PDA

View Full Version : Does your bun move?

Kaelee
April 19th, 2014, 04:48 PM
Do you have your bun tight on your head, or does it move somewhat? I'm trying to do looser buns to be nicer to my scalp, but feeling it wiggle a little is an odd feeling that I can't quite get used to!

Sarahlabyrinth
April 19th, 2014, 04:50 PM
No, mine doesn't. I don't like feeling buns move, it usually means they are about to fall out. I have them firmly comfortable but not tight. Kaelee, I have been enjoying watching your hair grow, not far now and you will be at waist! :)

Kaelee
April 19th, 2014, 04:59 PM
I'm actually a little past waist now, that's an old pic!

lapushka
April 19th, 2014, 05:00 PM
No mine doesn't move. I also use hairtoys that fit. No overly sized Ficcares or Flexi8s just because. :roll: It needs to fit, period. I'm a iii and I don't lie about using S, M, L Ficcares (use all 3 sizes depending on the bun or updo), and I use a L or XL flexi8. My hair is hip+.

Crumpet
April 19th, 2014, 05:05 PM
My buns usually fall a bit. Like Lapushka, I use all sizes of Ficcare. It just depends on the style (and sometimes the day). Even if it starts off tight, my fine hair lights to move about a bit.

meteor
April 19th, 2014, 05:05 PM
No, it doesn't, if I bun tightly. And yes, it does, if I bun loosely.

If I'm running or exercising, it moves, as well as it's becoming loose.

Kaelee
April 19th, 2014, 05:12 PM
No mine doesn't move. I also use hairtoys that fit. No overly sized Ficcares or Flexi8s just because. :roll: It needs to fit, period. I'm a iii and I don't lie about using S, M, L Ficcares (use all 3 sizes depending on the bun or updo), and I use a L or XL flexi8. My hair is hip+.

I use hairtoys that fit too. :roll: I just have a hard time striking the balance between too tight, and too loose.

Nadine <3
April 19th, 2014, 05:16 PM
Sometimes I can feel it move ever so slightly, but it doesn't usually fall out.

Vanilla
April 19th, 2014, 05:17 PM
As others have said, if my bun starts to move, that usually means it's about to fall down. I should also start banning my hair a little bit looser too, as I get quite a bit of breakage around my temple, but I'd run the risk of it falling down and having to redo it.

GoldenSilk
April 19th, 2014, 05:20 PM
I'm trying to find that balance too. If I do it looser to be kind to my scalp, it tends to move, and if it moves, it'll work itself loose... Not to mention, for me, looser is more likely to have a few hairs slightly tighter that are taking all the weight. :( I know I need to work on this.

Isilme
April 19th, 2014, 05:22 PM
I read that as "does your bum move?" :p No, my bun doesn't usually move, if it does I need to redo it.

spidermom
April 19th, 2014, 05:23 PM
Sometimes. I can't stand to have too tight a bun, so there are times when it slips or twists. Then I have to re-do it.
Lately I've been doing pinned-up styles that distribute the weight over a lot of bobby pins. These styles are much more comfortable for me, but of course more time consuming to do.

Kaelee
April 19th, 2014, 05:32 PM
Sometimes I can feel it move ever so slightly, but it doesn't usually fall out.

This is me, at least with flexis and ficcares- it'll woggle but it will not fall out (I've had one go for 8 hours!). The very slight wobble really bugs me though, because it's all I can think about, like a tag on a shirt. :lol:

ETA: That said, I think my sudden discomfort with tight buns was because I was doing the bun somewhat sideways and my scalp doesn't like that. I often times do something slightly different, don't realize what I'm doing different and then get different results and can't figure out why. Seems like that was it. :laugh:

Aderyn
April 19th, 2014, 05:39 PM
If it does start to move, it is going to fall out and needs to be redone.

Sometimes, depending on the bun, the bun will tilt a little bit to the right as it settles into it's most stable position, which can be annoying when I'm using a flexi-8 and want it to be horizontal.

darklyndsea
April 19th, 2014, 05:54 PM
My buns don't move when I move my head (well, unless I have a deliberately floppy portion, but that's a feature, not a bug), but no matter how I make them they slowly migrate down my head.

