PDA

View Full Version : Does this colour suit me?

Valkyriejae
April 20th, 2014, 12:11 PM
As some of you may know, I've been more seriously considering taking the henna plunge. To that end, I've used a temporary dye to turn (most) of my hair roughly the shade I would want from henna.
That said, I am awful at colour matching and fashion and the like (seriously, I've worn things that I thought were cute and then seen pictures later and realised they make my skin look the colour of the undead!)
So, I am wondering - do y'all think the red suits me? Or should I stick with the natural colour?

Here is the red (except where the dye didn't sitck AT ALL on my roots nor on some randm other chunks of hair)
http://i.imgur.com/DSGYEyg.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Di0v3Az.jpg

And here is my natural colour (ignore the weird expressions, the pic was for a casting call and I wan't allowed to smile)
http://i.imgur.com/jlaSWgo.jpg

divinedobbie
April 20th, 2014, 12:16 PM
I personally like your natural colour on you more. The red doesn't look bad but...I just like the blonde more :).

Quixii
April 20th, 2014, 12:17 PM
I think the red is fine but your natural colour suits you better. Whatever makes you happy! :)

Stiria
April 20th, 2014, 12:17 PM
I think the red suits you, but I think your natural color suits you better. I love your hair btw, it looks so soft and shiny:o

Rio040113
April 20th, 2014, 12:23 PM
Agree with everyone else to be honest, the red is lovely but your natural colour is really beautiful :)

Vampyria
April 20th, 2014, 12:35 PM
I would also say that your natural colour suits you better.

rach
April 20th, 2014, 12:45 PM
Your natural colour i think is nicer as is the side parting. You can pull off both rather well :)

Tota
April 20th, 2014, 12:45 PM
I agree with everyone else - your natural colour is beautiful and it suits you perfectly.

meteor
April 20th, 2014, 12:48 PM
Definitely your natural blonette! You look gorgeous in both, but your skin looks glowy and eyes pop more with your natural color.

Since you mentioned the concern about looking too pale, you should remember that red tones make pink / ruddy tones in the face fade and actually make the person look whiter. Darker tones also make skin look whiter. So lighter, blonder hair (that you have naturally) is actually the best color for fair skin to avoid getting washed out. I think fiery red overwhelms your beautiful features a little bit.

Else
April 20th, 2014, 12:49 PM
+1 for your natural color! I don't want to say you look younger, but it makes you look more relaxed and well-rested. Red doesn't look bad, but it makes you look older in a negative way. But to be honest without a comparison I'd say that red looks good - with a comparison: natural looks better. :)

Larki
April 20th, 2014, 01:11 PM
I prefer your natural light brown. :)

Unofficial_Rose
April 20th, 2014, 01:14 PM
Another vote for natural here. looks sophisticated and classy.

queenovnight
April 20th, 2014, 01:18 PM
I think I actually like the red on you. I think your natural color is beautiful, but red seems to bring out your eyes more. Either way, both colors look nice!

Valkyriejae
April 20th, 2014, 01:19 PM
Thanks for all the feedback everyone!
In fairness to all the people saying I look younger/healthier/better rested in the natural hair pic: I'm wearing makeup in that one, and the ones with the red were taken when I had literally just woken up :)
Meteor - I think you mistunderstood my "look of the undead" - I'm not worried about looking pale, I loev looking pale! But my background is Irish/Italian so I sometimes get these weird olive tones under my usually reddish skin that come across as sickly and green. That's what I'm hoping to avoid(I figure red hair will bring out the Irish colouring!)

I'm glad you guys think the red suits me. I do know that my natural colour looks good, but I'm sooooo tired of it. I've been that shade of blondette for about 11 years (I was platinum blonde as a child, then it naturally darkened) and its just no fun for me anymore (honestly, it never really was, I've always found it boring on me.)

cole
April 20th, 2014, 01:21 PM
I do think your natural suits you well. It makes you have a sort of dreamy look, in a way. (: But, the red still looks good!

Dandelion6
April 20th, 2014, 01:26 PM
Your natural color is so much prettier on you!

Aderyn
April 20th, 2014, 01:28 PM
I think you look great with either color! The red definitely seems to give more of a contrast to your skin tone and brings out the paleness a little more, which I do like the look of. I think I slightly prefer your natural hair color, though.

