PDA

View Full Version : Road Trip Hairstyles?

swords & roses
April 20th, 2014, 08:09 AM
Road Trip! :D

How do you like to wear your hair when traveling?

When I'm just driving around town, having it down is fine, or I can deal with the inconvenience of a bun hitting the headrest for that short of a time, but long road trips are quite a bit different! After hours on the road, the tiniest thing can get physically & mentally irritating!

I spent 5 hours driving yesterday. I started with my hair loose down my back, but after an hour, I started thinking that all my shifting in my seat might be damaging my already splitty hair, so I spent the next hour or so with it all pulled around to one shoulder. But that got to be too hot & a little scratchy on my neck. When we pulled off the road for lunch, I put my hair into a braid off the side & over my shoulder. (A pony tail, braid, or bun on the center back of my head hits my headrest & forces my head into an uncomfortable position, so those weren't good placement options.) Pretty soon after braiding it, though, spriggles started working themselves free, as they always do, and then I was being poked & tickled & scratched in the neck and arm by them for the rest of the trip. *grumble* I kinda couldn't win yesterday, lol. Not sure what I'll do for today's 5 hour drive.

So how do you like to wear your hair on road trips, for maximum comfort & minimal annoyance & damage?

Vanilla
April 20th, 2014, 08:12 AM
I really like twin braids, either Dutch or English braids. If I want to I can bun them, but they are generally ok with being left down. I do oil before braiding, so the pokey hairs don't come out as much.

Madora
April 20th, 2014, 08:14 AM
I like an accent crown braid. Easy, comfy. You might also find this style helpful:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ

Annibelle
April 20th, 2014, 08:42 AM
My hair isn't long enough for it to be a bother down, so that's how I'd wear it, but twin braids over your shoulders are comfortable! :)

curlsgalore
April 20th, 2014, 08:51 AM
Messy bun on top of my head. :)

umbrellabones
April 20th, 2014, 08:58 AM
twin braids, or a single braid over one shoulder. and with a headband to keep my bangs out of my eyes.

Nadine <3
April 20th, 2014, 09:17 AM
Some sort of braid probably. I'd most likely be traveling with one of my wacky friends of my family and they all like riding in the car with all the windows down. No way would I wear it loose, even though my hairs not that long yet. I would end up eating half of it...and it likes to poke me in the eye.

Gabriel
April 20th, 2014, 09:24 AM
I second (or third?) a crown braid. I also like modified heidi braids that end up looking like a crown braid by the time they're wrapped around my head. I secure them with amish pins. I make sure they aren't pokey where I rest against. I also will tie a satin scarf around the headrest of the vehicle where I am resting my head. Alternately I've knit a bunch of tams/berets/slouchy hats and will make sure to wear one that fits what style I've chosen if windows are going to be down a lot.

patienceneeded
April 20th, 2014, 09:54 AM
I wear it down and over my shoulder opposite the seatbelt for long trips. It doesn't rub on anything or get caught. I keep a hairstick in my purse and pull it up when we get out of the car.

Taenarian
April 20th, 2014, 10:03 AM
I like an accent crown braid. Easy, comfy. You might also find this style helpful:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ

Wow, crown braid - I went from OMG to "I can do that" to oh she pins it, TSA whoops. I may yet braid this into my routine ....

Top down, all windows down, that's my driving style (weather permitting) and have some experience with wild loose hairs in my face even if I've ponytailed aggressively. Settled on braids for the long hauls and knock around town with a bun. The only thing I need to be aware of in the car with a bun is where the car begins and the door ends, because that's the place my hairfork knows better than I do when I get in and out. *Duck* a little lower getting in and out LOL

Saldana
April 20th, 2014, 11:05 AM
Right now, just a half up with a barette works for me. When my hair is longer, my preferred road trip style is a french braid over one shoulder, or a messy bun on the top of my head. Can't have a bun in the back, because it hits the headrest and really annoys me.

darklyndsea
April 20th, 2014, 11:06 AM
Amish braids! Sometimes I feel like a broken record saying that, but it really is my favorite style for everything.