Kaelee
April 19th, 2014, 06:08 PM
Sometimes, depending on the bun, the bun will tilt a little bit to the right as it settles into it's most stable position, which can be annoying when I'm using a flexi-8 and want it to be horizontal.

Oh, this can be annoying. I don't mind it so much with flexis, but Ficcares are heavy enough that it can get uncomfortable when that happens!

queenovnight
April 19th, 2014, 06:08 PM
I only feel mine moving when im running around like a mad woman.

chen bao jun
April 19th, 2014, 06:29 PM
No, my bun doesn't move, though I can wiggle it around a little if I want. But I don't have slippery hair, I'm a curly so my hair doesn't tend to fall down.
And I'm so glad some people can fit size smalls even though they have very long, very thick hair, longer than mine, maybe thicker. This is truly the best of all worlds if you can manage it and it is lucky for them. If I could have figured out how to fit size small ficcares, i could have kept two of my favorites ever (my brown and cream leopard and my orange lotus brite) and I did post many questions asking for advice as to how people managed this, but it didn't work and I got tired of trying. Some seem to think that if you claim to wear a larger size, you are somehow claiming that your hair is longer or thicker than it is, but I don't see it that way; different hairtypes can make a big difference and also people are different in what they find comfortable to wear and there are all sorts of other variables.
Even the flexi-8 hairsite admits that people with poufy and curly hair have entirely different sizing needs than other hairtypes regardless of length of thickness and this is also true of other hairtoys, as I found out with ficcare. Maybe in the future I will figure it out (I do think that when I have enough length to do center held buns, I will, strangely enough, be able to fit some smaller hair toys than I can now, when I have nothing to wind around a toy), but it doesn't work for me NOW.

Kaelee
April 19th, 2014, 06:56 PM
Some seem to think that if you claim to wear a larger size, you are somehow claiming that your hair is longer or thicker than it is, but I don't see it that way; different hairtypes can make a big difference and also people are different in what they find comfortable to wear and there are all sorts of other variables.

This. I truly don't get it. Not just different hairtypes, but different styles require different things. My hair does NOT like to be sectioned horizontally, so a lot of sectioned styles are far more trouble than I wish to deal with. I can't close an XL flexi without serious difficulty in one bun, and in another I can easily wear a Large flexi, and can even squish a medium in there (with difficulty.) It's because of the styles I choose to wear, nothing more. It's not a pissing contest.

I actually have a theory that longer hair can wear smaller sizes successfully because longer hair can rely more on the mechanics of the bun, and less on the hairtoy. If you can just clip the end of one coil and have it hold securely all day, then you'll be able to wear a much smaller size than if you have to contain the majority of the bun in order for it to be secure- I'm finding as my hair gets longer I can only hold part of a bun and actually get it to hold (again, what kind of bun makes a difference here) whereas with shorter hair that doesn't wrap as many times around, I need the extra hold to keep it from slipping out.

chen bao jun
April 19th, 2014, 07:05 PM
This. I truly don't get it. Not just different hairtypes, but different styles require different things. My hair does NOT like to be sectioned horizontally, so a lot of sectioned styles are far more trouble than I wish to deal with. I can't close an XL flexi without serious difficulty in one bun, and in another I can easily wear a Large flexi, and can even squish a medium in there (with difficulty.) It's because of the styles I choose to wear, nothing more. It's not a pissing contest.

I actually have a theory that longer hair can wear smaller sizes successfully because longer hair can rely more on the mechanics of the bun, and less on the hairtoy. If you can just clip the end of one coil and have it hold securely all day, then you'll be able to wear a much smaller size than if you have to contain the majority of the bun in order for it to be secure- I'm finding as my hair gets longer I can only hold part of a bun and actually get it to hold (again, what kind of bun makes a difference here) whereas with shorter hair that doesn't wrap as many times around, I need the extra hold to keep it from slipping out.

I'm hoping this will happen eventually for me, but its some ways off. Like--two years most probably. As a curly, I do not show growth very quickly, although I am definitely growing.
Thanks for your post, Kaelee.

