair back in a low bun. So, hopefully I'll have that later--I like having long hair so much more than short hair. Sometimes I think about hennaing in the meantime, but then I'm not sure if I'd have the patience to do it, and then for it to grow out when I got to the age where lighter hair would look more flattering or natural. Thus, it will likely be salt-and-peppery for a while before I get to the glorious luminous locks that I've seen on some of my grandmother's friends.

Elenna
September 16th, 2008, 12:29 AM
I plan on having long hair. I have about 50% silver hiding under a brown canopy, so in about ten years (I guess) it'll be long and mostly silver. :cool:

*BelievingAgain
September 16th, 2008, 12:57 AM
Hmmm... My foremost goal is to get to that age, for starters.

I'm riddled with cancer, cancer cancer worries, as hard as I try to put my mind to rest. My mum passed on last year from ovarian cancer and she was only 47, I was so angry that she had so many chances taken from her. I'm living my life now for both of us, doing all the fun things that she missed out on here. So, 25+ years from now, I'll be just going on 50, and I want to be a lady who doesn't feel she needs to bow to society pressure to 'look young' by cutting all of her hair off. I sometimes wonder how many women are out there, wishing for long hair, but keeping theirs short for fear of not 'fitting in'. It makes me sad. ANYWAY, back to my hair! Lol, sorry I keep drifting off the subject!

I don't think I'll ever have a chance at 'white' hair, my natural hair colour is a dark chestnut brown, but nearly all of my body hair (except my eyebrows, they're not so bad, oddly) is almost black, which is a pain because I have a really pale complexion. My mum was completely grey by the time she was 18 (growing up, she had jet-black hair, pale skin and bright blue eyes.. we think she may have had an Irish background, but aren't sure because she was adopted), but I think a lot of that was due to stress and anxiety. She kept absolutely everything bottled up inside her, to the point where she broke out in rashes all over. So I'm not sure whether that grey will be genetic. I haven't seen any yet, although my natural colour is only just poking through, I've been dyeing quite a long time. I'm a genetic mish-mash, which is fun in some respects, but the body hair- urgh. So yes, I think I'll only ever have dark grey hair, and I hope to continue Hennaing my hair 'till I'm physically incapable of the process. So colour-wise, I'll be a dark burgandy with red streaks (where the lighter grey/white hairs are). Length-wise, I will always hope to be at least waist. I feel as though fingertip will be my goal for this growing 'period' (I'm hoping to reach that goal by my 30th birthday), but after that, who knows? I may go a little longer, or I may go a little shorter, depending on what I feel is easiest to maintain and care for.

I can't believe how much I just typed. I really hope I made a point, sorry! Well done you if you managed to get through all of that and actually found a point! :cheese:
Jess :flower:

ladyshannonanne
September 16th, 2008, 01:39 AM
I'm actually really excited about going gray! I love silvery hair, and although I don't know that my hair will have a "good" gray tone, I think I'll like it no matter what.

I know that I'm not an in between sort of girl. When I'm old, if my hair gets too thin for me to comfortably wear long, I'll probably cut it into a pixie like Dame Judy Dench.

GlennaGirl
September 16th, 2008, 01:47 AM
Very long and hennaed with blunt bangs.

freznow
September 16th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Within 5 years: twice as long, shinier and better to handle (Some washing routine has to work, right? Maybe it'll even be NW again) Maybe slightly tinted from henna glosses

Within 25: Hmm not much different from that. I probably won't go gray until ~45, which is sad, I can't wait for grey hair.

Ohio Sky
September 16th, 2008, 12:45 PM
This confuses me... what does "terminal" mean? As applied in this situation ofcourse. I've seen it elsewhere and I'm somewhat confused

Everyone has a maximum length that no matter what your hair will not grow longer than. For some people it can be pretty short but as I'm sure you've noticed, for some people it can be reeeeaalllly long, too.

mooglewoo
September 16th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Not much different than it is now, haha. Just longer. Can't change my genes! When I am older I would like to have inherited the silver hair gene, but we will see.

harpgal
September 16th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Longer (hopefully knee length) and whiter. :)

RavennaNight
September 16th, 2008, 01:16 PM
In 25 years it will still be long. Dont know if they will come in grey or white, though. White hair was on my dad's side, salt&pepper grey was on my moms. Whatever. It will be long.

