PDA

View Full Version : Security in USA airports and hair toys

Rosa Harris
April 18th, 2014, 04:38 AM
Ok. I have a flight coming up and I don't want to take anything but a carry-along and my laptop bag.

So, my question is - will pointy hair sticks make it through security?

The last time I was pulled aside and they went over ALL my jewlry which was weird even feeling of my bracelet chars on the sides to see if they were sharp. It's been 6 years tho so hopefully things have chilled out for brown people with black hair traveling in the USA.

I still wonder th, what hairtoys make it through ok, what is questionable, and what is an absolutely NOT!

Lyv
April 18th, 2014, 05:11 AM
I don't know about hair toys but when I flew last year I wasn't allowed to keep my plastic crochet hook or nail clippers but the year before (different airport) I could have metal knitting needles. Maybe you could call the airport you'll be traveling through to see what their restrictions are.

Taenarian
April 18th, 2014, 05:15 AM
Just did the security thing the week before last and flew with an Ed Stick in my hair and five or six Ed Sticks and a few flexis in my carry-on and had no issues. Your Mileage May Vary as I went through screening in a backwater airport.

mindwiped
April 18th, 2014, 08:26 AM
I meant to place my metal hair fork in my checked bag earlier this month, but threw it in my purse on accident. It flew both ways without a single word said. I hate to say you won't have an issue, but if they'll let this through, they shouldn't have a problem with yours:
https://www.etsy.com/transaction/188385613

Nightshade
April 18th, 2014, 08:28 AM
I've had no issues flying with a Ficcare in. It didn't set off the metal sensors.

Nini
April 18th, 2014, 08:33 AM
It's impossible to say for sure until you're there. Sometimes my Ficcare start the detector, sometimes it doesn't. I once had a hairstick in my purse and the scan had them pull my bag aside. I was told I should wear it in my hair next time;)

I also have three silver bracelets that I wear all the time. Sometimes it's enough just to open their clasps, but still wear them. Other times I have to take them all the way off.

They never comment on my hairtoys when they pat me down though. For some reason I always end up as their random person to search, always!

If you have a very particular toy you're worried about I'd just leave it at home.

Kaelee
April 18th, 2014, 08:34 AM
Someone on here had to remove his Ficcare and put it through the Xray machine. :laugh:

I don't risk any particularly valuable hair toys- basically, if I would be upset to lose it to the TSA, it goes in checked baggage. Even knowing what the restrictions are, you never know if you're going to meet an overzealous TSA agent. I hear flexis are OK to go- I'm sporting a large flexi right now and I can't for the life of me imagine it being a problem (though I wouldn't try it with a Mega- that pin is huge! Plus megas cost more.) Pens and pencils make great en route hair sticks...they allow pens through all the time, and if it gets confiscated....it's a pen! Easy to replace. :lol:

I can't see them confiscating a Ficcare either though, it's not particularly weapon like, and obviously a hair accessory.

OP, what exactly did they think you were going to do with a bracelet? (I will never understand airport "security". Can't figure out the nail clippers either. I'd really like to know how they think we're going to hijack a plane with nail clippers! :lol:)

trolleypup
April 18th, 2014, 08:49 AM
I used to use a plastic hairstick...then I forgot to change the stick and there was no notice taken of the 7.5" stainless steel chopstick in my hair. Since then I just wear it. Worst comes to worst they point at it and I pull it out and they all ooh and aah over my hair and off I go. I would avoid sharp pointed and valuable hairtoys in case of overzealousness.

chen bao jun
April 18th, 2014, 08:52 AM
I find it depends on the airport.
Try being an olive skinned person with extra curly hair. People always have trouble deciding what nationality I am and in airports, I just obviously make a lot of them think 'Arab' (though Arabs don't look like this, they are thinking North African, like Moroccan or Tunisian). I usually get extra checked--on the other hand, I'd rather know they are carefully checking than think they will let someone through who will blow me and everybody else up. I've been through airports where they just waved everybody through and it makes me SCARED.
Wood doesn't set anything off. And my ficcares have always gotten through fine.
If I'm going to knit or crochet I used plastic hooks and wood knitting needles. Bonus: my wooden knitting needles make great hair toys.

lunalocks
April 18th, 2014, 09:11 AM
I have made it thorough with bamboo knitting needles ( in my knitting) and big forks in my hair. Twice they have patted down my bun, but no problem with the 6 inch fork.

