PDA

View Full Version : How hair is a personality thing!

Eirinn
September 15th, 2008, 02:30 PM
I always knew that how we like and wear our hair and what we wished it to be depends on our personality. But recently I descovered that it can be the opposite too! I mean: I always admired the look of straight, long, even, glossy and possibly dark or red hair - loose, of course, as I've mentioned in my other thread. In my imaginary I was chased by the 'black glass effect'. But what I got from growing was quite ratty, easily drying out, thinning on the ends hair instead. Oh, and all the time in elaborated styles it which I didn't like myself. It didn't have anything to do with glass. I was just a different person when I looked in the mirror and I felt different, too. That was just not me.

So I trimmed it quite a bit, decided not to grow any longer (in both meanings) and wear it down mostly whatever it takes. Now I'm happy and it seems to be happy too - much happier. I don't know why - according to all gloomy predictions it shouldn't already even be there:D

Now, I wanted to ask you all how does your personality affects your hair and how does your hair affects your personality:drama:

MsBubbles
September 15th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Interesting question...

My personality affects my hair in that my stubbornness is helping me finally achieve the long hair I have craved my whole life but never had.

My hair affects my personality in that I *like* my looks again!! That hasn't happened in about 6 years since I started getting wrinkly and sad-looking, even when I'm happy. I like getting out of bed every morning just because I can feel my hair around my shoulders. This makes me happy to be me. It might sound utterly stupid but it's the truth and I feel safe admitting that here :o. It might be a precarious, slipperly slope based on looks alone, but I'm enjoying it for now, and ever conscious that it could all fall out for any reason at any time!

Katurday
September 15th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Well, my hair does not reflect me yet (work in progress) but my dream hair is long, with all the characteristics of like flowy natural hair...Except in a deep purple.
Its just how I roll.
(Ironically, with my yellow skintone, purple looks natural and suits me the best. Go figure.)

Suitsuki
September 15th, 2008, 04:54 PM
I always wore my hair long. I had a short cut for a year or two as a kid, and hated it (I always hated getting haircuts in general). I can't imagine having it short again, it's just not me.

My real hair reflects my mind's, except for the lenght (dream hair is of course longer :D). I love my color (naturally red), so all I need is to keep it healthy. I guess I'm lucky about this.

However, my personality definitely affects it. I'm introverted, and quite private, so I rarely want to draw attention on me. When my hair is up, I feel in a "rational" state of mind, I treat people with distance, probably just for self defence. It's not something I force on myself or my hair, it's just how it works for me, and feels natural, spontaneous. Do I hide behind my updos? :D
When it's down, I feel the opposite. I'm being my "real" self, or maybe just honest (and it's not always convenient). When I wear it down with my friends, it's a sort of "I'm comfortable with you" message. I love to communicate with my whole body and not just my voice, so I guess that's how my hair affects my personality.

Maybe I'm putting too much thought in it, I know it's just hair, but it feels right this way. It makes me happy when people notice these small things I do irl ^_^

embee
September 15th, 2008, 06:39 PM
I've always wanted long hair, because of my picture and story books when I was a little child. And having hair I can completely care for myself (no salon visits, etc) makes me feel independent and self sufficient, which I can always use more of. ;)

I spent many of my younger years feeling that my hair was ugly, needed a trim, was always oily and stringy looking. I didn't have the money or skill to keep it looking nice. It is a great satisfaction to me that no matter what day, how poorly I slept, how much my hair needs washing, I can still make it look neat, tidy, put-together.

Ahhh, success at last! :)

melikai
September 15th, 2008, 06:46 PM
My hair affects my personality in that I *like* my looks again!! That hasn't happened in about 6 years since I started getting wrinkly and sad-looking, even when I'm happy. I like getting out of bed every morning just because I can feel my hair around my shoulders. This makes me happy to be me. It might sound utterly stupid but it's the truth and I feel safe admitting that here :o. It might be a precarious, slipperly slope based on looks alone, but I'm enjoying it for now, and ever conscious that it could all fall out for any reason at any time!

I completely agree and feel much the same way lately. Although I'm just starting to age and still look relatively young, I'm not happy about aging, and my hair's improving health and length are giving me increasing confidence to sort of rebalance against the confidence decrease from aging. My hair makes me happy.