SkyChild
April 20th, 2014, 01:44 PM
I like your natural hair colour but also the red. I'm trying not to be biased as I ADORE ginger red hair so I will always think it's prettier than anything else.
I think you're right, it'll bring out Irish colouring. Green and blue go well with red hair, I've found. Sort of hunter green rather than lime though. Pink and red tend to clash. Yellow is tricky (but I've never got yellow right)

meteor
April 20th, 2014, 01:45 PM
In fairness to all the people saying I look younger/healthier/better rested in the natural hair pic: I'm wearing makeup in that one, and the ones with the red were taken when I had literally just woken up :)
Hm, makeup can really shift coloring a lot, actually... are you wearing foundation, powder or bronzer on that photo? It's best to check in normal light by wearing a wig in the color you want while wearing either your everyday make-up or no make-up.

Also, why not try just a temporary dye? But be careful, this stuff can stick to lighter hair. And your natural hair color is so not boring, it's absolutely gorgeous, classy and multi-dimensional, it's just that after 11 years, you probably don't see it with as much appreciation as onlookers do.

ETA: Also, if you really want red, I'd recommend consulting an experienced colorist to really figure out the best shade for you. I think a lot of people are disappointed with results because without a lot of testing it's so easy to get a shade that clashes with skin, eyes, eyebrows, etc, but there are so many different types of red out there!

Valkyriejae
April 20th, 2014, 01:56 PM
I'm just wearing eye makeup and a bit of concealer under my eyes, but I find that any makeup changes my "healthyness" a lot - when I go barefaced, people often assume I'm sick!

Wigs aren't really an option for me - there's no where I've been able to find a decent red wig in a price I'd pay for a colour experiment.

As for temporary dye - that's what I've got on in the red pictures. Unless you mean the semi/demi-permanent stuff that comes out in "15-20 washes." I'm not sure how I feel about that stuff - I haven't been able to find a good red colour in any of those, and I'm worried they'll get sucked into my hair and go permanent (that happened to my mum and we have similar hair...)

Hm, makeup can really shift coloring a lot, actually... are you wearing foundation, powder or bronzer on that photo? It's best to check in normal light by wearing a wig in the color you want while wearing either your everyday make-up or no make-up.

Also, why not try just a temporary dye? But be careful, this stuff can stick to lighter hair. And your natural hair color is so not boring, it's absolutely gorgeous, classy and multi-dimensional, it's just that after 11 years, you probably don't see it with as much appreciation as onlookers do.

ETA: Also, if you really want red, I'd recommend consulting an experienced colorist to really figure out the best shade for you. I think a lot of people are disappointed with results because without a lot of testing it's so easy to get a shade that clashes with skin, eyes, eyebrows, etc, but there are so many different types of red out there!

Larki
April 20th, 2014, 01:57 PM

I've been more seriously considering taking the henna plunge. To that end, I've used a temporary dye to turn (most) of my hair roughly the shade I would want from henna.
:p The red hair is the temp dye.

rosaacicularis
April 20th, 2014, 02:03 PM
The thought process is as follows - "The red's fine if she wants red, I wonder if the harmony I see is because of the green shirt? The hair might be a little warm, let's see what the natural looks like."
Scroll down
"Holy smokes, the natural looks great! That's perfect."

So I agree with the majority, but totally understand why you would want to go red.

ETA: If you want red, I think you'd look better in a cooler shade for sure - maybe not something you can get with henna. (PMed you)

Valkyriejae
April 20th, 2014, 02:28 PM
Hmmm, good point about the shirt. I coerced my housemate into taking another pic, this time with a black shirt. Alas, the lighting in my apartment SUCKS after 1pm and the parts of my hair that didn't take the dye stand out a lot, but here's a pic without the green:
http://i.imgur.com/oSlhPtc.jpg

Lucky_Lucy
April 20th, 2014, 03:10 PM
I think both suit you;while your natural hair colour looks great, the red looks great on you as well! If you're sure about hennaing(and it seems like it to me :) ), then I'd say go for it!

divinedobbie
April 20th, 2014, 03:25 PM
Well I have to say, the red looks even better in the second picture (with the black shirt). And wearing makeup in the "natural colour" picture is probably why everyone is liking that one more. So that being said, I think you should go red since it's evident you're not happy with your natural colour and want a change!

xoChesleyy
April 20th, 2014, 03:49 PM
Well I have to say, the red looks even better in the second picture (with the black shirt). And wearing makeup in the "natural colour" picture is probably why everyone is liking that one more. So that being said, I think you should go red since it's evident you're not happy with your natural colour and want a change!

