PDA

View Full Version : Do you know any cute fashion hairstyles?

VictorianDoll
April 20th, 2014, 11:23 AM
Hello everyone!

I am sorry if I seem rude making this post when I don't post very much, but I am far too curious ( and desperate :wail:). I am a follower of Japanese kawaii fashion and mainly lolita (sweet/classic style for those who know of it), but as the models and idols have no longer than bsl length hair and I have classic length. I ,well, feel a little incomplete when I'm dressed up in my favorite fashion, so I, after trying to figure it out by myself, came to LHC to ask the pros (and not-yet-pros) for their advise.

So please help me find some cute fashion hairstyles!

Some cute fashion links:
http://item.rakuten.co.jp/double/c/0000001672/
http://fairy-tips.tumblr.com

and a lolita fashion link:
http://hellolace.net/styles/classic

cole
April 20th, 2014, 11:27 AM
Does your hair hold a curl? If you are looking to fake the shorter length, I have always been a fan of ringlets for lolita. Big, thick, tight ones. You could experiment with twisted pin curls, too, and put those into pigtails after they've set. I don't know if that goes against the strict 'rules' for lolita, but I certainly think it fits the look. (: I've seen plenty of lolita girls on tumblr who have long hair (or, well, long wigs perhaps (; ) so just keep looking! If I see any really wonderful ones I'll try and post them here for ya.

VictorianDoll
April 20th, 2014, 11:38 AM
Thank you! I am not looking to pretendy shorten as I'm very proud of my hair, and yes, my hair does hold a curl (of which I love) it's just some times it's wayyy too windy here as I live in rainy england. As for lolita I think recently the rules have loosened as we now wear ankle socks and include other japanese fashions. . . Or I have become immune to it as I don't venture into the loli forums or comms often now.Oh and yes those are most certainly wigs!

PrincessIdril
April 20th, 2014, 01:07 PM
As a fellow (English) Lolita I feel your pain! So many popular hairstyles are just wigs now.It really saddens me that almost every newbie who posts in egl wants to buy (or has already brought) a wig and everyone buys the same ones :( It is a real shame as everyone kind of looks the same now.

I'm also into Classic (and I dabble in sweet a bit) and I find half-ups work great for my style (my hair is in the waist region, and pretty darn curly when it wants to be! lol). I have a playlist on youtube of some pretty half-ups and up-dos that IMO work quite well for Classic and sweet (and provide a good base for some hair accessories)
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9y3cajzlqEc4pajJXNyc3sI8I3rU75L3
The "Valentines Day Heart Bow" and "Easy Heart Braid" are a couple of my favourite sweet styles. And "Elsa's Coronation" is one of my fav up-dos (looks stunning with a flower crown) Not everything on that playlist is loliable, some things I have just shoved on there so I can remember to try them later!!

Hope that helps :D

Luminaria
April 20th, 2014, 09:18 PM
Hi,
You could try looking at Japanese fashion magazines like KERA or maybe popteen. Rasysa is a great site for Japanese hairstyles. Here's the link: http://mobile.rasysa.com/style/

MadeiraD
April 20th, 2014, 09:38 PM
What about braided pigtails with BIG bows at the ends? I think that would look very doll like and lolita-esque

Rosa Harris
April 20th, 2014, 11:29 PM
My mom used to do my knee length hair up into the Princess Leih buns (this was actually before start wars came out tho) with a ribbon tied around each one making a bow on top with the ends falling on each side of each bun... she would use about 4 ribbons and tie one bow with each 4 and spread the ribbon out of the bow. As a kid I thought it looked awful but I hated girly-girl and my mom insisted. It is very girly-girl tho. Sometimes she made them braided buns on each side and allowed the ends of the braid to make a short pony tail on each side.

Peggy E.
April 21st, 2014, 07:40 AM
did notice there were long pig tails on a couple of the models in your links. I would think anything done with braids and bows and ribbons would fit into the sweet style.

and just because everyone else is wearing a wig in a particular style doesn't mean you have to! there are lots of "sweet" Lolita-esque styles you could create with your own hair and set your own trend with the clothes you love.

after all, someone did the first hairstyle that everyone else decided to copy, right? there's two of you in England right here - there's got to be more. just go and forge ahead. be fashion trail blazers!

start by adding onto the pig tails with bows and ribbons look! have fun with it - it's an adorable style.

Redvelvetdragon
April 21st, 2014, 09:02 AM
Sausage curls! You can keep your length but some of it will be taken up in the curl. They are also called rag curls. Youtube has a few great tutorials.