I also think that my hair reflects who I am increasingly so. It's a measure of my growth and of the changes of the past year and a half. Very literally, growing back in my natural colour has corresponded with "getting back to my roots" in multiple ways in my life!

RavennaNight
September 15th, 2008, 08:46 PM
I think I reflect aspects of myself in my hair. I hennindigo my blonde hair black. While I dont consider myself an overly "dark" person, some aspects of my personal style are reflective of the goth/metalhead subculture that I grew up in. So color is one thing.

The second thing for me is the difference between hair up and hair down. I wear it up to work most of the time, and I feel stern, strict, and serious. (I guess thats okay, I'm a boss) When my hair is down, I feel happy, alive, confident, and free.

intothemist1999
September 15th, 2008, 10:05 PM
I'm not sure how my long hair makes me feel - can't say it makes me "feel" one way or another.

I definitely don't feel weaker with long hair, or like a push-over, but when I had my hair cut very short to get all the green bits out (that's another story lol), I felt...I dunno... a bit...I think "punchy" is the word. Kind of tough. I really hesitate to use the term "masculine". I think it made me feel like a go-getter, which I'm not, I'm too laid back for that :) and I don't know that I WAS actually more of a go-getter, or just felt that way.

Iphinoe
September 15th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Long hair makes me feel exotic. It's something not many people have and it's a subtle way to assert my individuality without burning any bridges. When I go to work, it's always up in a bun with one of my hairsticks; I get to wear my art, look professional and classy, but unique.

Also, I like that my DH is one of the few people who gets to see it down. I am very friendly and open with people, but I cannot stand them touching my hair, so I always wear it up when we are 'out'. My hair is something private for my home life where I am 'safe'.

When my head was shaved, I felt butch, liberated, empowered, and fierce. When it was dyed outrageous colours, I felt fearless and very "like it or lump it, this is who I am". Now my individuality is more stealthy. You'd never know I was a 'long hair' if you saw me in public and didn't know just how much hair can be hidden in a cinnabun.

Alun
September 15th, 2008, 11:21 PM
When we have had threads with personality tests, nearly everyone here has come out as an introvert, although we vary all over the map on other aspects of personality. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. However, it is possible to run into people who that being an introvert is some kind of defect, that it can be 'fixed', and especially that it can be fixed by cutting our hair off shudder:, none of which I agree with in the slightest.

Pug
September 15th, 2008, 11:23 PM
I like long hair, and have for a very long time. Sometimes the care and maintaince is a pain but I cant imagine having short hair right now. Plus long hair is a lot of fun when Im jamming my bass guitar. Im all like :cheese:

:D

Elenna
September 16th, 2008, 12:12 AM
I was originally a long hair and I'm glad to be growing it out again.

Long hair makes me feel feminine, prettier and more alive. It feels like me.

EdG
September 16th, 2008, 12:17 AM
When we have had threads with personality tests, nearly everyone here has come out as an introvert, although we vary all over the map on other aspects of personality. I'm definitely the quiet, introverted type. So, having hair that positively screams is the perfect complement to my personality. I often make quite an impression without ever speaking a word. :D
Ed

intothemist1999
September 16th, 2008, 12:43 AM
I like long hair, and have for a very long time. Sometimes the care and maintaince is a pain but I cant imagine having short hair right now.

Never read posts when you're half asleep!! :D I saw "car maintenance" and "short hair" and figured you're a frustrated long hair who has to keep it short for your line of work!! LOL Good grief....

Have you check out the Musicians section of the Social Groups here?

carolineb
September 16th, 2008, 03:41 AM
I feel very much like Iphinoe. I put my hair up every day, apart from my family, hardly anyone has seen my hair down and i like it this way. I almost feel naked when my hair is down. For me, wearing it down really is something intimate.
It does affect me. I remember once, (i am a teacher and my pupils are really curious about this hair i have and those sticks i wear -i wonder if they had ever seen that before...) as i was talking to one girl, i had to bend as she was very small, well... i was showing my back to another girl who decided she would touch my stick and it fell, so my hair kind of went down, and everyone was looking at me. I felt so upset and somehow ashamed, i think i blushed so much! I did not say anything, put my hair in some kind of bun in less than 10 seconds and carried on as normal... but really, it came as a shock. It's funny, i mean, it is just hair.
I think there are some here who cover their head, is there any link between your personality and the fact that you cover your hair?

