PDA

View Full Version : How do I do moisture?

lectraplayer
April 24th, 2014, 09:26 PM
I have curly hair that seems dry and frizzy most of the time. Aside from randomly just CO washing then soaking my dripping wet hair in oil, how can I diagnose what my hair actually needs? I am trying to eliminate silicones right now. I have found a couple that are quoted as being harsh. The oil seems to tame frizz but leaves me with a few flyers. What can I learn from this?

adler
April 24th, 2014, 10:51 PM
once I started doing hot oil and coconut milk soaks mine became much better

FallingDarkness
April 24th, 2014, 11:11 PM
Post your hair care routine and I might be able to better offer you advice.
How often do you wash your hair is the main question.. :)

molljo
April 24th, 2014, 11:13 PM
Have you clarified? You may have coney buildup that's preventing moisture from penetrating the hair shaft.

YvetteVarie
April 24th, 2014, 11:44 PM
once I started doing hot oil and coconut milk soaks mine became much better

I agree. When I did a hot oil treatment this weekend, I had great curl definition, which I had never seen on my hair.

ErinLeigh
April 25th, 2014, 01:52 AM
Start with a good clarify and a deep condition. It really helps.
Then any time you can condition hair well and seal with oils (or whatver your preference is) while hair is damp.
That helps me get some good moisture retention.

lectraplayer
April 25th, 2014, 12:11 PM
For the most part, I CO wash with M&T conditioner daily. Sometimes I'll wet detangle for a couple days when I feel I have enough moisture, but if I don't at least brush wet, I wind up with a rodent's nest. I used to use Fructis until I finally found how to recognize silicones a week ago. Now Fructis stays in the cabinet and I oil with a dewaxed bacon oil until I find something better. I clarified a week ago when I started changing my routine. Will probably do so again this evening, then only as needed.

FallingDarkness
April 25th, 2014, 12:22 PM
Try using grapeseed oil as a leave in, it's a great moisture sealer.
I also like to CO with Aussie's 3 Minute Miracle Deep Conditioner.
If clarifying isn't helping, then it's probably not what your hair needs.

FallingDarkness
April 25th, 2014, 12:25 PM
Also try to stretch your washes!!! Natural oils are really beneficial for your hair. If your hair is greasy/stringy/strange at first, just put it in an updo or something to hide how disgusting it looks. Eventually your oil glands will adjust and stop producing so much extra oil and then you can stretch your washes even more. :)

molljo
April 25th, 2014, 12:32 PM
Mane n Tail is garbage, in my opinion. It works for some people, but in my experience, it's not very good at moisturizing and has basically no slip, so it causes more tangling issues than it solves.

Rosa Harris
April 28th, 2014, 03:14 AM
Moisture can come from two sources
1) water oil sealed into the hair
2)penetrating oils

To seal water into the hair oil the hair while it is still damp but not soaking wet. Pretty much any oil, penetrating or non penetrating will do the job of producing the sealing coat on the outside of the hair.

To oil moisturize use a penetrating oil like cold pressed extra virgin olive oil (yes right out of the grocery store) or pure coconut oil (make sure it is pure or you can end with nastiness - personal experience). You want liquid not butter. Oil up your dry hair really good and then wrap it in a plastic bag, shower cap or cling wrap and then you can warm a soaking wet face towel and put it on top - needs to be hot but not enough to burn. Cover with a towel wrapped around your head and wait at least 30 minutes and then wash. After your washing ritual, seal again with oil to keep in moisture. Thats what works for me.