PDA

View Full Version : Microtrimming for curlies

CurlyOne
April 24th, 2014, 07:50 AM
So I have been thinking about doing micro trimming as I grow out. I have kind of thin hair and the last time I grew out, the ends drove me nuts. This time around I think I want to try trimming, not just S&D. Thing is, my hair is pretty curly and I don't exactly know how that effects trimming. I have never done trimming before. I did a search and I didn't find anything relating specifically to curly hair and micro trimming or dusting. Is there anyone who can point me in the right direction or give me their experience with growing curly hair and dusting?

lapushka
April 24th, 2014, 08:25 AM
You either use Feye's method, the compact cut method for layering or you cut each individual curl to your desired length (devacut).

Marbid
April 24th, 2014, 09:54 AM
Personally... I straighten my hair slightly for a feyes method.. Best way for an accurate blunt trim.. I only straighten slightly.. Just enough to get the ends lying in the same direction. Not for straight hair desire.. The difference is... I dont mind the kinks.. And i use the lowest temp on the iron..

Then an oil soak... And wash hair the next day... I do this on maybe my 4th dirty hair day..

And micro trim every 4 months.. In the end.. I straighten my hair only 3 times a year.. I dont think thats too bad.. Depends on your hair thou.

The key is to get the ends to all face the same direction.. If you can do that with a buble braid all the way to the tips.. You might get a decently accurate cut.. You cant tell a mistake all that well on curly hair any ways. But my ends will all come out jagged and spiky like if i try to micro trim any other way... And it just bothers me.

I feel more in control when all my hair lies in the same direction.. But yeah, just find a way to get your ends to face the same way.. Uniform.. And do a feyes cut..

Sparklylady82
June 9th, 2014, 10:33 PM
Personally... I straighten my hair slightly for a feyes method.. Best way for an accurate blunt trim.. I only straighten slightly.. Just enough to get the ends lying in the same direction. Not for straight hair desire.. The difference is... I dont mind the kinks.. And i use the lowest temp on the iron..

Then an oil soak... And wash hair the next day... I do this on maybe my 4th dirty hair day..

And micro trim every 4 months.. In the end.. I straighten my hair only 3 times a year.. I dont think thats too bad.. Depends on your hair thou.

The key is to get the ends to all face the same direction.. If you can do that with a buble braid all the way to the tips.. You might get a decently accurate cut.. You cant tell a mistake all that well on curly hair any ways. But my ends will all come out jagged and spiky like if i try to micro trim any other way... And it just bothers me.

I feel more in control when all my hair lies in the same direction.. But yeah, just find a way to get your ends to face the same way.. Uniform.. And do a feyes cut..

I was just searching for this info! That makes sense, my hair is wavy so it's probably better to straighten to get an accurate measurement. My hair is APL, is that too short to use the Feye method?

CurlyCap
June 9th, 2014, 11:52 PM
I don't like Feye's or a compact cut. Asking my hair to be that behaved while I go at it with scissors is asking for disaster.

Does your hair mostly straighten when it's wet? If so, then feye's or a compact might work better for you if you cut when wet. Since it's a microtrim, you don't have to really worry about accidentally cutting too much off.

I cut curl by curl, on wet or dry hair. I cut for a trim (for me ~6mos taking 0.5-1"), so it's not a DevaCut in the sense that I'm trying to style my hair into a shape. I find it's easier to control the amount I cut off my hair since I can see each curl and to get consistent results from trim to trim. No heat needed. No damage done.

I find it matters more how people wear their hair on a daily basis. If you like to stretch your hair and have it basically straight, then opt for an option that focuses on a super even hemline. If you wear it curly, focus on a option that gives you best results when your hair is dry and curly.

Beborani
June 10th, 2014, 12:22 AM
Compact cut would wreck havoc on my hair. My hair is already styled in a curly V. So I bring both sides to the front like Feye but match curls on either side. I like freshly washed partially dried hair--mind you I have done this only once and I am not sure if I will go back to salon eventually or keep doing it myself as I do like the shape they give me. My ends are thin, so there isn't much to cut--in each curl there are about 4 to five strands that get cut. i worry that perhaps I should be cutting it at some angle except I dont know what that angle is. I watched deva videos and other wannabe deva videos. Deva people are secretive and others seem to be butchering.

Sparklylady82
June 10th, 2014, 08:38 AM
I don't have good clumping so a deva cut would be a disaster on me!

queenovnight
June 10th, 2014, 10:04 AM
I like Marbid's method. Also, CurlyCap's.

When I would trim, I would blow my hair out. I would get it as straight as possible, add a little oil to the very ends and then I would trim. But if it's just a micro-trimming, wet would work just as well. - It's not a good idea if your wanting to cut off several inches though. Dry is best in that situation.

dulce
June 10th, 2014, 10:32 AM
Iwent for a bluntish cut as layers exaggerate my curly clumps at the ends making my hair look thinner at the ends.

jeanniet
June 10th, 2014, 01:38 PM
If I self-cut, I do all three methods--first Feye's, then compact, then cut some individual curls that look like they need it. I don't do as good a job as a goo salon curly cut, but it's not bad. Curly hair is pretty forgiving. I actually just went to the salon today and she said I didn't do a bad job hacking at all. In fact, she said she tells her clients not to be afraid to cut a curl if it's bugging them.