torrilin
April 18th, 2014, 09:24 AM
At this point, I always get a little bit of special sauce. Once it was my socks. Knee high socks are a sure sign of a terrorist. Sometimes it's my underwear, because all terrorists wear long underwear in winter in Chicago, or my lack of purse because women who don't use purses are all terrorists or they're convinced that bay leaves and whole nutmegs are pot or they think my ADD medications are illegal drugs... You name it, they've had a hissy fit over something harmless and explicitly allowed. And I'm white. Pale enough that it's hard to buy foundation type white, because a lot of brands don't make shades light enough. I can't imagine what the harassment would be like as a darker skinned person or a trans person. And from flying with my mom, I know they make a point of harassing people with disabilities. Mom has a hip replacement and a shoulder replacement, and TSA agents are always very sure to search her exceptionally thoroughly.

That said, your hair toys probably won't trigger a search. They have been searching hair more actively over the past year, as near as I can tell because it's a good way to engage in institutional sexism.

The fun part is they happily ignore my Xanax, which is an easily abused prescription drug. My Strattera, which is not addictive or useful to non-ADD patients is very very scary and if my medications are searched, that's the one that gets a zillion questions.

I usually stick with spin pins, braids, or the cheap Goody hair fork for travel. They're comfy and the hair toys are cheap if a TSA agent is an ass. Assume they're out looking for power trips and that anything even slightly different will get lots of attention. Big airports like O'Hare are much easier to deal with than the itty bitty ones (at least for me as a ghost white woman... that may be my white privilege talking).

Kaelee
April 18th, 2014, 09:32 AM
At this point, I always get a little bit of special sauce. Once it was my socks. Knee high socks are a sure sign of a terrorist. Sometimes it's my underwear, because all terrorists wear long underwear in winter in Chicago, or my lack of purse because women who don't use purses are all terrorists or they're convinced that bay leaves and whole nutmegs are pot or they think my ADD medications are illegal drugs... You name it, they've had a hissy fit over something harmless and explicitly allowed. And I'm white. Pale enough that it's hard to buy foundation type white, because a lot of brands don't make shades light enough. I can't imagine what the harassment would be like as a darker skinned person or a trans person. And from flying with my mom, I know they make a point of harassing people with disabilities. Mom has a hip replacement and a shoulder replacement, and TSA agents are always very sure to search her exceptionally thoroughly.

That said, your hair toys probably won't trigger a search. They have been searching hair more actively over the past year, as near as I can tell because it's a good way to engage in institutional sexism.

The fun part is they happily ignore my Xanax, which is an easily abused prescription drug. My Strattera, which is not addictive or useful to non-ADD patients is very very scary and if my medications are searched, that's the one that gets a zillion questions.

I usually stick with spin pins, braids, or the cheap Goody hair fork for travel. They're comfy and the hair toys are cheap if a TSA agent is an ass. Assume they're out looking for power trips and that anything even slightly different will get lots of attention. Big airports like O'Hare are much easier to deal with than the itty bitty ones (at least for me as a ghost white woman... that may be my white privilege talking).

Your post made me giggle. I know someone who is the most non-threatening typical white middle aged housewife looking lady you can imagine- she ALWAYS gets searched, and says she believes she's the token non-threatening white person for them to "randomly" search so that they can look less racist for profiling everyone else.

My hair almost always gets patted down. If I wear it in braids, I get away without hassle, but if it's up or in a bun, it's always searched. They're usually apologetic about it too, and really, I wouldn't mind taking it down (and if I wear it in an outright bun, which I've never done before at an airport, I will probably have to. A quick pat is not going to reveal if anything is hidden in my bun. I was surprised they didn't search my braids when I wore them last time!)

SkyChild
April 18th, 2014, 10:10 AM
How weird! I've never thought about this before.
Go for something cheap and un-scary looking in case they decide to swipe it.

I usually forget to take off my spiky metal belt before going through airport security, and it lurks under a huge black hoodie so they invariably think I've got a bomb strapped under there. Fortunately I've never been to America. I suspect they wouldn't let me in

Kherome
April 18th, 2014, 10:14 AM
TSA official policy is that knitting and crochet tools are allowed. I always print off their own policy page and if they give me any crap I show them that they are trying to violate their own policies.

