PDA

View Full Version : Did the SMT, and...

Orcasprt
September 15th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Nothing. No difference. My hair is still dry and nasty. Does this mean I'm lacking protien, then? And if so, what are some good treatments?

Ugh. Be SOFT, darnet! :mad:

Xanthippe
September 15th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Hmm. So, what did you use for the SMT? How exactly is your hair "nasty" ? Is it crunchy or does it feel like it has build up? Is it fluffy? When you pull on a strand, does it break off easily? What routine did you have before? I see you are a wavy like me. Are you trying to make your hair straighter?

Maybe if you describe a bit more then someone will be able to suggest something :flower:

Orcasprt
September 15th, 2008, 01:44 PM
It's really dry and brittle. If I run my fingers through it, I can easily take hair by the root with me. Um..if I stretch a hair out it won't bounce back, it just stretches and will eventually break.

For the SMT I used 1 pt honey, 1pt aloe gel, 4pts VO5 Vitamin conditioner with vitamin B in it. I left it in for an hour and rinsed with cold water.

My hair (past my ears, anyway) is fluffy and even frizzes out. The hair closest to my scalp is the nicest. I used to shampoo and condition every day, now I CWC every other day, comb it gently and let it air dry. My hair is more curly than wavy but once I comb it out it gets fluffy and frizzy. I have a Boar bristle brush that I use as well.

I'm not trying to make it straighter, I like my curls, I just want it to be healthier than it is now. Any help is appreciated, haha.

FrannyG
September 15th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Maybe you need to clarify your hair before you apply a moisture treatment. If you have a lot of buildup, your hair can feel brittle, and at the same time, it can't soak up the moisture.

heidi w.
September 15th, 2008, 02:23 PM
why did you rinse with cold water?

VO5 .. I think....has protein in it.....

heidi w.

nienna42
September 15th, 2008, 02:32 PM
It might take more than one SMT to really make a difference. It did for me.

Orcasprt
September 15th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Thanks everyone! I clarified my hair a few washes ago with suave clarifying shampoo. I rinsed with cold water because I heard it helps to lay the hair flat and adds more shine. Is that wrong?

Also, how do I know a product has protien in it? This didn't have any milk/soy products in it, so what would I be looking for on the bottle?

For any other wavy haired people on here, what has worked with your hair?

Thanks again! :cheese:

Brianna
September 15th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Rinsing with cold water can make hair shiner, as I've heard, but, correct me if I'm wrong, it's supposed to be more of a finishing rinse, after rinsing all the product out with warm water.

I'm wavy, and I don't really do SMTs, so one of my favourite hair treatments/leave-ins is Fox's Shea Butter Conditioning Cream. It makes my hair very very soft. :)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=4586

Orcasprt
September 15th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Thank you, I'll be giving that a try! :)

Ohio Sky
September 15th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Thanks everyone! I clarified my hair a few washes ago with suave clarifying shampoo. I rinsed with cold water because I heard it helps to lay the hair flat and adds more shine. Is that wrong?

Also, how do I know a product has protien in it? This didn't have any milk/soy products in it, so what would I be looking for on the bottle?

For any other wavy haired people on here, what has worked with your hair?

Thanks again! :cheese:

SMT worked pretty well for me, but it also depends on the conditioner. (!) VO5 worked well for me but it may not for some.

My hair loves to be clarified with that VO5 Vanilla Mint tea for some reason (and it's the partner condish I use when I use VO5)

I can't use that condish on a regular basis because it's not moisturizing enough for me. I usually end up going back to cones because I have yet to find a cone free condish that is moisturizing enough to use long term but I recently discovered Giovanni and that is working well.

Also- have you tried oiling? My hair adores coconut oil.

Hope that helps!

ETA: I always leave an SMT in overnight. makes a world of difference how long you leave it in, too.

Anje
September 15th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Well, if your hair just stretches and stretches, it might indeed benefit from a protein treatment. Among commercial products, I think you want to look for a "reconstructor" or some such thing. Other folks around here have raved about Hask henna and placenta as a protein treatment, though I haven't tried it myself. Eggs are another way to go (you do want the white, which is the protein-y part), but they're definitely messy, and you want to rinse them out with cool water.