Kaeri
September 16th, 2008, 04:22 AM
Hmm... I have long hair (tho not in as good a condition as I'd like) because I'm stubborn and don't conform to fashion things around me. I'm also stupidly practical and never understood spending hours sorting hair/makeup etc on a morning (I went thru school/college etc pretty much makeupless and with my hair in a ponytail/practical braid cos it was out of the way.)

I used to do sports and swim a lot then became a pool lifeguard which involved lots of training time in the water so just kept my hair back (whats the point of doing anything pretty with it when its going to be shaken loose/wet shortly after) Now I have an office job and dont swim as often etc and actually have a bit more time for my hair. Conveniently enough my hair decided to start growing past BSL when I stopped living in chlorine swimming pools - and no I didnt wear swimming caps then.

Thankfully my stubborness meant that now I've found TLHC I just have to learn how to look after it rather than stressing about growing it too.

I like going out and having my hair down and the looks I get from people when they see my hair not braided back for the first time, It sounds vain but its true, Its almost a shock factor for a lot of the people I meet - (they'd probably have a fit if they saw the length of some of your hair on here :) ) I also dance about with hair flying everywhere to rock/metal music - not the best treatment of it but its me and my hair puts up with me for it. When I'm out with my hair down I'm feeling a bit more showy and more confident (not sure which is cause and effect there). I've just started doing updo's and its strange not feeling my braid protectively down my back, I'm used to being able to put my hand behind my back and feel it there. Yes I'm quite touchy feely about hair. I think I treat my hair like a security blanket, People notice the length of it and dont pay much attention to the rest of me. I'm a bit lost with it bunned back to be honest.

Whew... that last bit left me feeling a bit open and almost naked. I'm used to being tomboyish and not admitting I like things, especially not that I like hairs Wow factor. Enough of that for now I think.

Lady Verity
September 16th, 2008, 05:08 AM
For me, I've always had long hair (apart from the odd spell in childhood where my parents got fed up with brushing it and chopped it off into a bob). Consciously growing it out, though, is something a bit new.

I'm a postgraduate Literature student, and my area of expertise is the lovely chap in my signature - Rossetti. I'm madly in love with him. Long hair was a massive, massive trope in his work. When I first discovered him, I was a teenager with serious body issues, and it was a huge jolt of confidence to discover that 150 years ago, a funny-looking tall, spindly, pallid, sickly blonde thing like me would have been highly prized by this astonishing genius. So I just went with it! And it's done my self-esteem volumes of good.

It's kind of exotic, isn't it, to have long hair in the modern Western world? It marks you out as something a bit different, culturally. It does for me, anyway.

Jean_Grey
September 16th, 2008, 08:53 AM
I definitely don't feel like "me" when my hair is short. I see pictures of me with hair at my shoulders and do not recognize myself. My hair makes me feel beautiful, even when I'm self-conscious about everything else. I relate to the tale of Samson -- a very piece of his essence was cut off when Delilah did her hairstyling.

LibbyO
September 16th, 2008, 09:07 AM
I worry that my hair will have me stereotyped as a hippy/geek, but I love how feminine it looks when it is long and it reminds me of historical fashions, vintage hair if you will. I'm not particularly introverted, but nor am I a crazy socialite. I wear my hair up a lot of the time, as I know I look older with it up and people are less likely to judge me when they first meet me. I do love taking it down in front of people who have got to know me with it tied up and watching their faces as all this hair comes out!

Neysa
September 16th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Strangely, when my hair is up, though I look like a teacher (suitably so!), it's more in the nature of keeping the wind from ruining it whilst teaching and minimizing sun bleach on the top of my head. It's utilitarian, but also something in the nature of posturing. I do feel sexy with my hair up, because it is a lovely shade, and nicely waved.

When it's down, although I love to play with it, and I feel like it gives me a "wake" where I can "make my own wind" for a flowy beauty, it gives me a raging headache. However, when I encourage it to curl after washing, I feel very sexy, and family and fiance will often stroke my hair.

