PDA

View Full Version : Any other iii people have issues wearing buns?

kganihanova
April 19th, 2014, 07:42 PM
Hello!

So as my hair gained and gains thickness, I"m finding that buns are significantly less fun and less comfortable than they were with layers. I know that braids aren't as protective but buns tend to give me terrible headaches, even now. I tried placing them differently. I tried loosening. I'm just not a bun girl. Is this okay?

Kaelee
April 19th, 2014, 07:47 PM
There are only a couple of buns that are comfortable for me...cinnabuns FORGET IT. :laugh: It's frustrating for sure. Even then, the buns that work have their bad days.

kganihanova
April 19th, 2014, 07:51 PM
There are only a couple of buns that are comfortable for me...cinnabuns FORGET IT. :laugh: It's frustrating for sure. Even then, the buns that work have their bad days.

I think that's my problem. I can only do a barely cinnabun right now and its hurting me. I don't have enough length for a pencil bun or any other bun. Guess I'll stick with braids and peacock twists.

Kaelee
April 19th, 2014, 08:03 PM
I think that's my problem. I can only do a barely cinnabun right now and its hurting me. I don't have enough length for a pencil bun or any other bun. Guess I'll stick with braids and peacock twists.

Try disc bun, it was the first bun I could do. Cinnabuns I gave up on. I can get it to work (with difficulty) but it's not worth the effort when there are other options.

kganihanova
April 19th, 2014, 08:05 PM
Try disc bun, it was the first bun I could do. Cinnabuns I gave up on. I can get it to work (with difficulty) but it's not worth the effort when there are other options.

Not enough length. It worked great for me at waist and BSL though so I'll be able to do it soon enough.

darklyndsea
April 19th, 2014, 08:06 PM
You might just have to wait for your hair to be longer before they're comfortable. I only started finding buns at all comfortable once I got to hip-to-half-moon length, even though I could manage a cinnabun at mid-back.

Kaelee
April 19th, 2014, 08:07 PM
You might just have to wait for your hair to be longer before they're comfortable. I only started finding buns at all comfortable once I got to hip-to-half-moon length, even though I could manage a cinnabun at mid-back.

This, unfortunately. :( But you'll get there!

kganihanova
April 19th, 2014, 08:09 PM

Hmm. Braids it is. I do tend to prefer braids at in between stages.

vindo
April 19th, 2014, 08:11 PM
Used to be close to iii (without hair loss) - Lazy Wrap Bun + 4 prong 60th street hair fork works wonders!

FallingDarkness
April 19th, 2014, 08:30 PM
Most buns are uncomfortable with scrunchies (ow, too much pulling, which means breakage, which means BAD) and I can't get a hair stick to work with my length and thickness. It all just falls out.
Be happy you have thick hair though! It's both a blessing and a curse, but I love love love having thick hair.

Sharysa
April 19th, 2014, 08:40 PM
Heck yes. My hair's almost four inches around. Couldn't do buns before a long mid-back because my hair was too thick, and now I can't do buns at hip-length because it's too heavy.

Braids are my best friends.

Monkshood
April 19th, 2014, 08:41 PM
It might get easier as you gain more length. I couldn't do ANY bun at APL. Buns became possible when I reached MBL+ and all I could do was a cinnabun (that looked more like a sock bun, really). I pretty much lived in braids then and my hair grew just fine. I wouldn't worry about it.

Aderyn
April 19th, 2014, 08:53 PM
My circumference is around 4 inches, and with fine hair, there is a lot of hair to deal with. I decided to start growing my hair at BSL-ish length and starting experimenting with wearing my hair up around MBL, so never had too much of an issue with having the length to wear buns, though you may need to wait a bit before it's comfortable.

I've had the best luck with braided buns. Nothing wrong with just sticking to a braid, though.

Really has taken a lot of practice to figure out just how loose/tight each specific bun has to be for each specific hair toy in order for it to be comfortable, though. Getting some sturdy hair pins is also very helpful to provide the necessary support for the hair.

