PDA

View Full Version : Did your attitude change?

kganihanova
April 19th, 2014, 07:40 PM
Did your attitude change after a big chop? I found that after I big chopped, I was less desperate for length and growth than I was before. I also do significantly less to my hair and have accepted that no matter how protective buns are, they don't work for me.

Anyone else have this happen?

FallingDarkness
April 19th, 2014, 08:33 PM
I've only suffered one big chop in my recent years, and at first I enjoyed the shortness of my hair, because it was convenient, but then I realized I desperately missed my long hair. I'm glad that you benefitted mentally from a big chop though! :)
As of right now, I'm obsessed with my hair... Always. :( I've gots to stop that.

ErinLeigh
April 19th, 2014, 09:17 PM
I think mine did. I really do not care that my hair is short at all. I enjoy the lightness of it. I love how fast I can style it.
I really don't know now if I will ever grow past APL now and I am in zero hurry to get even there right now. I guess I am just content. I am finding I like all the stages of growth. I think I look different every month and I enjoy that. In the past when I did drastic cuts I was never in a hurry for those to grow out either now that I think about it. It is like once it is done, it's just done and I can start thinking about other things.

I use hair as a distraction sometimes during highly stressful events so during those times I may get obsessed about like color, style or condition but I am even calm on those fronts right now. Ask me again after my next hair disaster though and story may be different :)

The only thing I kinda of even think about is getting my layers long enough to stop slipping out of my little walnut sized bun.

Madora
April 20th, 2014, 07:50 AM
Yes, my attitude changed after a big chop. First month or two it was a breeze to wash but I missed being able to braid it and experiment with different hairstyles.

lapushka
April 20th, 2014, 08:45 AM
I had my biggest chop when I was 10/11 years old. When I went from classic to a page boy style. I got over it with weeks to come, but regretted it the day after. I never got past BSL again until I was in my late thirties. So yes, my attitude did change. Lots of experimenting with color, length and style along the way. Got that out of my system, and am now happily growing it along.

Marika
April 20th, 2014, 08:48 AM
After my big chop (tbl to shoulder), I didn't really think about my hair at all. I was so busy with other things in my life. I even left this forum completely for a couple of years. I remember I was sometimes frustrated because my hair was too short for buns (I exercised a lot and wearing a ponytail was damaging my hair).

Now my hair is getting longer again and I'm getting more obsessed. You know, hanging on this forum, buying lots of products etc. I hope I'm going to avoid the hairtoy frenzy this time because I already have enough hairtoys to last me a lifetime! :p Luckily I have my baby to keep me busy and grounded so I won't get too obsessed! :)

Annibelle
April 20th, 2014, 08:57 AM
I'm just like you, OP! Mine wasn't a "big chop" by LHC standards (just WL to APL), but now I'm just enjoying having my hair down, and I want to get to hip, but I'm not stressing over it... and I'm not going to inconvenience myself by making crazy concoctions for my hair anymore. (They, along with buns and braids, never helped, anyway.)

spidermom
April 20th, 2014, 09:57 AM
I'm over the "desperate for length" thing. I was never sure that my hair could grow to classic length, and I think that is why I was so anxious. Once I found out that my hair could, indeed, get that long, I relaxed. These days my hair is between waist and hip length, layered, with U hem. I love it. I'm growing it longer again, but I know it takes as long as it takes, and I really don't care. This is a good length and style for me.

AmyBeth
April 20th, 2014, 11:49 AM
After my once in a lifetime big chop, I spent a few years playing with hot rollers, blow drying, flat irons and chemical colors, but I always knew I missed my long hair, and would grow it out again. I started growing it out 3 years ago and am even happier that I have than before my big chop. I won't do it again if I can help it. But I'm also glad I tried shorter hair. I suppose you only live once and if you're curious about short hair after having long hair all your life, have fun and do it. It does grow back.

kganihanova
April 20th, 2014, 01:40 PM
I'm just like you, OP! Mine wasn't a "big chop" by LHC standards (just WL to APL), but now I'm just enjoying having my hair down, and I want to get to hip, but I'm not stressing over it... and I'm not going to inconvenience myself by making crazy concoctions for my hair anymore. (They, along with buns and braids, never helped, anyway.)

This!!! I did the WL to APL chop. The funny thing is that the second I stopped worrying so much about it and doing so much to it, it grew like wildfire.