PDA

View Full Version : Question about self-trimming and microtrimming

Larki
April 21st, 2014, 06:29 PM
A while ago, I tried Feye's self-trim method and failed miserably. I ended up with a huge chunk of the left side being two inches shorter than everything else. :( I was thinking, would it work well if I divided my hair in half (like I was going to do pigtails) over each shoulder and trimmed each half separately?

Also, I've seen some of you talking about microtrimming, and it seems to be useful for keeping the hemline nice and thick for fine/thin hair. What exactly is it, though? How much do you trim, and how often? I was thinking maybe 1/2 an inch every three months or so, would that work?

vindo
April 21st, 2014, 07:05 PM
I started micro trimming and documenting the progress in early '07 and was very pleased with the results. I had tapered ends from a year of growing layered hair without trims and I saw results within six months. There are different ways of micro trimming. I have tried many. For very fast thickening results trimming all monthly growth off is best for example. But recently I also skipped a month and trimmed only every second month to gain a bit of length.
I wrote a blog post about some other benefits of microtrimming a few years back too :) : http://longhairedatheart.blogspot.de/2010/03/even-hemline-without-loosing-length.html

Feye's Method - I find it very helpful to comb back all hair and not have it parted, and to make sure I neither look down nor up..just the way I would naturally hold my head. I have always had great results with the method. I also like to use an elastic. This is how I do it basically: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWRJ57j1AyI
The video is a few years old but it shows how I try to stand very straight :lol:...

HTH! :flower:

woodswanderer
April 21st, 2014, 07:06 PM
I tried Feye's method years ago and failed myself so don't feel like you are the only one (fwiw)

Syren_Curls
April 21st, 2014, 08:54 PM
I have to say, I'm still trying to work up the courage to do a self trim, even a microtrim. Kudos to you for doing it and for trying to make sure you get it right! And that goes for everyone who self-trims!

As for what microtrim actually is... my understanding is that it's just a dusting off the very ends of your hair, maybe 1/4 inch or less, so that it just looks like there's dust on the floor when you're done. I believe you can do the same method as a self-trim, but taking off less.

schnibbles
April 22nd, 2014, 06:45 AM
When I microtrim I take off a few centimeters. Emichiee's video is very helpful, I watched it before I started microtrimming.
I do a combo of Feye's and Spidermom's just to make sure it's even...but I take so little, it probably wouldn't be very obvious if it wasn't. :shrug:

Syren_Curls
April 22nd, 2014, 04:32 PM
I do a combo of Feye's and Spidermom's just to make sure it's even...but I take so little, it probably wouldn't be very obvious if it wasn't. :shrug:

Do you have a link to Spidermom's technique, by any chance? I'm trying to see as many different approaches as I can to help me feel more comfortable about it :-)

schnibbles
April 22nd, 2014, 04:55 PM
Do you have a link to Spidermom's technique, by any chance? I'm trying to see as many different approaches as I can to help me feel more comfortable about it :-)

Hi Syren! We discussed Spidermom's method fairly recently in this thread, (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=121998) on page 2.
Basically, this is how I do it..... I divide my hair, parted in the middle, as if I'd be making pigtails. Taking care to make sure it's divided evenly at the back of the head also. (this is key) Making a single ponytail under the chin (which looks hilarious, BTW) with an elastic, working the elastic down to the ends, stopping where I'll be cutting. If you have a taper, you can tighten the elastic again as you slide it down to ensure it's staying nice and tight to the hair.

I think Spidermom uses a children's hard page book as sort of a Crea-Clip, too...but I have never tried that because I don't cut enough at one time. (maybe Spidermom will see this and chime in?)
I hope this helps!
You can totally do it....just go slow and steady. I'm sure you'll be better at trimming your own hair than half of the hairstylists I have personally encountered. ;)

Larki
April 22nd, 2014, 05:26 PM
Basically, this is how I do it..... I divide my hair, parted in the middle, as if I'd be making pigtails. Taking care to make sure it's divided evenly at the back of the head also. (this is key) Making a single ponytail under the chin (which looks hilarious, BTW) with an elastic, working the elastic down to the ends, stopping where I'll be cutting. If you have a taper, you can tighten the elastic again as you slide it down to ensure it's staying nice and tight to the hair.

This sounds like it would easier for me to do successfully, thank you! Does this result in blunt ends?

Syren_Curls
April 22nd, 2014, 05:43 PM
Hi Syren! We discussed Spidermom's method fairly recently in this thread, (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=121998) on page 2.

I think Spidermom uses a children's hard page book as sort of a Crea-Clip, too...but I have never tried that because I don't cut enough at one time. (maybe Spidermom will see this and chime in?)
I hope this helps!
You can totally do it....just go slow and steady. I'm sure you'll be better at trimming your own hair than half of the hairstylists I have personally encountered. ;)

Hi schnibbles! Thank you for the thread link and also for your own method too! Also, thanks for doing that so quickly!

Your method does sound easier and, somehow, like I can be in more control... which is what I think has me too freaked out to self-trim, lol. Thanks so much :-)

rachel1031
April 22nd, 2014, 11:37 PM
I started micro trimming and documenting the progress in early '07 and was very pleased with the results. I had tapered ends from a year of growing layered hair without trims and I saw results within six months. There are different ways of micro trimming. I have tried many. For very fast thickening results trimming all monthly growth off is best for example. But recently I also skipped a month and trimmed only every second month to gain a bit of length.
I wrote a blog post about some other benefits of microtrimming a few years back too :) : http://longhairedatheart.blogspot.de/2010/03/even-hemline-without-loosing-length.html

Feye's Method - I find it very helpful to comb back all hair and not have it parted, and to make sure I neither look down nor up..just the way I would naturally hold my head. I have always had great results with the method. I also like to use an elastic. This is how I do it basically: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWRJ57j1AyI
The video is a few years old but it shows how I try to stand very straight :lol:...

HTH! :flower:

I appreciated this link. I have a hair appointment in a week and was on the fence about whether to trim or not (I am not courageous enough to self trim). Your post convinced me to straighten up the hem line. Your hair is gorgeous!

SleepyTangles
April 23rd, 2014, 03:48 AM
I love spidermom method! Very easy to get right.

It results in a even, blunt U shape. I prefer to not slide the elastic all the way down, because I like my U hemline to be a bit deeper. Sliding all the way down makes a soft U shape, nothing overly dramatic.

vindo
April 26th, 2014, 07:33 PM
I appreciated this link. I have a hair appointment in a week and was on the fence about whether to trim or not (I am not courageous enough to self trim). Your post convinced me to straighten up the hem line. Your hair is gorgeous!

Thank you! :) I'm glad I was able to help! <3