PDA

View Full Version : Phony reviews on Amazon beware!

pri108
April 21st, 2014, 04:35 PM
Hi friends,

Just something I came across recently I thought Id share. I was looking for oils and decided to read what others had to say about certain products.

I found that many reviews don't sound like they are real.
Things I was looking for:
The first thing that helped me spot one is: vague and cliche things: I loved this product would definitely recommend it/ My mum also uses this and i use too/ (definitely look for other reviews made from the same person.)

Other reviews made from the reviewer - if they have only made 2 reviews on one day and have no other history, i suspect they were paid for it.
Or one comment saying positive about one brand and negative about a competing brand.
Time and date of other reviews: if all on same day it looks suspicious.
the kind of products the reviewer posts reviews on, does it look convincing that it is a real person.
Review history: I found one that said about 3 different products 2-3 months apart of each other, the same statement: "I had tried everything possible but nothing worked until i finally found this product. now i will never switch!" If one says this about one product this month and swears to stick to it, then say the same thing about another after a couple of months and about a 3rd one again after a couple of months sounds like the person either has bad memory, or is being paid for these reviews.

I found that reviews from a lot of amazon verified purchases also looked fake.

So in case you rely too much on reviews know that many are fake.

Aderyn
April 21st, 2014, 04:52 PM
Not just on Amazon, but anywhere, really, and for any product you come across.

When I'm reading reviews, I look for the lengthy, in depth reviews. I also go straight to the critical reviews, too. I suspect this is the case for people who rely on reviews, it's a bit more complicated then just the 5 star rating.

Not that the short reviews or the positive reviews are automatically fake (they aren't), but I tend to get a lot of valuable information out of the above reviews. Also helps when the people reviewing have reviewed many products in the past.

Lucky_Lucy
April 21st, 2014, 05:08 PM
Not just on Amazon, but anywhere, really, and for any product you come across.

When I'm reading reviews, I look for the lengthy, in depth reviews. I also go straight to the critical reviews, too. I suspect this is the case for people who rely on reviews, it's a bit more complicated then just the 5 star rating.

Not that the short reviews or the positive reviews are automatically fake (they aren't), but I tend to get a lot of valuable information out of the above reviews. Also helps when the people reviewing have reviewed many products in the past.

^This. I agree, you have to be careful about reviews anywhere, and the lengthy ones not only must be real, but tend to offer more information than shorter ones :) I always write lengthy reviews.

chen bao jun
April 21st, 2014, 05:18 PM
I am especially careful about reviews for sellers on ebay.