PDA

View Full Version : To Cut or Not to Cut?

OperaPhantom
April 22nd, 2014, 09:45 PM
That is the question for me. For years all I haven't taken very good care of my hair. I didn't dye it, or use lots of heat, or use any harsh chemicals, I simply didn't do anything with it. Apart from washing twice a week and brushing daily, I never did anything. When I grew it to my lower back, I thought not trimming it would help it grow better, not realising that split-ends would result. I also had a nervous habit of playing with my hair, which caused lots of breakage and un-even length. No one ever how to take care of my hair, so I had no idea. I'm taking better care of it now, but there's still lots of split ends, un-eveness, and it's just not as healthy as it could be.
I want to get it cut to chin length and then grow it longer, making sure it all grows healthy. The only problem is, everyone tells my how beautiful my hair looks right now. Whenever I mention getting it cut, my family and friends are shocked and say what a tragedy it would be to ruin my lovely hair. The thing is, it doesn't look right to me. I can tell it's unhealthy. It looks a lot better than a lot of my friends' hair, but I know it's not the best it could be.
I need advice from people outside of my family and friends. Should I cut my hair and grow it out, using the knowledge I have now to make sure it stays healthy? Or should I just leave it as it is? Like I said, everyone says how beautiful it is, but I just don't feel like it's as healthy as it could be.

molljo
April 22nd, 2014, 09:54 PM
I think if you want to cut it, you should cut it- after you've really thought about it for a couple of weeks. If this is something that's been brewing in your head for a long time, then go for it. One thing I would caution, though, maybe don't go all the way to chin. My hair's a bit less wavy than yours, and chin was a pain to deal with. Is there a reason you want to go that far up and not, say, collarbone or APL? That way you'd be able to chop off a lot of damage, but still look "long-ish" to the general public and have more room for your waves not to be too annoying.

Stormynights
April 22nd, 2014, 09:56 PM
It takes a long time to grow, but it will take the same amount of time to grow out healthy either way. I find it hard to believe that most think their hair is perfect because we are our own worse critics. IMO just trim and enjoy.

nina.
April 22nd, 2014, 09:57 PM
i think you should do whatever you please with your hair! if you feel that cutting it would make you happy and in turn letting your hair be at its healthiest, then you should do it :D my hair story is similar to yours. for many years i didn't take very good care of it and i decided to cut all the damage off and start fresh, even though my friends and family said it looked lovely. (i went from lower back to chin length) and it grew quickly once i took care of it and made sure not to use heat on it, like ever. do what makes you happy!

JadedByEntropy
April 22nd, 2014, 09:59 PM
I've always done major chops like you are considering. I've always met opposition from everyone when I have, but compliments follow. If you've done the short hair thing before, its not going to be a challenge except maybe the growing it back part. If you like having length, I'd suggest only chopping about half of it and seeing if its healthy enough for you to accept its current condition. That way you get out the bulk of damage without having to wait those extra years to regain it. :D

Its really up to you, as always.

It also depends on your health at that time. if you know you're healthier 3 years ago, and not so much 2 years ago, estimate to the 3 year mark and cut there. You know what I mean? The hair at that time will be healthier than maybe your chin length cut could be. you might not feel so relieved to find out that its equally unhealthy at the shorter length. :/

Splits are part of the process to me. But taking out layers if you suffer from them could be helpful too. get one even chop, and start again with a clean line will reduce tangles even if you keep split ends.

OperaPhantom
April 22nd, 2014, 10:00 PM
I've had it cut that short before and I didn't find it too annoying. It's also the length of the shortest section of my hair (my nervous habit causing lots of un-even length), so cutting it that short would mean all my hair is the same length.

molljo
April 22nd, 2014, 10:04 PM
I've had it cut that short before and I didn't find it too annoying. It's also the length of the shortest section of my hair (my nervous habit causing lots of un-even length), so cutting it that short would mean all my hair is the same length.

