PDA

View Full Version : The awkward stage of growing fairytale ends

Flor
April 22nd, 2014, 02:54 AM
I would like to see how my hair would look like with fairy tale ends, but I can't get past the awkward stage of when the hemline begins to look slightly uneven, but more in this unkempt and "need a trim" way. Like when the variation of length is only half an inch to an inch and it just looks like I'm not taking care of it (which usually happens every 3-4 months for me and then I trim half an inch). I figure the true fairy tale ends mostly consist of virgin uncut hair, meaning the ends are tapered and not only they're different length, but also each individual hair strand is narrowed down at the very end. Those curl/wave better, clump together and end up looking right. Obviously, to get there, it would require the absolute no-trims vow.

If you have fairy tale ends, did you have to go through an awkward stage when you really wanted to trim? I suppose if it's been layered previously, then the process should be easier. But I don't like the shorter-on-top layered look either. I want the length gradation to be all over the place, including the lower layers. I was thinking about possibly trying blending shears... Or maybe I'd just need to stick to no trims for a year and see what happens.

If it helps, my hair is about BSL. Maybe it's not long enough to pull off fairytale ends anyway, without it looking like it's got very short terminal length or been fried and that's why I'm finding it difficult to leave it alone?

cranberrymoonz
April 22nd, 2014, 04:56 AM
I think you're right and your hair is probably not long enough yet to look good in fairytale ends. My advice is to let your hair be, hide the scissors, wear it up, and see how it looks when it is between MBL and waist. S&Ding would enhance the taper.

I don't have any fairytale ends myself, though. (mainly because it doesn't look that great on my straight hair)

Andeee
April 22nd, 2014, 05:00 AM
I think you've just got to let it grow now like cranberrymoonz said. No trims (except for S and D) for a long time!

Rosa Harris
April 22nd, 2014, 05:04 AM
Mine has been growing a long time and I grew it from bald with no trims and that is how it got the way it is below.
It's a million different lengths.

Andeee
April 22nd, 2014, 05:23 AM
My almost tbl hair is fairy-tailed because I lost a *lot* of hair due to extreme anemia a few years ago. It was maybe about hip length at the time. I got a massive trim--maybe about a foot off. Maybe a another trim since then and so now the bottom 6 inches or so are much thinner than the rest (new growth is somewhere between mbl and waist). I haven't had a trim now for a year and half or more.

Marika
April 22nd, 2014, 07:27 AM
I never got past that awkward stage because my hair is straight :( At one time I didn't trim my hair for 2+ years but I never got those pretty fairytale ends like wavies do (I was at hip-tailbone length back then). It just looked like I didn't take care of my hair (which obviously wasn't even true besides lack of trimming). I'm really lazy with trimming but I've come to accept that I need to trim my hair every once in a while (1-2 times a year) because I'm not going to get the look I want with just benign neglect. So bye bye "fairytale ends" and welcome a slight U-shape cut! :p

Rosa Harris
April 22nd, 2014, 07:35 AM
Weird thing my Mom told me - long time ago women would hang inverted and then have their hair cut blunt upside down.. this results in the natural growth look or what folks seem to be calling fairytale here. This is because the shortest hair cut that way would be the closer to the top of the head and the longer hair further away from the head.

I have not tried it. She was trying to talk me into it at the time but at the time I was stuck on a blunt hemline. Now that I am stuck on a fairytale she wants to cut it blunt - go figgure. lol

ravenheather
April 22nd, 2014, 07:35 AM
My hair is awkward right now. I love fairytale ends on waist or longer hair. Right now at bsl not so much. I am just putting it up and ignoring it.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7454/11422884573_6f321f46b2.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/ippgBK)Fairytales (https://flic.kr/p/ippgBK) by KailaMama (https://www.flickr.com/people/47809319@N06/), on Flickr

threadOfGold
April 22nd, 2014, 07:52 AM
How exactly do you go about growing fairytale ends? :confused: some tips and knowledge needed please!!:)

queenovnight
April 22nd, 2014, 08:20 AM
Here's a photo of my hair from a while back. I was a bit passed BSL. That's my natural hemline. Soon after taking this photo, I cut my hair, giving myself a blunt line. I personally only like fairy tale ends on TBL + hair. Anywho, this was my awkward moment. I love my natural hemline, but im waiting till I reach TBL to let it shine. - I trim my hair once a month to maintain my current hemline. - Actually. I'm going to add a photo of my hair currently too (haven't done my monthly trim, so you can see where my ends are starting to grow out again.)

Sorry for the bad quality! It's old and I can't find the original photo Lol.

http://i59.tinypic.com/zkgy6u.jpg

http://i58.tinypic.com/ok8ys3.jpg

threadOfGold,
Honestly, I think that the best fairytale ends are natural. Some of our hair just grows out all crazy Lol.

Rosa Harris
April 22nd, 2014, 01:30 PM
No idea how to get them... just started growing out hair and did not trim at all - ever - after started growing it. Mostly wear it in a bun. Honestly, I was not paying attention to it much at all. I know that don't help. My son's was also from grade A neglect as he calls it tho his was much fuller and hung in golden ringlets. The only method I know to cut it anyway similar is the upside down thing my mom said but I have no idea how that will look and I can't find any real examples online - just one short hair vid of a guy doing something he calls 'upside down' but Mom said they would lay their heads off the side of the bed so that they were really upside down. In theory in my head it works. It would be lots and lots of diferent lengths as if ut grew out from bald naturally - or so it seems.