Kaelee
April 19th, 2014, 07:14 PM
I'm hoping this will happen eventually for me, but its some ways off. Like--two years most probably. As a curly, I do not show growth very quickly, although I am definitely growing.
Thanks for your post, Kaelee.

One of the benefits of curly hair (especially really tight curly hair) is that it sticks to itself, so you might not be as far off as you think. :)

I think nautilus bun is one of the first buns people tend to learn, but I had to be waist before I could successfully manage it and have it look decent and be comfortable (and once the length was there, it's easy! And comfortable!)

chen bao jun
April 19th, 2014, 07:38 PM
Yes, my hair does stick to itself! Probably why my buns don't move, lol.

ARG
April 19th, 2014, 07:55 PM
Yes, a lot. I've bunned tight enough to get headaches and they come tumbling down regardless, but I blame that on my silly spur of the moment decision at the stylists last year to get chin length layers (which are now APL). I am now accepting of the fact that my hair won't stay all day in a neat bun and by the end of the day it will look messy, but at least I'm not stressing my tresses and causing breakage.

On a side note: I think hair toy size is a very personal decision and everyone has to make it based on what they're comfortable with wearing and how they like their hair to look.

lapushka
April 20th, 2014, 06:42 AM
On a side note: I think hair toy size is a very personal decision and everyone has to make it based on what they're comfortable with wearing and how they like their hair to look.

Personally, I think it's just the basics. If it's too big and your bun swims around, then honey, get a grip, it's too big. Same reason why you wouldn't want to wear baggy clothes - too big. At least that's the way I see it. :)

Madora
April 20th, 2014, 07:42 AM
My buns are never tight. I prefer comfortable, sectioned buns and have never had trouble with them moving on me.

My braided bed bun has moved on occasion but that's because I braid it loosely. I'm a restless sleeper so that contributes to the movement too.

Kaelee
April 20th, 2014, 10:55 AM
Personally, I think it's just the basics. If it's too big and your bun swims around, then honey, get a grip, it's too big. Same reason why you wouldn't want to wear baggy clothes - too big. At least that's the way I see it. :)

This is true, absolutely. There are more reasons why a bun would be loose rather than just big hairtoys though.

SunnyIC
April 20th, 2014, 11:20 AM
Sometimes mine does, but that usually means it's going to fall down (I blame the layers right now, can't get it to stay in place). But usually when I do it properly it doesn't move. I also have the problem of doing them too tight and getting headaches, but I'm learning how to not pull so much on it or not twisting so harshly so it won't hurt the scalp.

chen bao jun
April 20th, 2014, 11:54 AM
A too-big hair toy is uncomfortable and usually unwearable (at least for any length of time).

Crumpet
April 20th, 2014, 12:00 PM

Yes! I can wear all three Ficcare sizes for this reason. The medium is the most versatile on me though. Ficcares are good because my bun migrates down less than with sticks.

Crumpet
April 20th, 2014, 12:03 PM
Sorry for the double post, but...isn't it strange to buy too-big hair bling for the bragging rights? And bragging rights among a select few? I think most people with too-big hair kit are probably like me -- wanting to invest in a long-term piece while you are still growing. Medium Ficcares are my favorite size, but sometimes I feel I ought to be buying larges because they can be hard to purchase. I'm guessing others also think like me?

Quixii
April 20th, 2014, 12:08 PM
I try to make my buns so that they move as little as possible.

Every time I read the title, though, I find myself humming:
Does your bun hang low
Does it wobble to and fro
Can you tie it in a knot
Can you tie it in a bow
Can you throwit o'er your shoulder
Like a continental soldier
Does your bun hang low?

curlsgalore
April 20th, 2014, 12:26 PM

Does your bun hang low
Can you tie it in a knot
Can you tie it in a bow
Does your bun hang low?

Haha, I love it!

