PDA

View Full Version : Dry shampoo recipes

melikai
September 15th, 2008, 12:15 PM
I've just "discovered" these to help in dealing with my greasy bang portions without having to shampoo all the time.
Today I just used some baby powder (:p), which worked well enough, but would love to make my own that would not be stark white against my hair.
I found a recipe for one online, where you store cornstarch with some dried herbs or flowers for a while, so that the cornstarch absorbs the smell of the flowers. However, I couldn't find any recipes on here. Anybody have any? Are there any alternatives to cornstarch? Most cornstarch that I've seen comes bleached.
It seems like the easiest thing to make, and the ready-made ones seem expensive.
Thanks for any ideas!

mellie
September 15th, 2008, 12:40 PM
I've got a great recipe at home - I'm at work now (naughty, naughty...).

It is corn meal (yes, corn meal), blended in a food processor with some castor oil and lemon E.O. It is fantastic, I used it many many times throughout the summer when I didn't feel like washing my hair. It doesn't show up at all against my dark hair, unlike the starch ones.

I'll post it later tonight when I get home! :-)

melikai
September 15th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Thanks mellie! I actually have some organic corn meal and some castor oil. However, wouldn't it end up making the corn meal oily? Now I can't wait until you get home! *speeds up time for you*

mellie
September 15th, 2008, 01:52 PM
No, it doesn't make the meal oily, I don't know how it works, but it's awesome!

I've posted it a couple times before, maybe if you have time to do a search, you might find it!

Finoriel
September 15th, 2008, 02:56 PM
This link might be interesting :)
"Nanny Pauline´s Recipes and Techniques" (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=6387&highlight=shampoo) posted by Gladtobemom.
Little further down is the link to the airing powder aka dry shampoo recipe hiding.

Sceleste
September 15th, 2008, 03:01 PM
I've used rice bran powder occasionally, and it works well for me.

mellie
September 15th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Aha! I found mine! Here it is:

Blend in food processor:
6 oz. corn meal
20 drops castor oil
30 drops lemon essential oil

Massage into hair, and brush out (I did this outside).

Kuchen
September 15th, 2008, 03:12 PM
There's an extensive thread on the archive but I can't call it up right now.

melikai
September 15th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Finoriel: Thanks for the great link, the recipes all seem to have a common base which you adjust according to preference in EO's, I guess.

Sceleste: I'll definitely look into rice bran powder - might be a good alternative to corn starch.

Mellie: Great! I did try a search for a rather long time and I couldn't find it for some reason. Maybe I have poor searching skills ;)
I wonder if using the food processor would work for the other dry shampoo recipes as well, so that I wouldn't have to store it for 3 weeks. Thanks for the recipe!

melikai
September 15th, 2008, 03:19 PM
There's an extensive thread on the archive but I can't call it up right now.

Ah - there I did not look. How daft of me!

ljkforu
September 16th, 2008, 03:48 AM

Blend in food processor:
6 oz. corn meal
20 drops castor oil

Fantastic recipe! I can't wait to try it.

rhosyn_du
September 16th, 2008, 04:06 AM

Blend in food processor:
6 oz. corn meal
20 drops castor oil

Is that 6 oz. by weight or by volume? And if it's by weight, do you happen to know about how much that is volume-wise? I am sadly lacking a food scale, but the recipe sounds awesome.

mellie
September 16th, 2008, 04:57 AM
Is that 6 oz. by weight or by volume? And if it's by weight, do you happen to know about how much that is volume-wise? I am sadly lacking a food scale, but the recipe sounds awesome.

I just used a regular measuring cup, as I don't have a food scale either.

pariate
September 16th, 2008, 05:25 AM
Do all dry shampoos have to be brushed out? I'm a 2c/3a and daren't set a brush to my hair! :rolling: Not a good look...

So can dry shampoos be used without subsequent brushing?

mellie
September 16th, 2008, 05:29 AM
So can dry shampoos be used without subsequent brushing?

With the coarseness of the meal of my recipe, I would think just shaking it out pretty well should work. Of course, you might get dizzy... :-)

curly girl fla
September 16th, 2008, 06:04 AM
Not homemade, and I've never tried it, but I love some of her facial products-very nice quality...just fyi- This (http://www.ifeelprettyproducts.com/hair_products.htm) looks like a nice dry shampoo...

Molster
September 16th, 2008, 07:13 AM
I have had good results with this recipie, a variation of one posted in the previous Airing Powder thread - I'm sorry I can't remember whose invention the original was, but this is what I use:

1 tablespoon cornflour
1 tablespoon orris root powder (my local health food shop stocks this)
Half tablespoon powdered rose petals

All in jar or sealable plastic bag, shake it up and it's ready to use. This amount should last quite a while as you don't need to use much each time.

I just dip my fingertips in it, shake off the excess, and rub the fine powder gently into my scalp. I leave it for a few minutes and then shake/comb out any excess, and you're ready to go.

Delila
September 16th, 2008, 07:59 AM
... but this is what I use:

1 tablespoon cornflour

I have to ask, since I notice you're listed as living in the UK.

When you say cornflour, are you referring to finely, finely ground up maize (corn), or to what would be called cornstarch (i.e, pure white powdery stuff, that's JUST the starch) in the US??

Samikha
September 16th, 2008, 08:20 AM
1 tablespoon cornflour
1 tablespoon orris root powder (my local health food shop stocks this)
Half tablespoon powdered rose petals

Does this darken the cornflour any? I don't know what orris root powder looks like, and while cornstarch works fine for me, it's whiter than I might wish, so I really do have to brush to get it out.

melikai
September 16th, 2008, 08:49 AM
I'm not sure how much darker it would make it overall, but I looked up images of orris root powder on google and it is a beige colour.

Also, aren't you supposed to store the rose petals in the powders for a while in order for the powders to take on the scent?

Thanks for all the additional recipes! I think I'll be able to stretch out my washing time by a couple of days using these!

Molster
September 17th, 2008, 04:05 AM
Delila - Apols, yes corn starch is known as cornflour in the UK - a very fine, white, almost 'squeaky' powder used to thicken sauces!

Samikha - Orris root powder does darken it down slightly to a sort of beige. The addition of the powdered rose petals gives it almost a skin-tone colour. It certainly won't be as obvious in dark hair as a straight white powder.

melikai - The rose petals are dry and powdered, not whole. It's slightly scented and can be mixed in and used straight away. It's a bit of a luxury touch really, but it does make it smell nice and makes the powder slightly more dusky pink.

Lisa-Maria
September 19th, 2008, 05:09 AM
Well I tried Arrow Root powder yesterday and it works great, even better than corn starch, and I can buy it in a shaker!