PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever...

queenovnight
April 20th, 2014, 02:19 PM
Have any of you ever felt utterly disappointed by your own goal length (once you've hit it.)?

My goal was waist length for the longest time. I hit WL a few months ago, and im not impressed. My boyfriends mother has very long hair and she's always going on about how long and pretty my hair has become.. but it feels short. I always see girls with the same length hair, and I think "So long. So pretty." But I think mine looks so incredibly short. I'm disappointed. I thought my hair would be so mystical at waist length but nope. My hair looks short still. Has anyone else ever felt this feeling? Or just me?

I might be a little cray-cray.

HairFaerie
April 20th, 2014, 02:24 PM
I used to have almost waist length hair and I ended up cutting it because it felt so short anyway. (I know, that's silly). Then, after I had it cut, I looked at the pictures and it seemed sooooooo long! AGH! When it was long, I would see people with long hair and ask my kids if mine was that long and they would look at me like I had lost my mind and would reply "Your hair is waaaaay longer than that, mom!"

So, you are not alone. It happens to me too. I think they call it "hair dysmorphia" on this forum. I think it's quite common, actually. I don't like it!

Larki
April 20th, 2014, 02:26 PM
Well, I haven't hit my goal length because I don't have a particular goal in mind. But I will say that my hair is around waist-length, and it feels and looks short to me because my hair has almost always been this length - it has varied between waist and hip, with the exception of a year or so. I have a feeling I won't think my hair is long until I hit classic, eventually. :(

Agnes Hannah
April 20th, 2014, 03:46 PM
Have any of you ever felt utterly disappointed by your own goal length (once you've hit it.)?

My goal was waist length for the longest time. I hit WL a few months ago, and im not impressed. My boyfriends mother has very long hair and she's always going on about how long and pretty my hair has become.. but it feels short. I always see girls with the same length hair, and I think "So long. So pretty." But I think mine looks so incredibly short. I'm disappointed. I thought my hair would be so mystical at waist length but nope. My hair looks short still. Has anyone else ever felt this feeling? Or just me?

I might be a little cray-cray.
it looks pretty long to me!!
You have classic symptoms of hair dysmorphia! It will pass. Enjoy your hair it really is out of this world.

umbrellabones
April 20th, 2014, 04:21 PM
I think you're totally normal. I feel like that's true for a lot of people, including myself. My original goal when I had BSL hair, was hip length. Now I'm at butt crack length and I think it's short and I want to go for classic! Remember though that people that don't have WL hair still probably think you look like Rapunzel(:

MadeiraD
April 20th, 2014, 04:23 PM
Oh I feel you on this one, my hair is TBL and I'm like "That's not long at all" (my goal was initially waist... then TBL and now it's classic)

xoChesleyy
April 20th, 2014, 04:29 PM
Maybe it would feel longer to you once you hit tbl or classic length? I dunno, it seems like a lot of people feel their hair is "short" once they get used to it, regardless of length! I wouldn't fret about it, though. Your hair looks gorgeous and long to me! And I'm sure it looks super long to those who have shorter hair. :p

Larki
April 20th, 2014, 06:03 PM
Pretty much unrelated question: why is classic called classic? It's the only length that's special, it's not just named after a body part. :confused:

Sarahlabyrinth
April 20th, 2014, 06:15 PM
Pretty much unrelated question: why is classic called classic? It's the only length that's special, it's not just named after a body part. :confused:I may be wrong but I think it is because it marks the half way point of the human body, ie; half your height, if that makes any sense.To the OP: I spend a lot of the time feeling that my hair is short, sometimes I will see someone on tv with lovely long hair and ask my SO if mine is as long as hers - he will look at me and say that mine is quite a bit longer. It's really odd.

Lady Mary
April 20th, 2014, 06:22 PM
Hair dysmorphia :agree:

Kidding, but can I just say how lovely I think your hair is?

Valkyriejae
April 20th, 2014, 06:29 PM
I'm not sure disappointed is quite the right word, but every time I get to a new body marker I think "this is it! This time, at waist/hip/BCL/TBL/whatever my hair will finally feel really long!" but then it never does.
Just hoping I feel like I've got real long hair at classic, cause I don't think I'll make it to knee!

Frozen_Farmgirl
April 20th, 2014, 06:57 PM
Haha, yes, I totally understand this feeling. I tend to look in the mirror and wish my hair could magically grow longer in an instant. But in comparison with the rest of my family my hair is pretty long. I am at waist length as well, headed toward hips.

blue_eyes
April 20th, 2014, 08:38 PM
My goal has always been waist, and I didn't realize it at the time but I did actually reach it! It definitely didn't feel that long to me at the time. Only after I had it cut to APL (due to damage) did I look back at photos and realize how long my hair actually was. It was kind of awful to realize I had reached my goal length, didn't realize it, and now had to grow it all back hahaha.

