PDA

View Full Version : Another cut nor not to cut thread (includes pictures)

Maverick494
April 23rd, 2014, 02:35 PM
Hello everyone,

I haven't been here in a while. Hair growth has been going achingly slow and I had to deal with a lot of shedding. Also my trich (trichotillmania) hasn't gotten better so I'm afraid of hairdressers seeing my bald spot.

It's not big, and can't be seen whenI'm just walking around, but when they comb through my hair they could probably see it and that prospect scares me.

Anyway, I have been cutting my own hair for over a year using Feye's method. But honestly I mostly just microtrim. I'm wondering if I should get a good cut to thicken up my hemline,
because I don't want the ends to look too scraggly.
I'm also wondering what length I'm at. My hand is on my hip.

Please give your honest opinions!

Apologies in advance for the crappy quality; I took them with my phone.

http://s11.postimg.org/4dmkyxjpf/Schermafbeelding_2014_04_23_om_22_22_26.png
http://s29.postimg.org/ipmuekml3/Schermafbeelding_2014_04_23_om_22_23_06.png

**UPDATE/EDIT**25th of April 2014

Here are some more pictures.
Funny, this is picture is me about 2,5/3 years ago:
http://s17.postimg.org/c0hk3y9i7/my_hair1.jpg

This is me now, in almost the exact same outfit.
In the same bathroom. And the same fake flowers!
I wore this today to show how my hair looks against a lighter color.

I took the first picture before brushing my hair:
http://s22.postimg.org/hhdcy91xt/Schermafbeelding_2014_04_25_om_00_20_22.png

I took the second one after brushing my hair:
http://s27.postimg.org/v4kalmzf7/Schermafbeelding_2014_04_25_om_00_21_10.png

As you can see, especially in the second one, my ends are almost see through against a white backdrop. Only the middle piece is still faintly recognizable against my red top.

I used to got my hair cut in a mostly blunt cut, but I've been leaning towards a U or maybe even a slight V now, because I want to maintain as much length as possible. What do you think?

Larki
April 23rd, 2014, 02:42 PM
I think it would be easier to see your hair if you were wearing lighter colors, but as far as I can tell your hair looks good! I'd say you're past waist, maybe at hip?

And I also have trich, and I once had to get a haircut (shoulder-length bob) when I had CRAZY baldness, my part was an inch wide! The stylist didn't say anything, thank god, but I felt so awkward.

FallingDarkness
April 23rd, 2014, 03:57 PM
I'd say an inch off but that's it, your hair looks great.

xoChesleyy
April 23rd, 2014, 04:03 PM
I agree with FallingDarkness, just an inch or so off would be good.. But your hair looks great as it is nonetheless!

I honestly do not think that the hairdresser would even think anything of your bald spot.
Hairdressers are around all different kinds of hair types and hair conditions all day long.. It's their career- They've seen it all, I'm sure! :p

LauraLongLocks
April 23rd, 2014, 08:17 PM
You look past hip to me, maybe BCL? Your hair looks lovely. Just keep doing what you are doing with the microtrimming. It seems to be working perfectly for you. Good luck with the trich. My 10 year old daughter has it, too, and her bald spot was one entire side of her head. It's finally filling in and looking much better, though it is shorter than the other side of her head. Such a difficult thing to struggle with.

Dessi
April 23rd, 2014, 09:28 PM
Your hair looks really good! Is your hand on your hip? I think you're at BCL. And I agree with LauraLongLocks, just keep doing what you're doing.

Lyv
April 23rd, 2014, 10:40 PM
Your hair already looks really nice! I might take maybe half an inch or at most an inch and it looks to like you're probably around BCL assuming your hand is around hip. If you do go to a salon I'm sure the stylist has dealt with so many different types of hair/scalp conditions that they wouldn't say word.

queenieheather
April 23rd, 2014, 11:34 PM
I think it looks great too. If you go to a salon the stylist will probably be too distracted by your length to notice a bald spot.

AmyBeth
April 23rd, 2014, 11:54 PM
Honestly, the first thought that popped into my head when I saw the picture was "Ooohh, pretty!". I love the color and the little waves. Your hemline is enviable. Of course, I can't see where your BC begins, but I would guess you're pretty darn near it!:p You have to do what will make you happy, but if it were mine, I wouldn't dream of cutting it. I worked in a salon for quite a few years, and hairdressers seem to me to be very compassionate and non-judgemental about things like trich. But I truly think your hemline is doing beautifully under your own ministrations.

Crumpet
April 24th, 2014, 12:52 AM
I looked at the pictures before your post (I'm photo greedy!) and my first thought was: oh no! don't cut it!

Really pretty hair. I don't think you need to do anything different from what you are doing. Good luck with your trich. There are other members here who you could talk to about it if you think that would be helpful. The good thing about the LHC is that there are so many supportive people here.

:grouphug:

Kherome
April 24th, 2014, 06:02 AM
I'd say an inch off but that's it, your hair looks great.

I agree as well

lapushka
April 24th, 2014, 08:29 AM
To me that's hip+ length, well on your way to TBL. Why not keep using Feye's method? You could microtrim. But to tell you the truth, I see no reason to trim your hair!

Charybdis
April 24th, 2014, 09:57 AM
Honestly, I think your ends look good, and I'm not a fan of fairy-tale ends on non-curly hair. (Nothing wrong with them, just personal preference.) You're doing a good job with your trims, I don't think you need a professional taking off more!

On a different note, are you sure you're a 1c? You look like at least a 2a to me. :flower:

Maverick494
April 24th, 2014, 04:49 PM
Thank you all so much for your replies! Oh and Charybdis, I filled that form in when I just joined, and by now I have no clue what 1c or 2b means anymore. Could you tell me?

I've added some more pictures to first post of the topic, this time with me wearing a white vest, to show what my hair looks like against a light surface. My ends look alarmingly see-through. I might actually resort to just wearing dark colors from now on, haha.

I'm contemplating cutting an inch of based on your replies, but now I see how bad the ends are, I wonder if more needs to be done. Or just have another shape cut into my hair, like an U or V shape.

What do you all think?

Charybdis
April 24th, 2014, 05:30 PM
Here's a link to descriptions of the hair classifiers used on the LHC boards.http://web.archive.org/web/20120105045506/http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=5

Looking at the picture with the white top, I can see why you might want to trim an inch or two, but it doesn't look bad. A U-shape would be pretty with your waves, I think.

Larki
April 24th, 2014, 05:35 PM
Looks like you're on your way to fairytale ends right now, which personally I think look beautiful on wavy and curly hair, but if you want to trim an inch or so to thicken up your hemline, I say go for it!