PDA

View Full Version : The average time for trimming when growing hair out?

MissPetite2010
April 24th, 2014, 11:45 AM
Small question, was wondering anyone's thoughts on the average time when trimming hair besides the 6-8 weeks? My hairstylist knows that I'm wanting to grow my hair out, and she said to come back in about 3-4 months for a trim. I guess that's a good time to help with split ends? I guess it also depends on hair type if you could go longer. Anyway, was wondering what you guys think/thoughts? I know there's some people that don't trim/cut hair at all. lol Wish I could do that, but my hair would look unruly. lol Thanks in advance...

Hedera
April 24th, 2014, 11:57 AM
Like my hair stylist says; if you want your hair to get long, don't get it cut! ;)

When I'm growing it out (like now, again - sigh...) I get it cut maybe once a year or so. And then only maybe one inch, just to snip off some brittle ends etc.
When growing out a pixie cut (which I have also done) I might get it cut a bit more often in the beginning to get rid of the mullet (but only the mullet), maybe once every 4 or 5 months.

darklyndsea
April 24th, 2014, 12:02 PM
Whenever you get super unhappy with the ends...for me that's a few years between trims, for others it's probably less. In general, wait as long as you can stand to and then get as little taken off as you can.

MissPetite2010
April 24th, 2014, 12:04 PM
Like my hair stylist says; if you want your hair to get long, don't get it cut! ;)

When I'm growing it out (like now, again - sigh...) I get it cut maybe once a year or so. And then only maybe one inch, just to snip off some brittle ends etc.
When growing out a pixie cut (which I have also done) I might get it cut a bit more often in the beginning to get rid of the mullet (but only the mullet), maybe once every 4 or 5 months.
thanks. besides this last cut I had Sat. I went 8 months with out a cut. Was lucky that the splits weren't that bad. But, a trim was definitely needed. I've got a good 5 inches before my hair reaches WL :)

MissPetite2010
April 24th, 2014, 12:05 PM

thanks. besides this last cut I had Sat. I went 8 months with out a cut. Was lucky that the splits weren't that bad. But, a trim was definitely needed. I've got a good 5 inches before my hair reaches WL :)

MissPetite2010
April 24th, 2014, 12:09 PM
Sorry, didn't mean for the last post to get added twice. That's exactly how I felt as far as my ends go. I thought it was definitely time for a trim. I kept my same layers, but had a bit trimmed off. Overall I had 1/4 cut. Not too bad. Just enough to get me by, and to clean up my ends a bit. I'll probably wait until after summer is over with, if I decide to get my hair trimmed again.

YvetteVarie
April 25th, 2014, 12:42 AM
I had my first trim 1 and a half years after starting to grow my hair out. And I didn't trim off much, maybe about an inch maximum. I had gotten a little scissors happy this year, but I am now on a no trim challenge for about 6 months, and then I will assess the state of my hair. But if you stay away from the heat, and avoid bleaching, 3-4 months is an OK time to go between trims, and your hair wouldn't have too many splits.

adler
April 25th, 2014, 01:59 AM
I agree with what other's have said, if the ends look fine then there is really no need to trim. When I grew out my hair last time (growing once again...) I did it every 5 months approximately. At first I would do it every month or so but it took forever to see any growth that way so I would recommend waiting as long as you can but before any damage or splits can seize the length of your hair.

lapushka
April 25th, 2014, 03:55 AM
Also agree. There is no need to trim - ever. Except when there's damage to the hair, and you can always get that out by doing S&D sessions, where you cut the individual splits or white dots out of your hair. Every 3 to 4 months isn't that bad, if you could only control how much the hairdresser *really* cuts off (because it can be hard to keep tabs on).

Most people self-trim around here. Try looking into Feye's self-trimming method!

HintOfMint
April 25th, 2014, 10:08 AM
It's different for everybody. I personally can't go longer than 6 - 8 months without a trim. Even with S&D, the ends just get... old and a bit ratty, and it's more than S&D can take care of on its own. So I have my hair trimmed two (or three, if it's been a particularly brutal winter or I've been rough with my hair) times a year.

spidermom
April 25th, 2014, 11:01 AM
I like to have some shape to my hair, so I like trims. Every 3-4 months seemed good when I was actively growing it longer.

JessicaAnn
April 25th, 2014, 02:41 PM
It's been just over six months since my big chop and I would really like to get a trim just to add some shape back to my hair. The layers are getting a little unruly. I actually meant to get a trim before now, but my stylist keeps cancelling on me and I'm chicken to go somewhere else. When I'm growing out my length I find that 2-3 trims a year keeps me in good shape and lets me add a good amount of length.