PDA

View Full Version : Spin Pins are Popular

tetisheri72
April 21st, 2014, 08:30 AM
http://www.buzzfeed.com/peggy/easy-hairstyles-with-spin-pins

Wildcat Diva
April 21st, 2014, 08:37 AM
Gah, the muggles are learning all our secrets!

Laurenji
April 21st, 2014, 08:55 AM

My thoughts exactly, lol.

Liv
April 21st, 2014, 09:54 AM
Loooooove spin pins - the only way I can make a bun stay, the only hair toys my hair does not spit out. :toast:

tetisheri72
April 21st, 2014, 09:59 AM

Maybe they are just LHCers who don't know about us yet.

Hootenanny
April 21st, 2014, 10:01 AM

Hahahhaaha!

Also, how did they do number 10? I want a beehive!

Laurenji
April 21st, 2014, 10:12 AM
Also, how did they do number 10? I want a beehive!

Also what I want to know. I think you can only do it with short (by LHC standards) hair, like APL or so, because it looks like they just stuffed their hair into itself. I think I have way too much hair to do that.

Hootenanny
April 21st, 2014, 10:19 AM
Also what I want to know. I think you can only do it with short (by LHC standards) hair, like APL or so, because it looks like they just stuffed their hair into itself. I think I have way too much hair to do that.

Yeah, I thought the same thing. My hair's not even that long, but I think if I stuffed it all in there, my head would look like one of the aliens from the Alien movies.

Hootenanny
April 21st, 2014, 10:19 AM
Double post.

tetisheri72
April 21st, 2014, 10:26 AM
Loooooove spin pins - the only way I can make a bun stay, the only hair toys my hair does not spit out. :toast:

I really need to get some.

chen bao jun
April 21st, 2014, 10:32 AM
I thought mine weren't working anymore. then I tried inserting horizontally instead of vertically and love them again.

sarahthegemini
April 21st, 2014, 11:17 AM
I wish I could get them to work :(

Andeee
April 21st, 2014, 11:18 AM
Yes I am loving them, too! My almost TBL hair is now too long for my extra large claw clip (has been for quite a while) so I now do a nautilus held with 3 or 4 spin pins (honestly, 3 is plenty, but my job is really active so I like the extra security of 4). I sort of put them in at angles all around the bun.

eadwine
April 21st, 2014, 11:45 AM
I wish I could get them to work :(

How are you inserting them?

PurpleSunshine
April 21st, 2014, 11:49 AM
I started with 2 spin pins, then bought another 2. Then they went on sale for half off, so I bought another 6. I love them so much.

sarahthegemini
April 21st, 2014, 11:52 AM
How are you inserting them?

I tried inserting them at different angles, horizontally and vertically and it just won't hold. I'm wondering if it's due to my hair texture? (thin, fine, very slippy)

RainbowBowser
April 21st, 2014, 11:58 AM
i've been seeing more spin pins at Walmart and other places, scrunchies and claw clips are having a comeback as well.

eadwine
April 21st, 2014, 12:16 PM
I tried inserting them at different angles, horizontally and vertically and it just won't hold. I'm wondering if it's due to my hair texture? (thin, fine, very slippy)
Are you inserting them such that you are taking a wee bit of scalp hair along with each rotation?

gthlvrmx
April 21st, 2014, 01:07 PM
This one made me laugh. I can't believe I let out so many secrets to the muggles then. Spin pins are the best they really hold my hair better than hairsticks did without the pulling and tugging.

Aderyn
April 21st, 2014, 01:24 PM
I've never tried spin pins, though I'd be willing to try. I think I saw some at Walmart a few weeks ago, so they're readily available.

I actually heard of spin pins from some random YouTube person, not LHC or any long hairs, so I have a slightly different perspective and am not surprised that they are popular.