My last road trip I did a top-of-head bun, which worked fine.

Stiria
April 20th, 2014, 11:58 AM
^^Whats amish braids?

I usually wear a loose side braid. I place a scarf or something between ny neck and the braid if it starts to itch. I think a crown braid would be really comfortable too.

Quixii
April 20th, 2014, 12:20 PM
It depends. Sometimes I just have it in a regular braid down, sometimes a French braid, sometimes a bun on top of my head so it doesn't hit the headrest so much, sometimes a relatively flat bun in a normal place so it kind of rests against the headrest.

peacecat3
April 20th, 2014, 01:00 PM
Another "what's an Amish Braid?" here.

I also like a crown briad, though more often I'll do a segmented ponytail, where I'll ponytail it at the nape of my neck, then add additional hair ties every two inches or so, with a bandana tied around my head to keep all the whispies under control.

SkyChild
April 20th, 2014, 02:13 PM
I'm glad it's not just me - I spent most of today battering my headrest into submission as it was stabbing me with my hair pins and giving me a crooked neck!
Going to stick with double braids I think.

cole
April 20th, 2014, 02:20 PM
If you got one of those neck pillows, could you use that to at least help support your head along with the head rest? It might keep the majority of the weight off your bun, anyway.

Madora
April 20th, 2014, 02:44 PM
Amish braiding: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=30688&page=10

Stiria
April 20th, 2014, 03:02 PM
Than you Madora! I love braided updos, and I am always happy when I discover a new one! This one seems to be quite similar to interlaced braids, my favorite updo.

swords & roses
April 20th, 2014, 03:32 PM
Great suggestions, everyone! I'm happy that I now know what an amish braid is! ;)

For today's trip, I did a side-placed, braided nautilus bun, held with my Fakecare clip, with the chunky hinge end of the clip toward the base of my skull. Still hit the headrest, but it wasn't too bad. :)

I might try a side braid again sometime, but I'll have to try braiding it damp to see if that helps on the spriggles coming loose. (My hair doesn't like oil, but that's a great suggestion for those who can use it! :) And I swear, my hair frizzles top to bottom within 5 minutes of braiding it! >_<) A crown braid might be a good try for my next road trip. Just need to remember to grab some pins! I didn't have any with me on this trip. I'd love to try the amish braids one of these days, but I doubt I'll ever have the time to do them. I tend to scramble out the door later than I mean to every time, no matter how early I start to get around, lol!

DH suggested I try a bun on top of my head, too, but I can never get that to work, even if I pull it up while I'm flipped forward. Just the way my hair wants to lay, I guess.

rags
April 20th, 2014, 03:38 PM
I do double Dutch braids. And my hair is waaaay too fine to "poke" me. It does tickle a lot however!

Alternatively, in a half up with a buff over it (I can't use this one much past BSl, or it becomes a nightmare of tangles.

swords & roses
April 20th, 2014, 03:46 PM
If you got one of those neck pillows, could you use that to at least help support your head along with the head rest? It might keep the majority of the weight off your bun, anyway.

I'm actually not resting my head on the headrest. There's just not much clearance between me & it. So if I add much of anything at all to the back of my head (like a bun, ponytail, or braid), it fills that space & then some, forcing my head forward &/or down, which gets really irritating & a bit painful after a couple of hours! I *could* take the headrest off of the seat to eliminate the problem, but I've had way too many incidents of whiplash to feel ok with doing that. >_<

eadwine
April 20th, 2014, 04:31 PM
I tend to wear it in a Dutch braid when flying. I have to haul suitcases all over the place, buns are annoying because I cannot sit proper in the seat. Loose or ponytail is too whimsical, and with the Dutch braid I get all the hair nicely bound together and it looks cool to boot :)