When I was at a shorter length with not as much fairytaling, I could manage to do some basic buns by sectioning off some hair, for instance leaving two sections off on the sides, and taking the center section, bunning that and then braiding the other sections and wrapping them around the bun. Still do that on occasion, the braids framing the bun are quite nice.

BonnieU
April 19th, 2014, 09:07 PM
I have the same problem as I am apl, curly and iii thickness...however the disc bun seems to be the only bun I CAN wear...even then tends to loosen sometimes. Its a balance between too tight and too loose. I'm hoping more length will help me be able to pull off more stable buns :-)

Kherome
April 20th, 2014, 05:49 PM
You need a Jeter fork. They can hold a super loose bun comfortably all day.

meteor
April 20th, 2014, 06:20 PM
Yes, I find buns heavy, but scalps tend to adjust. If you've tried bunning for a few months and you still get headaches, you should probably switch to other styles.
Braids are very easy to wear for those with tender scalps, they are perfect for growing out long hair, plus you get to show off your length and thickness. Just be mindful about your hair ties (I love silk ribbons and parandas for that) and don't forget to oil your braid tassel from time to time if you have dry ends.

kganihanova
April 20th, 2014, 06:42 PM
I stopped wearing buns for a while and switched to braids because after a certain length they huuuuurt. Now I'm APL(post chop) but I guess my scalp hasn't adjusted to bun weight yet or maybe it never did. Idk, I'm gonna bench them for a while though (except for oilings), the headaches are no fun.

dollyfish
April 20th, 2014, 08:11 PM
Yeah, when my hair is long enough for buns I almost never wear them. I can't comfortably wear a bun longer than a few hours, due to the weight of my hair. Even high ponytails at BSL+ will hurt my scalp. I prefer wearing my hair down anyway though, so it's not usually a big problem for me. If I'm wearing my hair up (not braided) then it's probably a temporary style anyway.

Lindenare
April 21st, 2014, 12:08 AM
I wear buns fairly regularly anymore, but this is a recent development. I found out a month and a half ago that I had just enough length to wear a pencil bun comfortably - my hair is right at my hips. I can barely do a cinnabun (and when I do, it needs enough pins to hold it together that I feel like I have a metal know instead of a bun, and the extra weight and pressure hurts after a while). I don't really have problems with buns causing headaches unless they are much too tight. Buns that I can wear all day in comfort, though, are limited to center-hold type with a hairstick until I grow at least to TBL.

tigereye
April 21st, 2014, 12:45 AM
I think I'm just practiced at getting the balance. I could do a cinnabuns at mid-back and held it up with thick pencils most of the time. However, when I got past waist and towards hip, there was no way it would work but I could do a nautilus around hip and that helped. Nowadays, I'm actually going the other way and things are getting uncomfortable as I inch towards tailbone, but I think it's a sign my large ficcares are getting too small, because I don't get the same issue with forks.

SereneCurls
April 21st, 2014, 06:24 AM
I have two suggestions: spin pins, and sectioning. Spin pins really do a good job of supporting the bun without pulling on the scalp hair, and they're very hair safe. As for sectioning, have you tried making a bun with the top half of your hair, then wrapping the bottom section around that? This spreads the weight of the hair out and makes long thick hair more comfortable to wear up.

queenovnight
April 21st, 2014, 06:31 AM
I only find them uncomfortable if I put them toward the top of my head. I put my buns at the very nape of my neck. If I wear them any higher, I will get an awful headache. I can also only use hair sticks. Hair ties (the pulling) makes the headache worse. I've also noticed that I can't do extravagant buns. Just adds too much weight. I'm glad that this isn't just me though! I was telling my bf that my hair gives me a headache and he just looked at me like I was crazy Lol. - Try a very low bun with sticks. This was my savior.

Anabell
April 21st, 2014, 07:08 AM
Yes it is an issue. And i'm not even a solid iii. My hair is heavy. I have very few bun I can wear almost all day long- the nautilus and the lazy wrap. It is not get more comfortable when it's get longer (at least it didn't from classic to FTL). It just too heavy.I also get neck pain in addition to the scalp that sometimes hurts. But I started wear buns only when I already have very long hair (between hip and tail bone length) so I don't know how they would feel with shorter length.