That said, I usually fly in a TT or Jeterfork. They've never attempted to take them away, nor even bothered with them.

Vanilla
April 18th, 2014, 12:03 PM
My ficcare and extra large flexi 8 have set off the metal detectors at a few different airports, and I had to take down my hair each time and put them in the bin with my other things that were going through the X-ray machine. It happened in LA, Colorado and NY.

Security at the NY airports seems to be much more strict than almost anywhere domestically that I've flown to, so if I'm questioning if I'll make it through security with it in my hair or in my carry on bag, I will just check it.

I never fly with a fork in my hair, as most of mine are super sharp and wouldn't want to get them confiscated. I suppose an acrylic stick might be ok to use as well.

I am also one of those people that gets extra security screening almost every time I fly. It's been like this since I was in college, I guess mostly because I travelled a lot alone.

roseomalley
April 18th, 2014, 12:58 PM
I usually get pat down when I wear my long skirts. I am 67 years old and white. If I have slacks on, I am rarely stopped.

darklyndsea
April 18th, 2014, 01:44 PM
Apparently some (many?) of the patdowns are to find drugs, not weapons, which at least makes patting down hair make a little bit more sense.

I've never had a problem with hair toy confiscation, even with the metal knitting needles on the bottom of my purse. Better safe than sorry with expensive toys, though...they're allowed to use their own discretion, and you might get that one guy.

Katlette
April 18th, 2014, 03:05 PM
or my lack of purse because women who don't use purses are all terrorists

This! I only fly frequently within Europe (I'm assuming security is a bit more chill here?) but this is the one thing that seems to cause problems - or, if not problems, at least a lot of questions.

I've never heard of hair being patted down before, though it does make sense if they're doing the search anyway. Again, my experience is only in Europe so this doesn't really answer your question, but nothing seems to be problematic as long as it's in my hair.

harpgal
April 18th, 2014, 03:27 PM
I just got back from a trip down to Florida. I usually wear one braid around my head held with tiny claw clips and never have any trouble. However, I wouldn't wear an expensive hairstick. Instead, I would wear a cheap one and pack my expensive ones.

One thing, though...don't wear those jeans that have all the bling on the back pockets. I got my back-side patted for that. But then again, I look like a big threat...white as a ghost, mid 60s, and lots of silver hair. *sigh* Oh well...

Laurenji
April 18th, 2014, 03:44 PM
My hair almost always gets patted down. If I wear it in braids, I get away without hassle, but if it's up or in a bun, it's always searched. They're usually apologetic about it too, and really, I wouldn't mind taking it down (and if I wear it in an outright bun, which I've never done before at an airport, I will probably have to. A quick pat is not going to reveal if anything is hidden in my bun. I was surprised they didn't search my braids when I wore them last time!)

Once I was wearing a braid, and they had me go through the big "extra radiation scanner machine" thing. I had my braid over my shoulder. They scanned me, stopped, made me stand to one side for a while, and finally the TSA lady next to me says into her radio, "on her shoulder? That's just a braid."

So apparently braids look like weapons or something if you have to go through those backscatter scanners. lol.

ETA:

I usually get pat down when I wear my long skirts. I am 67 years old and white. If I have slacks on, I am rarely stopped.

When I wore a skirt, they patted me down too. They made sure they could feel my legs. I guess it's because if you're wearing a skirt, you might be holding a bomb between your legs or something.

AmyBeth
April 18th, 2014, 08:39 PM
TSA checks seem so arbitrary to me, I can't be sure, so I will pack any precious hair toys in my suitcase, and fly with a simple braid, always wearing the braid down my front where I can keep an eye on it. I also get to the airport early enough so that if something I can't bear to part with doesn't make it through security, I have time to turn around and mail the item back to myself rather than surrendering it to security. They always pat my braid down too. Buns were too much trouble because some of the agents made me take them down.

meteor
April 18th, 2014, 08:50 PM
I always wear a very small wooden/acrylic stick, no bobby pins and no metal, so I won't have to take it out. Also, from my experience, you don't want to wear anything flashy/sparkly, because it tends to set off curiosity in TSA guys and they want to see what it is.

They always pat my braid down too. Buns were too much trouble because some of the agents made me take them down.
Yikes, I'm sorry to hear that. Thank god it never happened to me, even though my updos/braids tend to be pretty fat.