WaimeaWahine
September 16th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Just read something the other day about style and personality. Like having a bun means you must have control issues. :p What about summer and how it's too hot to leave it down?

I'm a shy loner but can be very extroverted and hyper. When seeing women with looong hair it makes me think they have patience and strength. :)

Adrienne
January 3rd, 2009, 03:06 PM
My hair and my personality...humm........ I guess I sorta embody all the sterotypes about African American people with natural hair. Free Spirted. Hippie. all that stuff. lol. I love my personality and I love my big curly fro. Hopeing it gets even bigger!!!!!!!

Speckla
January 3rd, 2009, 03:10 PM
I'm more introverted when my hair is short.
Growing my hair out has changed my overall physical appearance and helped me to accept myself inside and out.
________
Cbr125r (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Honda_CBR125R)

Drynwhyl
January 3rd, 2009, 03:28 PM
I feel free, wild, but somehow protected behind my fiery tresses.
Someone mentioned that it's something only a smaller number of people can achieve, so I kind of feel unique, nobody has the same hairstyle as me (who I know of)
Plus, I guess subconsiously I'm just vain and like the attention, even though I sometimes use it to hide from the world. Making sense?

bex487
January 3rd, 2009, 05:10 PM
I think my personality definitely dictates my hairstyles. I wouldn't say I'm impulsive, but when I make a decision my mind is made up (and I must act on that decision right away). That's why for my whole life I've grown my hair out only to chop it short all of a sudden.

My hairstyles do reflect how I envision myself: I think I'm feminine, trendy (not overly so), put together, and adventurous/outgoing. I enjoy trying new looks and it's hard for me to stick with one style.

Right now my hair is in a long pixie cut, and I really miss the girliness of longer hair, so I'm trying to patiently wait for my hair to grow.

MusingFrog
January 3rd, 2009, 05:50 PM
My personality dictates that the majority of my hairstyles are simple and relatively maintenance free. I spend next to no time on my appearance so having long hair is an extension of that. However, having long hair has made it more difficult for me to dress in what might be considered a more feminine manner. Generally, when my hair is down, I make sure I'm wearing jeans, sneakers, and some kind of neutral style shirt. I don't feel I'll be taken seriously if I dress up or attempt to look too nice while having my hair down.

Alaskanheart
January 3rd, 2009, 06:48 PM
When we have had threads with personality tests, nearly everyone here has come out as an introvert, although we vary all over the map on other aspects of personality. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. However, it is possible to run into people who that being an introvert is some kind of defect, that it can be 'fixed', and especially that it can be fixed by cutting our hair off shudder:, none of which I agree with in the slightest.

Thanks for that comment Alun.I think its ridiculous how people seem to look at an introverted personality to be a negative one.I have found that people who lean towards the introverted side have alot of great qualities.We are creative, free thinking imdividuals who have done alot of good in the world and have also been very successful.A few famous introverts to mention are: Abraham Lincoln, Thomas Edison , Clint Eastwood, Barbara Walters, Steve Martin, Julia Roberts, Christina Aguliera.

Its not a defect, so it is insane how we always try to "cure" like you said, with a haircut or a makeover.:confused:

"Introspection leads to expression, not the other way around."

Growing my hair has affected my personality in the way that, I accept myself, Im not constantly trying to change so that I can look the way the world expects me to.Im not faking anything, not color , or texture, and Im not trying to keep up with trends.Its very liberating.I look good, but on my own terms.

Accepting my natural hair, has also spread to other facets of my life.I am more secure with who I am overall, and that has allowed me to try new things and have more confidence that I can succeed in whatever I try.

Its not so much having long hair that has been so positive in my life.Its practicing patience, self control, changing unhealthy habits, and seeing my hard work payoff.

I

Kirin
January 3rd, 2009, 07:00 PM
I am a gregarious extrovert.......... someone calling me shy or retiring would be way off base LOL. I love long hair, long luscious sensual sexy hair.

Though I tried the natural route, I dont know my sleek city biker attitude hair wasn't having it. Now back on a more modern regeime of hair care......... its like joyous LOL. Good for it, and for me!