For the most of the time I wear braids. When it get too hot and I want my hair up I just bun the braid to a braided bun. But I always can let it down if it's hurt because it still in a braid. If the bun is to loose or too tight it will hurt. Too loose bun will move around when I walk and it pulls.

I always look for a new buns that might work for me. Even for the buns that work for me now it took some time to do them right. I do think that part of the issue is that I didn't have time to gradually get used to the weight.

Singing Bird
April 21st, 2014, 07:25 AM
Yes it is an issue. And i'm not even a solid iii. My hair is heavy. I have very few bun I can wear almost all day long- the nautilus and the lazy wrap. It is not get more comfortable when it's get longer (at least it didn't from classic to FTL). It just too heavy.I also get neck pain in addition to the scalp that sometimes hurts. But I started wear buns only when I already have very long hair (between hip and tail bone length) so I don't know how they would feel with shorter length.

I started wear buns at waist length so I don't know how they would feel with shorter length as well. But I've never had problems with the weight. People think long and thick hair must be very heavy but when they touch it they say it feels much lighter than it appears to be. I wear buns with hairsticks most of the time - LWB, disc bun, celtic bun, spidermoms bun, french braided bun, dutch braided bun etc. (sometimes low, somestimes high - as I like it).

lapushka
April 21st, 2014, 07:39 AM
It took until waist-hip for me to do buns comfortably. Until you get to that length, at around APL, a peacock twist might be useful to do!

kganihanova
April 21st, 2014, 11:34 AM
I have two suggestions: spin pins, and sectioning. Spin pins really do a good job of supporting the bun without pulling on the scalp hair, and they're very hair safe. As for sectioning, have you tried making a bun with the top half of your hair, then wrapping the bottom section around that? This spreads the weight of the hair out and makes long thick hair more comfortable to wear up.

Sectioning right now leaves me with falling out pieces (I'm apl right now). I of love spin pins though!

kganihanova
April 21st, 2014, 11:35 AM
It took until waist-hip for me to do buns comfortably. Until you get to that length, at around APL, a peacock twist might be useful to do!

Yeah, they've been working for me. I just feel 40 wearing them. I don't know why.

catamonica
April 21st, 2014, 03:16 PM
I got tired of low buns & bobby pins. So I use a soft cloth band. Wrap my braid in a soft low twist. Just a few hours a day. Works as good as a bun.

lapushka
April 21st, 2014, 03:38 PM
Yeah, they've been working for me. I just feel 40 wearing them. I don't know why.

That's odd, because there really is no age, or age-limit for that matter, on *any* updo!

kganihanova
April 21st, 2014, 04:36 PM
That's odd, because there really is no age, or age-limit for that matter, on *any* updo!

Its a personal thing I guess. The peacock twist is the preferred style of 40 year old soccer moms where I am.

lapushka
April 21st, 2014, 05:04 PM
Its a personal thing I guess. The peacock twist is the preferred style of 40 year old soccer moms where I am.

I'm over 40, and I wore a peacock twist for a really long time. ;) Just FYI.

eadwine
April 22nd, 2014, 11:00 AM
I am over 40 as well, maybe I should wear two low braids to work tomorrow with bows in them.. just to spite :lol: ;)

Wear what you want to wear, not what folks think/say you should wear.

Vanilla
April 22nd, 2014, 11:50 AM
Until I hit MBL, I couldn't really do any buns except the bee-but bun. And that still pulled at my scalp a lot. I could do Gibson tucks and French twists at that length though, and if it was secured with a 4 prong fork, inserted vertically, it didn't pull too much on my scalp.

wildtohold
April 22nd, 2014, 12:18 PM
Buns are my go-to, even with my heavy hair. I'm between shoulder and apl, and it's almost always in a bun. But that's a leftover ballet habit, I think. I can't get my hair to stay in braids, it's too short and textured. So buns it is. Proper hair pins instead of bobby pins make the difference for me. But even then, the ends of my hair feel really crispy and dried out. I thought buns were supposed to be a protective style?