PDA

View Full Version : Styles like amish braids and Elling woman bun?

darklyndsea
April 19th, 2014, 07:15 PM
Amish braids and the Elling woman bun are my favorite styles because they're durable, braided but don't involve french braids, and they distribute the weight/mass of my hair well across my scalp. Are there any other styles that use that same beginning, i.e. using a braid as one strand of another braid?

Sharysa
April 19th, 2014, 09:06 PM
Triple braids are just braiding three strands of hair and then braiding them together, and mermaid-tail braids are just two braids pinned to lie side-by-side.

Madora
April 20th, 2014, 08:06 AM
[COLOR="#A52A2A"]I don't know if this is what you had in mind, but here goes:

1) Detangle all hair with wide tooth comb
2) Comb back hair.
3) Make a horizontal part, starting at the top of your right ear, around the back of your head, to the top of your left ear
4) Comb out the hair above the part. Divide in 3 sections
5) Dutch french braid hair to nape. Clip hair. Comb out remaining unbraided hair so that it is smooth
6) Remove clip Comb out all hair.
7) Divide hair in two sections.
8) Braid each section loosely to the ends. Tie off w/elastic.
9) Take one braid and hold it flat and flush to the dutch braid, pinning as you go. Tuck tassel underneath
10) Take remaining braid and do likewise, pinning in a counter clockwise direction.

darklyndsea
April 20th, 2014, 11:09 AM
[COLOR="#A52A2A"]I don't know if this is what you had in mind, but here goes:

1) Detangle all hair with wide tooth comb
2) Comb back hair.
3) Make a horizontal part, starting at the top of your right ear, around the back of your head, to the top of your left ear
4) Comb out the hair above the part. Divide in 3 sections
5) Dutch french braid hair to nape. Clip hair. Comb out remaining unbraided hair so that it is smooth
6) Remove clip Comb out all hair.
7) Divide hair in two sections.
8) Braid each section loosely to the ends. Tie off w/elastic.
9) Take one braid and hold it flat and flush to the dutch braid, pinning as you go. Tuck tassel underneath
10) Take remaining braid and do likewise, pinning in a counter clockwise direction.

I've done that hairstyle before, and I like the result. My hair just really hates french/dutch braiding of any sort.

meteor
April 20th, 2014, 11:39 AM
Excellent thread, Darklyndsea! :) I'll be watching it with interest because I love braided buns with good weight distribution.

One of my favorites is this (a lightly modified braided bun):
1) With hair closest to your face make 2 smallish English braids on left and right sides of the face (this keeps wispies/layers under control). You don't have to braid all the way down.
2) Incorporate these 2 smaller braids into the rest of your hair and English-braid all your hair keeping one small braid in one third of the hair and the other small braid in another one-third of the hair. This creates a beautiful braid, but you can always go to step 3:
3) Wrap the resulting braid around itself, tuck the ends under, and secure with a stick/fork/etc.
You can do the same with 3 small braids incorporated into 3 parts of the big braid, but I prefer the look with just 2.

Also, I have a question. What exactly is an Amish braided bun. I've searched images on google, and I get a ton of totally different styles, so I'm confused.
Is this the correct version - the one with creating 4 "pockets" with smaller braids? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PYjubahR6g

meteor
April 20th, 2014, 11:41 AM
My hair just really hates french/dutch braiding of any sort.
French/Dutch braiding is really tough to do when the hair gets very long... especially, if the hair is also thick and not straight.

darklyndsea
April 20th, 2014, 11:44 AM
Also, I have a question. What exactly is an Amish braided bun. I've searched images on google, and I get a ton of totally different styles, so I'm confused.
Is this the correct version - the one with creating 4 "pockets" with smaller braids? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PYjubahR6g

Yes, that's what I'm talking about.

meteor
April 20th, 2014, 11:45 AM
Triple braids are just braiding three strands of hair and then braiding them together
I love this style! So comfortable and pretty.
Are there any tricks for handling the problem of the top/center braid ending much earlier than the other 2 braids? I never know what to do with that and just end up with a huge tassel.

meteor
April 20th, 2014, 11:51 AM
Yes, that's what I'm talking about.
Thank you! :) Those styles with the smaller braid(s) holding the rest of the hair without needing any hair ties are so ingenious! :)
The thing is, you can modify this style so easily: for example, instead of the 4 braid-pockets, have just 2 (one on each side).
For Elling woman bun, you could use 3 braids (instead of 1) to "weave" the big braid through.

I wouldn't do it on my hair though, because my hair is too "grabby" and gets tangled even in the Elling woman structure right now.

meteor
May 19th, 2014, 10:20 PM
I wanted to revive this thread because I found a few variations on Ellingwoman braided bun and Amish braided bun.
1. Horizontal Elling Variation: just create an English braid on one side (right or left) of your head, add it to the remainder of your hair and braid all of your hair together, then weave the resulting big braid under the first (smaller) braid either like you would an Elling woman bun or (for better hold) as an infinity sign (horizontal "8"), over and around the smaller braid.
It's basically a simplified ("cheater") version of Elling woman bun with more spread out (figure "8") weaving instead of just around the smaller braid.

And for variations of the Amish braided bun, check out these options (they do need pins though):
2. Luana Braids Woven Crown Variation: http://rapunzelsresource.wordpress.com/2009/10/23/luana-braids-woven-crown-variation/

3. Luana Braids Renaissance Variation: http://rapunzelsresource.wordpress.com/2009/10/21/luana-braids-renaissance-variation/

florenonite
May 20th, 2014, 06:41 AM
I've done that hairstyle before, and I like the result. My hair just really hates french/dutch braiding of any sort.

I haven't tried this style myself yet, but I imagine you could do it without French/Dutch braiding by doing something like an English braid half-up at the start.

neko_kawaii
May 20th, 2014, 07:23 AM
I know someone upthread said they don't like dutch/french braids, but for others, Interlaced Braids are similar in concept to Amish Braids, but involve much less braiding.

Another style I've done that that seems to fit into this theme: Make a ponytail, topsy/flip it, braid, pull the braid through the topsy spot at the top of the braid again and again till it is all wrapped up in that space, pin the ends.