Munnu12
April 20th, 2014, 12:43 PM
Almost always! if I tie them tight, my scalp feels sore. So they are on the looser side. I don't mind as long as they don't undo all together ;)

VanillaTresses
April 20th, 2014, 02:46 PM
I like mine to be snug most of the time, but not super tight! :D

Kaelee
April 20th, 2014, 02:59 PM
Sorry for the double post, but...isn't it strange to buy too-big hair bling for the bragging rights? And bragging rights among a select few? I think most people with too-big hair kit are probably like me -- wanting to invest in a long-term piece while you are still growing. Medium Ficcares are my favorite size, but sometimes I feel I ought to be buying larges because they can be hard to purchase. I'm guessing others also think like me?

It's not odd if you're buying Ficcares, I think a lot of people do this because many of them are irreplaceable! With almost any other hairtoy, I can buy the proper size and know that I can buy a bigger size as needed, but not so with Ficcares, so people buy them to grow into, or buy them for resale value (larges are more in demand).

ETA: I meant that it's not odd to buy large Ficcares to "grow into", not that it's not odd to buy them for "bragging rights"- that just wouldn't make sense to me. As Chen said, too large hairtoys are uncomfortable or don't work well, so I can't imagine buying them, but people sometimes do weird things so I don't know. I just think the whole "my hairtoy is bigger than your hairtoy" thing is completely asinine.

Does your bun hang low
Can you tie it in a knot
Can you tie it in a bow
Does your bun hang low?

LOL!!!!!! :lol:

cat11
April 20th, 2014, 05:48 PM
finding the balance for secure but comfortable on my scalp has been the biggest issue for me with hit sticks and forks but I find that if I wind the bun itself loose but then put in the fork in a medium tight way thats secure but doesn't leverage lots of scalp hair works well. loose bun, tight sticks. I don't like when my bun moves around but I hate feeling pulled tight

Crumpet
April 20th, 2014, 06:29 PM
It's not odd if you're buying Ficcares, I think a lot of people do this because many of them are irreplaceable! With almost any other hairtoy, I can buy the proper size and know that I can buy a bigger size as needed, but not so with Ficcares, so people buy them to grow into, or buy them for resale value (larges are more in demand).

ETA: I meant that it's not odd to buy large Ficcares to "grow into", not that it's not odd to buy them for "bragging rights"- that just wouldn't make sense to me. As Chen said, too large hairtoys are uncomfortable or don't work well, so I can't imagine buying them, but people sometimes do weird things so I don't know. I just think the whole "my hairtoy is bigger than your hairtoy" thing is completely asinine.

I completely agree!

Frozen_Farmgirl
April 20th, 2014, 07:24 PM
I have fine and slippery hair so usually by the end of the day or earlier my bun has loosened or slipped quite a bit.

Imalath
April 20th, 2014, 07:59 PM
I pretty much cement my buns to my head with spin pins every morning, but when I coil them into shape I make sure that the hair around my temple and crown is loose enough I don't have to worry about breakage. Unless I'm really active or doing something that leaves me inverted for long periods of time (gardening, etc), my buns pretty much stay together, although they do slide down to the back of my head by bedtime.

ashke50
April 21st, 2014, 05:30 AM
My buns don't usually move, but if I do styles that are held with only one hair stick they do sometimes waggle. This is why I usually use buns that work with flexis or spin pins instead.

eadwine
April 21st, 2014, 05:37 AM
I wear medium flexis most of the time, center eaten so to speak. Or small ficcares in the same spot.

I can headbang with my bun in, it will not move. I work the kind of job where if things come loose it is not a good thing and people will tell me (and rightfully so) to quit fussing with my hair and use something that fits and stays put.

Kaelee
April 21st, 2014, 10:20 PM
Tonight I finally figured out what's going on...my scalp doesn't like tight buns, but a flexi holds the BUN tight, but doesn't (necessarily) hold it tight to my head. It's a weird feeling, but once I figured out what's going on, I got used to it. The bun is held solid inside the flexi, it's just not tight to my scalp so it can woggle a little. But it doesn't go anywhere.

If I make it tight to my scalp it hurts after a while (unless I use a heavy toy like a Ficcare, then it has to be snug or it hurts because it puts all the weight in one spot.)