PDA

View Full Version : The continual bangs/no bangs debate in my brain - help! Pics.

patienceneeded
April 17th, 2014, 10:38 AM
Yep. I'm trying to decide if I should maintain my bangs or let them grow. My 7 year old daughter wants me to grow them out. DH doesn't care. I have about an equal amount of things I like and hate about my bangs and am therefore having a hard time deciding.

Pros - They look nice when styled. They soften my features. I don't look as harsh with my hair pulled up.
Cons - Daily washing, blowdrying, flat-ironing (if they get wet I have to repeat the process. I continually hide from the rain). I think they look goofy with my hair down. Sweaty forehead.

Here are pics!

Hair down, with bangs and then without bangs.

http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s394/Kirsten_MacDicken/e61b7cb0-c6de-4106-bb6c-c6f92323624f_zps328c3626.jpg (http://s1049.photobucket.com/user/Kirsten_MacDicken/media/e61b7cb0-c6de-4106-bb6c-c6f92323624f_zps328c3626.jpg.html) http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s394/Kirsten_MacDicken/031ffee0-c6c8-4fdb-b9f3-11263e6b5096_zps352bd3ee.jpg (http://s1049.photobucket.com/user/Kirsten_MacDicken/media/031ffee0-c6c8-4fdb-b9f3-11263e6b5096_zps352bd3ee.jpg.html)

And here is my hair up, with bangs and then without.

http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s394/Kirsten_MacDicken/7bd3074b-455c-4a21-88d9-81965a560be0_zps89e54476.jpg (http://s1049.photobucket.com/user/Kirsten_MacDicken/media/7bd3074b-455c-4a21-88d9-81965a560be0_zps89e54476.jpg.html) http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s394/Kirsten_MacDicken/00f4409e-804e-4642-b30d-70e708848a1f_zpsa987008b.jpg (http://s1049.photobucket.com/user/Kirsten_MacDicken/media/00f4409e-804e-4642-b30d-70e708848a1f_zpsa987008b.jpg.html)

I pinned the bangs back for the "no bangs" pics. Obviously, loose hair with no bangs would look a bit different than the "pinned back bangs with loose hair" pic.

Opinions?

ravenheather
April 17th, 2014, 10:52 AM
I vote no but you honestly look good either way.

Of the Fae
April 17th, 2014, 10:53 AM
I like bangs on you :) They frame your face in a very beautiful way.

followingup
April 17th, 2014, 11:03 AM
i prefer it without bangs also. you have a nice shaped forehead. that's why :)

cocoisfit
April 17th, 2014, 11:25 AM
I used to drive myself mad with the same question then just opted for this:
http://www.amazon.com/ANGEL--Extensions-Fashion-Fringe-fringes/dp/B00E770EMQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1397751839&sr=1-2&keywords=clip+on+bangs

Clip on bangs. And I think you look good both ways.

Sadie
April 17th, 2014, 11:30 AM
I would say no bangs :agree:

Weewah
April 17th, 2014, 11:36 AM
I vote no bangs because 1: bangs are more maintenance and 2: your forehead isn't big or anything.

oktobergoud
April 17th, 2014, 11:43 AM
I vote for bangs! I think they soften your face (not that you have a harsh face or anything, but I just think it looks better with bangs). I have bangs myself and I know how much pain in the arse they can be, and I tried growing them out, but I always keep coming back to them (I always feel the same as you 'should I or should I not?'). So I might be biased, but I honestly like the bangs a lot on you :)

sarahthegemini
April 17th, 2014, 11:56 AM
Personally prefer the look of no fringe on you.

oatmealpie
April 17th, 2014, 12:07 PM
And I vote for bangs. Looks like the vote is pretty evenly decided, so it's your call.

ErinLeigh
April 17th, 2014, 12:11 PM
For hair down I liked no bangs. For up I preferred bangs. It would be a tough decision for me if I were you.

patienceneeded
April 17th, 2014, 12:28 PM
For hair down I liked no bangs. For up I preferred bangs. It would be a tough decision for me if I were you.