I agree with her 100%! The red in the second picture looks great. Most people prefer my natural hair color as well.. Which is very close to your natural hair color, however I henna it indigo.. Because it is what I prefer on myself. To me, my natural hair color is just dull and boring. If you are wanting to be devoted to henna, go for it! I love henna, personally. :)

Beautiful hair, by the way! (:

Bubbjo5
April 20th, 2014, 04:27 PM
definitely your natural colour suits you better

Laccaria
April 20th, 2014, 04:38 PM
Hmm, I seem to be in the minority here, but I like the red way better. Gorgeous hair either way.

Lucky_Lucy
April 20th, 2014, 05:31 PM

^This. :) Also, I don't see any green/olive undertones in your skin!(for me, they are pretty noticeable, and I have dark hair and darker skin as well, but just as you said, I'm thinking red might tone it down a bit).

robin000
April 20th, 2014, 05:57 PM
Obviously I don't know for sure, but with henna you might end up with a slightly darker and richer red/auburn than your temporary dye there. I actually think that would suit you even better, but just make sure you're pretty chill about not being able to fully predict the exact color you'll end up with (and probably also do some tests).

ArienEllariel
April 20th, 2014, 06:18 PM
I'd kill for your natural color. Just saying.

However, the red is nice too.

meteor
April 20th, 2014, 06:24 PM
I'd kill for your natural color. Just saying.

LOL! :D I know, right! If there existed a hair color swap board on the LHC, it would be very popular! :)

ravenheather
April 20th, 2014, 06:30 PM
I think you look great with either. It's just a matter of preference.

maborosi
April 20th, 2014, 10:57 PM
Hmmm, good point about the shirt. I coerced my housemate into taking another pic, this time with a black shirt. Alas, the lighting in my apartment SUCKS after 1pm and the parts of my hair that didn't take the dye stand out a lot, but here's a pic without the green:
http://i.imgur.com/oSlhPtc.jpg

Wow, it looks lovely- it's a bit harder to see because it does look like the dye didn't take all the way, but what I do see, I think looks great. Your natural color is beautiful.
That being said, the important thing really is to do what would make you happiest. If you want red, then go for it- I think you can pull it off provided you can figure out the best shade to work with you skintone.
You're probably going to get slightly biased answers here anytime you ask about whether or not you should keep your natural color- people are generally going to err on the side of suggesting that you keep your natural color over altering it.

I however, am slightly biased toward red because I'm a hennahead. ;)

Let us know what you do- I'm excited to see your results if you do end up choosing to henna!!

~maborosi~

veryhairyfairy
April 21st, 2014, 07:31 AM
I think you look AWESOME in the red (but like maborosi I'm a henna-head and love to see it!)!

I have almost the exact same coloring and natural color, and I really really really prefer the way I look with red hair. It makes me a little bit paler (which I love), it brings out my freckling, and it makes my eyes more green and less slate (not that there's anything wrong with slate, I love it).

----------Obligatory first time henna user warning!--------
Make sure if you do henna that you do many strand tests to figure out the perfect timing because with blonde hair like yours, you could go too dark very quickly. (and roots only after you find your perfect color! Too many end up with something they aren't quite happy with because of too many full head applications... I'm looking at myself here lol)

lapushka
April 21st, 2014, 07:50 AM
Agree with most, your natural color is so much softer on you. The red takes on kind of an "edgy" vibe, but maybe that's what you're going for. With hair that long, though, I'd stick to semi-permanents. Henna is a huge commitment and upkeep is a b**ch. If you get tired of that after just two applications, the damage is done, might as well have a shaved head, because you're going to have to grow your color out - that is if you don't want to damage your hair with color removers / bleach.

Henna Girl
April 21st, 2014, 07:57 AM
I'm going to repeat what everyone else said. Both look good on you but your your natural color is much more beautiful.

Thinthondiel
April 21st, 2014, 08:14 AM
With hair that long, though, I'd stick to semi-permanents. Henna is a huge commitment and upkeep is a b**ch. If you get tired of that after just two applications, the damage is done, might as well have a shaved head, because you're going to have to grow your color out - that is if you don't want to damage your hair with color removers / bleach.

I think the red looks lovely on you, but I agree with the above - unless you're certain that you want red hair for a very long time (or you're willing to cut it short), I'd stick with temporary dye if I were you.