Starr
September 16th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Longer, white/silver/grey, and healthier.

I plan on growing until at least classic and going from there.

Gecko
September 16th, 2008, 02:59 PM
I don't want to have short hair ever again. I'd like it to always be around hip length or longer.... But I don't want to think of when I'm 44! I only look forward to a few years from now when my hair is tailbone length and then a few years later when all the dyed hair is gone.

ssjhotau2
September 16th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Everyone has a maximum length that no matter what your hair will not grow longer than. For some people it can be pretty short but as I'm sure you've noticed, for some people it can be reeeeaalllly long, too.

Ah that sucks :( no way to make it grow pass that. Have you ever seen the cartoon Princess and the Goblin? I've always wanted hair like Irene's Great Great Grandmother.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikisource/en/6/60/Princessgoblincptr15.jpg
(pic from book, not cartoon).

Chromis
September 16th, 2008, 09:41 PM
I plan to grow it until it goes terminal or I do

sahiba
September 17th, 2008, 12:14 AM
I see my hair longer with improved shine and smoothness and always bunned... neately that is.;)

akka naeda
September 17th, 2008, 06:33 AM
OK, 25 years it will be pure white at the roots, I don't know how far that will have made it down the length. Possibly I will have trimmed off all the henna to ensure I have nice thick ends.

I may also have a purple streak, but in trying to get purple to stay on my present white streak I discovered it comes off much faster than on bleached hair - needs redoing every 24 hours so I may be too lazy for that.:D

minkstole
September 17th, 2008, 06:46 AM
I want awesome surfergirl hair even though I don&#180;t surf.

eresh
September 17th, 2008, 09:33 AM
I hope I'll be "the lady with the very long silvery braid" (and some cats to go with that) :)

DMARTINEZ
September 17th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Unless mine stops this awful shedding and starts to fill in, I wont be a really long
hair in the future. :(

Deb

heidihug
September 17th, 2008, 09:44 AM
I will probably stop at knee, and keep it there, with a nice curved hem. I'll never stop coloring my roots, my grays are really ugly, so it'll likely be dark to medium auburn. I think it will be fun to be the grandma with the long braid or the pretty bunned hair.

Medvssa
September 17th, 2008, 10:35 AM
I don't see myself with short hair, honestly. I look like crap with short hair.

You never know, but I already have a few whites and I do not want to cover them. So I see myself with natural hair, as long as I can manage with it.

I always like some crazy change in colour, but since permanent things and bleach are out (been there, done that) and my hair is very dark, I don't think I am gonna get much more than a dark temporary red dye, now and then.

Eireann
September 17th, 2008, 11:25 AM
I plan to keep it growing until at least tailbone and then maybe classic, if it still looks good. I'll keep it there for as long as possible, trimming regularly and probably keeping some long layers. When I get too old to pull off my dark hair (I'm a confirmed chemical head), I might cut it back to a stylish pixie a la Judy Dench or Jamie Lee Curtis and either keep it short or start over growing out the grey.

jel
September 17th, 2008, 11:46 AM
That's an interesting question. I'm only a few inches away from my goal, and I envisage staying at tailbone, hennaing and trimming (yes, me trimming! :silly:) for the next couple of years. I would like to turn forty with long red hair.

However, after that I might experiment with short/edgy cuts and radical goth/punk colours with bleach. In my forties! :D I've never really had mad hair, and I think I would like to try it at some point in my life. But, if it happens, it would not be forever as I do love long hair on me.