YamaMaya
April 21st, 2014, 02:03 PM
If I don't do the spin pins just right, they can really hurt, it can be frustrating at times, they also can end up making buns too tight if you're not careful. Still think they're great for holding all day though :)

woodswanderer
April 21st, 2014, 06:58 PM
I just got my first set of spin pins as a result of this thread. I have no idea why I waited. I love them. They are easy and I was able to get all my hair into a cinnabun with only 2 spin pins. I think I will get another pack to help distribute the weight a little better, but honesty the distribution isn't bad now. I think I could do flipped bun styles with 2 more pins. I'm pretty pleased because it usually takes 2 hairsticks to keep my slippery hair in place.

Brattina88
April 21st, 2014, 07:04 PM
I love spin pins. I always lose them, though :( even when I specifically put them somewhere to not lose them, I lose them. LOL

blace
April 21st, 2014, 07:50 PM
I never thought of using these for bedtime hair. I've been using a simple scrunchy bun and still have have to deal with a (rather minimal) crease when I wake up no matter how loosely I secure my hair. Can anyone think of a reason why this would be a bad idea?

Syren_Curls
April 21st, 2014, 08:37 PM
I'm very happy to see this. I just ordered a pair from Amazon a few days ago and they arrived on Saturday. Really great for cute styles in just a couple of minutes... and because it's relatively quick to do it, I won't mind if I have to redo my style once or twice throughout the day... haven't needed to so far, though.

Jumper
April 21st, 2014, 09:18 PM
I sleep with a bun held by spin pins kinda frequently and I must say I have yet to find a more comfortable way to sleep (since I refuse to wear any sort of sleep cap,spin pins really keep my hair in place).

The key is getting them into a comfy spot where you aren't laying your head right on them or else they can be kinda poky. A bun low, right at the base of my neck, is usually a good spot.

chen bao jun
April 21st, 2014, 09:19 PM
As I grew more hair, I found that inserting them vertically like I used to, they poked my head and hurt. Just the other day I tried inserting gently from the side--problem solved, hair stays up. I'm so glad. Amish pins hold my hair up too but they are not invisible (being silver) and can also poke if not put in just right.
They must be popular, I linked the article to my facebook page and my teenage girl friends are 'liking' the post. the ones who are into doing their hair. they usually ignore my hair posts (me being an old lady and out of style and all..) I have a lot of teenage girl friends on FB because I teach sunday school and they friend me and never unfriend me when they graduate from the class,w hich is kind of nice.

Budgie
April 21st, 2014, 09:30 PM

Andeee
April 22nd, 2014, 01:05 AM
Well, guess who's getting a ton of spin pins? I'm new to eBay, and I didn't know you couldn't cancel bids, so I ordered 30 spin pins from 3 different sellers. Whoops.
Whoops! Maybe you can sell them on to LHC'ers or give them out to random long haired ladies you see in the street!

zirena
April 22nd, 2014, 01:37 AM
I just ordered 2 spin pins off ebay for $2! Bargain compared to Spinnacles which are $7.95 plus shipping. Can't wait to try them out!

sarahthegemini
April 22nd, 2014, 05:40 AM
Are you inserting them such that you are taking a wee bit of scalp hair along with each rotation?

Hmm I'm not sure. I tend to pull my hair quite tightly so I'm wondering if the spin pins are 'missing' the scalp hair as it's pressed tight against my head? I'll try loosening my hair a bit!

VictorianDoll
April 22nd, 2014, 05:59 AM
I wish they were cheaper here in England, as they're about £5.50 for two pins and I'm yet to set up an eBay account or something. I'm not buying pins for that much when I'd loose them within the next week of buying them.

woodswanderer
April 24th, 2014, 07:34 PM
I'm trying to work out the best way to distribute the bun weight, but they for sure stay in better than hairsticks.

alishaxmarie
April 24th, 2014, 07:58 PM
I hate these things! No matter which angle I do them, they rip my hair! Either on the way in or the way out, despite every effort to be cautious. So I gave them to my roomie today (she's very slowly deciding to take better care of her hair and even wants to try henna!) and just sent her the link to all those styles.

emilia1992
April 25th, 2014, 05:41 AM
I saw these in Boots, for over £5, and thought, gah, I'll never be able to justify that cost. Then I went into Poundland, and, lo and behold! A pair of spin pins for, of course, £1. They are so good, although now my normal pins feel quite ostracised.