BroomHilda
April 21st, 2014, 08:36 AM
I vote for blonde. From the pic you seem to have pinky skin undertones and with the red hair there is "too" much redness. Blonde counteract the redness of your skin. It looks lot more balanced

If I were you I would enhance my bolnde with highlights or I would go for 1-2 tones lighter

Rosetta
April 21st, 2014, 09:33 AM
that is if you don't want to damage your hair with color removers / bleach.
Color removers don't actually damage hair, the Colour B4 type removers that is; though they are mostly not very efficient at removing henna, unfortunately.

Since you mentioned the concern about looking too pale, you should remember that red tones make pink / ruddy tones in the face fade and actually make the person look whiter. Darker tones also make skin look whiter.

I vote for blonde. From the pic you seem to have pinky skin undertones and with the red hair there is "too" much redness. Blonde counteract the redness of your skin. It looks lot more balanced
This is interesting, as these two quotes are saying the opposite ;)

For the OP, I can only say both look very nice, so it's entirely up to you (but it sounds like you want to go red) :)

höpönasu
April 21st, 2014, 10:32 AM
Red is pretty but natural color suits you the best! Makes your face glow. :o

Valkyriejae
April 21st, 2014, 10:34 AM
I think I'm pretty set on the henna. I'll do a bunch of strand tests of course :)
Although, if anyone who has suggested a semi-permanent can recommend one that will mimic the colour of henna, I might be willing to give that a shot. The reason I'm not currently planning to do so is because there is NOTHING in my area that I've found that will work. (This dye comes out in 1 wash and is discontinued, Manic Panic is too fake and also likely won't come out, and all the other semi-permanent have candy red or reddish brown as their only red options...)

Dziip
April 27th, 2014, 06:45 AM
I'm for one not sure. I'd say red for your eyes but your skintone isn't enhanced with the red... A lighter red perhaps ?

Dessi
April 27th, 2014, 06:56 AM
Both colors suits you but I vote for red!

MissAlida
April 27th, 2014, 07:32 AM
I vote for natural color. But the red looks nice on you too. :)

fiðrildi
April 27th, 2014, 08:35 AM
I think the red would suit you very well. Your natural colour looks nice on you, but I'd go for the red. You have a beautiful shade of blonde, but I personally think that your natural hair makes you look a little more "boring" (that's just an impression). Blonde or red, your hair is beautiful either way :)

Freija
May 3rd, 2014, 07:19 PM
Directions Vermillion is absolutely the colour of henna. It even has that orange flare in the sun. : )

I think I'm pretty set on the henna. I'll do a bunch of strand tests of course :)
Although, if anyone who has suggested a semi-permanent can recommend one that will mimic the colour of henna, I might be willing to give that a shot. The reason I'm not currently planning to do so is because there is NOTHING in my area that I've found that will work. (This dye comes out in 1 wash and is discontinued, Manic Panic is too fake and also likely won't come out, and all the other semi-permanent have candy red or reddish brown as their only red options...)

Lady Mary
May 3rd, 2014, 07:28 PM
Yes! How pretty. Pretty before of course but I do love a good red.

Tini'sNewHair
May 3rd, 2014, 07:38 PM
I was going to say your natural color because it naturally suits you but when I looked at the new photo I knew youd make a gorgeous redhead!!! I guess you will have to be mindful of what color chlotes you wear so it dosnt clash haha

walterSCAN
May 4th, 2014, 06:05 AM
Your natural color does look very nice on you, but I guess I'm one of the few here who thinks the red suits you even better. Especially in the first set of red hair photos, your coloring looks just like a few natural redheads I have known and I think the red enhances your skin tone and your eye color. :shrug: Do what makes you happy with it, but please please remember that you do NOT date henna, you marry it. Not sure whose immortal words those were in the first place, but they are soooo apt.

Sidenote: the photos of yourself where you realize you looked like the undead could have been the fault of the lighting wherever you were, and not your clothing color choices. (unless they were taken outside, of course) The vast majority of indoor lighting is pretty unflattering for me, which has resulted in some horrendous photos, even though what I was wearing looked fine-- good even-- outside in natural light. Just something to think about (and maybe give you back some confidence in your own color judgements!).

Colourful
May 4th, 2014, 06:05 AM
Both hair colors look super lovely on you! :blossom:

palaeoqueen
May 8th, 2014, 03:37 PM
Your natural colour is gorgeous - a beautiful blonde.