Larki
April 18th, 2014, 08:54 PM
TSA is so weird. I set off the alarm walking through the metal detector thing several weeks ago, and they made me go through the x-ray thing where you stand with your arms above your head. Apparently there was something up with a spot on my chest, like kind of between my breast and shoulder, because the lady had to pat me down. I still have no idea what the problem was, and the lady seemed kinda confused as well. I was wearing a sports bra, so it's not like there were wires in my bra or something. :confused: Very weird.

Kaelee
April 18th, 2014, 09:14 PM
TSA is so weird. I set off the alarm walking through the metal detector thing several weeks ago, and they made me go through the x-ray thing where you stand with your arms above your head. Apparently there was something up with a spot on my chest, like kind of between my breast and shoulder, because the lady had to pat me down. I still have no idea what the problem was, and the lady seemed kinda confused as well. I was wearing a sports bra, so it's not like there were wires in my bra or something. :confused: Very weird.

Have you ever had surgery? I ask because I've heard crazy stories of instruments being left inside people...and airport security is exactly how they tend to be found. :bigeyes:

Larki
April 18th, 2014, 09:24 PM
Have you ever had surgery? I ask because I've heard crazy stories of instruments being left inside people...and airport security is exactly how they tend to be found. :bigeyes:
I've had several, but nothing above the knee! That would be crazy though.

ashke50
April 19th, 2014, 04:00 AM
When I go through airport security I generally do my hair in a simple plaited bun. That way I can put whatever I held the bun up with into the tray to be scanned and my hair is still contained. Also makes it easy to nap on the plane.

Kherome
April 19th, 2014, 06:22 AM
Buns were too much trouble because some of the agents made me take them down.

Huh, they never make me take mine down even though I always offer. Maybe it's BECAUSE I offer? I have had them squeeze it though. Typically I fly through LAX, O'Hare, and OGG (Hawaii). I always get special attention anyway because I fly with a Service Dog. And I refuse to go through the naked body scanner.

Long_hair_bear
April 19th, 2014, 07:23 AM
I'm just going to play it safe and wear a braid. :)

GoldenSilk
April 19th, 2014, 05:17 PM
I usually wear my hair down or in a braid and put it back in a bun after I leave security. I did get stopped before because I had a 9 inch blunt steel chopstick in my bag to use for wet hair during the trip. The agent thought it was a knitting needle and was confused why there was only one. To be honest, I think she was just stalling me so they could check something else, but I have no proof what it was.

I've never been patted down, hair or otherwise, but I do seem to get swabbed for bomb residue quite a lot. (I'm white, in my 20s, female, and usually travel alone.)

One time, they took my 2 inch folding embroidery scissors, but left my seam ripper. I was annoyed at the time, but I can laugh about it now. :lol: I do make sure not to bring my hair scissors because of that, though. Even though they say scissors under 4 inches are allowed, you can always get that one "agent's discretion", and if you point out that they're going against the policy, they usually get more adamant to take it. =/ I don't own any expensive hairtoys, but I probably wouldn't fly with them at all if I did... Afraid the TSA would take them, or my checked baggage would get lost.

Natalia
April 19th, 2014, 05:25 PM
I havent flown in a few years but its varies alot depending on where youa re flying into and out of. My mom on her way from LAX (California) to Louisiana had alot more hassle than on the way back. So major California airports can be stricter but sometime smaller ones like Burbank arent. Sometimes it has to do with that particular airport. Burbank is not good to fly out of if you have alot of medical equipment and prescriptions you have to carry on where as LAX is more user friendly int hat aspect. It can really be a toss up, though in general id say avoid hairsticks. I know my aunt has had all manner of crochet and knitting items taken away in multiple states.

me_random
April 19th, 2014, 06:08 PM
The last time I went through Chicago-O'Hare (february, departing internationally) , they had to grope my hair (apparently the scanner thought there was something in it, but it was just my 6" wooden fork, which they didn't say anything about strangely enough)

Alun
April 22nd, 2014, 11:10 PM
I find it depends on the airport.
Try being an olive skinned person with extra curly hair. People always have trouble deciding what nationality I am and in airports, I just obviously make a lot of them think 'Arab' (though Arabs don't look like this, they are thinking North African, like Moroccan or Tunisian). I usually get extra checked--on the other hand, I'd rather know they are carefully checking than think they will let someone through who will blow me and everybody else up. I've been through airports where they just waved everybody through and it makes me SCARED.
Wood doesn't set anything off. And my ficcares have always gotten through fine.
If I'm going to knit or crochet I used plastic hooks and wood knitting needles. Bonus: my wooden knitting needles make great hair toys.