Then I think you should go for it! Make a folder/pinterest album/whatever of cute bobs and get excited.

MadeiraD
April 22nd, 2014, 10:06 PM
Well I'd need to see a photo, I think chin sounds a bit drastic. Why not trim as it grows to even up the length, and do S&D to get rid of the splits. I have some damage on my ends, but I just cut the splits, and once I reach my goal length I'm going to maintain there for a bit and try and sort out my hemline.

xoChesleyy
April 22nd, 2014, 11:47 PM
It's totally up to you! You should always do what will make you the most happy, though. One option if you want to keep your long hair is to just trim it periodically until all of the damage grows out. You could also S&D trim, as Madeira said. :)

YvetteVarie
April 23rd, 2014, 01:10 AM
I know how annoying it is to have damaged hair, but I think cutting down to chin length is a bit drastic. Like the ladies suggested, I think cutting down to CBL or APL is your best bet. And then you can microtrim as you grow it out again.

memeow
April 23rd, 2014, 01:45 AM
I'm in a kind of similar situation. I really like having my hair long and I don't think the damage is too noticeable unless you're looking for it, so personally I've decided to just trim and S&D as I grow. I figure it will take at least 3 years for the
undamaged part to catch up to where the ends are now, and I'd rather have my long, imperfect hair for that time than cut it and grow it. But it really comes down to what makes you personally happy.

You might not want to cut that much all at once though. Maybe take off a few inches, wait a week, see if you want to do more, rinse and repeat. It's a lot faster to cut hair than to grow it back...

Flor
April 23rd, 2014, 01:54 AM
Before you go for the cut - clarify, deep condition, do a very long and thorough S&D session. If still not happy, trim a few inches. If still not happy, then cut it as short as you want.

That said, if at this moment in life you really just want short hair, then go for it right away. However, if you think that by starting fresh, you'll be able to grow hair that's perfect and "healthy" in every way, then you're doing it for wrong reasons. No hair is perfect and such thing cannot be archived.

Lyv
April 23rd, 2014, 04:46 AM
I think that if you've given it a lot of thought and it's still what you want then you should do it and ignore what everyone else says you should do, it's your hair after all. I cut mine from mid back to a pixie and I'm glad I did it, I'd rather be happy with the condition of my hair now than to just constantly be trimming and waiting.

Carolyn
April 23rd, 2014, 05:04 AM
We are often our own worst critic. I really doubt it's as bad as you think. A chin length cut is really drastic. Do you think you want the hassle of hair that short? I think it would be so frustrating to have hair too short to put in a ponytail. If I were you I would do a nice trim and maybe go to bottom of bra or even up to mid back. You will still have style options. Are you prepared to go from almost limitless style options to almost none? I've never agreed with the "2 Week Rule". Hair that long took years to grow. Two weeks of thought about a cut is not near enough to make a clear headed decision. I would get a trim and take super good care of my hair and wait AT LEAST a few months before doing something as drastic as a chin length cut.

two_wheels
April 23rd, 2014, 05:08 AM
I think if you want long hair you can't be a perfectionist about it. So I would suggest considering whether this might be it.

I thought cutting my dye off would be a great opportunity to grow healthy from day 1. And it is much better than before- but progress is slow- as in years- and who knows, maybe at waist the ends will be in the same state as they would have been if I hadn't cut. I had to cut, as the dye wouldn't come out. If it had been natural and damaged, no way I would have cut.

On the other hand, maybe it's not perfectionism and maybe it's too damaged to continue. Your call.

kganihanova
April 23rd, 2014, 05:20 AM
How about collarbone or shoulder instead? Short but still pony length.

QMacrocarpa
April 23rd, 2014, 08:28 AM
I always lean toward starting with a small trim. On my own hair a tiny trim can make a huge difference in how well my hair behaves. Even if it's hard to believe that a small trim could help much, I'd start there. It's so much easier to trim more later than to go back in time and trim less!

kganihanova
April 23rd, 2014, 09:52 AM
To be honest, I really think you should go with your gut. If you really want that damage gone, go for it. Big chopping was the best thing I ever for my growth. However, make sure that all of you understands that it doesn't grow back instantly.