In my sixties and onward, I imagine myself with long, at least tailbone, or maybe thigh length grey hair. Possibly with some mad streaks too! :D

LadyLongLocks
September 17th, 2008, 05:01 PM
I see it in 20 years being shorter, possibly BSL or waist and multi gray tones.
I have some gray already so I guess I'm on my way as I am way over 40!

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i172/JJJLonghair/late%2007%20and%202008%20hair%20photos/100_4482cpyrtzsygmsPHOTO2-1.jpg

shrimp
September 18th, 2008, 04:00 AM
:shrug: Not a clue.

How little imagination do I have? :lol:

Stevy
September 18th, 2008, 04:12 AM
In the future, I expect to have rainbow-coloured hair which defies gravity. I've seen the old science fiction programmes, I know what to expect. :)

Seriously, I seem to have very much the same kind of hair as my maternal grandmother, and hers was mostly black with a broad streak of grey across the top right-hand side of her head and sprinklings of grey elsewhere, so I'm expecting that kind of greying pattern and plan to go with it - I stopped dyeing my hair when I found the first grey, as I really don't want to end up with a tideline of black on grey going down the back of my head. The tideline of black on brown is a bit more manageable. :)

Barring accidents and acts of God, I plan on keeping it long. I told a friend the other day that I planned on being an old lady with a long grey braid and she made a face - I guess at least she was polite enough not to say anything, but I hope attitudes to older people with long hair become a bit more open in the future!

Melisande
September 18th, 2008, 04:53 AM
I want to continue to use natural plant dyes to keep the reddish-brown look, the benefits in strength, shine and volume are too tempting. Besides, my gray is of the dirty, opaque kind, not the silvery kind. Maybe that will change one day, and then I'll grow out the gray, but not now. (It's not that much gray, anyway).

I never had really short hair and I don't think I will have the wish to cut my hair. I will let it grow to terminal, I guess, just to see where that is, and then cut it back to the length that looks best on me - always hoping that my terminal length will be longer than classic or tailbone.

My hair is so much a part of me that I can't imagine myself short haired.

I do wish to learn more updos and hope that my hair won't go any thinner over time.

carolineb
September 18th, 2008, 05:34 AM
well, i would like to have my hair as long as possible really, and i will keep it natural, that means if it becomes grey, i will leave it the way it is...

Amoretti
September 18th, 2008, 06:32 AM
I don't think I'll be completely white haired, judging from both my parents' hair at that age, so I'll just have a salt and pepper look going on, probably with a dramatic white streak in the front (like my mom).

I think I was born to be a long hair so I'll never cut it short. BSL is the shortest I'd go.

lora410
September 18th, 2008, 06:39 AM
For now my goal is waist, then hip, and maybe even tailbone. I plan to keep in long considering all my life I have wanted nice long hair. When I start getting grays I will let it grow out. My mom went gray in her early 20's ,but my dad even at age 52 when he passed away still had barely any grays. I take after my dad so I don't expect them anytime soon. other then that just keep it long FOREVER :)

Reptilia
September 18th, 2008, 07:21 AM
Long term, I'd like to grow out the chemically dyed hair completely and just lighten it with honey. I'd like the length to be waist to hip length.

aprilmay
September 18th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Long with gradually increasing strands of gray.

greekprincess
September 18th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Wow...25 years from now...well...I am going for terminal..so I am hoping within 25 years I will be there. But I would take tailbone length for sure.

WritingPrincess
September 18th, 2008, 01:03 PM
25 years from now I will be 38. My hair will be at least knee length, but it may be floor length or even longer. It depends on how much taper and length I'm willing to deal with. I did a terminal length estimate recently and I got a number around 6'. My adult height will be around 5' 10", so I can probably reach floor length. :D I would like to have dark purple ends, but other than that, no dye. I don't know whether I'll want to cover up any grays or not, but I do know that when I get old I want pure white hair.

Oh, and I'll still be a member of TLHC, maybe the only member who grew up here. :D