An Algerian friend of mine was once accused of being a Pakistani at London Heathrow Airport, with his Algerian passport and ticket home to Algeria! He does look a typical North African and his hair was basically a 'freakout' style. How anyone could think someone with that hair was Pakistani .... but a lot of security people are pretty clueless about ethnicity, that's the bottom line.

Rosa Harris
April 23rd, 2014, 04:19 AM
Alun: very clueless. I'm Roma so usually mistaken for Native American and I am from South Georgia, USA and I sound like I'm from 'da swamp' but I have been hasseled on the way back every time since 9/11. At JFK I was detained for 2 hours and missed my flight because I had a one-way ticket. I had rode there by car with friends who were passing through my area.

Kaelee
April 23rd, 2014, 07:46 AM
This makes my head hurt. It shouldn't matter WHAT ethnicity you are! For cripes' sake.... :rant: This is 2014 not 1900....

lunasea
April 23rd, 2014, 08:09 AM
:pirate:I asked this same question on the fine, thin hair thread! What motivated me is that I've had my fine, thin hair searched. Some of you probably already know that I can't even hide a bun form in there- much less any weaponry. As I said on the other thread, if 59-year-old skinny, arthritic me can take over the plane with a wooden hair stick, or even a much more dangerous ficcare, maybe I deserve to be in charge.

Charybdis
April 23rd, 2014, 08:56 AM
I've gone through many airports with my 5" and 6" Ead acrylic sticks in my cosmetics bag, and they've never been looked at or remarked on. Then again, I'm white. :-/

Usually I have my hair in a single braid, so if some overzealous agent wants to squeeze it, it's not a big deal.

lunasea, my observation is that, for secondary screening, TSA agents tend to select brown-skinned people (racial profiling), people with assistive devices like wheelchairs (someone saw that episode of Breaking Bad where the nursing home got blown up, I guess? That cane could possibly be a blow-gun in disguise?), and middle-aged white ladies (you and me). I believe the last category stems from the following:

"Look, look! We search white people too, see? We can't possibly be racist!"

"Hmm, middle-aged white lady who's probably either traveling on business or going to see family. Yeah, she's not going to fuss because she doesn't want any delays, and she probably doesn't have a planet-sized ego and a PR firm like Mr. Big Shot over there with the Italian shoes and the watch that costs 15 grand. OK, middle-aged white lady it is."

Whole thing is a farce that wastes immense sums of taxpayer money. Meanwhile, school-aged kids can walk onto the tarmac and stow away in the wheel well.

All that said, I don't wear or carry on my Grahtoe fork when traveling, because the points on that sucker could do serious damage. I couldn't totally blame airport security for taking that one off me.

Kimberly
April 23rd, 2014, 02:06 PM
As I would like to avoid radiation, groping, and nudie pics, and feel the searches have gone past the point of constitutionality, I gave up commercial flights. I fly with my pilot friend in a private plane, or take Amtrak.

Rosa Harris
April 23rd, 2014, 02:55 PM
As I would like to avoid radiation, groping, and nudie pics, and feel the searches have gone past the point of constitutionality, I gave up commercial flights. I fly with my pilot friend in a private plane, or take Amtrak.

I would love to be able to do Amtrak. I did that when I lived in San Diego quite a bit but sadly there is nothing here but *gasp* Grayhound and the last time I did that I got passenger-groped, sat by someone smoking crack, and scared to death by an insane driver.

Lady Mary
April 23rd, 2014, 03:10 PM

Right there with you. I've not flown since all of this started. I'll drive or just stay home.

jeanniet
April 23rd, 2014, 04:18 PM
My father is Indian and very definitely not "white," and flew many, many times domestically and internationally (Brazil, China, Europe, India, Uganda, Columbia) out of SFO between 2001 and about 2010. Never more than basic security. So while there may be some level of profiling based on skin color, it's by no means universal.

truepeacenik
April 23rd, 2014, 04:31 PM
My recent experiences are Oakland airport, Denver, Chicago Midway, LAX and La Guardia.
No issues with sticks. And mine are all 6 inches or more.