ErinLeigh
April 23rd, 2014, 10:04 AM
Nightshade has an article link in her signature about growing out damaged hair that I thought was an interesting read.
Maybe read that and consider the 2 options (big chop or the trim plan) and see which one sounds like what you really want to do deep down. Big chops can be an instant relief...but for some can bring regret. You just have to ask yourself how important the length is to you.

You could always compromise with SL/CBL for now, and then trim the growth off monthly for a few months to get the rest of the damaged hair off. Doing this you can still wear hair up as desired.

lapushka
April 23rd, 2014, 10:08 AM
I'd go for microtrimming. Let it grow a few inches, then take one inch off, or two if you want to maintain the length. That way you can still do updos and such and don't have to go short (short hair can be quite the challenge to take care of).

spidermom
April 23rd, 2014, 10:46 AM
PUT DOWN THE SCISSORS! I suspect that one thing you're not realizing is that every single one of us have hairs of different lengths. Some of this may be due to breakage, but most of it is probably the shed and regrow cycle. When each hair comes to the end of its growth cycle (which can be anywhere from a few months to 10 years), it stops growing, then the root shrinks, and it sheds out. Then a new hair grows in its place until you reach the elderly years.

You could probably benefit from a trim, but I doubt you need to go all the way to chin. Try this:
1) If you always have the same part, leave it in the front, but part your hair straight down the middle in the back. Comb each side forward and join the sides into a single ponytail under your chin.
2) Check with a mirror to be sure each side is coming smoothly forward with no bumps or bulges. If it's not smooth and even, re-do step 1.
3) Comb the ponytail under your chin straight down.
4) Close a book over your ponytail, keep it level, and slide the book straight down your ponytail.
5) Look at the ends sticking out from the bottom of the book. When you get to ends that look damaged, dry, and uneven, cut them straight across at the bottom of the book. BE CONSERVATIVE. You can always repeat the process and cut a little more, but you can't put it back once you cut it.

Release your hair and comb it out. How does it look and feel? Better? You're done!

Then take good care of your hair and give it a few deep treatments. Trim it every few months as needed.

YamaMaya
April 23rd, 2014, 12:32 PM
If you're unsure, try a trim first then baby the rest of the damage while trimming off bit by bit. If youre still not happy then cut it.

LAG93
April 23rd, 2014, 02:19 PM
im sort of in your position too, I treated my hair amazingly and it was super healthy, I hennad it though and I was getting sick of the color. since it was so healthy I thought id go to my stylist and have her try to get the henna out. it kinda worked, I mean its less red but still there and now I have this awkward two inches of blonde highlights and the rest is more my natural mixed with alittle henna red. its not that dramatic or noticeable but I notice it! everyone says they love my hair and they say it still looks and feels just as healthy, but I can tell it tangles more and is a pain in the ass when its wet. also I just want to cut all the henna out, im so sick of the red. but that would mean a long pixie for me, which I cant do. I decided on a "lob" or a long bob, which is really popular right now and actually looks great on everyone ive seen it on. then ill maintain there until the henna I all gone(probably a year maybe two)

id suggest the same for you! you can still pony it and do things with it but youll get most of your damage away and can maintain for a year to get the rest of the damage and start fresh!

LauraLongLocks
April 23rd, 2014, 08:23 PM
Only go for the big chop if you want a change, and you don't enjoy your length right now. Otherwise, just trim half your growth every other month until you are happy with your hemline and the health of your hair. That's exactly what I plan on doing at TBL. I don't want to lose a lot of length all at once, but I do want to improve my hemline and rid myself of the last of my pesky layers. So, it's really a matter of what your goals are, and your happiness with the length right now.