Follow your protein treatment right away with moisture (like another SMT) as it's likely to make your hair dry and very strange, despite its benefits.

twilight_faerie
September 15th, 2008, 03:56 PM
This thread is chock full o' info about protein, and how to tell if you hair needs it:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=10916

I think there's also a thread floating around somewhere with the ingredients to look for if you wanna know if your condish contains protein, but I don't know off the top of my head where it is.

GlassEyes
September 15th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Yeah, VO5 has protien in it. It's one of the reasons why SMT started hating me for a bit.Most common bottles anyway, Sun Kissed raspberry doesn't. I think. And Free-Me Freesia.

Since you sound more like you need moisture, you probably have too much protein. Try it again with something else, I recommend Suave.

twilight_faerie
September 15th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Yeah, VO5 has protien in it. It's one of the reasons why SMT started hating me for a bit.Most common bottles anyway, Sun Kissed raspberry doesn't. I think. And Free-Me Freesia.

Since you sound more like you need moisture, you probably have too much protein. Try it again with something else, I recommend Suave.

I'm certain not *all* VO5 conditioners contain protein...but I can't remember which ones do and which ones don't. Man, I wish I could find that post that contained all the proteiny ingredients. I think I'm gonna have to go on a bit of a treasure hunt and see if I can find it.

FrannyG
September 15th, 2008, 05:26 PM
No, all VO5 conditioners do not have protein, but look for "silk" extracts in the ingredients. That's a silk protein. A lot of people have trouble with that one.

Kirin
September 15th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Check the ingredients, not all, and actually very few V05's have protein. The key ingredient to look for is Panthenol, and because you stated the one you used had vit b, I can guarentee you there's protein in it (panthenol is a huge offender).

Personally SMT's never worked for me mainly because my hair doesn't seem to like either Honey, or, aloe vera gel in that much amounts.

I would try a clarifying shampoo (not suave, it contains dimithicone), and a deep conditioner of some type. I personally like cholesterol treatments, but some don't as they contain mineral oil.

twilight_faerie
September 15th, 2008, 06:07 PM
...Wow. After checking the ingredients of most of the VO5 conditioners, it looks like they *ALL* contain protein, with SKR as the sole exception.

This is incredibly disturbing to me.

Kirin
September 15th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Panthenol is not in itself protein (its a B vitimin)..... however hair often reacts badly to it. It is supposed to strengthen hair, and "nourish" it, however it can make hair somewhat "snappy"

Katze
September 15th, 2008, 11:49 PM
I'm a wavy and I love SMT. Just did one last night, left it on while soaking in the tub. Mmmm!

My BF's hair is a lot like yours in color and waviness and thickness, (I'd call that 2c-3a, iii, he's also F) and SMTs work very well on him. They do seem to pull his ringlets a bit straighter because they are not so fluffy and poofy anymore, but hang in real, smooth spirals.

For both of us, SMT makes our hair soft and shiny...but I also use natural deep conditioners, not drugstore ones.

Another thing is your aloe. You mention gel...could there have been something else in it? I prefer aloe juice (the kind that, here, is sold as 100% aloe) in my SMTs, as the gel has glycerin and a lot of other things in it. The glycerin-containing gel I save for a hair gel.

hth!

ladyshannonanne
September 16th, 2008, 12:32 AM
If I might make a suggestion . . .

I'm a wavy, and I thought I had frizzy, dry hair until I stopped brushing my hair. This has made a huge difference for me. I don't brush at all. To avoid tangles, I keep my hair up most of the time and run my fingers through it when I'm washing it. Other than that, I keep my hands and all tools of of my hair.

My hair is now just wavy. It's pretty well defined and it barely gets frizzy.

Good luck!

aisling
September 16th, 2008, 03:46 AM
An SMT has never done anything good to me, my hair doesn't like honey and that could be the culprit. I prefer a simple commercial treatment, nothing kitchen witchy :) Also, if your ends are really dry, one treatment is not nearly enough. Hair care and hair growing usually requires patience, it's a long time project.

Monsterkitti
September 16th, 2008, 04:11 AM
Ive just done my second SMT and it does feel better the 2nd time around, maybe have another go? That or you just might not get on with Honey?

Im a curly and my hair hates being brushed. I finger comb only, I havent used a comb or brush in the time ive been on LHC and my hair has never felt so nice and unfrizzy. I dont know how tangley your hair is but minimising brushing might help the feel and frizz.