Tomorrow this pasty pale redheaded gal wearing a Star of David is traveling with a US citizen born in China. Let's see how it goes. DEN- LaGuardia.
I'm flying with a 27L backpack and a scottevest.
I think the big deal at Denver is don't take the legal pot with you, because is isn't legal outside the state.

Taenarian
April 23rd, 2014, 04:36 PM
Waltzed through Logan (Boston) just now wearing a Ketlyo with four more sticks, a wooden fork and two Flexis in my carry on.

Charybdis
April 23rd, 2014, 06:07 PM
My father is Indian and very definitely not "white," and flew many, many times domestically and internationally (Brazil, China, Europe, India, Uganda, Columbia) out of SFO between 2001 and about 2010. Never more than basic security. So while there may be some level of profiling based on skin color, it's by no means universal.

When referring to "secondary screening", I was talking about wanding / pat-down / bag search / explosives swab. Just based on probabilities, I have to assume your father was subject to these from time-to-time post-9/11? I don't personally know anyone of any race who's been detained by TSA and/or local police for questioning, or prevented from boarding, although I know there are a lot of people out there hit by the no-fly list. The individuals I know who are most often subjected to secondary screening are brown-skinned men of Middle Eastern appearance, with names that are very common among the Arab Muslim population. Those guys get hassled A LOT.

I do think (hope?) SFO may not be quite so bad with the racial profiling due to the ethnic mix of the local population.

Syren_Curls
April 23rd, 2014, 08:43 PM
Well, I am one of those who always has either lost baggage or a special/expanded search and I have done a lot of traveling. Some of it alone and some of it with others. I've had my hair alone checked and it was in a simple braid in the back. I've also had just my chest searched too. That was interesting :-/

I've also traveled two days after being assaulted where I was limping and had TSA stop me while I was walking in the airport, not even at security yet, and ask me why I was limping then asking why again and again (in an accusatory tone) after telling them what happened and finally just outright asking if I was hiding anything on my leg. I began to pull my capri's up so they could see and they just walked away. Smh. Also, I traveled with a diabetic who had an infusium set attached that dispensed insulin into his body. He told me that he always gets hassled and has to go through several times, even after explaining. You would think they would be relatively informed or trained.

It depends on so many things: where you are, where you're going, what you look like, what your name is, what they imagine you're traveling for, and the random people working TSA that day. Because of the fact that there are too many variables that just can't be controlled, I would just try and pull off a pinless bun or a pen/pencil/chopstick for eating. Not worth the aggravation for me, personally, because I always get *some* level of it already and it would be nice to just have a relatively peacful experience.

Larki
April 23rd, 2014, 08:47 PM
^Oh my gosh, really? You've had the TSA go nuts over a limp?! That's insane! I have a permanent limp and don't think any of them ever looked at me twice because of it. :p So weird that a limp would be suspicious.

Angellen
April 23rd, 2014, 08:49 PM
Last time I went through with my hair up I was stopped so they could squish my hair and make sure I wasn't hiding anything in my cinnabun. I usually wear a wooden stick with a blunt end just to be on the safe side. Never had a problem with toys in my bag, though.

Syren_Curls
April 23rd, 2014, 09:14 PM
^Oh my gosh, really? You've had the TSA go nuts over a limp?! That's insane! I have a permanent limp and don't think any of them ever looked at me twice because of it. :p So weird that a limp would be suspicious.

Yup! It felt so bizarre to me! Thanks for validating that, lol. I'm glad they leave you alone, though, and hope it stays that way. But they always give me, ahem, extra special attention anyway and I guess the limp made me stand out even more.

jeanniet
April 23rd, 2014, 10:12 PM
When referring to "secondary screening", I was talking about wanding / pat-down / bag search / explosives swab. Just based on probabilities, I have to assume your father was subject to these from time-to-time post-9/11? I don't personally know anyone of any race who's been detained by TSA and/or local police for questioning, or prevented from boarding, although I know there are a lot of people out there hit by the no-fly list. The individuals I know who are most often subjected to secondary screening are brown-skinned men of Middle Eastern appearance, with names that are very common among the Arab Muslim population. Those guys get hassled A LOT.