Night_Kitten
April 22nd, 2014, 01:40 PM
How exactly do you go about growing fairytale ends? :confused: some tips and knowledge needed please!!:)

From what I understand you just stop trimming the ends and let the hair grow untrimmed, that way eventually (after a few months or years, depending on hair type, growth patterns and probably other factors) you get a gradual taper to the hemline instead of all the ends creating a single sharp line like after a trim.

I think it's possible to "fake" fairytale ends with long layers cut by a good stylist / hairdresser who knows what real fairytale ends look like, but it's probably hard to find such a stylist or hairdresser...

Larki
April 22nd, 2014, 01:42 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure you exclusively do S&D, no trimming, and eventually you just get fairytale ends. I think they look amazing on curly and wavy hair. There's a thread on here somewhere called "Show me your fairytale ends!" that is amazing.

Anabell
April 22nd, 2014, 02:10 PM
If you want a good base for fairy tail ends maybe a V hemline will help? Try the feya self trim method. It does what layers do but without the short layer. Also S&D could help a lot to enhance/maintain fairy tale end.

Aderyn
April 22nd, 2014, 02:11 PM
I think the best way to combat that awkward stage is to just wear it up all of the time.

My ends are starting to fairytale, but the curls at the ends of my hair disguise the uneven hemline quite well, so it's really not something I think about.

Madora
April 22nd, 2014, 02:53 PM
Personally, I just let my hair grow, kept it up all the time (braided) and only S and D'd to minimize any splits I found. It is helpful to be very patient and be willing to wait for at least 4 years for growth. Also, the pattern of hair growth may affect whether your ftends are longer on one side than the other side.

Tini'sNewHair
April 23rd, 2014, 12:30 AM
That is exactly how my hair grew @queenovnight - I also decided to go for the blunt hemline because i didnt like the whispy ends at all but also I had started off with a blunt cut anyway (first huge chop was at shoulder length, see my siggy). It took me two years of no trims but even then my hair wasnt much of a fairytale tho, I had just a slight U shape by the time i reached MBL so it depends on your hair, which grows faster and which dosnt... you might have to encourage that with a V cut otherwise....

Zebra Fish
April 23rd, 2014, 12:57 AM
I have fairy tale ends, but I got them totally unplanned. Around january last year, after a bad episode with a hairdresser, I was at bsl, think it was U shape hemline. Then I started selftrimming. At first, I did few mm every month, but after 2-3 months I decided to go to 1 cm every 3 months, and I used the V shape from Feye. Actually, I would split my hair in two (as instructed) and try to find the position for my head to "align" as much my ends in front before cutting (so I haven't decided which position I would take, as instructed to get more or less V shape, I would just try to find which one fits best for my hair at that moment). I would S&D in between. Keep it up most of the time. So now I'm at almost waist (or maybe am already at waist) with my fairy tale ends. I like how it looks, but everyone else is nagging I need to cut coz my hair is ruined and I'm gonna become bald if I don't trim it to an even hemline and bla bla... My hair is in a good state, I just think people are not used to how hair looks like when it is growing, they think if I cut it shorter it will grow all one length (well yeah, I started from there :p) My plan is to go to june and then keep it there with regular trims until I get as thicker hemline before going on.

The awkward stage - really can't help there, coz I was keeping hair up most of the time.

Not sure if I helped, but that's how I got them, with no planning at all ;)

Flor
April 23rd, 2014, 01:31 AM
Ok, guys, what do you think of this?

http://i61.tinypic.com/24yw8cg.jpg

I decided to try the v-shape cut (and now I wish I took a before pic... damn!). I didn't take much off at all and the longest length is preserved, but I think it did the trick somewhat. I oiled the ends a fair bit there, to make them clump together, instead of fluffing up (like mine tend to do after being in a braid overnight, I really should start oiling that tassel). I think I might now be able to stay away from trimming for a long while. I guess I just wanted the look where the ends being uneven would appear intentional and not a result of insufficient hair care.

Thank you so much for the advice! :) I'm happy now! :o

Rosa Harris
April 23rd, 2014, 02:13 AM
Ok, guys, what do you think of this?

http://i61.tinypic.com/24yw8cg.jpg

I decided to try the v-shape cut (and now I wish I took a before pic... damn!). I didn't take much off at all and the longest length is preserved, but I think it did the trick somewhat. I oiled the ends a fair bit there, to make them clump together, instead of fluffing up (like mine tend to do after being in a braid overnight, I really should start oiling that tassel). I think I might now be able to stay away from trimming for a long while. I guess I just wanted the look where the ends being uneven would appear intentional and not a result of insufficient hair care.

Thank you so much for the advice! :) I'm happy now! :o
Love it! Looks totally awesome.

Zebra Fish
April 23rd, 2014, 03:23 AM
Nice :D I think it won't be long till you get them :p