Sharysa
April 20th, 2014, 08:54 PM
My goal, like many, was waist-length. Once I got there, it still felt short; partly because I'm five feet tall, partly because my hair is thick. It's sort of feeling long at just-between-waist-and-hip. My hair's wavy, so hip-length straight is a little past waist when wavy. Maybe when I grow the next two inches, I'll be content. XD

LongHairLesbian
April 20th, 2014, 09:16 PM
My current length is just past waist, but I've been at waist many times, so it doesn't feel long to me at all. I wonder if classic will feel long enough to me... I've never been past waist, so it's unchartered territory, I don't know what I'll think. I think that part of what causes people to reconsider what "long" actually means is the hair practices LHC people tend to adopt once they've joined. If you wear you hair up all the time and are constantly learning new braids/buns, your length doesn't get in your way or get caught on things very frequently. If anything, more length just means bigger, more impressive braids/buns, and more styles to try out! :P Basically, a shift in the way you protect and care for your hair leads to a shift in the amount of hair you're able to handle. The people I know who wear their hair down and heat style regularly would view classic length hair as totally unmanageable, whereas I view it as something to look forward to. I can't wait until I have a side braid that goes down to my hips, not to mention a lovely head-eating bun. :)

spidermom
April 20th, 2014, 09:41 PM
When I reached my first goal of waist length, I was disappointed because my hair seemed to be more a pain in the butt than anything; it was hot, it was heavy, it wouldn't stay in buns. When I grew out to classic then cut back to waist length, it seemed like the best length ever. haha It's all a matter of perspective and what you get used to, I guess.

HazelBug
April 20th, 2014, 11:57 PM
My hair doesn't start feeling longish untill tbl. It still feels a bit short to me at waist. But I didn't get my first haircut untill I was around 12.

höpönasu
April 21st, 2014, 03:03 AM
My hair seems sooooooo long when it's down on my back but when it's pulled to the front... It's short! My goal was waist but I'm definitely growing longer. Because now it's not feeling long at all.
:justy:

Enrapture
April 21st, 2014, 03:30 AM
Everytime! When my hair reaches the goal, I don't feel like I achieved anything. But that happens to the most of my goals in life. I like the actual process rather than the result. When I achieve the result it feels like nothing special happened. But I don't know, maybe when my hair reaches the ultimate goal, it won't feel like it (I certainly hope so) :D

retrotussi
April 21st, 2014, 04:12 AM
I think this is kind of normal. I experienced this, too. And the same with color. I died m hair black and thought, "that´s it, my hair will looks so different and cool!" And - nothing. :D

ashke50
April 21st, 2014, 05:42 AM
Oh yes, hair dysmorphia. Initial goal when I joined was hip, which I used to have when I was at school, and looked really long in all the old photos. Reached hip, felt short. Aimed for TBL, reached TBL, felt short. Now almost at classic, and starting to feel a bit long. Still not super long, but at least it's stopped feeling short!!

eadwine
April 21st, 2014, 05:52 AM
Oh yeah I know the feeling. When I was at tailbone it was LONG. but it didn't feel that way. I couldn't pull my braid over my shoulder and have it be a braid braid you know. Also when I saw my length on other people it felt short. I was just as long! But mine wasn't that long.. was it? Nahhhh.

Back at just below BSL now and we'll see how it feels this time haha.

ARG
April 21st, 2014, 08:06 AM
I kind of dealt with this yesterday; my hair is slowly working its way out of the BSL rut I put myself into, it definitely feels short to me. That is until yesterday, I have been steadily bunning it but yesterday I was doing a bit of yard work with DH and as I was dutch braiding from crown down my arms started getting tired. As I was checking it in the mirror it suddenly hit me, I have pretty good length.

My goal has always been more of a feeling for me, I'll know when I'm there, right now I *think* it'll be hip.

bekstamonkey
April 21st, 2014, 08:27 AM
For sure. I'm at hip (almostttt tailbone! Inch or so to go). I haven't got a specific goal...just as long as it'll go. When I started, I was at BSL-MBL, and thought the same stuff - it'll be so long at waist...but when I got to waist, still felt short. Still get that feeling now at current length...except when I lay down and my head gets stuck because I've laid ontop of my hair, feels annoyingly long in those situations heheh. But I don't mind re: the hair dysmorphia. When I started out, I'd measure etc religiously...don't think I've measured in months, and that was only to post my length in inches on a post here! I'm enjoying the benefits/trials of each hair benchmark rather than fussing and fretting these days.

Syren_Curls
April 21st, 2014, 09:44 PM
For the most part, yes. One exception was one particular day when I was walking home from classes and I saw my shadow. My hair, which I had last noticed at BSL, was dangling past my elbow in my shadow and I actually had to look at it to believe it was my hair. It felt soooo looooong that day! But not so much now at TBL, partly because I'm used to it and partly because it's shorter around my face since I'm growing out bangs. And a big contributing factor is the hair dysmorphia for sure!

CurlyCap
April 21st, 2014, 11:58 PM
Now we know why ladies grow past FL. :cool:

"Well, this just doesn't feel long enough. Maybe if I growth to FLx2, it'll finally feel long." lol

darklyndsea
April 22nd, 2014, 12:01 AM
Now we know why ladies grow past FL. :cool:

"Well, this just doesn't feel long enough. Maybe if I growth to FLx2, it'll finally feel long." lol

Best explanation ever.

Rosa Harris
April 22nd, 2014, 05:36 AM
I'm just indecisive about what to measure. I mean, so part of it is just below shoulder in the front then it trails all the way down to my hips but its probably only a "handful" of strands at hip level so I can never convince myself of the length. It's like "well its pretty short without THOSE strands" or something. The only time it really feels long is when I am running around in the buff in the apartment and have it down - then my mind gets in goddess mode. LOL