I do think (hope?) SFO may not be quite so bad with the racial profiling due to the ethnic mix of the local population.

Nothing more than shoe removal, typical stuff. Nothing extra, although maybe wanding. Certainly no pat-downs or searches. None of my other relatives have gotten any "special treatment" either, at least that I've heard. He flew out of SFO but also in/out of airports all over the U.S. So "brown skin" or Middle Eastern appearance doesn't automatically mean profiling. I haven't run into anything myself, but then I'm maybe not quite "brown" enough, lol.

mindwiped
April 24th, 2014, 01:12 AM
Yup! It felt so bizarre to me! Thanks for validating that, lol. I'm glad they leave you alone, though, and hope it stays that way. But they always give me, ahem, extra special attention anyway and I guess the limp made me stand out even more.

I'd broken my foot, right after the idiot with the shoe bomb, and was traveling in the blue velcro boot the doctors use if the break's not bad enough for a cast. TSA first told me it had to go in the bin, I said I would be happy to, could she please take it from me at the bench after the metal detector that's there for people getting searched, since I'm not supposed to walk without it. Then she realized that it was a medical boot, and just swabbed it, refusing to let me remove it to go through the detector. Then they decided that DH needed the full check, open up everything and grope you all over. We endured all this to fly through the tail end of a hurricane, and watch the ocean, since the double red flag meant we couldn't go in. (the lifeguards didn't mind ankle deep, but not any further.)

Sorry for the derail of the thread

Pierre
April 24th, 2014, 06:39 AM
I get no problem with my Flexis, but Pat Downs always wants to know what my beard is (it's tucked in my shirt), and once I got asked about my concertina.

embee
April 24th, 2014, 07:23 AM
Have not flown in years. When DD married, I thought I was finally free to go, but hadn't the money. Now I don't want the hassle of gropes, nudie scans, body checks. Don't like being touched by strangers.

Syren_Curls
April 26th, 2014, 10:54 AM
I'd broken my foot, right after the idiot with the shoe bomb, and was traveling in the blue velcro boot the doctors use if the break's not bad enough for a cast. TSA first told me it had to go in the bin, I said I would be happy to, could she please take it from me at the bench after the metal detector that's there for people getting searched, since I'm not supposed to walk without it. Then she realized that it was a medical boot, and just swabbed it, refusing to let me remove it to go through the detector. Then they decided that DH needed the full check, open up everything and grope you all over. We endured all this to fly through the tail end of a hurricane, and watch the ocean, since the double red flag meant we couldn't go in. (the lifeguards didn't mind ankle deep, but not any further.)

Sorry for the derail of the thread

That sounds like a nightmare,mindwiped. I hope your return flight was a much better experience and that the beach-watching was at least of a pretty beach... another good example of how varied security at the airports can be, though.

mindwiped
April 27th, 2014, 02:53 AM
That sounds like a nightmare,mindwiped. I hope your return flight was a much better experience and that the beach-watching was at least of a pretty beach... another good example of how varied security at the airports can be, though.

It just seems to be how my luck runs when DH and I travel together. I had another flight that I had to make a police statement before they'd let me get my checked bag. Then idiot in front of me had vandalized the lav, and was belligerent with the flight attendants.

RavennaNight
April 27th, 2014, 05:18 AM
When I flew 2 years ago to Florida and back, I had no issues with my hair or buns or hair toys and the TSA. They seemed more concerned with examining and molesting my sister's cats, which I was helping to transport. Had to take them out of the carriers, squirming and upset, to have them swabbed for explosives, and put back in. Anyone who has cats knows this doesn't go smoothly, and is unpleasant for the cat as well as the human. Swabbing cats for bombs. I get it, people are sick, sick bastards, and do use animals as mules. It's just awful we have to go through this because those sick bastards are out there.

Syren_Curls
April 27th, 2014, 04:23 PM
It just seems to be how my luck runs when DH and I travel together. I had another flight that I had to make a police statement before they'd let me get my checked bag. Then idiot in front of me had vandalized the lav, and was belligerent with the flight attendants.

Wow... that sounds pleasant (sarcasm). I really hope your next travels are less adventurous.

RavennaNight... poor kitties :-(

Sounds like, while the experience may be all kinds of unpleasant, most hair toys aren't the major focal point of that. Let us know how it goes for you, OP.