VictorianDoll
April 21st, 2014, 11:41 AM
Thank you everyone for helping me get out of my cycle of I can't find hair styles, maybe I should cut it, no way I waited too long for it to grow . . . But I can't find hairstyles. I am now looking at kera magazines and thinking of doing what I can only call braided hair loops.

PrincessIdril:Hello fellow uk loli! Thanks for the Elsa link it looks so nice and simple to do, but I can't help thinking that it would look nice as a braided version.

Rosa Harris:I do like the Princess Leia style buns but all I would get from my OLDER brother is "you look like Princess Leia". I don't get that I can grow my hair to "extreme" (in their world) lengths, wear a petticoat and have super long nails, and they don't bat an eyelash, but put two buns on my head and it's a big event. On second thoughts though, if I wear them often enough they might calm down a bit.

Peggy E.: thank you for the support as we all know if I post this in a lolita forum I would just get "cut it. it's only hair!"

Redvelvetdragon: I do wear rag curls sometimes but having to use a pair of leggings (due to method, thickness & length) per curl can be annoying to sleep with sometimes.

Also thank you to all of you that took the time to post!

torrilin
April 21st, 2014, 11:45 AM
It looks to me like the vast majority of the look is "unnatural" hair color. Depending on your base shade and what colors look good on you, this may or may not be doable with classic length hair.

The rest of the look is "girlish" or "young" styles, generally done via hair accessories. Bows, ribbons and pigtails all seem to fit easily. One of the hairstyles that led to the term "flapper" is a long single braid with a giant bow at the nape of the neck. This was very popular as a style for teen girls from about 1900-1920. Heidi braids or a crown braid with bow and ribbon accents could be good also.

PrincessIdril
April 21st, 2014, 12:18 PM
Thank you everyone for helping me get out of my cycle of I can't find hair styles, maybe I should cut it, no way I waited too long for it to grow . . . But I can't find hairstyles. I am now looking at kera magazines and thinking of doing what I can only call braided hair loops.

PrincessIdril:Hello fellow uk loli! Thanks for the Elsa link it looks so nice and simple to do, but I can't help thinking that it would look nice as a braided version.

It looks great with a braided bun as well. That's how I usually do the Elsa hair myself :D
Looped braids are a pretty popular Lolita style, I personally can't pull off the look myself. My hair has a bit too much taper so I don't think they look right on me. Shame as it is a lovely style.

Rosa Harris
April 21st, 2014, 01:34 PM
Thank you everyone for helping me get out of my cycle of I can't find hair styles, maybe I should cut it, no way I waited too long for it to grow . . .
Rosa Harris:I do like the Princess Leia style buns but all I would get from my OLDER brother is "you look like Princess Leia". I don't get that I can grow my hair to "extreme" (in their world) lengths, wear a petticoat and have super long nails, and they don't bat an eyelash, but put two buns on my head and it's a big event. On second thoughts though, if I wear them often enough they might calm down a bit.

Yeah in some ways she ruined that style - its all folks see! The trick is to do a bun that is not the same type bun. I've done knots before and used them to tie ribbons on. I really like leaving some length hanging out. I've seen this in anime before. That and braid on each side in front of the ear a section or just leave those sections long and lose. I like to pit hair beads on them actually and in the past I have used color hairsprays on those sections to make white streaks down the front sides - or blue.

ETA: maybe some inspiration here?

I love the styles from my doll collection actually. lol

http://www.dollmarket.com/category_s/448.htm

VictorianDoll
April 21st, 2014, 02:48 PM
Since my last post I've tried the braided loops look. So what do you think?

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m215/lhoshiko/imagejpg1_zps3a732d72.jpg (http://s105.photobucket.com/user/lhoshiko/media/imagejpg1_zps3a732d72.jpg.html)

Rosa Harris: I also have a few dolls and love their hair!

MadeiraD
April 21st, 2014, 03:50 PM
The braided loops are very pretty!

It seems to me a gibson tuck would also be very pretty for classic lolita.

For sweet maybe a crown braid with a lot of accessories, or braided bun in a pastel coloured ribbon parandi/paranda (you could even use fun coloured kanekalon braiding hair to make your paranda?

To me it seems like most sweet trends right now are about adding a LOT of decorations, and so more hair means more to decorate

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/184999497166061318/ what about doing this with pigtails but with big ribbon bows instead of hair ties?

You can also use a bump it or a bun form or hair rats to create a hime style poof on top without damage.

PrincessIdril
April 21st, 2014, 03:50 PM
Looks really good :) And I love your headband

irishlady
April 21st, 2014, 05:27 PM
I'd accessorize with bows and flowers, and do pretty half ups. Anime is a good place to start for ideas as well.