Euphony
January 3rd, 2009, 07:23 PM
Well I'm pretty extroverted to a degree. I've always had what the regular population considers long hair (bsl), but I always felt it was short. I always wanted long, beautiful hair, but figured I couldn't get it with my 'wild' hair. I didn't know how to take care of wavy hair so by the time it was bsl it was dry and poofy and everywhere. Eventually after fighting with it for a while it'd get chopped back to shoulder, the beginning of 'long' in the regular population.

Now my hair is the longest it's ever been. I wear it up during my work week. Because of that I decided i needed more so I've actually started wearing makeup (haven't done that on a regular basis in 15 years), I've also started wearing long earrings. The makeup and the earrings make me feel better and more confident. When my hair is down however I am quite confident. I like to show off my hair, my hair is in terrific condition, it's soft, shiny and silky.

I've been trying to stand up straight and tall, head high. This has been giving me more confidence as well because I've noticed when I do that people treat me differently. I did a month long craft show (3 day weekends only) during December. One of the other vendors that was across from us came by our booth one day and sniffed everything and started getting really chatty with me. She's probably my age, very sweet and cute as a bug. She told me that she thought I could be a model. I was really taken aback by that comment. She said that my hair is so pretty, my way of dress is very unusual but attractive and the way I hold myself makes her think this. I'm 100 pounds overweight, she's a tiny person - this whole conversation and realizing the way she saw me really surprised me. This gave me a bit more confidence.

Oberon88
January 3rd, 2009, 07:36 PM
When my hair was shorter, around shoulder length, I always had problems with it. It was frizzy and wild and I was never happy with it, and consequentially I was never completely happy with the way I looked. I never thought I would be able to grow long healthy hair, and thought it would continue to be unruly as it got longer.

Though it started out as a way to improve the way I look, it became more than that.
It has taught me about strength that I did not know I had. A lot has happened since I decided to grow my hair out almost three years ago and all of those things, both good and bad, are catalogued in the length of my hair. When people tell me its ‘getting too long’ I think of everything within it, and I know I can make it through anything.

Having long hair has also changed my bearing. I used to hide behind my shorter haircuts, and was a notorious sloucher due to my discomfort with my height. Having long hair has made me walk with my head up and my shoulders back. I am proud of who I am, and proud of my hair.

Speckla
January 3rd, 2009, 07:41 PM
I'm a medium-vert. :)
________
Chevrolet Corvette C1 Specifications (http://www.chevy-wiki.com/wiki/Chevrolet_Corvette_C1)

girlcat36
January 3rd, 2009, 07:46 PM
My hair makes me very self concious. It has always been difficult hair; messy and frizzy. I didn't know anyone who had hair like mine, and my friends always felt bad for me(due to my poor hair).
I have often thought my life would have been different if my hair would have behaved better(or if there had been an LHC in 1990).
It may sound crazy, but I think a lot of my self esteem problems stem from my problem hair.

Speckla
January 3rd, 2009, 07:49 PM
My hair makes me very self concious. It has always been difficult hair; messy and frizzy. I didn't know anyone who had hair like mine, and my friends always felt bad for me(due to my poorhair).
I have often thought my life would have been different if my hair would have behaved better(or if there had been an LHC in 1990).
It may sound crazy, but I think a lot of my self esteem problems stem from my problem hair.

Nah, dearie, it doesn't sound crazy. A lot of curlies feel bad because we think we have bad hair. It's just lack of knowledge of what products to use or how to get our curls to curl to their fullest potential. Teenage years and early to even mid twenties are hard when image is so important. It's hard to separate self-worth from appearance.
________
Mercedes-benz c112 history (http://www.mercedes-wiki.com/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_C112)

girlcat36
January 3rd, 2009, 07:53 PM
I'm really looking forward to feeling better about my hair(and consequently, myself) as it sorts itelf out. Now that I have the 'knowledge'!
I know you know how I feel, Speckla---our hair is very similar!

zen_oven
January 3rd, 2009, 08:04 PM
I'm not sure about how my hair and my personality go together, but my attitude toward my appearance has a lot to do with it. I had pretty short hair in a funky cut for quite a while. Back then I was a bit overweight and not at my healthiest. I was feeling pretty androgynous at the time--not at all a bad thing, but it was how I dealt with not feeling happy with the way I looked and felt. Back then I hated my hair and felt like I had to keep it short to be able to deal with it. I just couldn't be bothered to do much with it in those days. Ever since I got my metabolic problem under control and lost about 35 pounds I've been taking much more care with my health and appearance. Around April of last year I decided I would feel more feminine if I grew my hair out.

