PDA

View Full Version : Dandruff.

EvilPigeon
March 19th, 2008, 04:17 PM
I was wondering how to get rid of the itchy,oily scalp type of dandruff.

swetha
March 19th, 2008, 04:37 PM
My routine consists of a lot of Indian herbs. What I usually do treat itchy scalp is to soak some fenugreek powder overnight in water. Apply the paste to the scalp next day for about an hour and just rinse it off. Fenugreek powder is available in Indian stores. It is called Methi powder.

HTH,
Swetha.

EvilPigeon
March 19th, 2008, 04:49 PM
My routine consists of a lot of Indian herbs. What I usually do treat itchy scalp is to soak some fenugreek powder overnight in water. Apply the paste to the scalp next day for about an hour and just rinse it off. Fenugreek powder is available in Indian stores. It is called Methi powder.

HTH,
Swetha.

Ooo thanks! I am a huge fan of Indian culture,food,music and medicine,so I frequent the local Indian stores. :D

CaityBear
March 19th, 2008, 08:33 PM
I'm going to have to check up on this thread when there are more answers.

My family is all pretty bad for dandruff I guess you could say. I used to be really bad, but my scalp got better, but now it's getting pretty bad again. :(

snow
April 1st, 2008, 12:59 PM
Someone told me that the mouth water listerine and water mixed toghetor ,and massage in to scalp and then rinse,,helps against dandruff,,

Tsevoth
April 1st, 2008, 01:16 PM
Herbs like rosemary, lavender, sage,.... are known to work against dandruff, maybe you can rinse your hair with that?

effe
April 3rd, 2008, 11:31 AM
Henna helps a great deal in combating dandruff. I had few itchies because of dandruff here and there before I started to henna my hair. Henna got rid of those itchies and dandruff.
But the thing is you have to keep up with the henna or else it returns. I didn't henna my hair for more than 2-3 months and my itchies slowly started to creep in:confused:. Once I hennaed it went off.:cheese:

Shirlpunzel
April 3rd, 2008, 12:07 PM
tea tree oil (either by itself, or mixed in with another product) is supposed to be helpful. I originally bought it for other purposes. Someone on the old monistat thread - don't remember who, sorry - mentioned it having a similar effect on the scalp, as its a natural fungicide as well, so wanted to see if it might increase growth the same way. The bottle - as well as most tea tree oil info I've found since - talks about it being good for dandruff. I've not been using it long enough/steadily enough to give any conclusive answers about growth(although so far it seems good :) ) but it does seem to keep dandruff away. Helps with the itchy feeling too, as well as the visible dandruff. Actually, I had been w/o th tea tree oil for a month or two(looking back, my hair seemed happier overall with it) and started noticing dandruff coming back recently. In fact, I just put some on my scalp a few moments before finding this thread:cool:. No real reason I stopped, just went through a while of doing the bare minimum to maintain my hair (busy), and gradually got out of the habit, and I guess I just forgot.

I vary how I use mine. Today I used the "strongest" method: A few drops(my bottle came with a dropper type top) under each nail, scritch it in, then repeat until I've feel like I've gotten the whole scalp equally. I usually do this on semi-damp hair(misting in this case).

More often I mix a little into a small bottle of EVOO and apply similar to above. (maybe 10 to 1 - I think you could use just about any carrier oil and mix to suit your own preferences).

For either of the above, I don't find a need to specificaly rinse out the oil, though letting it "soak"for bit and then combing or fingercombing later seems to work well. I just wash when/as usual. Just remember though, as with any oil on the scalp, a little is all you need (if nothing else, start with just a tiny bit and work up to whatever seems right. it's always easier to add than take away). When I was doing this regularly it was about 2-3 times a week, and I plan to get back to it - whether or not it helps growth is yet to be seen, but it turned out to be good for me otherwise.

Most articles I've seen that reference using it for dandruff recommend adding it to shampoo. Once I got used to the stuff and made sure my scalp and hair didn't have a problem, I started doing that too(hey, I figured if it turned out to not agree with me, I didn't want a whole bottle of shampoo "contaminated" with it). If you CO, I don't see any reason it wouldn't work for conditioner . Mine happens to be the Jason organics brand, and I know they sell pre-mixed tea tree S & C directed at dandruff control(found mine at a big chain drug store, and saw the S&C - but not oil - at wal-mart since then).

btw, the smell can be a bit strong at first, or at least I thought so. I had to mix it with EVOO lightly and gradually work up to a stronger mix before I even considered using it by itself

ps - sorry for what turned into such a long post - just haven't seen this really discussed since we got the new board, and for once I felt like I had something to contribute:silly: I always feel like I get to threads too late

Euphony
April 3rd, 2008, 12:37 PM
Once I nixed the sulfates my dandruff went away - but I didn't have true dandruff but irritation from sulfate residue. I had the oily, flaky, itchies going on and realized after I switched that my scalp stays cleaner, I rarely itch and rarely have flakies now. My husband used to have the problem horribly and once he switched to only hair soap his problems with it are gone too. We were both very surprised.

Chromis
April 3rd, 2008, 02:36 PM
TTO didn't help mine but henna sure does! I don't actually have good colouring to be a redhead though, so I have to indigo afterwards. A bit finicky solution and rather messy, but a grand excuse to glomp mud all over your head!

EvilPigeon
April 3rd, 2008, 02:53 PM
After I started to henna, the dandruff has decreased signifigantly and my scalp doesn't itch as much! :) However, I still get a little bit of dandruff and itchies...just not nearly as much. That's okay,though. I'm hoping that the more I henna,the less I will feel and it will go away. Sounds too good to be true