PDA

View Full Version : I chopped it off... Sooo sad. But it was for the best..

Marbid
April 21st, 2014, 05:29 PM
Sooooo..

i got the guts to cut my hair from hip + to mid back length.. ( i can still do a cina bun) stretched.. ( i dont wana know how short its going to look curly..

I will prob have it in a bun 24/7 for the next year.. Till I feel confident enough with it down..

soooo here is what happened..

Before i joined lhc... I trimmed my hair to waist length + at the time... Because i knew my ends where ultra damaged from wearing it down, and curly and tangled and daily washing because curls demanded it. But i really did not want to loose my length.. So trim i did.. The canopy, i felt i could cut more, it was much more damaged than the under layer, and i could cut it without loosing length... So...

I ended up with a length of 27" and a random blunt layer at mid back length... You can see the demarcation line in my profile home picture of the straight across layer..

The thing is.. I hate s&d... I tried a ton of times to do it.. I just hate it.. And i also felt it was not going to help take the splits that where developing on that layer... I suppose i could maintain and let it catch up.. But as the random layer was trying to catch up... It would keep getting splits... And it was ultra hard to micro trim that random layer..

in the end.. I really really really wanted a blunt hemline i can just micro trim... Guess my desire for a blunt and full hemline beat the apprehension towards loosing length..

i'm sad now.. Dont want to look at my hair for a while... Lets pretend its still happily long. But i got all my hairs the same length... And i can monitor the ends better now... I can still stuff them in a cina bun soo i can hide from the shortness... In a year and a half.... I should be back to hip length + and this time... I should have a very healthy and full hemline...

Still...... It feels soooooooo short now. Thank god for buns... I can deceive myself...

lapushka
April 21st, 2014, 06:06 PM
Well as long as you're happy with it - that's the only thing that really counts! And you desperately wanted a blunt hemline, it seems, so... No harm done. It will grow back! And you can still do your favorite updo, so that's nice.

MiaBeth
April 21st, 2014, 06:51 PM
That took courage -- but I think you're right ... trimming all one length hair will be so much easier. It'll grow fast!

kganihanova
April 21st, 2014, 07:00 PM
For real though, blunt hemline is awesome and it grows fast.

Aingeal
April 21st, 2014, 08:55 PM
I'm sure you did what was best. I can't wait to see you with a nice, blunt hemline! Its going to be beautiful!

starlamelissa
April 21st, 2014, 09:09 PM
s&d is just the worst! blunt healthy ends are the bees knees.

Marbid
April 21st, 2014, 09:17 PM
I hope so... I still feel a bit teary.. I trimmed off a whole 7 inches. I went an inch above the layer, to make sure i got it all.. But 7 inches is hard to swallow.. I thought i could maintain and get rid of it little by little, but since i am not able to trim the layer... It would just split. And the splits would inch up.. And it would eventually just cause a whole bunch of random splits all over my hair even after it caught up..

With a blunt hemline, i can monitor my ends much better... And trim and grow slowly so that i dont have to play catch up as much with the shorter hairs.. Its for the best i believe.. I'm just not one to s&d.. I'm farsighted enough as it is, wearing glasses while doing that is a huge head ache.

I really needed encouragement... Approval you know... Others opinion that i might have done right.. I had been thinking about it for some time.. But did not dare.. I just did it today without time to question my thoughts... Sooo far, i don't think i will regret it.. As long as i dont think about the year and a half its going to take me to get back to where i was.

Syren_Curls
April 21st, 2014, 09:25 PM
Kudos to you for doing that! It's something I have been thinking about for similar reasons over the last several weeks. I do believe you did it for the best and I think your hair will grow more quickly and beautifully as a result :-)

Marbid
April 21st, 2014, 10:02 PM
Before....

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4/b_s_marbid/imagejpg1_zps19dc35b5.jpg

You can see the line of layer right in the middle.. Even on fluffy brushed out hair.. Very awkward and ugly single layer.. Smack in the midle.. All because i did not want to loose all my length..

After ( straightened and then heavily oiled because i felt bad about it.. But it is the only way to get an accurate self made blunt haircut )

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4/b_s_marbid/imagejpg1_zpsab45b6d6.jpg

Its very short yeah... But i will get it all back and better than before.

CurlyCap
April 21st, 2014, 11:28 PM
In the future, perhaps remember that the shorter layer can be blended in so that it falls more naturally with the longer lengths? Then the ends can be maintained with a Diva Cut or clump by clump cut. It doesn't fix your problem of not have a single hemline to maintain, but just in case you ever have a shed or a faster growing layer, it can save length.

Hair grows back pronto, and 1.5 years flies by. Remind yourself how much more your know about caring for your hair now than a year ago, and how much more you'll know by the time your hair grows back. You'll be rocking hip length before you know it.

ErinLeigh
April 21st, 2014, 11:51 PM
I think the blunt hemline is going to be so much better to work with. It is going to grow back strong and healthy. I the cut looks wonderful so I hope you can just enjoy it. You have the hemline you want and the length you desire is going to come before you know it :)

Flor
April 22nd, 2014, 12:11 AM
It's the glass half-full or glass half-empty situation :) All depends on what you decide to focus on. In any case, if you have some doubts or regrets, it can't be undone now, so not much point in stressing about it. Just accept it as a done deal and focus on the positive sides, as there are plenty! :)

Btw, if you let yourself, you might just love your current length and the feel of the blunt hemline ;) I bet it'll look gorgeous with the natural curl you have.

Marbid
April 22nd, 2014, 10:08 AM
Thank you guys... I already love he blunt hemline... Not so much the length... I keep acting as if my hair is still long and then become surprised that i ran out of hair sooo soon when i'm making a cina bun.

But yeah.. If i encounter a heavy shed i will maintain right then and there.. If i find that i have a bit of hair that grow faster than the rest.. I will slow down my hair growth.. So that it matches my more slow growing hairs.. Point is.. I'll try to maintain the blunt ends.. While many people like fairy tale ends.. Or layers... I have never liked having hair of different lengths, ive had layers before.. To a v end, they said it was a good cut for curly hair, looked nice, but i just did not like it, felt all over the place how i would have curls short and long... And my braiding skills are really tailored to blunt ends.

Thanks for your support guys.. A year does fly by... Its already been 6 months or soo since i joined here.. Feels like yesterday.

SleepyTangles
April 22nd, 2014, 10:37 AM
I'm sorry you've had to sacrifice a lot of lenght :(! On the brighter side, your blunt hemline looks amazing: no need to "hide" it 24/7 in my opinion, it looks very cute and with unbrushed curls it will be stunning :)!

I'm not overly fond of S&d, too, it just can't take care of big amounts of damage...

Lucky_Lucy
April 22nd, 2014, 11:37 AM
I can imagine how you feel after losing all that length but I think your hair looks amazing, and you now have healthy ends and the blunt hemline you wanted so badly. It may take you a while but your hair will grow and now it will be just as you want it :) don't feel discouraged x