PDA

View Full Version : Keratin, think before you act!

lapushka
April 19th, 2014, 02:11 PM
If this isn't a warning, then what is? This lady is extremely hurt and disappointed, and I so feel for her!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6ZnFXnIaGg

Blue Mermaid
April 19th, 2014, 02:20 PM
Yikes! I've been trained in cosmetology, and although I never really performed those types of treatments, they are NOT recommended for that hair type. At. All. It's more for girls with wavy/loose curls that wan't to go pin straight and reduce frizz! I feel so sorry for her.. I know a girl while I was in school who tried it because her hair was severely damaged from bleach and thought it would help her hair look smoother..it ended up making her ends way worse because they have to blow dry and flat iron your hair at a high heat and her hair could not take it! She lost about 4-5 inches from it =/

spidermom
April 19th, 2014, 02:33 PM
I didn't watch all of it, but it kind of struck me as weird that she wanted to relax her curl, then she's complaining that it's straight here and wavy there, and I end up wondering "what did she think 'relax my curl' meant?"

Lydialove
April 19th, 2014, 02:35 PM
I would imagine she was thinking it would be more consistent.

lapushka
April 19th, 2014, 02:36 PM
I didn't watch all of it, but it kind of struck me as weird that she wanted to relax her curl, then she's complaining that it's straight here and wavy there, and I end up wondering "what did she think 'relax my curl' meant?"

An all over looser texture, maybe? ;)

YamaMaya
April 19th, 2014, 03:01 PM
I don't think she meant for it to be that uneven and damaged looking. It's obviously one of those silly hair mistakes we all make at some point or another. Mine was with bleach, and I learned my lesson when I bleached then dyed over then bleached again and turned my hair to straw.

spidermom
April 19th, 2014, 03:09 PM
I would imagine she was thinking it would be more consistent.

Yes, probably, but consistent? Really? Who has that? My own natural texture ranges between 1A straight-as-a-stick strands and 3A curly strands.

She said she'd had the treatment "yesterday", so maybe it will settle down into something she likes better after a few washes.

chen bao jun
April 19th, 2014, 03:34 PM
I have never heard anything good about keratin treatments in the long run. some people do get away with them 2 or even 3 times, but I am honestly surprised that there are people still out there getting those (and hair dressers giving them, getting poisoned with the formaldehyde).
My cousin had like 2 inches of uneven hair left the last time I saw her from that.
but everyone is looking for a miracle that will make their hair completely different from what it is and not be damaging, so they will always selectively look at the research out there--if they even do research.

Anabell
April 19th, 2014, 04:09 PM
I feel sorry for her because she look so upset. But it looks kind a cool to me to have different hair textures. I know that it is a lot of work (every texture need different treatment/styling method) but it is temporary, right?

I'm confused about the keratin treatment. I know that it is a kind of relaxing method (which is bad for hair). But as a chemist I know that keratin is the protein that build hair. There also conditioners that contain keratin and they not harmful for hair (beside of protein overload. But it actually can be beneficial for hair if it is need some protein). Maybe it is harmful because all the other stuff in the process (heat, formaldehyde etc.)?

I know a lot about hair but very little about hair dressing methods (color and bleach process, how to use heat tools, relaxing methods... etc.).

swearnsue
April 19th, 2014, 04:12 PM
That video was heartbreaking. Her hair was very very curly and I can see why she would want to try a gentle and all-over subtle relaxing. Her hair looks bad now.

I wonder why it came out so uneven? Would moisturizing help to "undo" some of the protein effects? IDK, I feel so bad for her though.

You know what I think would have worked good for her is a cassia treatment.

P.S. Thank you Lapushaka for the information about what can happen with keratin treatments!

Budgie
April 19th, 2014, 04:19 PM
I feel sorry for her because she look so upset. But it looks kind a cool to me to have different hair textures. I know that it is a lot of work (every texture need different treatment/styling method) but it is temporary, right?

I'm confused about the keratin treatment. I know that it is a kind of relaxing method (which is bad for hair). But as a chemist I know that keratin is the protein that build hair. There also conditioners that contain keratin and they not harmful for hair (beside of protein overload. But it actually can be beneficial for hair if it is need some protein). Maybe it is harmful because all the other stuff in the process (heat, formaldehyde etc.)?

I know a lot about hair but very little about hair dressing methods (color and bleach process, how to use heat tools, relaxing methods... etc.).

They basically coat your hair with pure keratin, then straighten it, which "bakes" the keratin into a straight shape and bonds it with the hair.

I feel so bad for her. Hopefully after 4 weeks it will have worn off.

queenovnight
April 19th, 2014, 06:20 PM
Yickes! I would be horrified if I was her. Another thing to watch out for though! - Also, I watched a video of what her hair looked like BEFORE the treatment. That change is just.. dramatic. It was so beautiful before. Another thing, from what I've read, it's meant to loosen the curls for curly girls, not straighten.

meteor
April 19th, 2014, 06:29 PM
That video made me sad. :( I really hope her gorgeous bouncy curls will come back soon after some TLC and new growth.

What made me angry is that she mentioned how the keratin "treatments" are touted as "severe protein treatments, with no chemicals, no formaldehyde...". That's just terrible that some manufacturers and salons get away with such blatant misrepresentation. To be honest, the marketing name "keratin treatment" does sound like a healthy procedure, so I believe they must warn customers about the damage it can cause.

ErinLeigh
April 19th, 2014, 08:54 PM
She should wash her hair with SLS shampoo a few times to try and get the keratin off the hair and then use deep moisture treatments for a week or so followed with citrid acid rinses to close that cuticle back down. She should be able to get hair looking better soon (the sides may have been burned though, she will need to assess in a week and decide if any needs trimmed)

Been there a few times. Cut what was burned and the rest recovered just fine.

Maybe her curl pattern is looser in the front? She did do something called keristraight right? Sound like an obvious possible side effect. If anything, the back didn't take as well as it should have. Sometimes it takes some thing like this to really appreciate what you have. Sounds like she is dealing with that. She will be just fine, if anything will be better for the experience. It is better knowing the grass isn't always greener instead of wondering.

The website gives has a video of the process.
http://www.kerastraight.com/

MandyBeth
April 19th, 2014, 10:36 PM
Wash it first day with a sulfate shampoo, most of the product apparently will wash out per Ulta and my stylist.

But, I can't say I'm sorry for her. Ulta material that you're required to sign say it's a thermal protein straightening treatment. Do minimal, basic research first - that's well known. Read exactly what you sign and make sure you talk to your stylist about what exactly you are going to put on your head. Get the first formaldehyde whiff when the product is wet and being applied, stop treatment then. Blaming everyone else for not liking a known end result just pisses me off. Be a big girl, put on your big girl panties, and think for two seconds next time.

Really, if you are that in love with your hair, why do you go do something to it without research first.

YamaMaya
April 20th, 2014, 05:27 AM
you guys should post this advice in the comments :)

woodswanderer
April 20th, 2014, 06:30 AM
I would cry about that too. I feel so bad for her.