PDA

View Full Version : Bleach disaster - urgent?

CharleaMurphy
April 22nd, 2014, 04:37 PM
I had henna'd hair, a medium auburn colour. I tried to ombré it using bleach but the 'ombré' effect didn't blend at all. I've tried hennaing back over the bleached parts multiple times and have just achieved an orange. It still doesn't blend.
My prom is in three days and I go back to school tomorrow!
My hair looks horrible and I don't know what to do.
I was going to buy a dye after school tomorrow to try to fix it. I don't know how to get the colour darker though. Failing that I think I would need to put a red over it so it would go from a dark to light red. Would this work?
Can I use a permanent box dye (eesh! I know) over bleached hair?
I have no money to go to the salon and get it fixed.
Urgent suggestions needed please!

MadeiraD
April 22nd, 2014, 04:41 PM
Here's what I'd reccomend get some manic panic (a semi permanent hair color which won't make the damage worse) to blend the color) Make sure the hair is VERY clean first, then apply it and wait with it in the hair as long as possible.

In future avoid big beauty experiments before a big event.

ExpectoPatronum
April 22nd, 2014, 04:52 PM
To hide it for school, you can wear your hair in a bun or braid too. It'd probably have a nice effect with the different colors, even if they aren't blended.

I second manic panic.

lapushka
April 22nd, 2014, 04:55 PM
If you can't get a hold of manic panic, I'd try a permanent dye in medium auburn. Your ombre will be gone, but at least your hair will be fixed.

ETA (hoping you used BAQ henna and not henna that contains metallic salts, otherwise you'll have another disaster waiting for you)

meteor
April 22nd, 2014, 04:55 PM
Another vote for braids or buns for school and then - an appointment with an experienced colorist to fix the lot.

CharleaMurphy
April 22nd, 2014, 05:00 PM
I have a directions dye in "Pillarbox red" that I can use over it if I have to but that will fade fast. I need more long term solutions?
I have almost no money at the moment and can't go to a hairstylist. I really don't want to borrow money from people

renarok
April 22nd, 2014, 05:04 PM
My advice is to not do any permanent coloring for awhile, the manic panic wont damage your hair so that is ok. Updos can hide a lot of hair oopsies. Have fun at your prom!

lapushka
April 22nd, 2014, 05:17 PM
This might be a good updo to hide the ends (updo starts at a little more than 2 min. into the video)!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOzk5VHwx4c

threadOfGold
April 22nd, 2014, 05:18 PM
Can we see your prom dress???:o I bet it's beautiful! Did you want to wear your hair down for prom? If so manic panic! Maybe you could do a crown braid! That would look lovely and the colours would all contrast together. :)

Rosetta
April 23rd, 2014, 03:13 AM
I have a directions dye in "Pillarbox red" that I can use over it if I have to but that will fade fast. I need more long term solutions?

Actually, Directions dye over bleached hair might very well turn out to be permanent ;) In my experience, these highly pigmented deposit-only dyes stick like glue in processed hair, especially bleached.

SleepyTangles
April 23rd, 2014, 04:45 AM
I'd buy a deposit only dye (auburn or warm brown shade) and delay the problem a bit, then do some katam/henndigo glosses on the ends, to even them out. With a deposit only dye you should have just the slighlest ombre effect.
But I know that this is the slow road, if you want to deal with it now or suspect a deposit only dye will not give you the effect you want, feel free to ignore this :flower:.

Are you sure your hair looks so bad? The ombre style is just the opposite to have perfect even hair.

SkyChild
April 23rd, 2014, 09:32 AM
I would put the pillarbox red over it, be agree that it might well stick and bleached ends will end up red or pink for a good while.
A permanent box dye is not recommended over henna, though I have used one over bleach.
Instead of trying to find a box dye that matches one or other parts of your hair (as the colour will still be different due to what's underneath it) I would pick one of an ashy brown. The "ash" bit should balance out the orange.

If you want to avoid more dye (probably wise) use a purple shampoo or blue food coluring in water as a toning rinse. This will fade it down gradually. If you leave the blue rinse on for 10 minutes or so before washing out, it will be quicker. I have no suggestions from prom hairstyles, sorry.

Good luck

Isilme
April 23rd, 2014, 09:46 AM
I would get a semi permanent dye, the kind that is said to wash out in about 20 washes. Try and get something as close as possible to the colour you had before the ombre. Provided your henna is pure there should be no problem dyeing over henna. You can choose if you want to use it over the bleached part or your whole head.