Finding LHC changed my attitude toward my hair. I've learned to appreciate my crazy tumble of hair and embrace my waves. It has been so liberating to go from daily S&C to doing CWC only twice a week. I used to think I HAD to wash every day to keep it decent, so imagine my surprise when I found out that my hair likes benign neglect. The oiling techniques I've learned have made a huge difference.

I think learning to treat my hair like it is a gift has changed everything. I LOVE my hair now.

Themyst
January 3rd, 2009, 08:10 PM
I'm very introverted. It's funny because when reading all the posts here, it seems most introverts like wearing their hair up for confidence, but took it down for freedom.

I am the opposite - I like to wear it down when I go out because it's easy to feel hidden underneath it all. When I wear my hair up, I feel very naked, like all of me is put out there for everyone to see - even the back of my neck.

To make matters worse, since my hair is getting so long, I seem to be causing a spectacle everywhere I go.:shake: Must be the area I live in, because I never really thought it was THAT long.

Speckla
January 3rd, 2009, 08:29 PM
I'm really looking forward to feeling better about my hair(and consequently, myself) as it sorts itelf out. Now that I have the 'knowledge'!
I know you know how I feel, Speckla---our hair is very similar!

I think I'll feel more secure when it solidly sits at BSL when curly. I just need to learn to like each stage - thin, thick, long, short or whatever it may be.

Your hair is gorgeous.
________
STARCRAFT 2 REPLAY (http://screplays.com/)

Nes
January 3rd, 2009, 08:29 PM
No-one except DH knows this, but i've struggled with body dysmorphic disorder, eating disorders and depression for many years. It makes me feel ugly, lumpish and severely unfeminine.

Having long hair is part of the reason I have been able to start to overcome it. It makes me feel that at least one part of me is feminine and pretty.

It's not really about the way it looks, as much as the way it feels. I always wear it down in public, and feeling it sweep around as I walk is comforting and makes me feel happier.

My long(ish) hair has helped me get to a place where I can sometimes face the world again, so it has had a profound impact on my personality.

Nes x

girlcat36
January 3rd, 2009, 08:30 PM
Your hair is gorgeous.

Thanks, Speckla...feeling better already!

Speckla
January 3rd, 2009, 08:36 PM
Thanks, Speckla...feeling better already!

Good. I'd say it 1000 times if my fingers wouldn't fall off. :cheese:
________
Chevrolet Avalanche (http://www.chevy-wiki.com/wiki/Chevrolet_Avalanche)

Curlsgirl
January 3rd, 2009, 08:50 PM
My hair makes me very self concious. It has always been difficult hair; messy and frizzy. I didn't know anyone who had hair like mine, and my friends always felt bad for me(due to my poor hair).

Nah, dearie, it doesn't sound crazy. A lot of curlies feel bad because we think we have bad hair. It's just lack of knowledge of what products to use or how to get our curls to curl to their fullest potential. Teenage years and early to even mid twenties are hard when image is so important. It's hard to separate self-worth from appearance.

I think I'll feel more secure when it solidly sits at BSL when curly. I just need to learn to like each stage - thin, thick, long, short or whatever it may be.

I know just how you both feel! It is so nice to know there are others out there! I never knew before. I guess I thought I had the only problem hair ANYWHERE! ;) And yes it did make a difference when I got to BSL curly.. a LOT of difference! It just behaves so much better more consistently.

I have grown to LOVE my curls and weird hair more all the time. Yes I still hate it too sometimes but way less than I used to for sure! I love coming here and talking about it and having other people to talk to that understand! :love:

Speckla
January 3rd, 2009, 08:58 PM
How do you multi quote?

I get nervous when I wash and see so many hairs. I know it's not excessive and I do shed more than most people. My hair is getting thicker and I can't see nearly as much scalp as I used to.

It's scary when you lose hair due to health reasons and there's always a small fear in the back of your head that your hair will grow out and then you may lose it again. :(

I'm learning to accept life and not base it on what my hair is doing.
________
Iolite portable vaporizer (http://vaporizers.net/iolite-vaporizer)