I feel the same way! I like the bangs when my hair is up, but not when down. I like to wear my hair down...but don't like it with bangs. Argh. Plus, I hate the maintenance and daily styling.

Thank you everyone for your help! It's not an easy decision.

momschicklets
April 17th, 2014, 12:43 PM
Well everyone needs to ask at least once, right?? :hmm: That was me yesterday wondering the same thing about myself. Anyhow, because you're asking, I'm going to vote no bangs because I feel leaving your face uncovered highlights your nice cheekbones and appears youthful. If you want the soft look of bangs with your hair down, I like the idea of getting some clip-in bangs for a new look without the commitment, flat-ironing, maintenance, trims, etc. I might actually run over and purchase some myself ;)

Hele
April 17th, 2014, 12:52 PM
another vote for no bangs!

Macaroni
April 17th, 2014, 12:53 PM
IMHO they definitely soften your face and bonus; you look younger :)

molljo
April 17th, 2014, 03:06 PM
This is a tricky question! You're one of the lucky people who look great with them and without them. I think, maybe, you could have the best of both worlds by growing out the majority of the bangs and leave a few pieces shorter, something like this (http://cdnpix.com/show/imgs/7335db53b7ace0546a40d8fd80f67fed.jpg)? It would leave you with enough hair around your face when your hair is up, but enough of it will be long and not read as bangs when down. Does that make sense?

Whatever you choose, I think you'll look great. You have a very versatile face shape.

longNred
April 17th, 2014, 03:36 PM
no bangs. they almost look too heavy for your pretty face.

spidermom
April 17th, 2014, 04:23 PM
I usually like bangs, but on you - no. Judging by the varying opinions, sounds like you could go either way and please an equal number of people.

dollyfish
April 17th, 2014, 06:08 PM
I love those bangs! The side-swept thing really suits your face shape! But I tend to like bangs, so that's my bias talking.

I'll give you the advice I've learned myself after growing and cutting my bangs over and over these past few years. You look just as good with bangs as without bangs! Bangs change one's overall appearance very little. Know that you look just as beautiful with either style. Your face is still there!

But, that being said, I think you should side with whatever your overall aesthetic senses tell you, and with whichever style makes you feel more "you"! I'm growing out my bangs again, because I think mine are a little too short right now. But I know I'm going to cut them back in eventually, because I just feel more "me" with bangs! If your daughter wants you to grow them out, let them grow for a while. You can always cut them back in later :)

EDIT: Also, I should say a lot of it has to do with what kind of "look" you want! You look just as pretty with bangs as without. But with bangs you look more young and cute, and without bangs you look more classic, down-to-earth beautiful. So, whichever feels more your style is what you should go with, I think. I'm more cute than classic beauty, so I tend to opt for bangs...

queenovnight
April 17th, 2014, 08:05 PM
I vote 'growing them out!'

patienceneeded
April 17th, 2014, 08:23 PM
Wow! Thanks for all the help! I appreciate everyone's advice.

dollyfish Honestly, your comments are some of the nicest compliments I've heard in a long time. Thank you.

Danu
April 20th, 2014, 01:59 AM
@}-`-]-,-'- preifat -'-,-{-`-{@

Flor
April 20th, 2014, 02:14 AM
I have bangs just like yours. I can still style my hair either way ;) If I want my forehead open (or hair is getting greasy and I can't be bothered to wash), I just pin them back and there it is, problem solved. In fact, pinned back bangs look better on me than no bangs at all, because I can control better the volume I get on the top of my head (with long hair, it gets all sleeked down way too much). And it gives me an extra incentive to use all sorts of cute head bands and clips ;)

durgidog
April 20th, 2014, 11:10 AM
I like both styles on you. If you decide to keep the bangs but you don't prefer them when your hair is down - maybe try a headband that will keep them off of your face?

emilylightning
April 21st, 2014, 12:48 AM
The bangs *look* good on you, but they seem to bug you, so I vote start growing! It's not like you look bad without them!

Tini'sNewHair
April 21st, 2014, 01:03 AM
I vote

:meditate:

I chose whatever you chose, hows that? haha Seriosly you can rock both looks so it really goes down to the work it takes in mainting bangs but hey why rush to make a decission now anyway, why not let them grow for a little while and see how it feels ;)

LauraLongLocks
April 21st, 2014, 01:04 AM
I like no bangs on you. I have enjoyed my bangs for almost 3 years now but I'm growing them out. I enjoyed not having them resting against my head when exercising, and I like being able to get ALL of my hair out of the way, without the maintenance and styling. I want every bit of thickness in my ponytail as possible. That said I liked the softened look of bangs, too. So that's why I'm getting clip-in bangs for the times that I miss the look of bangs. That way I can have the best of both worlds. My biggest concern with clip-ins was that they would not work well for updos but seeing them in a few videos I can see that they will work fine.

Micayla47
April 21st, 2014, 01:33 AM
Sorry Patienceneeded, I can't help you. You look great with or without bangs! Plus I have the same on-going dilemma. I'm currently growing out my bangs for the 1000th time. :)

ErinLeigh
April 21st, 2014, 04:08 AM
This is a tricky question! You're one of the lucky people who look great with them and without them. I think, maybe, you could have the best of both worlds by growing out the majority of the bangs and leave a few pieces shorter, something like this (http://cdnpix.com/show/imgs/7335db53b7ace0546a40d8fd80f67fed.jpg)? It would leave you with enough hair around your face when your hair is up, but enough of it will be long and not read as bangs when down. Does that make sense?

Whatever you choose, I think you'll look great. You have a very versatile face shape.

I love that cut. I think blended bangs are the way to go when in quandry :) You could grow them out a few months then have them slightly blended into hair. Makes the grow out so easy and looks great with updos I think as it is very soft.
It is scary though trusting someone to blend them properly.

If you decide to keep the bangs there was a good video on youtube Browneyedsusan posted somewhere about 10 ways to wear bangs. The side twist with hair covering would look great on you for when worn down. I will see if I can find the link.

NO matter what you choose you are going to look beautiful. Your facial features could really pull off anything so hopefully you will feel confident with whatever you choose. I usually say though.. when it doubt, grow it out. It is easier to try it then cut back if you find you don't as opposed to wondering which is best.

Natalia
April 21st, 2014, 04:16 AM
Ok i havent read all the posts but my vote based on pics is keep them. I just re-cut mine though so im a little biased :p. I like the softer look and they add dimension when your hair is up. I know what a PITA maitenance can be but thus far i find it worth it for me.

leilani
April 21st, 2014, 04:17 AM
I'm also right now struggling to not cut thick/blunt bangs. The hair that would be going towards them never grows much past my chin/shoulder (depending on where on the top front of my head you're talking about) anyways so it'd be sacrificing oh so little hair and would theoretically look so cute when hair is up. Hmmm.... My fiance says don't cut 'em but he only saw when I wore thin bangs and I did the dreaded round brush drying method which made them dry in a curled under poof that was not good, but I didn't know what else to do with thin bangs to make them look like bangs, so I think they could look better if they were proper thick/blunt bangs angled longer at the sides, higher in the middle. Trouble is, I have a round face so I'm just not sure if that would look so good, it's better on those with high foreheads...

YOU look awesome either way.

stachelbeere
April 21st, 2014, 08:36 AM
I like bangs on you :) they soften your features. but it's up to you whether you want to keep up with the maintenance :)

Elanadi
April 21st, 2014, 02:08 PM
I vote bangs, but I also just cut mine for the same reason. I look better with bangs, they soften my face. I think the extra 5 minutes in the morning to style them is totally worth feeling better about how I look. I grow mine out every few years, but I always end up cutting them back because I don't feel like me without bangs.

cat11
April 21st, 2014, 02:33 PM
I think you look good with them but I also think you look good without them, so if you're tired of them and youve had them awhile already, why not grow them out? Growing them out has some pretty awkward stages but once they get to the point where they will stay back in a ponytail/bun it's worth it and if you miss them you can always cut again. I used to have bangs for a long time but they were annoying because i had to wash them separately sometimes and would turn into a messy nuisance pretty quickly.